Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

In my experience “guns unavailable for fire mission” is understood as “out of ammo” by the requester, but may actually mean anything from firing another mission, to on a fire plan, all the way to maintenance, repositioning or crews need to rest.

Some shell types, like illum or smoke, our allotment is much smaller and we will refuse requests for that reason to preserve them. HE is plentiful enough it’s used to spot for those missions so it’s not a big deal.

It could be, as Ardennes said about logistics, the supply of shells hasn’t been brought up yet that morning, so the gun position is low, but that doesn’t mean the army is out of shells, just that we have to wait for the pallets to get kicked out of trucks before firing a major mission.

A certain amount of ammo on position will be reserved for FPF or Brigade fires anyways, so there too “out of shells” and “out of shells for you” are different things.

tl;dr There’s never enough artillery for the infantry, from their point of view.

Militia units might also just be lower on the supply priority list for artillery shells. The trucks can only do so many trips within 24 hours after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

all artillerymen sleep in a big giant bed together

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ok forget Murz, ahahahaha, holy poo poo this is incredible. Everyone going on about some war, but this is the real poo poo I'm here for.

Стрелков Игорь Иванович posted:

About "Entry into politics"

Many readers and subscribers "made a stand" concerning my words about, "i'll have to get involved in politics". I started getting letters like "Which party are thinking of?", "joining who?", "starting your own party?" and the like.

Answering by points:
1. Not a single officially registered party sent me an invitation to join them - not in writing, or verbally, or even a hint of it.
2. I have no intention of joining any active party.
3. To make my own party (knowing very well - what kind of demands in that regard our "written in granite" under Surkov legal system makes, servicing "146% controllable democracy") - I especially have no intention (even if I got all the funding and other necessary resources).
4. I am not planning in participating in any election.

So how do I understand "getting involved in politics" in this case?
Here's how - political writing (in my case - military politics, but not just). This is the only sort of "politics" available to me at this moment. And there is no other kind of politics in the government at all.

Well, I also plan to use all my meager strength to help in forming that "third power", the necessity of which I've been talking about for nine years now.
Today, most likely, it has to look something like a club of "furious patriots" (by an astute expression of one of my acquaintances).

And I understand very well that a membership in this club is not in the cards for me (at least not right now). Not even mentioning any sort of "leadership". Since right now I can smother any sort of political activity of this sort with my mere presence. (Contrary to "reading coffee grinds" of many political analysts - I do not receive any support from the top and never have, and most certainly nobody is controlling me from the shadows).

But - even considering all of that - I will support any beginning of this kind. Not only, because "now is the time unlike any other", and not because, that right now, realistically, has huge potential (including, based on development of events, electoral), but because, that it may prove essential to the country "after Putin" - as a "rallying point" for genuine patriotic strength. Emphasizing - GENUINE .- Not "prostitutes with a salary and an armchair" (starting in ER-CPRF-LDPR-SR-"New People" and so on) and/or "having a seat at the table" in a select club or at "Tsargrad".

And real patriots exist. And they have resources. That means they need a platform.

Those are my political plans for the near future.

P.S. Of course this all speculation, since there's a war, which I am very likely to end up in (including as a conscript), and the saying "You can't escape from fate and prison" - shouldn't be forgotten - for me it's more than probable. Not to mention if am rich in anything it's mortal enemies - who "thirst for my blood" quiet literally.
(from t.me/strelkovii/3579, via tgsa)

bonus

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1601864867845054465

Whatever happened during the recent weeks, must have been something. Dude went from "a palace coup is the greatest threat to russia" to loving announcing a putsch? Incredible. This has to be a honeypot or some poo poo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

lobster shirt posted:

all artillerymen sleep in a big giant bed together

and have a pretty impressive ability to sleep through cannon fire.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Out of curiousity, because artillery functions so far behind friendly lines, how do artillery crews rest? Do they sleep near the guns or are they transported elsewhere?

You dig slit trenches in ideally camouflaged and sheltered area behind the gun position, and also set up tents. When moving more rapidly, crews can also sleep in their trucks, or trenches dug beside or under them. There are “recce” tents which are the modern pup tents that snap together that you can put next to the trucks as well.

You usually rest 25%, 50% or 70% watches, just like the infantry, with signallers and command post on a rotating watch so they can always “answer the phone”.

There will be times where the battery will have to fire, for example illumination, all night in which case they will be on 25% or 50% watch the next day. During fire planning you need to plan so a battery firing high intensity missions is well rested, with a day at least off, and similarly you have batteries available day and night by making sure their crews are firing missions in 12-16 hour blocks, then down to 8.

Basically, lifting 100lb shells is incredibly physically demanding and the rest is mentally draining, loud, and exhausting so you need to plan around sleeping, even if at the applied level that’s crews sleeping by the guns in anticipation of a busy night.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
F-15 Pedantic Eagle

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

American equipment is highly prized like the Brown Bess of its day

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45

Lostconfused posted:

That part might be him being too dramatic again. There's probably not enough shells for Russians to fire as much as they would like to. Would be interesting to see if the production did increase for them recently though and if that part about artillery firing twenty thousand times per day again is accurate.

