Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

PiratePrentice posted:

You don't understand, the most important thing is to defend the honor of the reactionary shitheads of the mormon church because...

uh well I'm sure there's some reason

:wtf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

rotinaj posted:

Are you really pearlclutching and bringing up your dead mom to “win” a discussion on loving something awful

Go outside

I believe the modern phrase is to tell 'em to go touch some grass.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i thought it was "get bent"

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Pomme de Terror posted:

This one might be fake, but picturing it amuses me so here we are

AITA for getting myself kicked out of Sunday School?

lmao

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

rotinaj posted:

Are you really pearlclutching and bringing up your dead mom to “win” a discussion on loving something awful

Go outside

Are you really pearlclutching over a story about a then young woman getting kicked out of mormon seminary classes for pointing out obvious sexism? Do you honestly believe that the Latter Day Saints are an organization that widely upholds gender equality?

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

bro they didn't allow black people until 1978 or something, the religion taught that having dark skin was a literal curse of servitude given by god, and it took until 2013 to allow nonwhite priests

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
enough with the three of you

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

pentyne posted:

Tell me you're from a family of alcoholics without telling me.

Also, how loving insanely rude is it to gift someone a bottle, then take it from them to open it and pour drinks for everyone else at the party?

last time this came up I believe some people said it would be rude not to open the bottle and share with the gifter

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Piell posted:

AITA for throwing away the expensive whiskey my brother got me for my 40th?

Holy poo poo this guy's family is pure evil

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

FMguru posted:

It's an entire family of alcoholics, and when the OP got himself straight and put his life back together and was kind of a wet (dry?) blanket at parties, they interpret that as him acting like he was better than them, and so this whole event was meant to take him down a peg, get him off his high horse. It was absolutely an attempt to sabotage his sobriety.

It is absolutely this. I have experienced it personally and see it happening to others all the time. The same folks who jealously guilted and sabotaged my nephew every time he tried to save himself are currently throwing a self pity party over his death with no remorse. Who could have known that making your love for someone contingent on poisoning themself could have consequences?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lt. Danger posted:

last time this came up I believe some people said it would be rude not to open the bottle and share with the gifter

The difference there was it was the prerogative of the giftee. If you receive a bottle and open it, it's fun. If you receive a bottle and keep it closed, everyone's mildly disappointed. If you receive a bottle and the person who gave it to you opens and pours it out, it's presumptuous. If you want to share a bottle of liquor and remove the chance someone might veto opening it, just bring a bottle of liquor and open it. Edit: Not to a recovering alcoholic's house, for any of the above.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Lt. Danger posted:

It is, but that doesn't apply when there's a recovering alcoholic present. It's not like "gently caress this guy forever" rude, but it is "well I guess he's not getting something this nice next year" rude.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Lt. Danger posted:

Those people are wrong. Also he definitely should have smashed the bottle over his brothers head wtf is wrong with that family. Like I understand maybe there is still a lot of anger and resentment over how his behavior impacted them but holy poo poo if you didn't have an adult conversation with him about this in the last six years and just decide to ruin his life again and traumatize his kids holy poo poo you are a really really bad person

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

teen witch posted:

Oh wow that’s a formatting nightmare so I’m going to copy paste and y’all can figure it out, I have a flight to catch

Neglectful moron alienates his daughter by trying to play dad

ended by saying I would not be ignored in my own house (as a commenter on my previous post pointed out).

She is free to make her own mistakes, as people on reddit pointed out.

lol he keeps mentioning the one single guy that sorta maybe kinda agreed with him

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

The Brother trying to make OP drink hits me especially hard this time of year. One year, two days after Christmas, we found out my dad was an alcoholic. He had kept it hidden extremely well, nobody had any idea. Other than a few strange illnesses (which in hindsight were obviously hangovers but nobody ever saw him drink more than a beer or two on a weekend day), which we chalked up to working in an elementary school. Anyway, he was definitely out of sorts that day, so my mom took him to the doctor who gave him a blood test and found he was hammered, and my dad admitted to everything right there. It’s been 22 years (almost 23) and he hasn’t touched a drop since then, replacing alcohol with working out and carbonated water.

