Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Quote is not edit christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
alright fuckit, I'm listening to the generator rattle and its annoying the poo poo out of me by blocking my software projects so let's take apart a dead rear end 7.3.

When I said this engine had blowby, I wasn't kidding.
The lower plenum cover is made of stamped sheet stock. Probably in the 20 gauge range. Note that it's bent around the brand new injection pump.

Pulling the passenger bank head. Cylinder 1 is at the bottom, 7 at the top.
It is clear that #5 and #7 were burning oil.

Inspecting the bores.

Looking at #1 and #3, the part number is still visible in the piston. However, the top of the bore has more than five thou inches of wear. This engine has heavy wear.

#5 and #7.

Zoom. Enhance.
Fire channel is badly damaged. The crown is rounded off. The piston moves radially in its loving bore. The relief for the valves is imprinted on the piston of #7 and the part numbers are long worn off.
The knocking and rhythmic rattle this engine has had since I've bought the truck that I thought was an exhaust leak and maybe a dying vacuum pump? This is it. I finally found it. This is why this truck was parked in a field for 10 years.

The top most section of the bore where the rings do not wipe is rich with piston.

Nothing more to see. Button it back up after I steal the Inconnel precups on this side.

Thank you for your time 7.3, you are no longer needed and you may now rest till you are melted into ford truck frames. Your dicky oil cooler will never ruin my day again.

So let's recap here. I took a dead farm truck that sat for 10+ years and put it back on the road not fully knowing what lied below. Made it to run. Made it run well. Fixed its ailments. Then turbocharged it for twenty thousand miles. Then put a 3 ton camper on it. Then drover it 12 thousand miles coast to coast border to border this way. I blamed myself for weeks for killing this engine. It was already dead when I got to it. I just sometimes forget to take a step back and maybe quit.

This should be a cautionary tale for anybody looking at an old diesel. All the 7.3s I've ever touched were hard starting noisy gutless smokey bastards.
Yeah well. Time changes some things. They're all hosed.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

So that perennial rattle was piston slap?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sure was. One of a few posts ago with the full on banging? yeah that's #7 trying to escape by punching the fuckin head. I'm pretty sure the Babbitt bearing for #7 is toasted but with rain/sleet falling I wasn't willing to flip this oily mess over to find out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Those pistons have a pretty sweet balls and dickroot print in them

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Saw this book at the library and was reminded of this thread (also goddamnit I need to turn off that watermark)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
If it doesn't cover 'poop pyramids' and a how to guide on taming feral stinky slinkies it's an incomplete book and I can't recommend it.

After a major part replacement there's this post job sensitivity where every little weird sound cues unwanted thoughts of oh poo poo what if its breaking again or oh poo poo did I tighten the motor mounts down.
Is there a shoptowel still jammed in the intake?

The trucks back together and seems to be running well. But it's hardly any good parked at the fairgrounds. We've been in central Colorado for a month and it's really time to find some new scenery. The repower has exhausted the last of the funds allocated for a year off. At the one year mark. Employment will be something to sort out once in the southwest.

Old school trick to reuse dead oil jugs.

The finished work itself.

We finally get to leave Denver. But i70 is now treacherous and i80 is no better. The only option is to turn south. There's a front that came through and dumped tons of snow in the mountains. We're not getting over that.
But going south we can run parallel to it for a while. And maybe get somewhere warmer.

Some hundred or so miles later. Usually with a diesel the oil turns black 2 seconds after starting it post oil change.

Transition point next to the DeWeese Reservoir. It's going to be cold tonight. Good test for the new engine.

Extra. Cold. -10C overnight (14F). Or a Canadian warm summer afternoon. Frost on the inside of the windows.

Condensation that dripped off the roof has frozen on the truck's fender.

If you're cold, they're cold. So go ride em.

Cold start of the truck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxxUe64_BRk
Not bad for 7 glowplugs. The connector for #7 under the turbo didn't seat. I found the free range glowplug connector in New Mexico a few days later.

For a 20 year old rotbox on a 30 year old farm truck, ain bad.