It sounds like he thinks that ammunition is being concentrated on a few offensive operations and that other sectors are being starved. He's spent years providing UAVs and secure radios for DPR artillery crews so I'm sure he has plenty of sources of information there.

quote:

The next item is artillery. Normal defence is built on artillery and around artillery. If there is artillery called from the front line in real time, then there is defense. No artillery – no defense. Rifle infantry will not hold the defense for a long time. The Armed Forces of Ukraine mastered their artillery for 7 years, the Russian army relaxed its artillery as best it could, filling the paths with gravel on the firing ranges and kicking the “stupid Donbasians” for not doing this. And, of course, stopping any attempts to automate the work of artillery with the help of appropriate software. “Not allowed”. We see the result. Monstrous lunar landscapes in the fields, where there is not a trace of Ukrainian fortifications. Echelons of ammunition flew away to nowhere under the approving bleat of propagandists and “experts” like Shurygin. And in the end, artillery depots near Izyum, handed over to the enemy. Well done!

The result at the moment (which the Russian media and biased bloggers are diligently trying to cover up with stories about how the loving positions are taken out by 57-mm anti-aircraft guns and how cool it is to burn through the life of tank barrels with constant firing from closed positions) is a monstrous shell hunger in artillery. Air strikes from afar with unguided 80-mm rockets from a pitch-up (because if you fly closer, they will shoot you down) are also something only tickles a well-entrenched enemy, although it can look very impressive. Pew pew pew! Hooray! What a shot! And when the smoke settled – another plowed field. And the remnants of cannon artillery shells are spent, of course, on these same mini-Verduns throughout the contact line, which the Russian army diligently breeds one after another, grinding down infantry at them. Did the artillery gain radically more “eyes” in the air after 10 months? No. Did the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation bring the artillerymen enough autumn and winter camouflage nets for their guns? No. And winter is ahead. It will no longer be possible to hide the guns in the forests – the forests are bare, and then more snow will fall and in general, every step will be visible from the air. And the enemy with the UAV is doing well. Even considering losses. On our side, the stupid morons who wasted the ammo on plowing the fields decided to replace the six-inch projectiles with VOGs [greandes] dropped from copters. With the motivation “Well, hohols do it!”

speng31b
May 8, 2010

wow lots of posts in the war thread did something

oh okay, mlm had to correct someone's spelling

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah I know who murz is, his writing style just suck so I don't read it.

He ran into the same poo poo months ago at the start of this mess where he wrote a super dramatic blog that got banned by roscomnadzor.

And whoops, turns out that he was wrong and it was just really lovely on his section of the front.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol the gulf states love saying the quiet part loud

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Read any infantry accounts from the world wars and its the infantry bitching about not enough shells. Understandably, they’d prefer the enemy are shot off their position. However, the reason that doesn’t happen is not because there’s not enough shells so much as tubes, time, and other less exciting issues like surveying and siting new gun positions.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also “even considering (their) losses” undercuts a lot of his argument here. Arguably, it is indeed hard to blast an enemy out of fortified positions but as FF said artillery isn’t magic but if the enemy is taking heavy losses, that probably means someone his doing their job right.

In addition, it very well may not be a worthy use of a barrage to take out 1-2 soldiers rather than just drop a grenade on them.

I would say camouflage is more of an issue but that probably is more the militia getting the short end of the stick.

His point about helicopters is an old saw.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

I would say camouflage is more of an issue but that probably is more the militia getting the short end of the stick.
Yeah, sewing camouflage nets is of the things women in donetsk are doing now too.

ПриZрак Новороссии posted:

(from t.me/ghost_of_novorossia/8800, via tgsa)

Edit: Although these photos are from St. Petersburg. I think there's same type of volunteer activity in donetsk though too.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 04:54 on Dec 21, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Prolonged battles of attrition are exhausting, wearing on the guns and require a flow of logistics instead of gun position stockpiles. So what you see is a drop in rate of fire and mission frequency, fire plans, availability, to a more sustainable rate. Same thing happened with El Al, Goodwood, Gothic Line, Cambrai, Bagration etc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Read any infantry accounts from the world wars and its the infantry bitching about not enough shells. Understandably, they’d prefer the enemy are shot off their position. However, the reason that doesn’t happen is not because there’s not enough shells so much as tubes, time, and other less exciting issues like surveying and siting new gun positions.

It's like when you're playing Panzer General and you really don't want to assault a city until the Entrenchment level has been reduced to zero via artillery, but waiting that long is going to run you up against the Major Victory time limit.

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45

Ardennes posted:

Also “even considering (their) losses” undercuts a lot of his argument here. Arguably, it is indeed hard to blast an enemy out of fortified positions but as FF said artillery isn’t magic but if the enemy is taking heavy losses, that probably means someone his doing their job right.

