Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I have a week of paid holidays and 6 paid sick days to use up before January 1st.

Changing jobs last December was the best decision ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Furnaceface posted:

I have a week of paid holidays and 6 paid sick days to use up before January 1st.

cheers! glad it worked out for you

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

goondolences on your unplanned sickness between christmas and new year

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

dadchat: a pivotal moment in my father's life was when he visited a "famous indian guru" at age 20, asked him if he would ever make it as a professional musician, and the guru said no

i think about this a lot and am completely enchanted by the idea of a sassy old indian man who had seen the summer of love bullshit unfold, with all the cultural appropriation that entailed, and turned mistakes into miracles by creating for himself a career where he got to charge long-haired white boys eighty bucks a pop for the privilege of telling them they have absolutely no musical talent whatsoever

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i'd accrued 80 sick days before i got a new job a couple of months ago... managed to use a week by getting covid a few weeks before leaving lol

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

and also that they're going to die young, but everybody tells my father that

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

a strange fowl posted:

and also that they're going to die young, but everybody tells my father that

GnR’s “Ain’t It Fun” is actually about your dad

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

GoutPatrol posted:

I assume Karamalz is a similar malt drink? That's all over the place here.

I can only guess it's going to be mostly the same, maybe needs some dithering on the sugar levels but you should get the same experience: the customary experience of family approval in beverage form

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

exmarx posted:

i'd accrued 80 sick days before i got a new job a couple of months ago... managed to use a week by getting covid a few weeks before leaving lol

(American goons stop reading this post)

why tf would you need to accrue sick days you should just loving get them

surely Aotearoa isn't that yankish on sick leave

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

exmarx posted:

numbered sick days that you can accrue? which us state have you moved to lmao

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Tesseraction posted:

(American goons stop reading this post)

why tf would you need to accrue sick days you should just loving get them

surely Aotearoa isn't that yankish on sick leave

the statutory minimum is 10 sick days (increased from 5 in 2021) on full pay.

it looks like the ukkk caps it at £99.35 pw and the first 3 days are unpaid? doesn't seem better unless you've got a long-term illness.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's the legal minimum but most jobs work with full pay for up to 28 days and then fraction of your salary thereafter.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Staluigi posted:

I can only guess it's going to be mostly the same, maybe needs some dithering on the sugar levels but you should get the same experience: the customary experience of family approval in beverage form

I will experiment later, however I can only find condensed milk, will need to try a specialty bakery store for unsweetened stuff

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

drink results

not great, not terrible

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

It's neat that you tried it because I have zero percent ability to judge it outside of the infectious acquired taste you permanently get for malta. Like all my younger cousins will get made fun of in school for it but they want nothing else and think regular soda is too sweet

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
you should have them do the gelatin cremas!

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

ukrainian flags are still loving everywhere in my town and every time i see the yellow and blue i just think of blonde hair and blue eyes

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

a strange fowl posted:

ukrainian flags are still loving everywhere in my town and every time i see the yellow and blue i just think of blonde hair and blue eyes

weird

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

this is the first time in my life i have ever seen australians care about something happening outside the commonwealth. most of them can't place ukraine on a map but there's just something about ukrainians that really tugs their heartstrings

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a strange fowl posted:

this is the first time in my life i have ever seen australians care about something happening outside the commonwealth. most of them can't place ukraine on a map but there's just something about ukrainians that really tugs their heartstrings

apparently australian army bushmasters are popular with ukrainian troops

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

cinci zoo sniper posted:

apparently australian army bushmasters are popular with ukrainian troops
lol

we continue to contribute peace and love to the globe

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
is australia taking in an ukrainian refugees?

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

is australia taking in an ukrainian refugees?
the bare minimum, like a few thousand got through before they quietly changed the requirements to make it almost impossible

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it amazes me that america took in about 1.25 million boat people refugees, i can't see anything like that happening these days

i guess white fragility has become more pronounced in the last 50 years

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it amazes me that america took in about 1.25 million boat people refugees, i can't see anything like that happening these days

i guess white fragility has become more pronounced in the last 50 years
we had a few strange decades where the australian immigration system wasn't openly white supremacist, but that time is past now

our entire aged care system collapsed during covid because of a lack of slaves. things like that hold back an official resurgence of the white australia policy, but only barely.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

a few years ago the rightwing media was operating at full hysteria trying to get australians to care about hong kong so we could rattle our sabres at china and it had absolutely no effect lol

which is sad, because the hk resistance was cool as hell and not a swastika to be seen

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 9, 2022

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kavros posted:

you should have them do the gelatin cremas!

a quick google search...eh I could just buy a big trifle at costco and it would be 99% the same.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
a costco sized trifle is a legit terrifying thought

a trifle to feed a small village for a week

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Are the big trifles in the same aisle as the jumbo shrimp

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

trying to find the words to describe the current zeitgeist where all the little kings of the techbros are simultaneously trying to realise their strange imperial dreams and failing spectacularly. sbf is my favourite, i hope he survives.

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 18, 2022

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

a million warring stempires

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
the warring STEMs period

Who will be the Qin Shi Huang of huffing their own farts?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

my 100 year old grandfather got covid... again

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

my 100 year old grandfather got covid... again

at this point I think he's just calling you out for not being as resilient as him

more seriously I hope he pulls through once more

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
christ, wishing him the best

i don't know why it's so hard for some folks not to spread this stuff. my aunt on chemo just caught it after someone insisted she transact with them in person. absolutely criminal

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

He's been in a home for the past 8-9 years yeah this kind of spread is inevitable. Only so much they can do.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

it's still an awful situation where you sit and wait and hope for the best

do what's necessary to keep yourself coping fine

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
rest in peace pope benedict xvi. and happy new year to every body.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

a strange fowl posted:

a million warring stempires

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

exmarx posted:

rest in peace pope benedict xvi. and happy new year to every body.

firsts the discovery of coatigan and shacket, now this. the mandarine oranges better be real good, to salvage this sorry nye afternoon