Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

There’s no way SH 2’s themes and subtext won’t be obnoxiously crammed down your throat in this remake. The trailer shot with him staring at the noose and very anxiously reaching towards it had my eyes rolling out of my head and down the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

man nurse posted:

There’s no way SH 2’s themes and subtext won’t be obnoxiously crammed down your throat in this remake. The trailer shot with him staring at the noose and very anxiously reaching towards it had my eyes rolling out of my head and down the street.

That's a scene in the original. He pulls on the noose to open a hole to jump down, as James is wont to do

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

TheWorldsaStage posted:

That's a scene in the original. He pulls on the noose to open a hole to jump down, as James is wont to do

I know. But the way they embellished it for the trailer was very on the nose.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

man nurse posted:

I know. But the way they embellished it for the trailer was very on the noose.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Vermain posted:

it's actually kind of surprising that companies haven't branched out more into doing indie collabs, where they loan out the IP and some resources and get solid lower rent titles out of the deal. if i were konami, i'd absolutely trust handing out the license to a team that's already proven that they know how to make classic style survival horror and can tell an interesting, cerebral story to boot

Didn't they do this twice? :v:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

man nurse posted:

I know. But the way they embellished it for the trailer was very on the nose.

Not really? I don't like Bloober Team either but that scene takes about the same amount of time in the trailer and original and I feel like you're reading into it too much. The only difference is that James has a blank facial expression when he does it in the original, but he has a blank expression for most of the game in the original, while that wouldn't fly in a modern remake.

In the making of Silent Hill 3 video, they talk about advances in technology which make characters more expressive and giving a greater variety of facial animations; if Silent Hill 2 was made using the tech from Silent Hill 3 he'd probably have a similar expression as he does in the remake trailer.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That's a fair point. I've seen bits from that Crisis Core remake that has the models and stuff from the FF7R remake, but it's clear that they didn't have the budget to do motion capture or whatever, so Tifa's there with a completely blank expression and it definitely sets off the uncanny valley ouvre.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Bogart posted:

That's a fair point. I've seen bits from that Crisis Core remake that has the models and stuff from the FF7R remake, but it's clear that they didn't have the budget to do motion capture or whatever, so Tifa's there with a completely blank expression and it definitely sets off the uncanny valley ouvre.

Crisis Core is more or less running off the old code from the PSP version and Square just updated the graphics and did other fixes. It's mentioned in an interview somewhere.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
While my little heart can't really handle being stalked gameplay-wise, I love the yandere vibes of "lady really wants to kill you", so my partner and I will be playing this together over the holidays:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2067790/Crimson_Snow/

:getin:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I am more than a little annoyed that, atrocious writing aside, the Outlast Trials closed beta footage I'm seeing floating around youtube makes the co-op gameplay seem fairly competently designed. I don't particularly want Red Barrels to have any kind of success with OutDongs.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 20, 2022

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
You can now experience the horror of cock with a friend!

Anyways I am playing Fear & Hunger and weeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Read After Burning posted:

While my little heart can't really handle being stalked gameplay-wise, I love the yandere vibes of "lady really wants to kill you", so my partner and I will be playing this together over the holidays:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2067790/Crimson_Snow/

:getin:

I watched a video of this game, seemed ok actually

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I watched a video of this game, seemed ok actually

I like how she seems to actually double back to check rooms again. We'll be playing it over the holidays this weekend/next week, I'll let y'all know how it is!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Vermain posted:

it's actually kind of surprising that companies haven't branched out more into doing indie collabs, where they loan out the IP and some resources and get solid lower rent titles out of the deal. if i were konami, i'd absolutely trust handing out the license to a team that's already proven that they know how to make classic style survival horror and can tell an interesting, cerebral story to boot
Not sure we’d be in a better position. The “let a thousand flowers bloom” approach that, say, Warhammer is allowed to take hasn’t produced anything revelatory and things would be a lot worse if people had actual expectations. Like with Warhammer, it’s not at all expected that you be narratively or thematically creative - you’d be a fool to try.

SH meanwhile is a very notorious wiki sperg IP. Nobody is like “hell, I won’t love any of the three janky Homecoming clones this year, but I’ll play them”. They’ll get even more demoralized about the state of things, get more toxic about how no one is doing the series justice. Indie devs are better off keeping their two-steps-above-shovelware walking sims and PT clones generic.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Put another way, you’re going to get a thousand Bloober Team-caliber efforts for every one that is pretty good but still judged harshly for not being SH2 (Shattered Memories)

Let Star Wars be a lesson - don’t give the nerds what they want

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Vermain posted:

Isn't this what the original idea for Square Enix's Collective was, let indies try to crowd fund stuff of their less used IPs? though I think only Fear Effect Sedna was actually an existing IP, but they also let the people behind GNOG/GoodBye Volcano High do an expansion for Lara Croft GO.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Basic Chunnel posted:

Put another way, you’re going to get a thousand Bloober Team-caliber efforts for every one that is pretty good but still judged harshly for not being SH2 (Shattered Memories)

Let Star Wars be a lesson - don’t give the nerds what they want

It's funny you say that but I can't really think of any strictly bad Star Wars games, despite a lot of them being weird fanboy games. Galaxies was probably the biggest of all and it had a lot of issues but it was still well liked. But even random games like Star Wars Bounty Hunter kicked rear end.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's funny you say that but I can't really think of any strictly bad Star Wars games, despite a lot of them being weird fanboy games. Galaxies was probably the biggest of all and it had a lot of issues but it was still well liked. But even random games like Star Wars Bounty Hunter kicked rear end.

