Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Yor's cute, Yuri isn't.

People's opinions of him will flip the second he gets a makeover that leaves him looking like Anya's older brother. (Because she's adorable, and therefore if he was too...)

Punt Yuri to the garbage dump and just keep Franky around as Anya's fun uncle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What I'm mostly getting from this is that Yuri isn't bad because he's animeStasi, but because he's an annoying siscon and the animeStasi thing could be ignored if he was likable.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yuri has like three character traits: Smart, Stasi and Siscon. Two out of those three are pretty repulsive, so it's not surprising he is not a very likeable character.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 20, 2022

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Hey, he also pukes a lot.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

tsob posted:

What I'm mostly getting from this is that Yuri isn't bad because he's animeStasi, but because he's an annoying siscon and the animeStasi thing could be ignored if he was likable.

We got likeable anime James Bond (what's the German super-spy equivalent?) and likeable anime super assassin as the adult leads.

This manga needs buy-in from the start about ignoring that these people are, emphatically, NOT good people by early 21st century first world standards, and that they presumably have a direct body count reaching into statistics. Hell, we saw a small part of Yor's body count on page, it was thirty something guys, and we all cheered her for it.

So yes, if and when Yuri gets some character development beyond being Yor's siscon brother it'll be easier to pretend he's not anime Stasi.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Your, Loyd, and Anya are explicitly on missions with a goal of world peace. Yuri is on a mission to maintain and possibly expand the power of the state. Methods aside, his goals are terrible in comparison to team Forger.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

amigolupus posted:

New chapter.

While it doesn't seem like Yuri and Anya will get to interact in this arc, getting Henderson instead is a better trade-off. Him being totally convinced that Anya's some hardcore badass just because she's not freaking out over the bomb collar had me in stitches.

And holy hell, the Red Circus originally being a student protest group that got murdered by the police definitely got real there.

Gotta respect the hard shift from Henderson joining the fun to Billy explaining just why he's arrived at this point.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Omobono posted:

We got likeable anime James Bond (what's the German super-spy equivalent?)
Well, according to his "authorized biography" James Bond was born in Wattenscheid, so there you go :v:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Ultimately Yuri is an obstacle to what the reader most wants (Loid and Yor getting together) so it's kinda obvious why people wouldn't like him.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Yuri is the only sympathetic character because he's a true patriot who cares about his family

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Omobono posted:

So yes, if and when Yuri gets some character development beyond being Yor's siscon brother it'll be easier to pretend he's not anime Stasi.

This isn't a story that is interested in pretending. Loid is a child soldier with a massive loving body count. That isn't played as anything other than horrific. The Stasi were absolute loving bastards, who don't even have a single potential lie you could tell about them to make them look good. They weren't even true believers, they were corrupt as gently caress and lining their pockets the entire time. And there's no level where you could both be part of the Stasi and pretend you weren't loving innocent people over morning noon and night.

Combine with Siscon and Yuri's done.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Until and unless we see Yuri using the system to personally enrich himself then I'm pretty sure the manga is actually interested in pretending. And not just about Yuri or the anime version of the Stasi that he's a part of, but about spies and assassins to boot. Who are not nearly the lovable doofs just out to help protect people that the manga presents them as for the sake of being a goofy romantic comedy, even if it keeps some dark undertones about war and human nature.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

In this current chapter the notStasi are the ones that want to storm the bus, guns blazing, so they are rather notably worse than either WISE or the Garden.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Down With People posted:

Yuri is the only sympathetic character because he's a true patriot who cares about his family

Ignoring little girl and her dog trying to save the world for years.

Such a sad take.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Right, even within the internal morality of the story, the secret police's main contribution to this arc is torturing student protesters to death until they turn into terrorists, and then being unable to meet the terrorists' demands (because they've tortured too many of them to death for a prisoner exchange) and deciding to jump straight to mass child murder as their preferred solution. Yuri's side is actually coming off worse than the child-kidnapping terrorists, which is genuinely impressive, and he's going to have to put a hell of a lot of work in to get the audience rooting for him here.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Down With People posted:

Thank you, Caesar

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Gotta say, absolutely love people talking about which characters are moral and nobody mentioning Anya.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Anya is evil

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she's like 5, so yeah.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Gotta say, absolutely love people talking about which characters are moral and nobody mentioning Anya.

Entering people's minds without consent pretty cringe tbh. I kid, she's obviously a little gremlin angel who can do no real wrong. *slaps fake bomb collar to scare other children*

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Anya also didn't have a choice in becoming psychic. She's a kid who was experimented on there's like no moral framework to judge her on.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Sequel x Family will have Anya as psychic dictator of not-Europe and only Syon boy can stop her through the power of love or incredible violence.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Anya is a little poo poo by default because she's 5 (totally not four don't leave her dad) and morality is a very recent (by evolution time) patch barely stapled to the lizard part of our brain.

Good parents can solve this particular problem with time.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 21, 2022

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Sequel x Family will have Anya as psychic dictator of not-Europe and only Syon boy can stop her through the power of love or incredible violence.

why not both?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Omobono posted:

Anya is a little poo poo by default because she's 5 (totally not four don't leave her dad) and morality is a very recent (by evolution time) patch barely stapled to the lizard part of our brain.

Good parents can solve this particular problem with time.

Unfortunately Loid is teaching Anya the way to go with things is cheat and lie. Can't believe the assassin is the better role model (since she asks for help, is kind and only uses violence against kidnappers).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbplUALoyyU

So I looked up the chapters to be sure and that first one is definitely the bonus chapter where Yor gets shot in the rear end.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Electric Phantasm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbplUALoyyU

So I looked up the chapters to be sure and that first one is definitely the bonus chapter where Yor gets shot in the rear end.

Huh, I wonder why they moved it to season two? I suppose on some level them going on a "date" makes more sense then, since they're closer as well as more invested in the illusion, but at the same time, it being a relatively new dynamic that Loid was paranoid about falling apart does feel like part of the reason to do it. I guess chapters like that can slip in anywhere though, given the setup of the manga in general.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 24, 2022

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It was an extra chapter in the manga volumes to begin with, so it’s a cute little story that could have been slotted in anywhere, much like the aquarium episode from the first half of season 1.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Also, wherever it goes, it's best for it not to be too close to chapter 35, the post-tennis arc date, 'cause two dates in close proximity is a bit too quick for a slow-burn series like this.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Cruise Arc is going to be buck wild goodness.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Popo posted:

Cruise Arc is going to be buck wild goodness.

Studio's going to have a fun time with all the fight scenes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's really all up to anya. that is very troubling, but it still owns.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

New chapter's up, if it wasn't clear.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This is a roller coaster of an arc

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Glad the people in charge are working hard to not escalate things.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Go Anya, go

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yay texrbook radicalization.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Starlight Anya :swoon:

Down With People