Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

gently caress it, I'm eating out today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

THF13 posted:

I'm looking for a checking account for paying rent via online bill pay. I'd like it to have the following
-No fees
-No minimum balance
-Pulls money out of the account as soon as they send the bill, even for bills sent by a check through the mail.

Alliant Credit Union used to do this, but they now send a personal check and the money is only withdrawn from my account when my landlady cashes the check, which she does not do in a reliable or timely fashion.

Not planning on using this account for anything besides automating a monthly ACH transfer in (initiated from a different account) and the monthly bill pay out, so all other features/conveniences/other accounts available are unimportant.

You can just get another alliant account and do the same thing and just ignore the balance.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Hadlock posted:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I got Dave's Hot Chicken today and it was delicious. Strong recommend, although their Extra Hot is "runny nose" spicy, not mouth-pain-spicy.

If you want hotter ("Reaper") you have to check a box that you won't try to get a refund.

Sliders are delicious, tenders are great too but I wish they didn't come with a slice of white bread that gets tossed in the trash.

This is their first commercial. Is that a fuckin'... Hereditary reference? Why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8pGl5_5_FA

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That commercial is kinda lovely and mean spirited but no it's not a Hereditary reference. In Hereditary the kid is sticking her head out the side window and gets it knocked off by a telephone pole.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Any advice on writing a recommendation letter? It’s for a grad school application for someone I used to mentor. My basic paragraph outline is intro / technical skills / interpersonal skills / specific example combining the two / wrap up. Even though it’s been a few years, it’s been easy to sing her praises. Any specific things I should include or exclude?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My 0% APR on new purchases/balance transfers ends on 12/19, I just want to make sure I'm 100% sure on the timings. Does this mean the balance I've accrued on this promotional rate has to be zero'd by that exact date so I don't get hit with a big fee that morning, or will it be that everything up to the statement sent that day will be fine until the payment due date a few weeks later?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Looks like Discover bumped my online savings to 2.75%, and First Republic is offering an 8-month CD at 3.75%. Strange times!

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
US bank refused to cash two 30 year old EE Bonds to me today. They said it was their policy which may change December 8th. It was only for about $200 redemption value.

https://www.usbank.com/customer-service/knowledge-base/KB0209712.html

As a long time customer I’m pretty annoyed and am considering other banks now. Anyone else had a similar experience. It seems like my only recourse is to mail the bonds in to the treasury.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mysteryberto posted:

US bank refused to cash two 30 year old EE Bonds to me today. They said it was their policy which may change December 8th. It was only for about $200 redemption value.

https://www.usbank.com/customer-service/knowledge-base/KB0209712.html

As a long time customer I’m pretty annoyed and am considering other banks now. Anyone else had a similar experience. It seems like my only recourse is to mail the bonds in to the treasury.

My local subreddit had a similar thread going about this just yesterday. I can tell you I cashed some EE bonds at a Chase branch a couple years back to add to a home downpayment fund. I was/am a customer of theirs and it was pretty routine. No clue if these places are local to you but I learned from the Reddit thread that Huntington and Citizens Bank will cash bonds for non-customers up to a limit of a couple thousand bucks.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Sirotan posted:

My local subreddit had a similar thread going about this just yesterday. I can tell you I cashed some EE bonds at a Chase branch a couple years back to add to a home downpayment fund. I was/am a customer of theirs and it was pretty routine. No clue if these places are local to you but I learned from the Reddit thread that Huntington and Citizens Bank will cash bonds for non-customers up to a limit of a couple thousand bucks.

Same experience with Chase as a customer - they were a little surprised at the request, but handled it pretty quickly and easily. After that, I mailed all my remaining bonds in, so I can take care of them through treasurydirect as they mature. Be warned that it will take maybe 6-8 weeks after mailing for the bonds to show up in your account.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
My dad got phished out of his bank account info. Do credit unions not have to have a 24/7 fraud line?? I can’t find one that doesn’t eventually end at “We are currently closed. Our hours are….” It’s Texans Credit Union if anyone’s google-fu is better than mine. He’s freaking out really badly and I’m away from home and only on mobile so my searching is slow…

TELL YOUR IDIOT FAMILY TO NEVER GIVE THE CODE THAT YOU ARE TEXTED TO SOMEONE OVER THE PHONE! And tell Google to put the “Do not ever give this code to anyone” as the first line of that text and then a couple line breaks before the code. Oy.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 7, 2022

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The number on the back of his debit card should be 24/7

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

THF13 posted:

The number on the back of his debit card should be 24/7
Their website also claims 24/7 contact for their credit card if he has one. Here's the cached website number listed for that, it's probably going straight to Visa though, no help if he gave out bank account info:

24/7 Support for Texans Credit Cards
Representatives are available 24/7 to provide assistance with your Texans Credit Card.