If someone did what OP’s brother did to my dad, I know my dad would just politely decline (the same thing has somewhat happened, but from people who were unaware of his history). But I think I would lose my absolute poo poo on them if they acted like that. OP is a hell of a lot more restrained than I think I could ever be.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Assuming the giftee isn't in recovery, it's maybe a tiny bit rude to not open the bottle, but it also depends on the situation. If someone gifted me a fancy bottle I doubt I'd want to open it if there were going to be 15 dudes with their glasses out, for example.

It's way more tacky to gift someone a bottle you clearly just wanted to drink yourself.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for wanting to tell my in-laws to stop acting like my kids are theirs?

quote:

Since having our first kid (we now have three), my in-laws (let’s call them mimi and papa) have become very possessive over my children and seem to think that they’re my kids’ actual parents, not grandparents. I often feel like I just exist to bring them grandchildren. With both my pregnancies (I have twins), they thanked me for caring their grandkids.

At first I couldn’t figure out why it bothered me so much that they thanked me for caring my own kids but then I realized why it bothered me: I felt like just a surrogate for their grand babies. With our kids it’s always about their side of the family—they look like my husband, they have Mimi’s chin, they like the same favorite colors, they carry on their family name, etc etc. when my girls came out very white skinned (they’re Hispanic and I’m not), Papa commented that they don’t look like the family. They sent me a ton of books to read with my son when he was born and you’d expect them to maybe send some “mommy and me” or “daddy and me” books but no—they were all about “grandpa loves me” or “Grandma is my whole world” type books. They made themselves grandparent t-shirts and mugs but never once have they given me a mother to my child type gift. They bought matching pjs and took a Christmas picture with just my son, not including us as the parents.

Papa is the one whose behaviors bother me most. He literally needs my kids to love him. A lot of the gifts he gives my kids are somehow related to his interests and likes, not even things my kids would ask for or want but he just wants them to think of him always. He tells our son to call him if he has any issues with us or to know that papa loves him most. He talked about how needy he was going to be of our new kids before they were born, especially if they were girls. Well we did have twin girls and he has continued his obsessive behaviors. He has genuinely cried because we put a cute big eye filter on our babies and told us we can’t do that because we’re “making fun of them” but we would never—it’s just cute and funny and something we’d do to our own faces. He made an ornament with all three of our kids and then just Mimi and papa, as if that’s the family tree.

My final straw in feeling weirded out by his actions was a comment he made when my newborn girl’s onesie sleeve was pulled down, revealing her shoulder. When I noticed her shoulder was exposed my reaction was “oh she’s going to get cold, let’s fix that.” what was his thought? He said “wow I don’t want my granddaughter showing skin, gotta cover up girl.” Why would you even think that way with a newborn? Anyways, AITA for wanting to address these behaviors?
(paragraphs breaks added)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Piell posted:

AITA for wanting to tell my in-laws to stop acting like my kids are theirs?

(paragraphs breaks added)

:yikes:

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Advanced empty-nest syndrome

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for telling my girlfriend she should’ve asked me to move in?

quote:

Throwaway.

My girlfriend (26F) and I (27M) have been together for just over a year. She’ll be graduating in January from graduate school and has a well paying job lined up.

Her parents bought an apartment years ago as an investment property and she’ll be living in it and taking over the mortgage. It’s a very spacious two bedroom that will be a total of $2300/month (average in our area). It’s pretty pricey and costs over half of her monthly income so I was concerned about her living there alone.

This is when I suggested that I move in. It’s a great space and we would have our own rooms and we’d get to live together and she would be able to have a more affordable rent. I currently live by myself and my rent is $2k a month, so it would help me too. So basically, win win win.

She said she’s always lived at home and so she wants to “be by herself before deciding if she wanted to live with anyone else” for a while and not to worry about it and she’d figure it out. I thought maybe her parents would help out with rent and I dropped it.

She just told me last week about how she was excited to move in soon and then told me she’d gotten a roomate and they’d been furniture shopping together. Her roomate is a girl she completed grad school with.

Obviously, I was hurt. I offered to move in first and we’re dating which I think means more than a classmate. I also said how having a roomate is not very “be by herself” of her.

She said she thought we were too early in our relationship to live together (???) and living with a partner is different from living with a friend (???). I think she’s just making excuses for blindsiding me.

I said she should have at least considered me and that I was hurt that she put a friend above me when I honestly and genuinely tried to help her.

