Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Organ Fiend posted:

Is the composition of the incoming house/ Senate less inclined to continue support for the war?

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lobotomy molo posted:

quit being such a grammar nazi

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

what the hell

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

only goes to show that the wily ivan has hidden the evidence exceptionally well

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I thought Russia was cut off from the treats economy??

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

tristeham posted:

what the hell

fly molo was warned

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
more weird vendetta bans ftw

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I don't think that's a real ban

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol

e;fb

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I think it's real. Anyway, what are your Halloween plans? Is Zelensky gonna take Crimea before winter?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

I think it's real. Anyway, what are your Halloween plans?

Hopefully still being alive.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

I don't think that's a real ban

FFS!!!!!!!!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
it was a real ban

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fly Molo banned themself to show that they could ban other users.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Economist has announced that Ukraine is 2022's country of the year. Let's leave aside the ideological commitments of the magazine, and instead focus on previous winners of this award.

2013 Uruguay
2014 Tunisia
2015 Myanmar
2016 Colombia
2017 France
2018 Armenia
2019 Uzbekistan
2020 Malawi
2021 Italy

A warning to all countries, winning this prize is like the kiss of loving death

i dont understand what the hell this is even supposed to mean person of the year is like ok the guy we wrote the most articles about i get it but what was happening in malawi in 2020 that everyone is supposed to remember

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

“There is no evidence at this point that Russia was behind the sabotage,” said one European official, echoing the assessment of 23 diplomatic and intelligence officials in nine countries interviewed in recent weeks.

OH WORD?????????????

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

this is how we know we live in a democracy all of our parties are united in wanting to fight good just wars

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if Russia didn’t do it ?? then ??

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

Russia didn't blow up the pipeline

in order to show that they could not-blow-up other pipelines

if they don't want to

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

Journalists in Sweden are no longer allowed to write stores that would harm public opinion of Swedish government. They passed that law at the same time investigations into the bombing by Sweden was gaining traction by their own journalists. So who knows could be anybody!

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Cool, fake bans and a declining content to posting ratio from my little pony 88.

Such a rich and rewarding thread.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can’t believe NATO engaged in terrorism

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Something interesting will happen wrt Zelensky.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Journalists in Sweden are no longer allowed to write stores that would harm public opinion of Swedish government. They passed that law at the same time investigations into the bombing by Sweden was gaining traction by their own journalists. So who knows could be anybody!

Do we have a good source for this?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nonsense posted:

Biden is going to sniff his hair.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Nonsense posted:

I hope he passes on.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Putin

https://twitter.com/AZgeopolitics/status/1605546099082608643

https://twitter.com/apluslimestone/status/1605568248174485508

Also Putin

https://twitter.com/vuthehung_1995/status/1605555017934442498

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
while Shoigu is out here saying “1.5 million man army in 2023, and half of those will volunteer for it!”

Ukraine doesn’t seem to like to talk about army size much or where it comes from…

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

genericnick posted:

Do we have a good source for this?

Just sources on the new law. Well also we know that sweden will not share the details of the investigation on the site which is in close proximity to their waters where nato were conducting operations at the time of the sabotage.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/sweden-wont-share-nord-stream-investigation-findings-with-russia-pm-2022-10-10/

So we will never know.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
mlmp do you have an opinion on the recent article highlighting lack of evidence pointing to Russia as having bombed nordstream

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Ukraine House are a disgrace to this university. Whenever a fire alarm is pulled, it’s Ukraine House. Whenever the campus liquor store is looted? Ukraine House. Whenever a human corpse is desecrated…

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

mlmp do you have an opinion on the recent article highlighting lack of evidence pointing to Russia as having bombed nordstream

Not really, beyond it not being that surprising. It's an exceedingly difficult "crime scene," to evaluate, given location of target and means to target such a target. Any one of the potential actors who could have and would have been bold enough to do this would be very careful to cover their tracks, and it's the kind of op you wouldn't just put out in a wide forum or on general reports for everyone in your own government to talk about on radios or Email and get caught. It remains a mystery as to what actor(s) did it. It's also why it hurts the credibility of the governments that immediately announced as fact that one country or the other did it (A Ukrainian official immediately announcing it was Russia, the former Polish politician thanking the USA, etc)

The article tl;dr is "Definitely deliberate. No evidence found to incriminate Russia. No evidence found to incriminate anyone else. No evidence found to exonerate anyone, either."

Here it is in full from behind the paywall, for those who haven't seen it. https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/12/21/russia-nord-stream-explosions/

Washington Post posted:

After explosions in late September severely damaged undersea pipelines built to carry natural gas from Russia to Europe, world leaders quickly blamed Moscow for a brazen and dangerous act of sabotage. With winter approaching, it appeared the Kremlin intended to strangle the flow of energy to millions across the continent, an act of “blackmail,” some leaders said, designed to threaten countries into withdrawing their financial and military support for Ukraine.

