Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

ScienceSeagull posted:

She offered a bit more detail about his "theory" in the comments:

My ungrateful physicist son in law is making me feel like an idiot when I calmly explain him that I already solved physics by smoking weed and watching YouTube.

Edit: Just noticed that OP is a woman and now it all makes perfect sense in Boomer World. Father in law is a male, and therefore has the god-given right and obligation to explain the mysteries of the universe to the female.

The Alchemist fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Larry Cum Free posted:

AITA for ruining Thanksgiving because my Cousin Greg wouldn't stop farting on me?

Greg to OP:

You wanna get Greg to stop? Here's how you get him to stop. He pulls a fart, you pull a dookie. He makes one of yours feel sick, you make one of his blow chunks! That's the reddit way, and that's how you get Greg to stop!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Fart in Greg's mouth when he falls asleep on the couch after dinner.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Baronjutter posted:

I got some side eye buying a hidden spy cam disguised as a pen and very much marketed for perving, but it's also known in the model train world as the best quality camera you can mount on an N scale train to film your layout first person!

LOL and just try explaining that you are not a pervert, just a model train enthusiast, and that’s why you dress up in overalls and a little striped hat and invite all the neighborhood kids to come check out your train room.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's my hobby, therobit. Why you gotta belittle it?

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Larry Cum Free posted:

AITA for ruining Thanksgiving because my Cousin Greg wouldn't stop farting on me?

Greg to OP:

I uhhhhhh believe I just farted on you? This is, I guess, a practical joke? Your retaliation would be greatly appreciated in our little game that we have together

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
This one might be fake, but picturing it amuses me so here we are

AITA for getting myself kicked out of Sunday School?

quote:

I am the drama this week. I (16F) got myself kicked out of Sunday school at my step-dad’s church this weekend. My mom married Brad earlier this year. He has 4 kids (12F, 10M, 9M, 7M) that are with him most of the time, and to say their family is religious is like the understatement of all time. The daughter has to wear skirts all the time and can’t cut her hair and they’re all at church at least 3 times a week and have like family Bible time and stuff every day. I wouldn’t care except that now that my mom and Brad are married they expect me to participate and that’s just not my bag. I think it’s superstitious misogynistic nonsense and I always leave stuff at their church feeling icky. I tried to get my mom to let me go to my dad’s on Sundays to avoid conflict but that’s a nonstarter so far, so I try to avoid talking about it but Brad is like making it his personal mission to get me “saved” or something so the subject comes up regularly.

I finally put my foot down about not wanting to go to church with them and it turned into a big argument and my mom asked me to just go and keep the peace for the younger kids because it’s something we do as a family. So, I go and mostly just read, but I don’t lie about why I’m there or my religion if someone asks me a question. It pisses Brad and my mom off, but I figure if they don’t like it they can let me stay home.

The problem is that the Sunday school teacher for my age group is a real piece of work and thinks we’re all stupid because we’re teenage girls. So he likes to go into a lot of biblical Greek translation stuff to make himself look smart. The only thing is he’s almost always totally wrong. My dad sends me to private school and I took 2 years of Ancient Greek (taking Latin now) and I know he’s bullshitting people. So I brought an interlinear New Testament and a Koine Greek dictionary with me this week and when he got started I corrected him. Not mean, but just like “Wow, that’s not what it says here at all, can you explain more?” and “Oh, that’s weird because that’s not how Brill defines that word.”

Dude was turning red by the end of it and asked me to stop interrupting, so I just shrugged and said I was trying to learn. He told the pastor and the pastor told Brad that I’m not allowed to come to Sunday school anymore because I’m disrespectful. So Brad and my mom are mad and want me to apologize for derailing class instead of just getting through quietly, but I don’t know.

AITA?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they're not looking for people who read the Bible lmao

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

this christmas, can't we all just assume each and every story to be as true as the frost on our windshields? perhaps i have a soft spot for a girl willing to stand her ground against, as she described it and as i would as well, superstitious misogynistic nonsense

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This thread is only fun if you assume every story is probably fake, but that's exactly the kind of thing I would have said at 16

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Larry Cum Free posted:

Greg to OP:

Trying to figure how to it physically works to both grab someone by the collar and point your rear end at their stomach. Was it a blind collar grab behind the back? Is Greg a contortionist?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

cumpantry posted:

having a lol at this and more with commentary implying he was an abuser and etc etc. all he is, plainly, is a big baby having trouble letting go.