In addition, it very well may not be a worthy use of a barrage to take out 1-2 soldiers rather than just drop a grenade on them.

His point about helicopters is an old saw.

I had cut the next paragraph, but his main complaint about UAV grenade drops was that command had ordered it done after seeing Ukrainian videos and they lost a bunch of critical observation UAVs from their inexperience.

quote:

But you loving can’t. Because the hands are coming from the rear end, and the rear end is instead of the head.
Because hohols have learned over the years how to properly terrorize our motherfuckers with these grenade drops. They have tactics, they have a system for applying it. Starting with a competent choice of a site that is optimal for dumping terror, identifying convenient targets and ending with a concentration of forces – when 4-6 copters arrange a “carousel” over some unit for several hours, bombarding it with these VOGs or makeshift bombs. And you fuckers just order the “Mavics”, for which the people have scraped together the money, hoping that they will conduct reconnaissance and adjust artillery. No, let’s bomb. Immediately! Tomorrow! And people run to carry out your loving order, headlong, without really working out either tactics or reconnaissance of targets. And they are trying to intimidate the army of moles with 30-mm little shits dropped from copters. And hohols jam these “Mavics” and shoot them down for their own pleasure, because they are NOT RETARDS, THEY ARE LEARNING. And the artillery remains not only with meager ammo but also without eyes.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah, sewing camouflage nets is of the things women in donetsk are doing now too.

(from t.me/ghost_of_novorossia/8800, via tgsa)

Edit: Although these photos are from St. Petersburg. I think there's same type of volunteer activity in donetsk though too.

A missed opportunity to do the mainstream media thing and claim these were all Ukranian women helping Slava ukrainia etc and used Photoshop to (poorly) smudge out any conflicting image content.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

GlassElephant posted:

I had cut the next paragraph, but his main complaint about UAV grenade drops was that command had ordered it done after seeing Ukrainian videos and they lost a bunch of critical observation UAVs from their inexperience.

It is also honestly seemingly effective for the relatively small cost (as the alternative is “creating a moonscape.”) The Russians do need a way to “pick” isolated positions that could potentially hold up an advance and again I wonder if this is again a militia versus regular army issue.

The militia has to scrap together money for drones while the regular army does what it wants.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 05:39 on Dec 21, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

GlassElephant posted:

critical observation UAVs from their inexperience.
This part has to be wrong.

If there's one thing that militias talk about is that UAVs are not critical, they're expendable and need to be used as such.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nah man drones have revolutionized warfare get with the program

Spotting artillery without them is literally impossible

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Malleum posted:

the fs2000 is sick as hell and more guns should be that bulbous and weird looking imo

it and the groza should have been the warfighter aesthetic of the 21st century rather than another hundred years of ars and aks

https://twitter.com/mikereports/status/1604868796115730433

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

I once ripped a horrible nasty fart in the presence of the archbishop of canterbury

fartchbishop

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's in schism with the patrifart

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
this is like the polar express where the boy goes to visit Santa Claus in the North Pole https://twitter.com/zelenskyyua/status/1605443014847086592

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

mawarannahr posted:

this is like the polar express where the boy goes to visit Santa Claus in the North Pole https://twitter.com/zelenskyyua/status/1605443014847086592

hmm i wonder how many grenade launchers the Ukrainians are bringing along to hand out to all their benefactors in Washington?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

it’s getting increasingly hard to get out the message about how great Ukraine is doing because I only have power 4 hours a day

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
also I’m not sure why he’s so pissed about not knowing the f 15ex or e or whatever can shoot nukes out it’s wings. I’m sure other people don’t know still *barely stifled laughter*

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

The Economist has announced that Ukraine is 2022's country of the year. Let's leave aside the ideological commitments of the magazine, and instead focus on previous winners of this award.

2013 Uruguay
2014 Tunisia
2015 Myanmar
2016 Colombia
2017 France
2018 Armenia
2019 Uzbekistan
2020 Malawi
2021 Italy

A warning to all countries, winning this prize is like the kiss of loving death

Slim Jim Pickens has issued a correction as of 11:37 on Dec 21, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/McFaul/status/1605197116799713280

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Silly Russians. Luxury goods are for westerners only.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Shocking news.

https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/status/1605534612750405634?t=b5w3WqwLzPwJaZvnPGclAA&s=19

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

drat after all this time trying to find evidence that russia did it they didnt find any? Maybe they should look at it from another angle

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

...China.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

I know a guy who genuinely thinks it was China

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

drat after all this time trying to find evidence that russia did it they didnt find any? Maybe they should look at it from another angle

*monkey's paw curls*

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

mawarannahr posted:

Is it odd that he's coming just at the end of a lame duck session of Congress?

Is the composition of the incoming house/ Senate less inclined to continue support for the war?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russians have crank start in front automobiles, they don’t need luxury goods, they need a color revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

Russians have crank start in front automobiles, they don’t need luxury goods, they need a color revolution.

yeah, red