After explosions in late September severely damaged undersea pipelines built to carry natural gas from Russia to Europe, world leaders quickly blamed Moscow for a brazen and dangerous act of sabotage. With winter approaching, it appeared the Kremlin intended to strangle the flow of energy to millions across the continent, an act of “blackmail,” some leaders said, designed to threaten countries into withdrawing their financial and military support for Ukraine.

But now, after months of investigation, numerous officials privately say that Russia may not be to blame after all for the attack on the Nord Stream pipelines.

“There is no evidence at this point that Russia was behind the sabotage,” said one European official, echoing the assessment of 23 diplomatic and intelligence officials in nine countries interviewed in recent weeks.

Some went so far as to say they didn’t think Russia was responsible. Others who still consider Russia a prime suspect said positively attributing the attack — to any country — may be impossible.

In the months after the explosions, which resulted in what was probably one of the largest-ever single releases of methane gas, investigators have combed through debris and analyzed explosives residue recovered from the bed of the Baltic Sea. Seismologists have pinpointed the timing of three explosions on Sept. 26, which caused four leaks on the Nord Stream 1 and 2 pipelines.

No one doubts that the damage was deliberate. An official with the German government, which is conducting its own investigation, said explosives appear to have been placed on the outside of the structures.

But even those with inside knowledge of the forensic details don’t conclusively tie Russia to the attack, officials said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to share information about the progress of the investigation, some of which is based on classified intelligence.

“Forensics on an investigation like this are going to be exceedingly difficult,” said a senior U.S. State Department official.

The United States routinely intercepts the communications of Russian officials and military forces, a clandestine intelligence effort that helped accurately forecast Moscow’s February invasion of Ukraine. But so far, analysts have not heard or read statements from the Russian side taking credit or suggesting that they’re trying to cover up their involvement, officials said.

Attributing the attack has been challenging from the start. The first explosion occurred in the middle of the night to the southeast of the Danish island of Bornholm. Scientists detected two additional explosions more than 12 hours later to the northeast of the island.

Given the relatively shallow depth of the damaged pipelines — approximately 80 yards at the site of one explosion — a number of different actors could theoretically have pulled off the attack, possibly with the use of submersible drones or with the aid of surface ships, officials said. The list of suspects isn’t limited only to countries that possess manned submarines or deep-sea demolitions expertise.

The leaks occurred in the exclusive economic zones of Sweden and Denmark. European nations have been attempting to map which ships were in the region in the days before the explosions, in the hope of winnowing the field of suspects.

“We know that this amount of explosives has to be a state-level actor,” Finnish Foreign Minister Pekka Haavisto said in an interview this month. “It’s not just a single fisherman who decides to put the bomb there. It’s very professional.”

Regardless of the perpetrator, Haavisto said that for Finland, which isn’t a Nord Stream client, “The lesson learned is that it shows how vulnerable our energy network, our undersea cables, internet … are for all kinds of terrorists.”

Russia remains a key suspect, however, partly because of its recent history of bombing civilian infrastructure in Ukraine and propensity for unconventional warfare. It’s not such a leap to think that the Kremlin would attack Nord Stream, perhaps to undermine NATO resolve and peel off allies that depend on Russian energy sources, officials said.

But a handful of officials expressed regret that so many world leaders pointed the finger at Moscow without considering other countries, as well as extremist groups, that might have the capability and the motive to conduct the attack.

“The governments that waited to comment before drawing conclusions played this right,” said one European official.

Condemnation of Moscow was swift and widespread. On Sept. 30, four days after the explosions, U.S. Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm told the BBC it “seems” Russia was to blame. “It is highly unlikely that these incidents are coincidence,” she said.

German Economy Minister Robert Habeck also implied that Russia, which has consistently denied responsibility, was responsible for the explosions. “Russia saying ‘It wasn’t us’ is like saying ‘I’m not the thief,’” Habeck told reporters in early October.

An adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky called the ruptures “a terrorist attack planned by Russia and an act of aggression toward [the European Union].”

“No one on the European side of the ocean is thinking this is anything other than Russian sabotage,” a senior European environmental official told The Washington Post in September.

But as the investigation drags on, skeptics point out that Moscow had little to gain from damaging pipelines that fed Western Europe natural gas from Russia and generated billions of dollars in annual revenue. The Nord Stream projects had stirred controversy and debate for years because they yoked Germany and other European countries to Russian energy sources.

“The rationale that it was Russia [that attacked the pipelines] never made sense to me,” said one Western European official.

Nearly a month before the rupture, the Russian energy giant Gazprom stopped flows on Nord Stream 1, hours after the Group of Seven industrialized nations announced a forthcoming price cap on Russian oil, a move intended to put a dent in the Kremlin’s treasury. During Putin’s long stretch in office, the Kremlin has used energy as an instrument of political and economic leverage, employing the threat of cutoffs to bully countries into going along with its goals, officials said. It didn’t make sense that Russia would abandon that leverage.

Germany had halted final authorization of Nord Stream 2 just days before Russian forces invaded Ukraine. But the pipeline was intact and had already been pumped full with 300 million cubic meters of natural gas to ready it for operations.

