Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Very good things are happening in the Philippines, and I look to hear more about them, folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Orange Devil posted:

That thread says China is on target for 2060 full decarbonization.

the government plan is carbon neutral not decarbonization

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
what's the difference

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

my understanding is that carbon neutral is not adding anymore carbon to the atmosphere and decarbonization is emitting less carbon than you sequester. carbon neutral slows/stops the damage from getting worse from what we’ve already hosed up and decarbonization is repairing the damage.

not that I’m criticizing China for not having a decarbonization plan ready to go but even at our best efforts the climate is still going to hell thanks to capitalism

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

what's the difference

"carbon neutral" means that if you take your CO2 (and CO2-equivalent) emissions, and then subtract from that number the amount of CO2 that you are removing* from the atmosphere, the number is "net zero"

"decarbonization" means turning that number negative such that your overall emissions are going down (to be clear, you would also reduce your emissions when pursuing "carbon neutral", but only as much as you would need to get to "net zero")

if one were pursuing decarbonization, one would hit carbon neutral along the way

____

* there's a big asterisk on this because of the concept of "carbon offsets", or "making up" for CO2 emissions with renewables, rather than the literal interpretation of taking CO2 out of the air

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

* there's a big asterisk on this because of the concept of "carbon offsets", or "making up" for CO2 emissions with renewables, rather than the literal interpretation of taking CO2 out of the air

lmfao figures

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

this allusion meant posted:

hydrogen to electricity rate is fine. what's much less fine is natural gas to hydrogen to electricity, or electricity (ideally excess renewable production) used for hydrolysis of water to hydrogen to electricity. hydrogen to flame to electricity is also quite bad but that's why no one bothers with it

Hydrogen use case is as a by product of offshore wind (cooling systems already do hydrolysis but the hydrogen is just vented off) and also as an alternative type of battery for wind and solar when demand on the system is low but generation is high you can bypass to producing hydrogen rather than knocking off turbines or cells.

Also like in the UK Scotland is the best area for wind but has little demand, reconfiguring the grid to get the generation from the shetlands down to London is a logistical nightmare, so those farms could just be dedicated to producing hydrogen which is then shipped to London or wherever

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
this is getting a little into the weeds but a fundamental problem with climate change action/CO2 emissions is that building renewables, by itself, isn't enough - if the entire power needs of Country X was 100 gigawatts, and that was all coming from oil/coal/gas, and then they built 100 gigawatts of solar/wind/hydro (or even nuclear, and handwaving-away reliability/spot-capacity issues), that wouldn't actually get them to cut their emissions, because the renewables just end up attenuating market prices for the oil/coal/gas

Country X would simply sell their fossil fuels if they produced it themselves, or would continue to burn SOME fossil fuels, and using renewables as a backstop. if Fusion Power ever became A Thing, the country that invented it would simply use it to free up domestic fossil fuel consumption in favor of exports (or domestic uses of fossil fuels for anything that can't draw from the fusion-powered grid, like cars)

if you want to curb, or even reduce, the rate that we're flinging CO2 into the air, we have to be actively dismantling fossil fuel capacity, production, and infrastructure

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i figured that was a part of the plan that nobody's following but i guess even that's optimistic lmao

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Yeah more plentiful energy means cheaper energy means more demand for energy as more business models become viable.

See also the cancer that is cryptocurrency.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Truga posted:

i figured that was a part of the plan that nobody's following but i guess even that's optimistic lmao

yeah hence why when I looked at the power generation numbers I was like “oh there was never any hope after all was there”

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is getting a little into the weeds but a fundamental problem with climate change action/CO2 emissions is that building renewables, by itself, isn't enough - if the entire power needs of Country X was 100 gigawatts, and that was all coming from oil/coal/gas, and then they built 100 gigawatts of solar/wind/hydro (or even nuclear, and handwaving-away reliability/spot-capacity issues), that wouldn't actually get them to cut their emissions, because the renewables just end up attenuating market prices for the oil/coal/gas

Country X would simply sell their fossil fuels if they produced it themselves, or would continue to burn SOME fossil fuels, and using renewables as a backstop. if Fusion Power ever became A Thing, the country that invented it would simply use it to free up domestic fossil fuel consumption in favor of exports (or domestic uses of fossil fuels for anything that can't draw from the fusion-powered grid, like cars)

if you want to curb, or even reduce, the rate that we're flinging CO2 into the air, we have to be actively dismantling fossil fuel capacity, production, and infrastructure

yep.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

also we don't even have the manufacturing capability, globally, to develop new wind, solar etc at a rate to replace carbon. Europe keep trying to use their own factories but keep having to go cap in hand to China who are, rightfully, focusing on themselves.
More oil, gas, coal will need to be made to facilitate the production of renewables.