Eh, he doesn't clarify on what "I made it hard on her" means, so it's not hard to imagine he bullied the poo poo out of her until she, a girl evidently accustomed to abuse, chose to disappear in the night.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cumpantry posted:

this christmas, can't we all just assume each and every story to be as true as the frost on our windshields? perhaps i have a soft spot for a girl willing to stand her ground against, as she described it and as i would as well, superstitious misogynistic nonsense

You know what? If a lie sounds truer than the truth, just tell the loving lie. Like you know what? I didn’t have a childhood or know anything. I stepped out of a baphomet at age 19 and just started mouthfucking strangers.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for throwing away the expensive whiskey my brother got me for my 40th?

quote:

I'm 40M, just turned forty last week. I'm divorced and have 2 teenage kids with my ex wife, 17M and 14F.

My whole family came to my and my GF's appartment last Saturday for my birthday party: my parents, some aunts and uncles, some cousins, my 3 brothers with their families, my two kids (and my GF's 15yro son who lives with us).

I am a recovered alcoholic, I've been sober for 6 years now. Alcohol absolutely ruined my life, it destroyed my marriage and nuked my relationship with my kids for years. I don't allow alcohol in my home now, for anyone. It just isn't served or tolerated here. My entire family knows this very well, as they know my entire history with alcohol.

For my 40th, my brother bought me a very expensive bottle of whiskey, it had writing on it, a very heavy bottle and very old whiskey, so it probably cost him a couple hundred bucks.

When he gave me the bottle, I was shocked, and said I don't drink, but thanks for the gift. He then opened the bottle and started pouring shots in plastic cups for everyone. My daughter had a panic attack at the smell of the alcohol (which I am painfully aware is my fault and I will never forgive myself for it), so I told my brother to take the alcohol out on the balcony and just leave it there. He wouldn't do it, and took a shot of the whiskey.

I told him to seriously stop it and he proceeded to pour the whiskey. He then said I am acting like a sober saint now, when I ruined everyone's birthdays for years with my drinking. I told him to come to the hallway with me and talk it out. He refused and put a glass of whiskey in my hand.

I took the trash can, threw the whiskey bottle in it and the plastic cups, and took the trash out.

My brother then stormed off and my mom followed him. She later called me, demanding an apology for disrespecting my brother like that. My dad said I was being overly sensitive, and some of my other family members also agree.

Aita here?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

DoubleNegative posted:

AITA for canceling my girlfriend's christmas gift and not buying her another?

I feel like the thing to do if someone keeps snooping for Christmas gifts is to tell them right out the gate what you got them. Don't let them have any feeling of surprise opening up the gift, and take away the fun of snooping. And when they get upset, just remind them that they proved they couldn't be trusted to not act like a child.

Or break up with them because at that point trust is broken regardless.

He explains in the comments that she found out by getting into his phone/email, which is a terrifying level of dedication to her WTF obsession.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Better to be thought a pervert than confirm you're a model train enthusiast.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Das Boo posted:

Eh, he doesn't clarify on what "I made it hard on her" means, so it's not hard to imagine he bullied the poo poo out of her until she, a girl evidently accustomed to abuse, chose to disappear in the night.

This, plus I still don't think it's some comically high expectation that a 14 or 15 year old boy should take no for an answer instead of trying to talk a girl around.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Piell posted:

Tell me you're from a family of alcoholics without telling me.

Also, how loving insanely rude is it to gift someone a bottle, then take it from them to open it and pour drinks for everyone else at the party?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Piell posted:

what do you mean there's one single thing I can't do??? gently caress that!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

pentyne posted:

Also, how loving insanely rude is it to gift someone a bottle, then take it from them to open it and pour drinks for everyone else at the party?
And in plastic, no less. This is worse than the milky tea!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Piell posted:

how in any world would you think you're the rear end in a top hat in this situation. you wouldn't have been the rear end in a top hat even if you'd have brained him with the bottle.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

cumpantry posted:

My late mother got kicked out of Mormon church classes by "just asking questions" about how men get to go on missions and women don't.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Das Boo posted:

i wish he left more comments or at least answered a challenging INFO. he reeks of scumbag, but what the hell actually happened?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Solkanar512 posted:

My late mother got kicked out of Mormon church classes by "just asking questions" about how men get to go on missions and women don't.

Women do go on missions.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

haveblue posted:

Trying to figure how to it physically works to both grab someone by the collar and point your rear end at their stomach. Was it a blind collar grab behind the back? Is Greg a contortionist?

