Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don’t mind when people cut my deck because at least then I can’t blame myself for my typically insanely bad starting 7s. For most people though yeah I’ll wave it off unless they want me to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I always cut, either in FNM Draft, or Commander.

Even with people I've been playing with since, like, Fifth Dawn. It's just habit now. But, I also know they wash their hands, or won't rip up my sleeves.

From my commander games today, I managed to get out a 152/152 Phyrexian Horror token, while having Kiki Jiki out, but couldn't even get them to last on the board to attack. That would have made all my Timmy dreams come true.

Also my attempts to use Echoing Equation to turn my board into copies of Ivy, Gleeful Spell Thief and put Bear Umbra on them all was also thwarted.

Bad night!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It just gets tedious, imo. I feel like at the tables I've played at, we cut at the start of games as a show of good will or "lol I'm gonna put the top card of your deck in the middle" just for laughs, but in-game it's just a bit much, especially in a tutor-heavy game.

Eventually it just becomes "yeah I watched you shuffle, you're good".

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
So im kinda fed up with my garth legendary tribal deck and im gonna break it apart. Does anyone have suggestions for 5 color decks that are decently priced? not really sure what i want the deck to be but i feel like abusing storm or making a burn deck would be interesting. I also would not be averse to checking out mill decks.

E: gently caress it. if nothing can be decided, then i wouldn't mind some goblin deck if they're any strong.

E2: or slivers.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 19, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Dizz posted:

So im kinda fed up with my garth legendary tribal deck and im gonna break it apart. Does anyone have suggestions for 5 color decks that are decently priced? not really sure what i want the deck to be but i feel like abusing storm or making a burn deck would be interesting. I also would not be averse to checking out mill decks.

E: gently caress it. if nothing can be decided, then i wouldn't mind some goblin deck if they're any strong.

Kenrith lets you do everything. New Jodah loves legendaries.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Batterypowered7 posted:

Kenrith lets you do everything. New Jodah loves legendaries.

yeah i've seen them but it's still the same end result of me not being very satisfied with it, but that's because i made this deck without any real inspiration at all.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Dizz posted:

The majority of the good storm stuff is in Izzet/Grixis so going 5 colours is just going to dilute the deck too much I think. Grixis is good for mill but you're really just drawing or tutoring for a game ending combo that feels like every other game ending combo. My friend has a mill deck with no infinite combos or tutors and it mostly just feeds graveyard decks.

Slivers can be terrifying in a mid-power game, assuming your mana base offers lots of early fixing.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Combine Storm and Mill and Brain Freeze the table in one go.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
got to play Most Dangerous Gamer today. Wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, like, super inconsistent obviously, but once you have 10+ attractions out, lol, basically guaranteed something nice each turn. Didn't win, but one opponent got a good run and we didn't draw good enough removal in time. I Saw in Half on my own attraction-etb creatures was a fun combo, especially since I kept getting it back randomly from a haunted attraction. Might swap a few cards here and there, this was the first commander deck I made from scratch and think there are even some new tools I could consider.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I was all gung-ho for my stupid dice rolling deck until I discovered that you only roll for attractions on your upkeep--they don't proc every time you roll a dice like I thought. I still have it together and it's still goofy but it's not the dice rolling extravaganza that I thought it was going to be.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

I brought my Drake posted:

I was all gung-ho for my stupid dice rolling deck until I discovered that you only roll for attractions on your upkeep--they don't proc every time you roll a dice like I thought. I still have it together and it's still goofy but it's not the dice rolling extravaganza that I thought it was going to be.

I went full-stupid and made a voltron-via-stickers deck. Because really, Rograkh deserves to be a 10/10 who also makes you Scry for some reason.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

I really hate it when commanders like the new Jodah become popular. Either everyone's packing and drawing board wipes or you get to watch the Jodah player play solitaire.