:shepicide:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Kaveman posted:

Hydrogen use case is as a by product of offshore wind (cooling systems already do hydrolysis but the hydrogen is just vented off) and also as an alternative type of battery for wind and solar when demand on the system is low but generation is high you can bypass to producing hydrogen rather than knocking off turbines or cells.

Also like in the UK Scotland is the best area for wind but has little demand, reconfiguring the grid to get the generation from the shetlands down to London is a logistical nightmare, so those farms could just be dedicated to producing hydrogen which is then shipped to London or wherever

I thought the Tory has shut down new turbine building because NIMBY landlords.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's really true? New energy sources won't affect the easy oil and gas drilling in Saudi, but if you can push safe nuclear electricity price low enough to suppress the expensive oil extraction such as deep sea and fracking.

I understand the argument of renewable energy development won't affect the coal mining of countries that only have coal resource, such as India. It would be stupid for India to stop burning coal. Just for national security reason they need to rely on decent amount of demotic energy source. Also same reason China won't stop the coal plants.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

unwantedplatypus posted:

The Americans did a lot of warcrimes

the US used to do a lot of war crimes, they still do, but they used to, too

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah

to be clear I'm SYQ-ing not only because of the "healthcare pls" aspect where people are so focused on Sorkin-esque nibbling at the margins of how elections are run instead of thinking about what policies a president should implement that'll actually deliver material results, even the actual policies themselves are anti-democratic

how is bongbong marcos doing so far

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol in Canada were building "modular reactors" for the energy needs of the oilsands

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
A lot these nuclear energy projects are secretly military search. Like the only nuclear reactor project UK is working on is some kind of mini nuclear plant. And they are paying France and China to build their actual civilian nuclear plants.

Also the US nuclear fusion project that made news recently. If you are using laser to initiate fusion, you are never going to make a cost efficient power plant. However all these search data of laser hitting "controlled nuclear bomb" state let you design new bomb without violating the nuclear test ban.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lobster shirt posted:

how is bongbong marcos doing so far

gradenko_2000 posted:

I haven't been posting about domestic Philippine politics that much but the current issues are:

The Marcos-dominated Congress wants to create a "sovereign wealth fund", named after Marcos's mythological narrative of Maharlika, and they're going to use social security and government pension funds to put money into it

it's supposedly trying to emulate the Singapore model, but nobody outside of Congress actually believes in that and everyone else knows that it's just going to be a way to transfer government money into private investments. Maybe someone with a better background on the Malaysia sovereign wealth fund scandal can provide the historical backdrop of that corruption mess

___

With respect to the national budget, the Executive keeps requesting for, and Congress keeps granting, the idea of "confidential funds", which is a certain slice of the budgetary allocation for a certain department that... is confidential. As in there's no specific programming for where the money will be spent on, and no Congressional oversight.

Specifically, they're looking at granting 150 million pesos in confidential funds to the Department of Education, which is currently run by our Vice President, Sara Duterte. Why the education department would need black box funding is a "mystery", but it obviously has to do with the fact that Duterte is running that branch of the government

___

An extra round of tax cuts that were programmed into the tax cut law that Duterte passed in 2017 are scheduled to automatically kick in on January 1 of 2023. The Department of Finance was petitioning Marcos to defer these tax cuts shortly before he assumed office, but he has not responded. We'll see if he caves before the New Year. It does feel a little odd because it's an across-the-board reduction in income taxes (with all of the business-sector-beneficial cuts already in effect for years now), so I'm personally in a position to benefit from it, were it to happen

since this post:

* the national budget has passed Congress and has been signed by the President, including all the "confidential funds" and a massive boost to the funding of the anti-communist task force

