Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

QuarkJets posted:

Hollow Knight is an 8 hour game if you're not constantly dying

If you hurry yeah but in my current replay, without dying much, I'm at 12 hours and just now at the part where the game is truly open, so like 12 more hours possibly

Is a very big game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Average of 40.5 hours (all playstyles) https://howlongtobeat.com/game/26286

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

jokes posted:

I'm a big fan of signposting in corridor shooter games. Between signposting or sheer tedium, I'd much prefer a thing that says "this way to the objective".

If I see an arrow that says 'go this direction' I feel compelled to make a straight line to it, including going over mountains.

I remember Valve talking about their efforts in mastering sign-posting for their games. They use features like light, sound, or layout to encourage players down a specific path instead of just a literal sign.

They also employ the concept of character silhouettes, making it easy to identify what kind of friend/foe you see at any distance.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

giogadi posted:

It’s cursed game design. There’s not really an obvious solution to it

smaller dungeons that are easy to revisit with enjoyable visual design and fun music. the ff9 solution, but without the random encounters.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Tetrabor posted:

I remember Valve talking about their efforts in mastering sign-posting for their games. They use features like light, sound, or layout to encourage players down a specific path instead of just a literal sign.

They also employ the concept of character silhouettes, making it easy to identify what kind of friend/foe you see at any distance.

i remember them talking about that during the commentary for one of the HL2 games. which reminds me, more games should have developer commentaries.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

itry posted:

Average of 40.5 hours (all playstyles) https://howlongtobeat.com/game/26286

Lmao do you think the devs friends were ever like guys for real you can stop making game now

Wonder if Silksong will be even bigger

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You just don't get it, do you? Silksong is life. We are all part of Silksong from the moment we are born. It encompasses everything. All games are part of Silksong. It never truly began and it will never end.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Serephina posted:

DoW was a 40k property, so any success is mostly blind luck of having newbie devs who are better than they're getting paid to be. The IP is amazing shovelware, I swear.

That both sequels each managed to miss the point of it's predecessor and be worse in every way should not be a surprise.

edit: Ok, every way is hyperbole. They where prettier.

Yeah, there's a distinct shortage of wishing your entire army would stop rolling 1 on their really stupid rolls because the pathfinding algorithm gave up and died.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

jokes posted:

I think I understand the joke you're making, but also all games show xbox button icons and it's pretty gross and annoying.

For every game you're going to PCGamingWiki to learn how to skip the intro logos anyway, downloading the PS button icons is just one extra step.

The DS4 and Dualsense have been great for PC games, but I wouldn't use anything older since the analogue sticks don't feel as good (even if they do actually last longer)

Devils Affricate posted:

I think I'm most confused by the 89 hours in FF7 classic. What in the world could you still be doing in that game?

Replaying it with different party members to see all the dialogue. Be the first person in the world to play through with Yuffie and Cait Sith.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I converted a Hori board to use the USA buttons and joystick layout. I'm the new Ken at SF6 shangrila.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
here's my unpopular opinion: if you didn't like HK's map system, then maybe metroidvanias are not for you. stick to linear games maybe.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hollow Knight is a once in a generation game. Maybe even less than that. Though the devs had some experience going in, it is basically a first effort from a fledgling studio. Yet it is an all-time great game. It pretty much nails (get it) every goal it had.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

There are only two bad things about Hollow Knight: the DLCs were all boring/shallow, and the achievements were stupid

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

All achievements are stupid

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

are there still crazy achievement people like in the 360 era, who will buy games just for easy achievement points and poo poo like that?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

are there still crazy achievement people like in the 360 era, who will buy games just for easy achievement points and poo poo like that?

steam has lots of $1 shovelware games whose only purpose is giving achievements with funny icons or every letter of the alphabet or w/e to decorate your profile achievement showcase

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

You know the answer to this!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

You know the answer to this!

Look at the trophy/achievement thread in Games as well.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

yeah i forgot about steam. i assume lots of people are into the steam cards thing as well, i know nothing about them except randomly i will get one for some reason.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

yeah i forgot about steam. i assume lots of people are into the steam cards thing as well, i know nothing about them except randomly i will get one for some reason.

I always sell them, usually netting like a dollar per game.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

QuarkJets posted:

All achievements are stupid

Nah, just most of them

I like achievements that serve as structured alternate goals suggested by the developers in games that I already enjoy. Kind of a way to extend the novelty of a game that isn't just ng+

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
video game achievements are great and i will go out my way to get them as long as they aren't too obnoxious but the Steam ones don't shove a massive popup on your screen or even give you a sound notification which is pretty lame tbh

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

JollyBoyJohn posted:

video game achievements are great and i will go out my way to get them as long as they aren't too obnoxious but the Steam ones don't shove a massive popup on your screen or even give you a sound notification which is pretty lame tbh

if they made the level up sound from the original call of duty 4 modern warfare i could maybe get into it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

satanic splash-back posted:

It's not on gamepass so it might as well not exist. Next

Cursed post

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

This is a correct opinion

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Windows 10 game mode. No Pop ups. Turn off Game Mode. JI want to see what I have done in GTAV.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Literally A Person posted:

I just use a PS2/USB converter and play all my PC games withy ps2 controller. Like a normal drat person.

That's what I did before it became impossible, the PS2 dualshock controller is the best controller ever made. :colbert:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The first ps2 dongles let you know about chinese knock-off controllers and how incredibly widespread it is.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

PS2 controllers were great until my hands were too big to comfortably use them, now Xbox is where it's at.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

tripwood posted:

That's what I did before it became impossible, the PS2 dualshock controller is the best controller ever made. :colbert:

LMAO. Holy poo poo, this could be its own thread.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

tripwood posted:

Get this

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i would get one that is cleaner

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Stop making GBS threads on your interface. Come at my Green Ken. I have a quarterd on top of this machine.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
just like wiping snots on your dongles and taking pics

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The PS2 controller was good, but if you think it's better than subsequent PS controllers you're just being a contrarian dipshit

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ps1, 2 and 3 controllers were for people with little cherub hands

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Devils Affricate posted:

The PS2 controller was good, but if you think it's better than subsequent PS controllers you're just being a contrarian dipshit

I don't like the trackpad, what can I say! Dualshock 4 Lyfe, by which i mean dualshock 1

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Ps1, 2 and 3 controllers were for people with little cherub hands

Also a lie, I have the giant hands that make the n64 pad a perfect fit

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Nah you're just weird

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Fur20 posted:

I don't like the trackpad, what can I say! Dualshock 4 Lyfe, by which i mean dualshock 1

Then just don't use it. It takes up a space on the controller that wasn't used for anything else. At the very worst, it's a sidegrade (and even then you'd have to make an argument for the wireless connection somehow not being a plus).

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Big Mad Catz fan over here