I mean, thematically Jodah is cool, but when a deck is strong and has a singular focus that everyone has to deal with quickly or it just snowballs out of control, the deck just isn't interesting to me and is boring to play against. Chulane was the same way.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

A deck like the new Jodah is strong, but any deck where the table potentially watches someone play solitaire is a power level issue more than a design issue.

Lots of commanders have strategies and abilities that snowball really really quickly. If you're at a table where that's okay, you should either be playing a deck with that kind of explosive power, or a control/stax deck capable of hanging in that environment. Jodah is balanced when the Jodah player typically also looks at someone else's boardstate and thinks they're in trouble if they don't do something.

The game works better when everyone at the table is a viable threat at all times. The default state of a game of EDH should be "I'm in danger," not neutral safety until someone breaches the peace.

I do agree that a lot of strong decks are uninteresting and linear to play. A deck like Sisay, for instance, that just tutors out a chain of legendary creatures in the same order (because each one generates mana/untaps/etc. to get the next one) is fun in the sense that you get a bunch of powerful cards out reliably, but boring in the sense that you either get your fifteen legendaries/planeswalkers by putting mana into your commander and immediately win, or your deck doesn't do anything. Games with more play/counterplay and game actions end up being more engaging, IMO.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The solitaire thing is something I don't usually experience in my playgroup but I played at an LGS against a Kinnan, Bonder Prodigy deck and I think that may have been the single most unfun game I've ever played in four or five years of commander. From turn 2 just a miserable time.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

A deck like the new Jodah is strong, but any deck where the table potentially watches someone play solitaire is a power level issue more than a design issue.

Lots of commanders have strategies and abilities that snowball really really quickly. If you're at a table where that's okay, you should either be playing a deck with that kind of explosive power, or a control/stax deck capable of hanging in that environment. Jodah is balanced when the Jodah player typically also looks at someone else's boardstate and thinks they're in trouble if they don't do something.

The game works better when everyone at the table is a viable threat at all times. The default state of a game of EDH should be "I'm in danger," not neutral safety until someone breaches the peace.

I do agree that a lot of strong decks are uninteresting and linear to play. A deck like Sisay, for instance, that just tutors out a chain of legendary creatures in the same order (because each one generates mana/untaps/etc. to get the next one) is fun in the sense that you get a bunch of powerful cards out reliably, but boring in the sense that you either get your fifteen legendaries/planeswalkers by putting mana into your commander and immediately win, or your deck doesn't do anything. Games with more play/counterplay and game actions end up being more engaging, IMO.

*takes a 20 minute turn with Sisay/Jegantha, tapping and untapping her, bringing out various planeswalkers and eventually comboing with The Chain Veil*

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I built a Jodah deck so I could play all the Transformers cards so I can report that the key to making a Jodah deck nobody complains about is to use really lovely creatures

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I built a Jodah deck so I could play all the Transformers cards so I can report that the key to making a Jodah deck nobody complains about is to use really lovely creatures

Just put in all those vanilla legendaries and somehow still win 'cause they just get massive.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I brought my Drake posted:

Yeah, woulda loved a card or two that forces an attractions re-visit mid-turn. They are all so random and janky doesn't seem like it'd be busted. I like the idea of it and hope it's revisited in other sets, unlikely, but like I think it would be applicable to tons of non-joke settings. We already have lands but they are more mana than they are representing places, Attractions are a neat way to get a little closer to the various things that are interesting about various settings that aren't animate beings or abstract actions, just places/attractions.

Centaur of Attraction is the ultimate dice-rolling card, especially if you saw in half her. 15 dice rolls from one creature!

I think comet might be the better die-rolling commander theme. oh nvm limited colors there

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

I'm thinking of building Liberator, Urza's Battlethopter. Looking for suggestions for artifacts or colourless spells that get significantly better with flash.

(note: I was not playing during the Eldrazi sets, so I don't have any of the usual big scary Eldrazi you normally see in colourless decks)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

generatrix posted:

I'm thinking of building Liberator, Urza's Battlethopter. Looking for suggestions for artifacts or colourless spells that get significantly better with flash.