* the "sovereign wealth fund" bill was declared by Marcos to be a high-priority bill, which let it sail through the lower House in a day. It's on its way to the Senate, where it'll probably also pass (there's just one non-right-wing Senator in the upper chamber)

* mandatory ROTC also passed through the lower House already, and will probably be taken up by the Senate in the new year

* you probably already know this but Marcos lifted outdoor masking in October, then all masking in November. Lots of people still wear masks as a personal decision, but at times it gets down to maybe 50-50 in a crowd. COVID's probably going to surge after Jan 2

* inflation was at 8.0% as of November, the worst since the Great Recession, and there's no response to any of it

it's just mostly bad all around

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

* mandatory ROTC also passed through the lower House already, and will probably be taken up by the Senate in the new year

that's interesting. do you think that'll drop enlistment rates if everyone gets a taste of the officer life? is there as big a split between the two military castes as in the states? i'd assume so

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

whats the point of developing new nuclear bombs when you already have thousands of them? is there something you can destroy with a newer design you couldn't with the old ones?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

whats the point of developing new nuclear bombs when you already have thousands of them? is there something you can destroy with a newer design you couldn't with the old ones?

obama's overhaul of the arsenal in 2014-ish was said to make it more reliable long-term and have cheaper upkeep but it's just an employment program and MIC handout imo

i still remember a tom clancy book talking about how russia's arsenal is completely nonfunctional and just has degrading rockets sitting in flooded silos across siberia, so it'd be no biggie to kick off armageddon with little retaliation. fingers crossed!!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

probably improved precision/targeting, maybe missile defense evasion - i know russia and north korea have heavily developed icbms that can (or are intended to at least lol, not an icbm expert here) defeat missile defense systems.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Yeah it's all targeting and missile defense stuff, maybe something to make the fallout less deadly. You know, working towards making tactical nukes a possibility. That's their end game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Plunder, why not make sure for mayhem on the high seas and general piracy charges while you're at it

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/_yaohsi_/status/1605346254279495686

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

unlike the rest of China, who all instinctively knew Mandarin I guess? not sure what the point is there.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Xiamen and Fuzhou are not Chinese and must be freed by the USMC post haste.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
im pretty sure no chinese besides the upper class knows Mandarin before the founding of PRC

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

a lot of dialects are basically mandarin. like a scottish person learning american english or something. sichuanese

but taiwanese is pretty far away. like spanish person learning english

and mandarin had a lot of native speakers forever

the mandarin bit includes the dialects that I'm thinking are 'basically mandarin'. idk wtf year this map is supposed to be with the populations

and china has a bunch more languages than this

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 05:37 on Dec 21, 2022

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Why were the Japanese teaching Mandarin and Cantonese? Training spies? Translators for the war?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
haven't read the source book but it sounds like made up bullshit

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

50% is pretty much standard in new construction all over the world, how the hell are yanks still at 30

because we don't build infrastructure

the average age of of us power generation plants has been unchanged (at 29 years, so the average power plant is only barely from the 90s) for over a decade now

things are only replaced as they break, not as part of any modernization efforts

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

American infrastructure is a monument to decay

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Goddamit China was doing so good for so long and now it's just speed running the same path as the US

https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1011953/as-couriers-fall-sick%2C-chinese-cities-ask-residents-to-fill-in?source=channel_home

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Benagain posted:

Goddamit China was doing so good for so long and now it's just speed running the same path as the US

https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1011953/as-couriers-fall-sick%2C-chinese-cities-ask-residents-to-fill-in?source=channel_home

nobody could of forseen this

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
It's okay if your packages get delayed a few days jeez.

I kind of get annoyed when I read Chinese forum posts complained about hard to find fever medicines and cough medicine in the last few weeks.

These loving Chinese, they have had convenience of getting easy 1 day delivery for so long they have completely forgotten the dark art of prepping. I have stashed cabinet full of emergency medicines and other poo poo in case of power outage since early 2020. When that Texas icestorm power outage happened, I got my water filters and propane cockwares.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 14:52 on Dec 21, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Pfffff delivery, you can't even find that stuff on the shelves of a drug store over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/jenniferzeng97/status/1605022829661003776