I’ve kinda accepted that she’s moving in with her classmate and I’ve been cordial about it so she can be excited about this move and her new job but I’m still hurt

AITA?

quote:

I want to reply to this and defend myself a little. When I asked her about WHY she wanted the friend and not me she said that it’s so they can “hang out” and have “girl time” and “host parties together”. I get that she’s not had a lot of freedoms for those things growing up but it’s not like she would be unable to do those things with me! I want her to enjoy her life. So I feel like I’m justified in my hurt, she’s also said I love you and that she can see herself marrying me so I feel like this undermines our relationship because if she’s SO sure about our future then why is taking a step forward together a bag thing? Finally I offered to move in knowing it would help both of us with rent, chores, household responsibilities, etc. I cook and clean so it’s not like she’s burdened with me so I don’t get why IM considering how I can help HER and she’s not reciprocating that for ME

but what about ME, this was supposed to lower MY rent and give ME more room

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for telling my girlfriend she should’ve asked me to move in?

but what about ME, this was supposed to lower MY rent and give ME more room

This is the dude trying to make himself look good so girlfriend should run for the hills asap

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

hallo spacedog posted:

This is the dude trying to make himself look good so girlfriend should run for the hills asap

i like how she presented him with a fait accompli instead of telling him "no" up front, to keep his tantruming to a minimum

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

The comments on this are something else. This person can get yeeted into an acid vat the size of the sun

AITA for telling my boyfriend he needs to move?

quote:

For context I 30F have been dating my boyfriend 31M going on a year. When we first met he let me know that he is divorced with 3 children 6M 4F and a stepson 8M that he considers his son.

He also let me know his situation was unique and he was okay if I didn’t want to continue dating. Him and his ex wife are great friends, they simple got married to young and realized they were different people. Neither wanted to split custody so they turned their home into a duplex, that way they could both see the kids everyday and if his son wanted to see him he could just come over.

I can not have children and he explained he would not have more. Although it was a unique situation he’s a great guy so I kept it going.

Now onto a year he still is a great guy and I love him. However I can’t help but feel like I’m on the side of the real “family”. His ex still comes to all the holidays, the kids knock and can come in whenever. One of the kids is not really even his but still has open access to him. I think now that we’re serious things need to change.

I suggested he moves so that we can maintain a life outside of the “family” and he can move on. Well he blew up and called me an AH for suggesting it. He said he isn’t and never will be a “weekend” dad. But I’m just trying to look out for us and start our family. My sister agrees I’m the AH since he was upfront but am I really? Would having him move out really be an AH thing?

Commenter posted:

But the way you've worded your post makes it sound like you have a problem with his involvement with his kids. Is that true?

OP posted:

I have a problem that he needs for them to have access to him daily. I don’t see that as realistic.

OP posted:

Because sometimes it’s supposed to be just us and his son will walk in (has a key) and sit on the couch with us. Or tell him he has a really hard Lego set.

OP posted:

Because he is divorced, it’s only going to hurt the kids more that he won’t act like it. The kids barely understand that they are separated. The 8 year constantly includes his mother in plans.

"OP" posted:

No she is a nice lady and never tries to get in the way. But that’s the thing, she is extremely comfortable. She doesn’t care about me at all. She says things without acknowledging I might have an opinion. She jumps to do something for his parents without thinking I might want to. When his grandma was dying she sat by her side and then sat in the family side. I feel like I’m in a poly relationship.

Involuntary Sparkle fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 21, 2022

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

The comments on this are something else. This person can get yeeted into an acid vat the size of the sun

AITA for telling my boyfriend he needs to move?

I'd wouldn't be onboard with my partner essentially living in the same house as their ex tbh, but this is 100% one of those incompatible "just break up" situations

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Horror_Business posted:

My read is it's the wife who's making the argument that husband would have been a nazi, because most Germans fell in line, not husband making some calm Hitler treatise.

And in the current climate hearing that just makes me guess that the husband wears masks and is vaccinated.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im really struggling how these people are divorced when they have a joint home they live in, have full shared custody of the kids, and have hospital visitation rights.

Is this like when white people moved out of the cities to the suburbs but for marriage and the straights?

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
I mean it's not that hard to live next door to someone that you're not emotionally or physically intimate with in any way.

I feel like the idea that anything non-heteronormative must be toxic is a very strange one that comes up a lot even in this thread.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

PiratePrentice posted:

I mean it's not that hard to live next door to someone that you're not emotionally or physically intimate with in any way.

I feel like the idea that anything non-heteronormative must be toxic is a very strange one that comes up a lot even in this thread.