Visa Signature® Cash Rewards Card: 866.820.3892
Visa Rate Advantage Card: 866.820.3889

Lost or stolen card: 800.449.7728
If outside the USA: 727.299.2449

Edit: here's the number for a stolen debit card which might put a hold on the account: Lost or Stolen Card? - Debit Card 800.472.3272 This one seems like your best bet.

moana fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 7, 2022

Baddog
May 12, 2001

drat Bananas posted:

My dad got phished out of his bank account info. Do credit unions not have to have a 24/7 fraud line?? I can’t find one that doesn’t eventually end at “We are currently closed. Our hours are….” It’s Texans Credit Union if anyone’s google-fu is better than mine. He’s freaking out really badly and I’m away from home and only on mobile so my searching is slow…

TELL YOUR IDIOT FAMILY TO NEVER GIVE THE CODE THAT YOU ARE TEXTED TO SOMEONE OVER THE PHONE! And tell Google to put the “Do not ever give this code to anyone” as the first line of that text and then a couple line breaks before the code. Oy.

This says it's their fraud line

972.348.2000 or 800.843.5295

Sorry man, we should really be doing better protecting older folks from getting scammed.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Ally loving bank is telling me that I will be locked out of my account if I don't sign up for sim swap based login verification. I'm so mad.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Wtf is sim swap based verification?

I was planning to switch to them as my hub sometime in the future, but if they're becoming the kind of place that threatens an account lockout if you won't do things their way, then I might be heading back to the drawing board for that bank choice.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

H110Hawk posted:

Ally loving bank is telling me that I will be locked out of my account if I don't sign up for sim swap based login verification. I'm so mad.

I thought you could limit it to email only.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Unsinkabear posted:

Wtf is sim swap based verification?

I was planning to switch to them as my hub sometime in the future, but if they're becoming the kind of place that threatens an account lockout if you won't do things their way, then I might be heading back to the drawing board for that bank choice.

He is kind of making a joke about having to sign up to potentially get scammed. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_swap_scam

E: 2FA with your phone number is really insecure. Yet we all do it all the time...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spwrozek posted:

I thought you could limit it to email only.

Got that prompt a week ago in the app. Just got an email:

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Thank you all for your help! I was able to get some screenshots from him of what exactly was exchanged between him and the scammer, it was a Google Voice verification code only, twice, which he gave them. He assumed it affected his bank but as far as I can tell there wasn’t anything like that. The information they have is his FB profile (name), phone #, and those codes. I asked him if he even has a Google Voice number and he said no. But he does have a Google account. But he said he uses his yahoo address for everything like banking. I told him to change his Google password just in case and to keep a close eye on his email and all accounts. The last texts exchanged with the scammer was them pushing for another cell # to try (“to prove you are real”) so I am thinking they didn’t get what they needed from him. Hopefully we are in the clear.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

drat Bananas posted:

Thank you all for your help! I was able to get some screenshots from him of what exactly was exchanged between him and the scammer, it was a Google Voice verification code only, twice, which he gave them. He assumed it affected his bank but as far as I can tell there wasn’t anything like that. The information they have is his FB profile (name), phone #, and those codes. I asked him if he even has a Google Voice number and he said no. But he does have a Google account. But he said he uses his yahoo address for everything like banking. I told him to change his Google password just in case and to keep a close eye on his email and all accounts. The last texts exchanged with the scammer was them pushing for another cell # to try (“to prove you are real”) so I am thinking they didn’t get what they needed from him. Hopefully we are in the clear.

