Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

VostokProgram posted:

So there's basically nothing to tell us why Shadow was made in the form of a hedgehog?

The Hidden Palace Mural from Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Biolizard was based off the Perfect Chaos mural in SA1's Lost World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don’t remember if the thing with the murals was ever confirmed but it makes a lot of sense that Gerald would’ve seen them since other stuff like the Artificial Chaos and the shrine in the ARK’s core point to him having researched the echidna ruins.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Chieves posted:

Looking back at SA2, it is kind of beautiful how balls to the wall Sonic Team went, especially with how this really was potentially a swan song for Sega and possibly the franchise as a whole. Not everything landed (Kart Racing), but man, they WENT for it.

When I got my Gamecube afterwards, I was a bit confused. What do you mean, Super Mario Sunshine doesn't have multiple playable characters, each with their own gameplay style and genre of music?

No multiplayer mode, no racing minigame, no free downloadable content, no GBA connectivity, no buttrock final boss theme and vocal ending music, no goddamn reward for 100% completion, and no pet raising minigame that could have been its own full price release.

Challenge video that doesn't disappoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzarFO0LYag

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

A secret research project for immortality in space, anime AIDS NIDS, Eggman's grandpa being executed by firing squad, Sonic leaping through the sun roof of the president's car, a giant lizard with life support systems welded onto it trying to crash a colony into Earth, said lizard being a prototype for a hedgehog, and said hedgehog being on a quest for revenge because of either implanted or misunderstood memories of a girl getting shot by a government agency called GUN: good.

The Black Arms and heterochromia general: bad.

I don't make the rules

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i like the black arms

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
heeeeeeeey shadoooooow

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

im sorry for inflicting this upon sonic yhread, but if you are like me hopelessly addicted to godawful, overwrought game journo features, this one from RPS on frontiers is a banger:

Rock Paper Shotgun posted:

The Sonic fanbase is vehemently post-truth, and has been since the Sega Saturn was a thing. It’s a fanbase I have found myself increasingly alienated from, and whose anger seems to have dramatically increased with its unwarranted self-assurednes

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

In regards to them thinking Froniters is bad or what?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
that quote sounds deranged

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fuligin posted:

im sorry for inflicting this upon sonic yhread, but if you are like me hopelessly addicted to godawful, overwrought game journo features, this one from RPS on frontiers is a banger:

lmao

Veotax
May 16, 2006

RPS has had their collective heads up their asses for a very long time. Stopped reading the site ages ago.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I don't which one is funnier "vehemently post-truth" or "unwarranted self-assuredness"

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I guess RPS picked up the torch from IGN

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

womb with a view posted:

A secret research project for immortality in space, anime AIDS NIDS, Eggman's grandpa being executed by firing squad, Sonic leaping through the sun roof of the president's car, a giant lizard with life support systems welded onto it trying to crash a colony into Earth, said lizard being a prototype for a hedgehog, and said hedgehog being on a quest for revenge because of either implanted or misunderstood memories of a girl getting shot by a government agency called GUN: good.

The Black Arms and heterochromia general: bad.

I don't make the rules

Watching the Cell arc around the same time as this game coming out was like discovering something you never knew you wanted but now can't get enough of.

I love every time a game journalist plays a classic Sonic game and immediately forgets everything they ever knew about games. "Where am I supposed to go? Does this game seriously expect me to stop and pick up every ring?"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yeah that's an automatic a rank

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Looper posted:

yeah that's an automatic a rank

except for all the stages where that is impossible or near-impossible because of rings left at the map origin or embedded in the stage geometry

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

skill issue

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Wonderful things are happening in the Frontiers modding community!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePSTWTVpxy8

Augus posted:

I don’t remember if the thing with the murals was ever confirmed but it makes a lot of sense that Gerald would’ve seen them since other stuff like the Artificial Chaos and the shrine in the ARK’s core point to him having researched the echidna ruins.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

The Hidden Palace Mural from Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Biolizard was based off the Perfect Chaos mural in SA1's Lost World.