It's easy to see how the girlfriend feels like the mistress in this situation

from the read on it it does sound like he's doing everything but the sex with the ex wife and girlfriend is just there to fulfil that need

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

AceClown posted:

The thing I'm stuck on is how incredibly upset she is that he wants to see his kids daily. She thinks it's not normal for fathers to see their kids daily, things she says in the comments.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

AceClown posted:

from the read on it it does sound like he's doing everything but the sex with the ex wife and girlfriend is just there to fulfil that need

On the other hand he was entirely up front about that and said if she didn't like it he understood and wouldn't make a fuss, so...

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

On the other hand he was entirely up front about that and said if she didn't like it he understood and wouldn't make a fuss, so...

oh yeah, he's not in the wrong, neither of them are, it's just a total incompatibility of expectations and they should just break up

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

The thing I'm stuck on is how incredibly upset she is that he wants to see his kids daily. She thinks it's not normal for fathers to see their kids daily, things she says in the comments.

Thing is, it's not normal for divorced parents to see their kids daily, I know quite a few divorced folks and not a single one of them sees their kids every single day regardless of gender.

AceClown fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 21, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

This thread is only fun if you assume every story is probably fake, but that's exactly the kind of thing I would have said at 16

She's way more awesome than me at 16. I could just about struggle through textbook latin, but gently caress koine. And she's able to read academic-level literature about it.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AceClown posted:

Thing is, it's not normal for divorced parents to see their kids daily, I know quite a few divorced folks and not a single one of them sees their kids every single day regardless of gender.

It might not be normal. But is it wrong?

AITA for expecting my boyfriend to catch up with reviewing his advent calendar when I sent it to him late?

quote:

My boyfriend, who we can call Hugo, is all things lovely the majority of the time. We’ve known each other for six wonderful months and he never fails to be supportive of my endeavours, until December 16th.

Every year, I review a Christmas advent calendar. I video myself opening the advent calendar each day whilst giving my verdict. At the end of December, I compile a report and the videos and send it off to the company for that very important consumer feedback. As Hugo is in my life this year, I managed to get him on board with the review. I have small team, myself and my best friend usually doing it but it seemed even better that Hugo would now participate.

Anyway, a lot has happened in the build up to Christmas; The daily grind of work, getting my 10,000 steps in and battling a cycle of colds. This has meant I was delayed in sending Hugo his advent calendar to review. He did not actually receive it until the 16th of December. My request to him was that he still filmed himself opening it whilst staging that it was different days to try and keep the review as holistic as possible. We wouldn’t want the company knowing the first of his 16 days were all done in the space of 6 hours right?

Hugo was distressed by this thought, he was completely unreasonable and making such a scene saying he did not have time to film all of this. I advised him he’d made a commitment to this and couldn’t back out just because it got hard. In the end he did the video reviews but I just know he thinks I’m a complete nugget now.

I do kind of think I’m in the right here, AITA?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I have a hard time imagining how the OP might find a place for herself in that dynamic that’s NOT on the sidelines. How do you emotionally detangle yourself from the mother of your children who you still love on some level and also see everyday?

But yeah she also has a seriously warped idea on how involved the dad should be with the kids.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

There's a place up the street from me that has an incredible Taiwanese ruby milk tea with cheese foam and you milk tea haters sound like stuffy old British squares.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That sounds like a cake

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

There's a place up the street from me that has an incredible Taiwanese ruby milk tea with cheese foam and you milk tea haters sound like stuffy old British squares.

Brits almost exclusively have milk in tea, it's putting the milk in first that has everyone bent out of shape on that.

DemoneeHo posted:

It might not be normal. But is it wrong?

Not at all, it's just almost impossibly hard to make work when all of a sudden you have a life that is, well, divorced from your family life

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I liked how the dad thought it was mystical tea magic to steep it before adding anything which would cool it down, causing all the tea drinkers to have a collective stroke. Did he ever back off on that one?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I liked how the dad thought it was mystical tea magic to steep it before adding anything which would cool it down, causing all the tea drinkers to have a collective stroke. Did he ever back off on that one?

oh so that's why you don't put the milk in first. i had no idea, but then again i don't put milk in tea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for expecting my boyfriend to catch up with reviewing his advent calendar when I sent it to him late?

Wait, she's just sending the videos to the advent calendar company?? Not like, a youtube video? She's a psychopath he needs to sever.