And onto New Mexico!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

gently caress yeah. I love how a bum engine seems like a minor stumbling block. Ever onward!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Considering the glow plug situation, I'd call that a pretty effortless cold start.

What's up with the charging? Just not spinning fast enough to get all excited yet?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Suburban Dad posted:

gently caress yeah. I love how a bum engine seems like a minor stumbling block. Ever onward!

That took a lot to pull off. Can't stress that enough.

glowplug system does its own thing long after the glowplug lamp goes out. They pull ~200A with a ~100A 1G alternator pushing electrons across a 4awg wire on a bus bar. couple with slightly crap batteries and a slightly abused 3.6kW Mitsubishi starter the Voltages kinda sag.

The Voltage gauge gets its reading off of a 14awg cable run from the starter solenoid on the right fender allllll the way around to the column where the ignition switch is then distributed through the fuse panel adjacent to it. Hitting any largish cab load like the power windows or heater blower will make the gauge swing wildly. Outside of where the thread is I used the gauge to diagnose a frozen window switch a month or two back making intermittent contact. Continuing the out-of-thread-derail it'll start around 55 deg fartenheit without glows about as good as the above cold start vid with em.

The sender for the oil pressure gauge is an uncle bezos bazar of bullshit sender that doesn't work for poo poo. The pump runs at 18.3gpm so it's fiiiine.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kinda figured it was something with the glows, with the rapid relay clicking coinciding with the CEL flickering.

3.6kW starter, loving yikes. I remember looking at the specs for my old Ecoshit 2.2 and "... the starter only pulls 30A? why does this shitpile have a 150 amp alternator?". (it's the electric PS)

People are now starting to swap Mustang EPS into old Crown Vics. Yeah.... uh... while it's a fairly easy swap, you gonna start an alternatorBQ pretty quickly on a civilian model. 03+ P71s (200A alternators) will probably see reduced alternator life, but they'll handle it awhile.

FWIW, on my stepdad's 92 F-150, I used the voltage gauge to narrow down "motor or regulator" pretty quick anytime a window poo poo out (it was ALWAYS the regulator except for once). Sensitive enough to even pick up the locked fuel pump on the 2nd tank (it sagged a bit for a couple of seconds when trying to switch tanks). And like you mentioned, also used to to figure out if the switch was bad. I suspect if my 07 still had a voltage gauge, I could use it in a similar way.. (but a cig lighter voltage meter does a good job... for that matter, so does OBD2 voltage - the sag is NUTS at idle with the sub amp, even tho the amp is connected to the "50 amp" police wiring in the trunk).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 29, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
CEL is tied to a little idiot minder in the back of the cluster. Its related to the oil pressure sender.
I may revert it back to being a dummy gauge. The big can of the PS60 sender just doesn't lend well with its location on top of the turbo.

lolol regulator issues. On point. The Voltage gauge has been my lighthouse and reminder for years when its time to get out and jiggle the regulator/ alternator field connectors. Ofc that's no longer a problem.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Is it okay to ask for recommendations ITT? Seems like the right crowd, happy to post elsewhere.

Can anyone point me to some good options for bolt in campers for late model pickups? Do places like Outdoor World have ones I can go see?

More context:
I am thinking of buying a 21/22/New 4 door F150 or similar in the next year. My wife and I love road trips, shes loves camping, I...prefer a 3+ star hotel. She'd be scared to tow a trailer so I'm looking at bolt in options for a camper that can be put in the bed of an F-150. I'm a Mech Eng, was a machinist, not scared of fiberglass work, so I'd happily do a DIY. Budget would be flexible (~$25K I pulled from thin air), I want to make a 3 star hotel on wheels. Should be able to use A/C with engine on, hot plate cook, microwave, fridge, etc.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 29, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's a dedicated tow pig thread for truckfuckling. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4011015
TGO has a dedicated rv thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895768

Outside looking in? You won't get what you seek on a F350 let alone a F150. Luxury while parked and or moving is not light weight nor is it cheap. This thread is a testament to that.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

cursedshitbox posted:

There's a dedicated tow pig thread for truckfuckling. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4011015
TGO has a dedicated rv thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895768

Outside looking in? You won't get what you seek on a F350 let alone a F150. Luxury while parked and or moving is not light weight nor is it cheap. This thread is a testament to that.

