Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Jesus christ the zombies killed loving everyone why did I make the necromancer my mayor I got so complacent till a small siege of goblins came! :cripes:

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Macdoo posted:

Does anybody know what the gently caress is going on? Like 40 of my dwarves are brawling with each other. They're killing kids, murdering each other. None of them were in a bad mood or wanting for anything at all??? WHAT IS GOING ON???
That sounds like a loyalty cascade, which occurred when a member of a group does something hostile to the group and gets marked an enemy of the group without being removed from it, so anyone who attacks him for being an enemy is also flagged as an enemy of the group.

I wasn't aware those could still happen.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bring him in!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
When those happen do I need to manually interview everyone in my drat fort or will the guard captain actually do things on his own?

The grand "someone had their blood drained!" mystery was easy to solve because you just accuse the one monochrome dwarf, but everything else seems like it'd just be tedious

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i got one of those headless -1 childrens

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Azhais posted:

When those happen do I need to manually interview everyone in my drat fort or will the guard captain actually do things on his own?

The grand "someone had their blood drained!" mystery was easy to solve because you just accuse the one monochrome dwarf, but everything else seems like it'd just be tedious

There are usually witnesses that implicate a specific dwarf. You can either interview that guy and get him to confess or I guess just lock him up.

Edit: Although, there is a bug where the names on the witness list use one version of the dwarf's last name and the interview list uses another so you sometime have to interview everyone with the same first name to find the right one.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Does magma from underneath magma-powered buildings need to touch an exact tile on the 3x3? It did in the old version, but the new ones look different

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Broken Cog posted:

Bring him in!

Incredible content

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Nosre posted:

Does magma from underneath magma-powered buildings need to touch an exact tile on the 3x3? It did in the old version, but the new ones look different

You could always power magma buildings from any of the 9 squares. You wanted to put the opening under one of the impassible tiles (8 on the furnaces, 4/6 on the forge) to keep stuff from crawling out, but that wasn't required for it to operate.

I'm 90% sure this still applies in the exact same way.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nosre posted:

nah but you should still use the impassable tile to prevent magmacrabs from climbing in

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Azhais posted:

I don't think there's much of a downside to just convicting them immediately if it's obvious they're the guilty party, but I like to at least do an interview of the main suspects anyway, because sometimes you can discover accomplices.
I'm not entirely sure what it does though, other than finding out who paid one of your dwarves to steal an artifact and such. It feels a bit half-baked at the moment.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Gnoman posted:

You could always power magma buildings from any of the 9 squares. You wanted to put the opening under one of the impassible tiles (8 on the furnaces, 4/6 on the forge) to keep stuff from crawling out, but that wasn't required for it to operate.

oh neat I always thought it had to be one of these two on the old one:

XXX
OXO
XXX

I won't worry about doing anything complicated then, thanks

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Nosre posted:

oh neat I always thought it had to be one of these two on the old one:

XXX
OXO
XXX

I won't worry about doing anything complicated then, thanks

Yeah, those are the two blocking tiles on the forge. Since nothing can pass through there (if you've ever placed a boyer's or jewler's workshop that just won't operate, this is why - those have an entire edge tile impassible), nothing can crawl out of the magma. For the smelters, you want the magma to be under a different tile.

XOX
XXX
XXX

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

do all the workshops have impassable tiles

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

skooma512 posted:

I noticed a bunch of randoms mobbing away from the fort, and oh yeah it's all those bards I denied.

That's right get the gently caress out of here lol.

hahaha I was wondering who these lurking goobers were. I thought denying them meant they would just not live there permanently, not just lurk around. Next fort I might deny all bards, seems like 100% of my non-dwarven population are here as part of some weird plot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Magma doesn't ever run out, so once you build your magma channel you can just close the floodgate forever and never have any intruders. I kind of wish magma cooled off over time, or forges used it up somewhat so you'd have to top things up. I also wish farming needed seasonal flooding or watering. I just... want to do more with fluids!

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Water can still run down through a forge to magma below through the ”solid block” of the furn/forge, So I am not 100% sure that trick blocks invaders anymore either.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Bring him in!

Starts with abusing animals, turns into murdering people. Many such cases! :(

Despite having no hammerer and plenty of cages in my dungeon I had two dwarves convicted of conspiracy for theft just flat out beaten rather than caged. Kind of makes me worried that the next conviction is going to end up dead.

Also if you convict a guest for espionage and actually arrest them before they leave they get convicted for like 200 days. Is there anything I should actually be doing about these prisoners?