That Google voice verification code is still bad.

https://consumer.ftc.gov/consumer-alerts/2021/10/google-voice-scam-how-verification-code-scam-works-and-how-avoid-it

Please follow these steps.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Uughhhh. Thanks, I’ve forwarded it along.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

drat Bananas posted:

Make sure all his accounts are also enabled for multi factor authentication. Especially Google, Yahoo, and his bank accounts if possible.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

drat Bananas posted:

Good job. Remember to use positive reinforcement and encourage them to contact you any time anyone asks for anything. This was a success.

Ally confirms no totp/u2f and that email fraud is on the rise. I assume because most providers don't offer strong 2fa - especially the free ones. Frustrating because mine is totp protected. This might be the nudge I needed to move banks then.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ally has been battling with a massive amount of fraud/account compromise issues over the past couple of weeks (which I'm sure is what prompted that initial email about changing MFA methods). If you're at all on the fence I would probably recommend bailing for SoFi or another similar online bank with a good HYSA rate right now. Ally does not seem to have it's poo poo together.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

H110Hawk posted:

Good job. Remember to use positive reinforcement and encourage them to contact you any time anyone asks for anything. This was a success.

Yes, good point. When I heard panic rising in his voice as he was trying to explain why he took each step he did "because [he] thought that XYZ..." I tried to steer it back to information-gathering and results-oriented steps instead of any scolding. Once it all blows over we can have that cybersecurity talk.

I'm still uneasy because I don't quite understand the scam's angle. He doesn't have a Google Voice, so when he went to GV to "unlink" any suspicious numbers it just asks him to set one up. So like... what if the scammer is in their own Google Voice account but has linked it to his real phone number? What can they do with just that? (This is maybe past the point of this megathread, I can fuckoff somewhere else if desired, hah)

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I have what may be a very dumb question. I need to pull a few thousand out of my brokerage account to cover a large purchase. The money in that account is from a number of purchases over the past 10 years. How do I choose what lots to actually sell? Do I sell ones that gained money (and pay short term/long term capital gains) or do I sell ones that lost money and use the capital losses to cancel out some gains from earlier in the year?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

What's your current AGI and where do you fall on this chart: https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/taxes/capital-gains-tax-rates

It may be as simple as "I make less than the amount for 0% and have mostly long term gains, lock those gains in at zero taxes!" or "I am in the highest marginal tax bracket, mostly have short term stuff, and I care a lot about not paying more taxes this year, I want to use losses to pay less!" or somewhere in the middle. The most you will pay is 20% of long term gains, and probably you will be at 0 or 15%. Short term will be taxed at your normal income rate. Who knows whether it will be higher later on if you decide to postpone taking the gains?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hutzpah posted:

I have what may be a very dumb question. I need to pull a few thousand out of my brokerage account to cover a large purchase. The money in that account is from a number of purchases over the past 10 years. How do I choose what lots to actually sell? Do I sell ones that gained money (and pay short term/long term capital gains) or do I sell ones that lost money and use the capital losses to cancel out some gains from earlier in the year?

Almost always better to harvest those losses. Reduce your tax burden.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

drat Bananas posted:

I'm still uneasy because I don't quite understand the scam's angle. He doesn't have a Google Voice, so when he went to GV to "unlink" any suspicious numbers it just asks him to set one up. So like... what if the scammer is in their own Google Voice account but has linked it to his real phone number? What can they do with just that?

It gives them control of a phone number tied to your name, which they can use to either impersonate you to others or use for 2FA or such on your accounts they have other information for. It's the first step in a process, not the end result itself.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Baddog posted:

Almost always better to harvest those losses. Reduce your tax burden.
Hard disagree. It's not reducing tax, it's postponing it, and if you have the option to harvest gains at a 0% rate, it's a no-brainer to take the gains. Even at 15%, these are historically low cap gains rates, and I'm guessing we see a hike on those rates in the next couple decades. If you think your AGI will increase in the future or tax rates will increase, it makes a lot of sense to lock in a low 15% tax rate now.

This all depends on the person's agi and future predictions of their personal tax rate and the federal tax rate, of course. But I think it's wrong to say that taking losses is the default best option.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

moana posted:

Hard disagree. It's not reducing tax, it's postponing it, and if you have the option to harvest gains at a 0% rate, it's a no-brainer to take the gains. Even at 15%, these are historically low cap gains rates, and I'm guessing we see a hike on those rates in the next couple decades. If you think your AGI will increase in the future or tax rates will increase, it makes a lot of sense to lock in a low 15% tax rate now.

