Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

investments necessitate the purchase of a piece of the means of production, and therefore you are profiting from wage theft.

but also: the capitalists sell you the rope etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I am getting wage thieved and also profiting from wage theft that obviously balances out.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Do you know about the UK Personal Finance and Investing thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887120

Thanks for this :)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

kecske posted:

investments necessitate the purchase of a piece of the means of production, and therefore you are profiting from wage theft.

but also: the capitalists sell you the rope etc.

You can just leave it in a savings account and let the bank profit off investing it if you prefer.
Or you could withdraw it, stuff it under the mattress and allow it to depreciate due to inflation.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mega Comrade posted:

You can just leave it in a savings account and let the bank profit off investing it if you prefer.
Or you could withdraw it, stuff it under the mattress and allow it to depreciate due to inflation.

It's going to depreciate now due to inflation whatever you do with it (well except maybe for bitcoins & crossed fingers!)
Though maybe investing in pitchforks & flaming torches might be an idea for the coming months..

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
What about investing in these stocks?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Mega Comrade posted:

or the third thing: you have to spend it all on various bills leaving nothing for speculation

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1605194107072221184

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Can't believe someone with no previous history of saying extremely horrible things would make a tweet like that.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/may/15/kelvin-mackenzie-leaves-the-sun etc etc

Edit: The more I read about the guy the worse it gets don't even start down that rabbit hole.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
A little birdie (no, not Twitter) tells me that doctors it's likely will be balloted in January for strike action in February.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

domhal posted:

Edit: The more I read about the guy the worse it gets don't even start down that rabbit hole.
He's the bloke you see in the pub - a right old fascist, wants to send the w*gs back, buy his poxy council house, he's afraid of the unions, afraid of the Russians, hates the queers and weirdoes and drug dealers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uWw7kuiCss

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
MacKenzie embodies the term vile shitbag. And throws out the "how would you feel if" strawman. Just repulsive at all levels.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/Nevererdofher/status/1605171536322875394

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
lmao our customers are all over facebook saying I'm rude and awful and the place is going downhill and I grabbed their child's arm (wtf) and the instigator is someone I *know* I was pleasant to, this is great, why the gently caress do I go to work. And why did anyone think I needed to see this poo poo? gently caress off with your screenshots, this is why I don't have facebook in the first place.

People think 'rude' is anything that isn't 'yes of course I will do exactly what you want right now'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Customers in general should be barred from being out in public.

Shops should be only for people who work there, people who appreciate the effort that goes into it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

HopperUK posted:

lmao our customers are all over facebook saying I'm rude and awful and the place is going downhill and I grabbed their child's arm (wtf) and the instigator is someone I *know* I was pleasant to, this is great, why the gently caress do I go to work. And why did anyone think I needed to see this poo poo? gently caress off with your screenshots, this is why I don't have facebook in the first place.

People think 'rude' is anything that isn't 'yes of course I will do exactly what you want right now'.

you serve customers faithfully for 10 years but you suplex ONE child and suddenly you're a monster

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

you serve customers faithfully for 10 years but you suplex ONE child and suddenly you're a monster

I've got no goddamn idea what she's even *talking* about. The only time I would ever catch at a child is if they were running behind the counter. Guess I'll let the next one through to fill their pockets with drugs lmao

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah that's right, you're a pharmacist. I can understand that people who are desperate for medications are at the end of their rope but it's not like you're the one who made them sick.

If anything you're helping them be the opposite.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Ah that's right, you're a pharmacist. I can understand that people who are desperate for medications are at the end of their rope but it's not like you're the one who made them sick.

If anything you're helping them be the opposite.

I'm not alas but I do work in a pharmacy. Yeah, the antibiotic shortage lately has led to some really fun interactions.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If you work in a pharmacy you're a pharmacist. :colbert:

You might not have a pharmacology degree but as far as I'm concerned I insert coin and get pill so who cares.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

HopperUK posted:

I feel I missed the first part of this but I'm glad you gave the big boot and Legdrop to that little Prima Donna, Dude

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Surely

In a pharmacy

In one of the most surveilled countries on earth

There's CCTV footage to prove that whatever-it-was didn't happen

Surely

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nobody would judge you if you dived off the counter and hurricanrana'd the next customer into the laxative display.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Only Kindness posted:

Surely

In a pharmacy

In one of the most surveilled countries on earth

There's CCTV footage to prove that whatever-it-was didn't happen

Surely

lmao security features? Those cost money!

It's just a bunch of facebook gossips having their fun. I have made it clear to the person who showed me screenshots that I never, ever want to know about any of that poo poo again. If they complain to the company I will deal with it. If they're just enjoying their bitch session on facebook, I don't wanna know. I have enough trouble working out what the gently caress people think 'rude' is without this poo poo.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Nobody would judge you if you dived off the counter and hurricanrana'd the next customer into the laxative display.

thank you friend

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Customers are very strange sometimes, we once had someone march in to rate us 'very unsatisfactory' in our customer survey, and then leave immediately. The absolute kicker was that they asked for a pen, was given one, and then used it to say that staff were unhelpful.