TY! Ill read those.

Sounds like it is questionably made carbon fiber RV time.

EDIT: the RV thread and your posts in it are super helpful, thank you!

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 29, 2022

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CarForumPoster posted:

Is it okay to ask for recommendations ITT? Seems like the right crowd, happy to post elsewhere.

Can anyone point me to some good options for bolt in campers for late model pickups? Do places like Outdoor World have ones I can go see?

More context:
I am thinking of buying a 21/22/New 4 door F150 or similar in the next year. My wife and I love road trips, shes loves camping, I...prefer a 3+ star hotel. She'd be scared to tow a trailer so I'm looking at bolt in options for a camper that can be put in the bed of an F-150. I'm a Mech Eng, was a machinist, not scared of fiberglass work, so I'd happily do a DIY. Budget would be flexible (~$25K I pulled from thin air), I want to make a 3 star hotel on wheels. Should be able to use A/C with engine on, hot plate cook, microwave, fridge, etc.

Hahahaha. No. Add a zero and you're on the cheap end of a 3-star hotel on wheels. A new diesel F350 is going to run you $65k alone.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

CarForumPoster posted:

More context:

Get a van instead. Well, cheers!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

sharkytm posted:

Hahahaha. No. Add a zero and you're on the cheap end of a 3-star hotel on wheels. A new diesel F350 is going to run you $65k alone.

I meant not including the cost of the car, obvs

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

CarForumPoster posted:

I meant not including the cost of the car, obvs

*cost of the van.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

builds character posted:

*cost of the van.

yea that too

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
200k for a revel, 750 thou for an earthroamer. start there.

60-120 thou for the truck. (A suitable finished donk replacement of the required duties runs about 125 now.)
40-70 thou for a 2-4 star quality slide in with the amenities you seek.
5-10 thou for lithium and solar if you want one-two big appliances at a time. 10-15 thou if you want two-three big appliances at a time.

If you want hydronic, heated floors, auto leveling, that sorta stuff. cubic bucks.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
A half ton pickup is going to absolutely suck with any real load in the bed or behind it. A 3/4 ton will be too light for a nice truck camper but will at least have a transmission and suspension above the light duty half ton parts.

CSB has a one ton and is having these issues, there might be an extra thousand pounds of epoxy in there to help beat on that poor old truck.

A van might work but any I've driven have had poo poo leg room for the driver, ymmv.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

SpeedFreek posted:

A van might work but any I've driven have had poo poo leg room for the driver, ymmv.

Not enough leg room?
I am a little person
Shame for the bourgois

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Long legs, bad knees. A two hour round trip in a Chevy express van and I ate it getting out after, could barely walk the next day.The wheel well takes up the spot your foot is supposed to go. I haven't driven a sprinter but the transit vans have the same issue for me.

If that's not an issue find a Quigley? 4x4 conversion. I've seen some bad rear end looking ones out there.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
My bad, sorry CSB.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 30, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Quigleys especially in diesel cost a grip of money. gently caress a v10. 4.6mods are gutless. 5.4s are medicore. Get one new enough for a 6.2 or 7.3.
tldr: don't buy a loving six liter.
the 7.3 is old as christ now. none are intercooled. They're over 20 years old at the absolute newest examples. They're hovering near the 100 thou mark. That's a lotta dough for a project van. You'd be basically buying into the problems you're seeing in this very thread.

I am happy to continue posting on this topic, but please pick one of the above threads for it.

E2: working on an effortpost in the towing thread

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 30, 2022

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I would spend the money on the national parks that have cabins, and go stay there. Or better yet $1k in a tent and all the camping poo poo and stay in 4 star hotels the rest of the time.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
IIRC during your build thread you were using an eink monitor of some kind. Any details on that and how it worked out?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nystral posted:

IIRC during your build thread you were using an eink monitor of some kind. Any details on that and how it worked out?