Clocks fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 20, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

I also wish there was some kind of "this area is dangerous" designation. Probably in two variations: "This area is dangerous, do not perform any jobs involving it whatsoever", and "This area can be dangerous, avoid standing around here unless there is a good reason". The latter mainly for things like children playing make-believe in the middle of the trap tunnels, and keeping wandering dwarves out of waterworks. For younger children, the "avoid this area" could perhaps create "guide child away from danger zone" jobs for nearby adults.

Late, but this sounds like a job for Traffic:
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Traffic

dfwiki posted:

Traffic designations determine preferred paths for dwarves going around in your fortress. Normally, dwarves use the shortest route possible; using these designations, you can force them to take a different route. This way you can set up main hallways or rarely used side corridors.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Can anything join your fortress or just goblins/humans/elves/dwarves? I've got some other types of folks visit, none have asked to join yet and I don't know if they can't or just don't want to.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Khanstant posted:

Can anything join your fortress or just goblins/humans/elves/dwarves? I've got some other types of folks visit, none have asked to join yet and I don't know if they can't or just don't want to.

Yes, I had a giant snake woman who said she wanted to murder monsters but mostly she just drinks, listens to poetry and hangs out with the dogs.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Khanstant posted:

Yep, though they seem a fair bit less likely to apply than the other races. I have a hyena woman dancer in my current fort.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So I'm 50 hours in and only on year 3 of my first v50 fort, and nothing much has happened to be gang tag worthy yet. I also still habitually try to play safe and keep everyone alive. As a bit of background, I always make a slab and a custom statue for every dwarf's tomb. So I go into the options and select the dwarf as the historical figure.

So far I've gotten 4 necromancers show up as immigrants, who I then immediately wall into rooms in the old starter fort.

I've also got two immigrants and one of their husbands who I immediately went: Oh these are suspicious people. Both of whom had a bunch of dabbling skills, a young age for the skills they had, and no listed relationships.

And so I quarantined them all like I do the necromancers. Thinking that maybe they were vampires? But they eventually died of dehydration. So definitely not vampires. But when I went through the burial procedures as usual the statue's I commissioned didn't seem to be named right.

And I realized,
"Oh, their names don't match, because dwarves can assume secret identities now from the schemes update"

Also explains why the sprite is a cube rather than a dwarf, because the metadata link through the historical figure is broken by the assumed identity. But when you detail something targeting that historical figure it gets kicked back to the original person's timeline. Even though your dwarves presumably know none of the history, revealing the farce.

So this guy left his position as record keeper 65 years ago, but claims that he's only 60 years old! Since he stepped down as book keeper I'm just going to assume he got arrested for fraud. Sorry for suspecting you of something bad my dude.

Hopefully I'll have some more fun happen so I can post more. There seems to be a thousand new posts here every time I look. Can I get the gangtag?

The Discord from the last succession is still functional, not that I think 50.03 is quite stable enough for a succession yet, but I am looking forward to it so much.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Khanstant posted:

One of the big streamers had a demonic monster hunter that was pretty rad.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
getting back into dorf fort after a decade, i used to play 2d but bounced off after the z-axis was added. are there any good catch up guides discussing various layout options for fortress designs and how to get an economy going? i keep finding myself with severe restartitis after i forget to brew ale or produce bags

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Awesome, well I hope Ratqueen and some weird flippered guy I call Doctor Dugong decide to move in. I also dream of when the game is robust enough with crazy magic systems to sustain all sorts of strangely curated forts for different species.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Porkness posted:

In a game version long, long ago I lost a fortress that had some great stuff in it. Maybe my metalsmiths should have been making actual weapons instead of coins.

I kept playing the world in adventure mode and found that throwing things was hilarious. I'd pelt enemies and NPCs with sand, clothing or wherever I could get my hands on, even hurling dead bodies. One time a villager sent me to kill a hydra, and once I had done so I brought the hydra corpse back and hurled it back at the quest giver, pasting him.

Not long after, I found my old fort and its piles of coins. Miniscule but dense objects are unbelievably deadly projectiles. :dance:

Back when throwing was still broken, I had a ton of fun modding in bronze colossi to be playable in adventure mode (and once modded in slade colossi and adamantine colossi by editing some raws) and killing goblins by throwing other goblins at them, although nothing ever topped killing someone by throwing a handful of his own vomit at him, exploding his head. Throwing individual crossbow bolts was also very funny, they hit harder than if you had fired them from a crossbow.