Greg is at least a brown belt in judo.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
greg the farting judoka is always welcome at my holiday parties

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

pentyne posted:

I assume the explanation is that the brother has been thinking “I want the old Jim back, that guy was hilarious” and figured that opening the bottle and the spot to pass out the booze might help peer-pressure OP to joining in.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

AceClown posted:

how in any world would you think you're the rear end in a top hat in this situation. you wouldn't have been the rear end in a top hat even if you'd have brained him with the bottle.

I thought that's where the story was going and would also have said the OP was not the rear end in a top hat had it happened.

E:

MagusofStars posted:

I assume the explanation is that the brother has been thinking “I want the old Jim back, that guy was hilarious” and figured that opening the bottle and the spot to pass out the booze might help peer-pressure OP to joining in.

The brother makes a dig about how the OP ruined birthdays with his drinking, so I think maybe the OP's family are the type of person to think "Oh, you haven't drunk in X amount of time. That means you're good to drink, you just have to control yourself."

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 20, 2022

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, OO b little enough as it is!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

PizzaProwler posted:

Women do go on missions.

Not back then, and not that particular ward. Don't generalize or call my dead mother a liar.

Edit: I knew someone was going to say this but I was just hoping folks would realize that maybe, just maybe that individual situations in the past might not always follow the specific rules set out now.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Batterypowered7 posted:

I thought that's where the story was going and would also have said the OP was not the rear end in a top hat had it happened.

E:

The brother makes a dig about how the OP ruined birthdays with his drinking, so I think maybe the OP's family are the type of person to think "Oh, you haven't drunk in X amount of time. That means you're good to drink, you just have to control yourself."

Or the brother prefers a world in which the OP is a messed-up alcoholic who make him look good by comparison.
Anyone who fucks with a person's sobriety is beyond evil.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Even if the op was an rear end in a top hat in the past with their drunken behaviour, how does the brother get it in his head that the way to deal with that is to try and get him drunk again and re-traumatise his nieces. What a shithead. The parents suck too, for defending the guy who tried to make a former alcoholic drink again

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Solkanar512 posted:

Not back then, and not that particular ward. Don't generalize or call my dead mother a liar.

Edit: I knew someone was going to say this but I was just hoping folks would realize that maybe, just maybe that individual situations in the past might not always follow the specific rules set out now.

You don't understand, the most important thing is to defend the honor of the reactionary shitheads of the mormon church because...

uh well I'm sure there's some reason

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Foo Diddley posted:

how do you type out "so my Mom came over to wash my sheets, vacuum, and wash my floors" and not immediately feel like the most pathetic goddamn baby on earth. seriously, how do you post that to reddit and still think "yes, i am a man and an adult" afterward. how do you admit, out loud, in real life, to your adult girlfriend, that your mom has to do this poo poo for you

what the gently caress is wrong with this goddamn infant

OTOH, I am fifty years old, married, with two kids and when my mom comes for a visit she does our laundry, cooks, cleans. And we are grateful for every drat second she helps out like that.

Although I supposed it's different because my mom coming over isn't the only time those things get done.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bruceski posted:

Better to be thought a pervert than confirm you're a model train enthusiast.

But you repeat yourself

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Even if the op was an rear end in a top hat in the past with their drunken behaviour, how does the brother get it in his head that the way to deal with that is to try and get him drunk again and re-traumatise his nieces. What a shithead. The parents suck too, for defending the guy who tried to make a former alcoholic drink again

I'm leaning towards brother deciding a milestone birthday was the perfect occasion to shame OP for his behaviour, presumably also at other people's special occasions. "Haha, I'll get one back on that rear end in a top hat who ruined poo poo for all of us by being a drunk!" Something like that, I'm guessing.

Not that I'm suggesting what he did was right at all.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Chocolate Bunny posted:

It's an entire family of alcoholics, and when the OP got himself straight and put his life back together and was kind of a wet (dry?) blanket at parties, they interpret that as him acting like he was better than them, and so this whole event was meant to take him down a peg, get him off his high horse. It was absolutely an attempt to sabotage his sobriety.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Halloween Jack posted:

I have no doubt that almost all model train enthusiasts are no more perverted than the general male population, and I have met some really cool guys who are into that hobby.
But the social stigma of it remains unfortunately.

Piell posted:

AceClown posted:

you wouldn't have been the rear end in a top hat even if you'd have brained him with the bottle.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Or more that there are years of pent up frustration by the OP's family that manifests as, "gently caress you, OP. You are going to gently caress up all of our Christmases and feel like it's all good because you are sober now? I'mma gonna gently caress up all of yours and drag your whole family into more turmoil if you relapse, but gently caress that because I am MAD goddammit."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solkanar512 posted:

Are you really pearlclutching and bringing up your dead mom to “win” a discussion on loving something awful

Go outside