Wasted no time responding after the re-open eh! The boox E-ink is no longer used in favor of this e-ink thing I built in mid 2022 that's been in operation for several months now.

As it stands the magtag (the thing above) runs a PV system overview, solar mppt details, inverter details, imu, and soon to be weather. The backlight color changes depending on charge state. I use it when I wake up at night. I'm kind of running into system limitations(it's slow as hell to refresh) with it so I'll likely build something a little better for 2023. These devices do not like UV for some reason.
There's also a graphana instance that we can graph everything through a browser. Home Assistant may be set back up too.

After DeWesse reservoir came a KOA in a sleepy little town just called Raton in the NM border. The new engine pulls hills really slowly, even for winter. No surprise, the pump is configured for a naturally aspirated engine. I'll have to sort this later. It's really slow. It also runs a little warm for the given power. It flat doesn't cool over exhaust gas temps of 450C. But I can't get the required gaskets to address what I am suspecting is the thermostat not fully opening.
New Mexico marks state #24.

It's a little too cold in Raton to explore the local mines and such. We'll have to come back. Had a few good conversations with the locals about exploring such.

Much needed laundry and a full scrub of the rv.

Drove southward through SantaFe. Didn't stop. drat will we have to though.

Made a right turn in Albuquerque to get the right parts.

Then nearly made the wrong turn and nearly took a blue-black diamond jeep trail to camp. Good thing we parked the rig and hiked.

Instead I went up the back side of the mountain. Easy peasy.

Flexing like a square body.

At camp. Mostly where jeeps and side by sides roams. Definitely got some eyeballs of what in the hell????

Buuuut solar sucks here. So back down the trail we go.

How slow is this new engine?
I got dusted by a 22r dolphin.

The new camp is out at a desert flat just outside of Truth or Consequences, NM. Funny the name. Its from an old gameshow. It was a sleepy little town called Hot Springs till it became TV famous.
Part of traveling is that things get busted. Glass decanters? no good in something that crawls rocks.

Opening up the Tstat. Its a knockoff.
This coolant port is plugged. The engines will not run correctly if this port is plugged. Definitely describes the weird hysteresis in the glowplug controller system as it breaks over the 120F coolant temperature mark.

Genuine on the right.The base is rubberized to seal against the block. I topped off the fan clutch at the same time.

The Driver's side glass 9" Hella 4000 Rallye is out again. Ground crimp broke off. Repaired that while I was in there.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

cursedshitbox posted:

Made a right turn in Albuquerque to get the right parts.
Then nearly made the wrong turn
What's up doc?

Those thermostats don't even look like the same part, more like a "close enough if it fits in the hole" thing.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
It looked close enough on the boroscope but uhhhhh nope it sure doesn't function like the genuine part does.

Fellow beater ford

And a C3 in its natural state.

Transit spot waaaayyy out of the reach of some other campers on this road.

Random bike maintenance. These misalignment spacers have been broken for a year.

Not a lot for riding around here. Couple good rolling hills but mostly flat washes and sand. It's fine and all, but its no single track.

New cheap coffee maker with a thermal carafe that'll stand up to the rigors of rattling down dirt roads

Thoroughly bored and having explored everything in the vicinity we roll on to the next point near Las Cruces.

My first big fuckup is that I violated my rules and traveled after dusk.

The trail got really narrow between the foliage at one point and scraped the hell out of the paint.

It may buff out.

I then realize the umbilical cable that powers all the camper's exterior lighting is gone. It got caught somewhere and yanked off of the rig. And is now not here.

I pull the bike down and go back tracking after it.
It's still where I left it, however I also ran it over crushing the plastic shroud of one end. Big wad of tape will fix it.

Got dusted out by the finest people on side by sides flying flags that indicate clearly the level of information they're working with.

Plug the cable in. Its all good. Powered the freezer down for the winter to save having to run the generator. There is a metric ton of offroad traffic here, including brodozers. This is too close to civilization if those things are driving by.