Slade colossi were great in every way; for the hell of it I spawned one in arena mode and put it up against 150 dwarves who were legendary in every combat skill, clad head to toe in adamantine, and armed with adamantine battle axes and it killed over 130 of them before going down.

Pickled Tink posted:

That sounds like a loyalty cascade, which occurred when a member of a group does something hostile to the group and gets marked an enemy of the group without being removed from it, so anyone who attacks him for being an enemy is also flagged as an enemy of the group.

I wasn't aware those could still happen.

You can definitely still get them, I had one earlier when I tamed a dragon and tried to chain it up outside the fort as a gate guardian. When the animal handler led it past the tavern the guests all started trying to punch, bite, kick, and scratch the dragon, which kicked off a bloody, lethal brawl that consumed the entire fortress, as every single dwarf immediately marked every single guest everywhere on the map as an enemy, and the two groups started trying to murder each other.

Eventually the dragon got pissed and breathed fire, killing almost everyone involved in the fight on both sides, but still counted as friendly to my fort the whole time.

I reloaded from an earlier save and am currently trying to decide what to do with a tame dragon, since I clearly cannot ever let it out of the cavern it's stored in.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Valtonen posted:

Water can still run down through a forge to magma below through the ”solid block” of the furn/forge, So I am not 100% sure that trick blocks invaders anymore either.

fwiw I set up 2 smelters, a kiln, a glass furnace and a forge up based on the "impassable tile" setup and still ended up with crabs crawling up from somewhere so a grate or gate is probably a good idea regardless

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Will smelters and such work through bars? I knew pumps did

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

nsfw naked elf

Looks like I found a small graphics bug

Oh, ok...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Love books about axe

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I set the embark finder up with almost every possible predicate: no heavy aquifer, yes iron, yes flux, yes sand, etc. etc. just to see if it would find anything. It's definitely overkill but I was curious, and it did find 2 or 3 squares that actually matched. So I set out for one of them. It's a couple of years in, I've got my economy up and running, plumbing, my defenses set up, 3 full squads kitted in steel, and I realized I haven't had any visitors other than the annual delegation from the home civ.

So I pulled up the world map thinking I'd send out some expeditions, but literally everything except the capital of my civ is inaccessible. Guess that explains the lack of visitors. It seems I put myself on a smallish island - what looked like an isthmus actually has a one pixel gap - and no one even knows I'm here. Eerily quiet out here, just me and a few giant skinks.

Fortunately settlers have been able to find me, and I've been steadily making progress downward...

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Azhais posted:

Will smelters and such work through bars? I knew pumps did
directly through them probably not (I know wells don't, I wouldn't expect magma to be any different), you just put them upstream while digging the channel out

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

it's the elf version of James Joyce

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gnoman posted:

the impassable tiles don't/didn't prevent entry from below; magma crabs and fire imps can still squeeze through

the only safe way to use magma is to put it in a reservoir or cistern below your workshops. If you don't want to set up floodgates, wall grates made of magma safe material will prevent anything that naturally lives in magma from getting in your fort

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Late, but this sounds like a job for Traffic:
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Traffic

No, Traffic is for controlling where dwarves prefer walking when going between places. It won't prevent them from doing jobs in the area or standing around in the area for no reason.
What I'm wishing for is a designation (zone) that prevents jobs from being made/taken at all, distinctly different from traffic designations.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

nielsm posted:

No, Traffic is for controlling where dwarves prefer walking when going between places. It won't prevent them from doing jobs in the area or standing around in the area for no reason.
What I'm wishing for is a designation (zone) that prevents jobs from being made/taken at all, distinctly different from traffic designations.

Burrows can do this

You can have multiple burrows throughout your fortress and dwarves can be assigned to multiple burrows- they can flow through burrows they are assigned to freely. They will not enter an area that is not in their burrow unless they are chased into it. You can also pause/unpause specific burrows so if you have an area that is sometimes dangerous you can pause and unpause access to it

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 20, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
"Oh cool, the queen is showing up, let's see what she's like this time"

Oh for fucks' sake. Ah well, at least things are about to get interesting.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

My miners are refusing to dig any deeper than -100. There's more layers there, I've been there before in fact though it got flooded by magma, and now they completely refuse to start any digging project deeper than that. Doesn't matter where I try it. Anybody know what's up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

If you channel it does the floor become magma flow? If so that's dwarf bedrock fuckin apparently. Gotta find the secret way down.