Looper posted:

"it's a stock sound effect" is the new " hydrocity isn't a word"

In the spirit of the holidays I’ll forgive you and allow you to believe in falsehoods

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
:cheers:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Wonderful things are happening in the Frontiers modding community!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePSTWTVpxy8

Beautiful. Plus a nice reminder on how great the boss tracks were

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Fuligin posted:

That’s one twatty piece of writing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

That’s one twatty piece of writing.

yeah it's RPS

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That loving Sned posted:

When I got my Gamecube afterwards, I was a bit confused. What do you mean, Super Mario Sunshine doesn't have multiple playable characters, each with their own gameplay style and genre of music?

Sonic Adventure 2 was better than Mario Sunshine just like Sonic Adventure 1 was better than Mario 64

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The RPS reminds me of during that game awards poll thing, Imran Khan going "LOOK AT HOW AWFUL THE SONIC FANDOM IS" and pointing at a tweet that was like "let's go baby #SonicSweep" as his proof.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

Sonic Adventure 2 was better than Mario Sunshine just like Sonic Adventure 1 was better than Mario 64

Okay let's not slander Mario 64, Mario 64 is one of the greatest speedgames of all time and basically invented the good 3D platformer.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

flavor.flv posted:

Sonic Adventure 2 was better than Mario Sunshine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFlVDQ25rxU

quote:

just like Sonic Adventure 1 was better than Mario 64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKEZFRcuEqw

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
i'll play sa1 over mario 64 any day of the week

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

backwards long jumping is, tragically, way more cool and win than any movement technique in any 3D sonic except maybe the magnet dash trick in Frontiers

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flavor.flv posted:

SA1 is better than Mario Sunshine too, to be fair.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
So is Heroes and 06

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mario Sunshine actually has incredibly good handling, it's just they only made half of the levels they were supposed to make and half of what they did make was bad.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

Okay let's not slander Mario 64, Mario 64 is one of the greatest speedgames of all time and basically invented the good 3D platformer.

Did it have a Chao garden though? Nope

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Chao Garden in SA1DC is crap. SA2B/SADX is when it got good.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The DC Chao gardens walked so the GameCube ones could run

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

:chaostrump:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah, Mario 64 and SA2 are still the kings of the genre for me.

I've tried a few modern indie 3D platformers, but I don't want a triple jump or zero inertia. I don't want a big scavenger hunt like Banjo or Yooka-Laylee. I don't want a bunch of 2D segments where they also remove half of your moveset.

DoctorWhat posted:

The Chao Garden in SA1DC is crap. SA2B/SADX is when it got good.

I like the energy they have. The garden music, race music and even the animations on the chao are much more uptempo. Just look at the spin they all do before they enter the race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO3F06eESz8&t=15s

Everything's a lot more calm and relaxed in SA2, which fits the mode a lot more but it's fun to see a different take on it.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 21, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jesus Christ, Chacron moves like a speedboat when he hits the water

Speaking of modding Frontiers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LceIQUrZAwU

E: and something less cursed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F2xYsZCH1Y

Dabir fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 21, 2022

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Fuligin posted:

I love quotes like this because it's always some super stuffy journos trying to convince people Sonic was never good, the blue blur had a rocky transition to 3d yadda yadda, meanwhile we're here chilling, posting funny mods, cool theories, great music, and vibing with the fun little games.

what I mean to say is, I miss Beep by grandpa.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Donkey Kong 64 is better than the majority of 3D Sonics :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

Yeah, Mario 64 and SA2 are still the kings of the genre for me.

I've tried a few modern indie 3D platformers, but I don't want a triple jump or zero inertia. I don't want a big scavenger hunt like Banjo or Yooka-Laylee. I don't want a bunch of 2D segments where they also remove half of your moveset.

I like the energy they have. The garden music, race music and even the animations on the chao are much more uptempo. Just look at the spin they all do before they enter the race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO3F06eESz8&t=15s

Everything's a lot more calm and relaxed in SA2, which fits the mode a lot more but it's fun to see a different take on it.

lmao giving everyone else a 40 second headstart and still winning handily