(note: I was not playing during the Eldrazi sets, so I don't have any of the usual big scary Eldrazi you normally see in colourless decks)

Shimmer Myr, for one. Probably Vedalken Orrery. You'll want some of the usual big scary Eldrazi and others (both Ulamog, both Kozilek, the non-banned Emrakul, Bane of Bala Ged, Conduit of Ruin, Oblivion Sower). Hangarback Walker; Sanctum of Ugin; Ugin, the Spirit Dragon; Ugin, the Ineffable; Emergence Zone; Shrine of the Forsaken Gods; Demolition Field; Blightsteel Colossus; All is Dust; Unwinding Clock; Wandering Archaic; Cityscape Leveler; Commander's Plate; Cosmos Elixir?; Forsaken Monument; Mystic Forge; God-Pharaoh's Statue

Not all of those are just significantly better with Flash, but may be worth considering.

E:

As much Artifact ramp as you can manage.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

i really dont want a sliver deck but i feel like i'd loving regret it if i didn't. are all the cards expensive or just the commanders?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Dizz posted:

i really dont want a sliver deck but i feel like i'd loving regret it if i didn't. are all the cards expensive or just the commanders?

https://scryfall.com/search?q=t%3ASliver&order=name&as=full

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

generatrix posted:

All spells become significantly better with flash. :)

Big poo poo for Liberator specifically are Unwinding Clock, Welding Jar, and removal like Duplicant or All is Dust.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

generatrix posted:

Unwinding clock, which someone said, probably some of the rocks that also let you pay to draw since presumably you're going to make a lot of mana, and then huge artifacts that you can drop on your predators' endstep and swing at someone right away, like blightsteel collosus.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Some of the colorless Lessons are decent too, like the 5cmc removal spell and Mascot Exhibition

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

generatrix posted:

Triggered abilities seem like the king here, especially protection based ones.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

Triggered abilities seem like the king here, especially protection based ones.

Anything that triggers on upkeep and would normally require surviving three other players' turns seems like it would benefit from being cast right before your turn.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

jesus there's so much and not much can be done with them.

I think I want overlord as my commander even though the cascade one seems like it'd poo poo out far more.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Dizz posted:

jesus there's so much and not much can be done with them.

I think I want overlord as my commander even though the cascade one seems like it'd poo poo out far more.

Don't forget that Morophon is also a Sliver!

E:

And don't forget the best Sliver: Chameleon Colossus

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I actually really like Taurean Mauler in tribal decks. It’s a fun and flirty way to have an 8/8 on t4, it generates counters if you care about that, lots of good times with tauren mauler.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Chakan posted:

I actually really like Taurean Mauler in tribal decks. It’s a fun and flirty way to have an 8/8 on t4, it generates counters if you care about that, lots of good times with tauren mauler.

That's the second best Sliver.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

a sliver deck that contains no slivers sounds awesome.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Realmwalker is a good sliver too since it keeps you with consistent drops.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Dizz posted:

Mono-blue "slivers" with Mistform Ultimus as the commander.

also: thanks everyone for the suggestions... Probably going to go down the "triggers on upkeep" path to see what shenanigans I can include.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Mono black Endrek Sahr thrulls/slivers/shapeshifters as a slightly different sacrifice big mana deck

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dizz posted:

I prefer the ur-dragon deck with no dragons

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I've seen Bold Bend used in some cEDH lists but not Ricochet Trap. Is it because Ricochet Trap only hits spells?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I've seen Bold Bend used in some cEDH lists but not Ricochet Trap. Is it because Ricochet Trap only hits spells?

It's just the balance of how easy it is to get online vs useability. If you can't easily set Ferocious, Bend doesn't really help. If you're more worried about counterspells, then Trap is better.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

It's because Ricochet trap doesn't do anything about someone tossing Swords or other non-blue spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

It's because Ricochet trap doesn't do anything about someone tossing Swords or other non-blue spells.

It does, just not at a discount.