However nearby is a caldera.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

It looked close enough on the boroscope but uhhhhh nope it sure doesn't function like the genuine part does.

Fellow beater ford

And a C3 in its natural state.

Transit spot waaaayyy out of the reach of some other campers on this road.

Random bike maintenance. These misalignment spacers have been broken for a year.

Not a lot for riding around here. Couple good rolling hills but mostly flat washes and sand. It's fine and all, but its no single track.

New cheap coffee maker with a thermal carafe that'll stand up to the rigors of rattling down dirt roads

Thoroughly bored and having explored everything in the vicinity we roll on to the next point near Las Cruces.

My first big fuckup is that I violated my rules and traveled after dusk.

The trail got really narrow between the foliage at one point and scraped the hell out of the paint.

It may buff out.

I then realize the umbilical cable that powers all the camper's exterior lighting is gone. It got caught somewhere and yanked off of the rig. And is now not here.

I pull the bike down and go back tracking after it.
It's still where I left it, however I also ran it over crushing the plastic shroud of one end. Big wad of tape will fix it.

Got dusted out by the finest people on side by sides flying flags that indicate clearly the level of information they're working with.

Plug the cable in. Its all good. Powered the freezer down for the winter to save having to run the generator. There is a metric ton of offroad traffic here, including brodozers. This is too close to civilization if those things are driving by.

However nearby is a caldera.

Did you see any other cool rocks in the caldera?

lol at comparing the two beater fords. Like comparing a beloved farm horse to a cyber horse that some mad scientist has replaced its heart with a diesel engine and look I don't know where I'm going with this analogy but I just laughed at the idea that those two beater fords were the same.

Riding might not have been great, but this picture is ridiculous.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Hah, we coincidentally bought that exact same Black & Decker coffee machine after I accidentally shattered the glass carafe on our old one.
Feels very solid and confidence-inspiring.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Hey, that's my neck of the woods! Cruces isn't a bad place, as long as you keep in mind that NM is sandwiched in between some of the biggest idiocy out there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Can confirm, I grew up not too far from there. I'm very much a product of the idiocy as if you needed me to tell you I'm an idiot

Y'all trying to make me homesick? Not gonna work unless you post up food from some of my favorite restaurants. :colbert:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Been to Cruces and ABQ several times. Cruces has/had a good hole-in-the-wall donut place called Bosa Donuts, worth getting if you're still there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
ABQ's got a surprisingly good ramen spot. Don't go to Bob's Burgers.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nah, if you want an easy to get burger that's tasty, grab a green chile cheeseburger from Blake's Lotaburger. All over NM now, a couple in El Paso too. I THINK they started in either ABQ or Alamogordo.

Haven't had one in ages, but I make a version at home.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 7, 2023

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Did you see any other cool rocks in the caldera?

lol at comparing the two beater fords. Like comparing a beloved farm horse to a cyber horse that some mad scientist has replaced its heart with a diesel engine and look I don't know where I'm going with this analogy but I just laughed at the idea that those two beater fords were the same.

That was about the gist of it.
Donk's a solid twenny footer. It's a decent truck but only through me dragging it kicking and breaking in the most bizarre ways. it still has clear signs of its prior life as a countryside paperweight.

New Mexico was one of those states we kinda flew through and did not spend enough time anywhere in. Like all of two weeks. I definitely want to go back. Green chiles rule.
I've been to ABQ many many many many times. Santa Fe is like an hour away and we literally passed by the one time I've seen it. I would have spent a couple weeks there if anything.
We were kind of in a rush to get back to the southtwest and go back to a warmish cheapish wintertime stay and let everything cool off from the whole Denver experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

STR posted:

Nah, if you want an easy to get burger that's tasty, grab a green chile cheeseburger from Blake's Lotaburger. All over NM now, a couple in El Paso too. I THINK they started in either ABQ or Alamogordo.

Haven't had one in ages, but I make a version at home.

You can’t say that without telling us the recipe!