Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

But how will you block the bus lane without personal car traffic?

I'm assuming that it is impossible to achieve through signing, so a combination of automatic bollards and a lot of (slightly mythical) good cops to fine and confiscate cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

only for the wealthy tho

not anyone else

basically extending Central Park down the Ave which is fine, I’ll take it, but cars don’t kill people in midtown…

there’s too many pedestrians

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

But how will you block the bus lane without personal car traffic?

https://twitter.com/RealEggcredible/status/1604721526716211200

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

There already was a plan that went through "visioning", community board feedback, and was then torpedoed at the last minute because luxury retailers on 5th were freaking out about losing parking. No reason to think the same won't happen this time round. NYC DOT really benefits from the fact that no one here has a memory longer than 18 months.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

sat on my keys! posted:

There already was a plan that went through "visioning", community board feedback, and was then torpedoed at the last minute because luxury retailers on 5th were freaking out about losing parking. No reason to think the same won't happen this time round. NYC DOT really benefits from the fact that no one here has a memory longer than 18 months.
No matter how much evidence you show idiot business owners that walkabiity massively improves their business, they're still convinced removing a dozen parking spots will ruin them. You'd think they'd be more worried about cars ruining their businesses, physically, like on the last page.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
By god we will do a million hours of engagement process to find the one stakeholder who opposes taking space from cars so that we have an excuse to keep the bloodbath.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

looks extremely similar to the Heart of Hollywood campaign they're doing here on Hollywood blvd

https://heartofhollywood.la/walk-fame-master-plan

Dan, who was the boss of this, was CD13 who just got voted out. I hope the new admin continues it. it's also LADOT so it might just be that also..

some urban planner must have got the ear of a bunch of these guys

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
love the ""transit kiosk" so people using ubers don't have to stand next to poors

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/OrtizForToledo/status/1605220302425923586

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

WAUSEON — A man who pleaded guilty to five counts of vehicular manslaughter after a March crash that killed a family of five in Clinton Township will serve no time in jail, a Fulton County judge ruled Wednesday.

Zane Hull, 22, was first charged in late July with the second-degree misdemeanor charges — misdemeanors, not felonies, because no alcohol nor drugs were involved in the crash. He pleaded not guilty first in early October, then entered plea agreements on all charges later that month.

“It was just a tragic accident,” said Steven Spitler, Mr. Hull’s defense attorney. “He had no intent to blow a stop sign and kill five people.”

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

“It was just a tragic accident,” said Steven Spitler, Mr. Hull’s defense attorney. “He had no intent to blow a stop sign and kill five people.”
Just a terrible oopsie, no big deal

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

WAUSEON — A man who pleaded guilty to five counts of vehicular manslaughter after a March crash that killed a family of five in Clinton Township will serve no time in jail, a Fulton County judge ruled Wednesday.

Zane Hull, 22, was first charged in late July with the second-degree misdemeanor charges — misdemeanors, not felonies, because no alcohol nor drugs were involved in the crash. He pleaded not guilty first in early October, then entered plea agreements on all charges later that month.

He didn't do the bad kind of impaired driving (drugs/booze), only the good kind (texting).

quote:

Mr. Hull’s driver’s license was also suspended for one year beginning Thursday, with limited privileges granted for employment, medical needs, school, and on Sundays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. to shop for necessities.
Lmao. He is barred from driving, unless he needs to for whatever reason.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ive never accidentally run a stop sign, would be very interested to discover how that works

Apr 7, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

ive never accidentally run a stop sign, would be very interested to discover how that works

a few years back someone here blasted through a stop sign at a three-way and killed an old person crossing in a crosswalk. No charges at the request of the family. probably wouldn't have been charges regardless of what the family said.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
hidden behind a tree

never been there before and it's an awkward set of intersections

a stop sign where there isn't context for one to be there

it's new

driver sneezed

---

all reasons that we shouldn't force people to operate death machines any time they want to do anything.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

This is Åboulevarden in Aarhus in 1993

This is the same street today:

I'm pretty sure all those cafes and people hate that there is no longer a giant road.

Apr 7, 2003

I'm slutspurt

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

20% extra slutspurt

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lobster shirt posted:

it happens. a guy i worked with lost his son that way. they ran a stop sign when they weren’t paying attention and got t boned. his son was the only one who died out of 5 people involved.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It means final sprint, which is not unlikely if you sprint with cars nearby.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Greg12 posted:

hidden behind a tree

never been there before and it's an awkward set of intersections

a stop sign where there isn't context for one to be there

it's new

driver sneezed

---

all reasons that we shouldn't force people to operate death machines any time they want to do anything.

constitutional right to go fast

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

that's a good deal on slutspurt

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they gonna close 5th for the tourists for the holidays and then reopen it most likely. doubt it will be permanent

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

BonHair posted:

I'm pretty sure all those cafes and people hate that there is no longer a giant road.

Feel like this puts the lie to the other American street redesigns on this page. Those are definitely improvements, but evicting cars altogether and creating the space for an actual landscape like this is still impossible to imagine in the USA

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

slutspurt

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Please, I'm gonna need 20% less slutspurt

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Conflicted about trains now. Are they complicit? Collaborators?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

eXXon posted:

Better they be over there on the railroad than running me over for the high crime of walking in a crosswalk.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

eXXon posted:

don't blame the trains blame the people who own the train

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Trains are but slaves to the automotive masters.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Please, I'm gonna need 20% less slutspurt

Too bad

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

LOL that's such an uncharitable way to phrase that

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Trains have always been tools of oppression

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

https://twitter.com/harryhamishgray/status/1605222576795652098

NO ENTRy

what are you doing?? chill with the paint.

tbf they are putting a lot of effort in and providing some very good cycling infrastructure here. they do need to stop thinking of bikes as miniature cars though.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

BonHair posted:

Y'all in here agitating for the return of the streetcar, while the crafty Danes are putting in the work to revive the peak form of transportation: canals.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

BonHair posted:

Having visited Århus multiple times, that street is always so full of life and people. Also intersects a wide shopping street with no cars there. It's a very nice walkable city. I pity Americans with the infrastructure they have instead

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

aar-hus

in the middle there's no street

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
only good use of a highway

https://twitter.com/giraltpablo/status/1605247872714375170

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Sphyre posted:

slutspurt