Star Wars Kinect? Which I'm now realising is made by the same company that did Nocturne and BloodRayne.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hel posted:

Star Wars Kinect? Which I'm now realising is made by the same company that did Nocturne and BloodRayne.

I really liked Nocturne at the time, no idea if it would be any good these days though.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Iron Crowned posted:

I really liked Nocturne at the time, no idea if it would be any good these days though.

I replayed it earlier this year, it absolutely still hold up.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hel posted:

Isn't this what the original idea for Square Enix's Collective was, let indies try to crowd fund stuff of their less used IPs? though I think only Fear Effect Sedna was actually an existing IP, but they also let the people behind GNOG/GoodBye Volcano High do an expansion for Lara Croft GO.

riot did it with the league IP, but it was one of those "time to launch this program immediately before covid" situations, so the most we've gotten is an actually pretty good JRPG (ruined king) and another platformer title that might see the light of day eventually

i do think it requires a good amount of quality control to make sure you're not cranking out turkeys, but handing off the property to diverse interests can produce surprising results. like, yeah, disney star wars is mostly loving drivel, but then they handed it off to tony gilroy and got probably the biggest shot in the arm to the franchise's longevity in years out of it

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Hel posted:

I'm sorry, I cannot hear this slander against the game that brought us "Hologram Girl"

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_FoEy8T_A

I think about this video at least once a week

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

I think he was talking more about the final trilogy, which was full of fan service and pleased no one.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm sitting here, mouth wide open as Han Solo does the Trash Compactor.

What the gently caress did I just watch.

This is actually some kind of horror game isn't it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Star Wars Kinect is a treasure.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The extended universe was amazing and Star Wars actively got worse the more Disney tried to rein it in. Even now the best Star Wars material is discount boba fett who is cooler than boba fett and discount Han Solo from a footnote movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The game where you're a rancor just destroying the poo poo out of things is also a radical time imo

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm so happy the carbonite is gone
I'm moving on

That game was a trip, maybe the only good worthwhile kinect game

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CuddleCryptid posted:

I remember thinking Force Unleashed II was hot garbage, but it turned out it got pretty thoroughly screwed by behind-the-scenes drama.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I played both Force Unleashed games in the last year or so, the second one definitely had its share of flaws but I still enjoyed it. I think because it felt small enough in scale that running around doing over-the-top force stuff as Badass Mcgee for a couple afternoons worked fine despite the issues. If it was anything more than that, they problems would've started to bug me a lot more.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

TheAnomaly posted:

I think he was talking more about the final trilogy, which was full of fan service and pleased no one.

This basically! Star Wars games haven’t been terrible by and large, I’m just saying that in terms of “IP support” and “brand health” we could be getting worse than the nothing we’ve had with Silent Hill, here.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Played through the rest of Who's Lila? and got all but 3 achievements so I'm calling it done. Really enjoyed the game, though trying to get the last few endings got a little annoying and I looked up how to get them. I missed a few secrets but I don't really care to get them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I've now watched a bunch of playthroughs of the Outlast Trials beta and am far, far less impressed. It's too early to be certain, but I also think the devs appear likely to be pursuing an even worse line of narrative than the previous games, which I didn't think was possible.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm getting around to finishing some games I didn't get to before the New Year and Signalis has been really good so far. Immediately gripping story, decidedly retro aesthetic while not using that as an excuse to look like a total piece of crap, begins as most great survival horror games do looking at a photograph in a bathroom. However, I do think that if you need a letter in the pump room explaining exactly how to do the puzzle, then maybe just come up with a new puzzle IDK. I heard there are multiple endings depending on how you play the game ala SH2 so I'm looking forward to seeing which one I get based on my usual style of hoarding ammo and never fighting anything in case I need it later.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

exquisite tea posted:

I'm getting around to finishing some games I didn't get to before the New Year and Signalis has been really good so far. Immediately gripping story, decidedly retro aesthetic while not using that as an excuse to look like a total piece of crap, begins as most great survival horror games do looking at a photograph in a bathroom. However, I do think that if you need a letter in the pump room explaining exactly how to do the puzzle, then maybe just come up with a new puzzle IDK. I heard there are multiple endings depending on how you play the game ala SH2 so I'm looking forward to seeing which one I get based on my usual style of hoarding ammo and never fighting anything in case I need it later.

That letter must have been added after playtesting or something. It makes it such a complete non-puzzle entirely.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I am glad they added that, because that is one of those puzzles I have never been able to get the hang of. I dunno, that particular one is just. Incompatible with my brain's OS or something, and every time it appears in a game I groan.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
more like Towers of Oh Boy

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Morpheus posted:

That letter must have been added after playtesting or something. It makes it such a complete non-puzzle entirely.

it's the kind of thing you'd only ever find in an indie game with a shoestring budget where they can hire on a couple of people to rigorously playtest it after everything's been largely completed, and it would require a bunch of awkward reshuffling of assets and pacing to repair it, so slapping a prima guide page on the desk next to it is your next best bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Discendo Vox posted:

I've now watched a bunch of playthroughs of the Outlast Trials beta and am far, far less impressed. It's too early to be certain, but I also think the devs appear likely to be pursuing an even worse line of narrative than the previous games, which I didn't think was possible.

It seems like they’ve given up on storytelling completely and just went with a barebones excuse to throw spooky poo poo at the player.

Which, considering how Outlast 2 went, is an improvement in every possible way