European and U.S. officials who continue to believe that Russia is the most likely culprit say it had at least one plausible motive: Attacking Nord Stream 1 and 2, which weren’t generating any revenue to fill Russian coffers, demonstrated that pipelines, cables and other undersea infrastructure were vulnerable and that the countries that supported Ukraine risked paying a terrible price.

Haavisto noted that Finland has taken steps to strengthen infrastructure security since the explosions. Germany and Norway have asked NATO to coordinate efforts to protect critical infrastructure such as communication lines in the North Sea and gas infrastructure.

“But it’s at the same time true that we cannot control all the pipelines, all the cables, all the time, 24/7,” Haavisto said. “You have to be prepared. If something happens you have to think, where are the alternatives?”

The war prompted European countries to build up stockpiles of alternative energy, making them less dependent on Russian sources. But the Nord Stream attack has left many governments uneasy about the lengths to which Russia or other actors might go.

Swedish Foreign Minister Tobias Billstrom said his government was waiting for the country’s independent prosecutor’s office to complete its investigation into the explosions before reaching a conclusion. Sweden, along with Denmark, increased its naval patrols right after the attack.

“We have spoken about [the explosions] as part of the view that the security situation in the northern part of Europe has deteriorated following Russia’s aggression on Ukraine, with all the implications that it has,” Billstrom said in an interview this month.

The prospect that the explosions may never be definitively attributed is unsettling for nations like Norway, which has 9,000 kilometers (5,500 miles) of undersea gas pipelines to Europe.

A Norwegian official said Norway is attempting to strengthen security around its own pipelines and broader critical infrastructure. It is investing in surveillance; working with Britain, France and Germany to intensify naval patrols; and trying to find ways to keep oil and gas flowing in the event of another attack.

Norway is also investigating the appearance of unidentified aerial drones around its oil and gas facilities around the time of the Nord Stream attacks.

“It’s not a good thing,” the official said, of the possibility that the Nord Stream explosions may remain unsolved. “Whoever did it may get away with it.”

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I'm sure they'll find the culprits the next time they all meet together at the G7!!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Futanari Damacy posted:

I'm sure they'll find the culprits the next time they all meet together at the G7!!

"I'd like to propose a toast. Uh, Germany, you wanna wait outside for a moment?"

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Lmao

Is this real? Social fascism indeed.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the suggestion that russians are human is russian/orcish propaganda

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Deleted. What was it?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0ZPGVXOejE

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Lmao

Is this real?

Pretty sure the answer is that no, that is not real. Sweden passed a law making it a criminal offense, "in some situations*" for a journalist to take classified information from Sweden and supply that classified information to another country. The classified information must "directly harm Sweden's security."

*I don't know enough about the law to know what these "some situations are," and from the sound of journalism advocacy orgs, it might take a test in court to find out what those situations would or would not be.

The press are allowed to talk poo poo about the Swedish government all day every day. The crime would be obtaining and passing along classified information that harms Swedish national security without it being "justifiable," whatever that means.

https://www.thelocal.se/20221116/swedens-parliament-votes-through-controversial-espionage-law/

The controversial part is that the crime about providing classified information to other nations does not give a specific carve-out to the press. The below link gives some compelling reasons why the law is overly broad and could have unintended consequences on top of generally removing source protections for Swedish journalism.
https://europeanjournalists.org/blo...alists-sources/

EuropeanJournalists Dot Org posted:

Q: How does the new law threaten freedom of expression and freedom of the press in Sweden?
The new law is designed to prevent spies from giving information about Swedish international cooperation, for example, NATO, to a foreign power. The problem is that journalists and their sources are also affected by the law...

Q: Sweden’s Prime Minister stressed that the new law is “not about constraining the work of journalists”. Why do you think it might have an impact on their work?
It is true that there is an exception that applies in cases where it is “justifiable” to disclose information. The problem is that they also changed the law and removed the protection for sources that is in the constitution and which in Sweden is very strong. The politicians do not seem to be able to see that the little protection that the new law provides is not comparable to the strong protection that existed before.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mlmp08 posted:

Not really, beyond it not being that surprising. It's an exceedingly difficult "crime scene," to evaluate, given location of target and means to target such a target. Any one of the potential actors who could have and would have been bold enough to do this would be very careful to cover their tracks, and it's the kind of op you wouldn't just put out in a wide forum or on general reports for everyone in your own government to talk about on radios or Email and get caught. It remains a mystery as to what actor(s) did it. It's also why it hurts the credibility of the governments that immediately announced as fact that one country or the other did it (A Ukrainian official immediately announcing it was Russia, the former Polish politician thanking the USA, etc)

The article tl;dr is "Definitely deliberate. No evidence found to incriminate Russia. No evidence found to incriminate anyone else. No evidence found to exonerate anyone, either."

Here it is in full from behind the paywall, for those who haven't seen it. https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/12/21/russia-nord-stream-explosions/

who do you think it was then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

OhFunny posted:

Deleted. What was it?