This all depends on the person's agi and future predictions of their personal tax rate and the federal tax rate, of course. But I think it's wrong to say that taking losses is the default best option.

Do you know of any good sites/calculators to help people make decisions in different scenarios about whether to take the tax hit now or later?

I whipped up some python a couple years ago ago about what type of additional percent gain (in 'timing the market') I'd need within a certain timeframe to offset tax hit on selling for gains, if I reinvested in the same thing at some time later. But it was a very simple script.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

moana posted:

What's your current AGI and where do you fall on this chart: https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/taxes/capital-gains-tax-rates

It may be as simple as "I make less than the amount for 0% and have mostly long term gains, lock those gains in at zero taxes!" or "I am in the highest marginal tax bracket, mostly have short term stuff, and I care a lot about not paying more taxes this year, I want to use losses to pay less!" or somewhere in the middle. The most you will pay is 20% of long term gains, and probably you will be at 0 or 15%. Short term will be taxed at your normal income rate. Who knows whether it will be higher later on if you decide to postpone taking the gains?

AGI puts me at the 15% rate on that table.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

moana posted:

Ok, at 0% bracket it's definitely true, thanks for pointing that out. Any rule against someone in that bracket with investments just resetting their basis every year?

I'm on vacation and not at a desktop to play with spreadsheets at all, but at 15%+ I believe the compounding opportunity cost of paying taxes "up front" is going to quickly overwhelm the possibility of taxes being higher in the future, even at fairly minimal annual return expectations. And also setting aside the fact that hopefully we're saving until retirement, when incomes will probably be low enough to be in the bottom or near bottom brackets. Or even saving until death to pass down to our kids.

And if we have 3k of net losses to take, can offset that against income. Although to be fair, I don't think the person here is talking about being able to take a net loss, just offsetting some gains.

It's a rule of thumb, but trying to always minimize your current tax burden works out pretty well for enough situations that I'm not sure it merits a "hard disagree" :)

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Baddog posted:

And also setting aside the fact that hopefully we're saving until retirement, when incomes will probably be low enough to be in the bottom or near bottom brackets. Or even saving until death to pass down to our kids.

If you're a big saver and relatively high income now, have you looked at how much your Required Minimum Distributions from your estimated future Traditional IRAs and 401k might be? That plus higher social security income, which can be taxable, might leave you in a much higher tax bracket than expected.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Baddog posted:

Ok, at 0% bracket it's definitely true, thanks for pointing that out. Any rule against someone in that bracket with investments just resetting their basis every year?

Remember this includes your agi, so if you make $100k you're paying 15% not 0%. But a common FIRE thing is to try to live inside the 0% ltcg rate if possible.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Is there any reason I should not use Synchrony as the HYSA that I shove my emergency savings into and then forget about?

They seem to update the rate regularly, I haven't heard any nightmare stories about their savings accounts (while I have seen a few negative data points about Ally and Marcus on the forums lately), and right now they're the top earner that isn't a sketchy no-name bank or something with complications and/or hoops to jump through each month.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Unsinkabear posted:

Is there any reason I should not use Synchrony as the HYSA that I shove my emergency savings into and then forget about?

They seem to update the rate regularly, I haven't heard any nightmare stories about their savings accounts (while I have seen a few negative data points about Ally and Marcus on the forums lately), and right now they're the top earner that isn't a sketchy no-name bank or something with complications and/or hoops to jump through each month.

If you're just dumping cash there and never needing to touch it, it's totally fine. I will just share that from my personal experience they have the shittiest web UI and customer service of any bank/credit provider I've ever had to deal with, but most of my ire with them stems from multiple incidents of identity theft where a scammer tried to open a line of credit in my name through Synchrony.

Depending on how much money is in your emergency savings, you may be able to beat the rate Synchrony has now if you go with a bank that has a lower rate but offers a bonus to open an account. Most require you set up direct deposit to qualify for the bonus but not all of them: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-bank-account-bonuses/