I'm sorry that people are being unpleasant, Hopper, and hope your managers are supportive!

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
I sure wouldn't. I worked retail for a Saturday job during A levels. Hence whatever moves I was able to make (not much, such things are mostly luck) in my subsequent career was aimed towards never ever having to interact with the General Public, ever again, ever.

o7 to those that can, or have to, do it

HopperUK posted:

It's just a bunch of facebook gossips having their fun.

Well, I was gonna say. If it stays on fuckbook, ignore it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Lady Demelza posted:

Customers are very strange sometimes, we once had someone march in to rate us 'very unsatisfactory' in our customer survey, and then leave immediately. The absolute kicker was that they asked for a pen, was given one, and then used it to say that staff were unhelpful.

I'm sorry that people are being unpleasant, Hopper, and hope your managers are supportive!

My direct manager, the pharmacist, is wonderful. Every level above him might as well be staffed by a brick wall. We've been told not to raise complaints about staffing levels any more. I am going to write to my union. ...it's only Unite but eh.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Minicurve works at Aldi, customers are old and they had to bring in a security guard to get rid of the shoplifters, but they still do actual contracted hours with time and a half on bank holidays and the staff all get along. 2 pay rises this year to keep up with inflation and they gave everyone a £40 voucher so they could buy Christmas dinner on them.

But yeh customers, and the elephant in the room of them doing entire Christmas week takings even on a damp Tuesday ever since Truss.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

I had someone, berate me for not knowing where a product was, demand to see my manager and call me rude all before they finally conceded I didn't work there.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
"The customer is always right" was the worst thing to ever happen to customer service

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rarity posted:

"The customer is always right" was the worst thing to ever happen to customer service

ironically it's wonderful when it happens to me asking about poo poo and getting nice responses rather than "is it under warranty? then gently caress you"

on the other, it seems to have emboldened the most tedious cunts alive to think that people live for these negative interactions

JoylessJester posted:

I had someone, berate me for not knowing where a product was, demand to see my manager and call me rude all before they finally conceded I didn't work there.

lmao

wait are you visibly non-white because if so that's a more insidious interaction

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Only Kindness posted:

MacKenzie embodies the term vile shitbag. And throws out the "how would you feel if" strawman. Just repulsive at all levels.

if you killed kelvin mackenzie, you could be charged with cuntrycide

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

JoylessJester posted:

your own fault for wearing those banging Greggs tracksuit bottoms really

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rarity posted:

Especially since all it ever meant as a maxim was "the customer is never wrong (in matters of taste)". So if you were a Savile Row tailor and your man wanted some gaudy poo poo you did it for him cause it's his money.

In everything else, the customer is usually thick as gently caress and very wrong and also often smell like poo poo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Customers are universally wankers and I will never miss having to deal with them.

Having appliances in a variety of weights and sizes launched at you by irate dickheads on more than one occasion is a great motivator to start climbing the career ladder though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm glad the only front-facing job I ever had was market research*. At least while I was dying inside I was never in physical danger.

*TL note: market research means the bastard calling you up for phone surveys

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mercifully my combination of being apparently very physically intimidating while being posessed of irreproachable charm means that people are rarely unpleasant to me directly. Worst I ever personally got was a parade of old women fondling my hair and one bloke who unsolicitedly told me that working cosmetics was women's work, concerning which I was so baffled both by the idea that he thought I needed to know that or that in tyool 2018 or so somebody actually thought that, that I was unable to respond.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Rarity posted:

Hah. This reminds me of an anecdote that goes nowhere. Onions on belts, everyone, listen up.

When I started my Saturday job in the mid-80s (see above, update your XLSXs) the ONLY training I got was, literally, being told "The Customer Is Always Right" by the Personnel manager (this was pre-Human Resources), and how to work the till and the credit-card swiper.

Nothing else. Just "The Customer Is Always Right", she said. Word for word. No context, no nuffin.

And this was after the interview a month or so beforehand, where she'd leaned back in her chair, gestured to me, and said "sell yourself".

She was later, um, let go -- for reasons unrelated to hiring me, you wags! But as you can guess, infer and glean from the above, it was because she was, in fact, quite obviously poo poo at her job. She'd learned the signifiers of her job, but not the actual job. It was perhaps my first real-world lesson that adults do not, in fact, have it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

on the other, it seems to have emboldened the most tedious cunts alive to think that people live for these negative interactions
"It's cheaper to retain a customer than it is to gain a new one" is a mantra I've seen expressed at almost every company I've worked for, but at the retail level it meant that there are policies in place to help customers when they have legitimate complaints.

But when a customer is an absolute dick from the get go then the incentive goes from "I can fix this and they can walk away happy" to "how can I get this person to gently caress off without saying that out loud".