Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Comrade Koba posted:

My otherwise murder-happy guard captain doesn't give a poo poo about outsiders committing crimes - I've had her convict two spies and multiple artifact thieves and they all get "No sentence pending" before they immediately leave the fortress. When I check their status window, their latest update is always how they're very happy they had their sentence reduced.
Have her replaced and then interrogated by the replacement. I would not be surprised if they were corrupted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Well I found a fun new trap to get half your dwarves killed!

I'm never making pit-style dumps ever again. I was doing a bit mass cleanup so there were dozens of dwarves pitching stones into the local dump. A random goose walked in and was instantly mashed to bits by the hail of diorite being dumped. A dwarf walked in to clean up the goose remains and was also killed. Before I could react to the poorly displayed warnings 10 dwarves were dead mangled in the dump as their friends continued to pile diorite and old clothing on top of them.

There's no reason to have a pit style dump other than it looking cool. From now on, only level floor dumps.

I had that too. Russian Dwarven roulette!

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I had someone die in my tavern, mysteriously drained of blood and 38 witnesses fingered a trader as the culprit. So I interrogated and convicted and my guard captain beat his rear end and put him in the hospital. When the vampire trader recovered he was free to go? His next victim was in the temple in front of 29 witnesses. Same thing, I convict him and the guard whips his rear end and he’s just set loose.

I had a dwarf get a solid month in a cage for starting a barfight but this nosferatu can just murder people in broad daylight with dozens of witnesses and all he gets is a literal slap?

Thread moves fast!

Dwarven sentencing comes in 2 forms.
Prison time drinking only water is the merciful punishment. Dwarves live a long time and if your prison is fancy enough they wont be upset about a few years in prison without booze. "Admired a gold chain (around my wrists) lately".

For serious offences there's hammer strikes. The Hammerer is basically an executioner. Being sentenced to a beating from a warhammer, delivered by a skilled Hammerer means getting your teeth yeeted through the back of your skull. At best the dwarf will be crippled for life.
Therefore it is wise to ensure that any criminals scheduled for beating are fitted with a metal helm as quickly as possible (if you want them to live). Even without headstrikes, beatings can easily result in broken bones or organ damage, making prison sentences a less risky option.

If a vampire is caught feeding on another dwarf, even if the victim survives, it is still considered a murder. The vampire will typically make a false report, to try to frame another dwarf. Witnesses will also sometimes make false reports to try and frame dwarves they have grudges against.

Your vampire is a near indestructible undead monster that only looks like a dwarf. He can take a beating (especially from an unskilled hammerer that uses fists.) He laughs it off and goes to murder again, in full view of witnesses. What are you gonna do? Beat him some more?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Did they get rid of the ability of dwarves attached to a chain to freely eat and drink and use furniture in the 8 squares around the chain?

(you'll still get a bad thought about the lack of a drinking vessel unless you're really invested in micromanagement but booze and cooked food and a bed and a table and a chair go a long way toward not emotionally destroying your dwarves in prison)

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Pickled Tink posted:

Have her replaced and then interrogated by the replacement. I would not be surprised if they were corrupted.

Tried that and she didn't confess to anything but at least she immediately got chucked in a cage for violating a production order somehow.

The replacement isn't ideal, but at least she properly jails outsiders who commit crimes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RBA-Wintrow posted:

For serious offences there's hammer strikes. The Hammerer is basically an executioner. Being sentenced to a beating from a warhammer, delivered by a skilled Hammerer means getting your teeth yeeted through the back of your skull. At best the dwarf will be crippled for life.
Therefore it is wise to ensure that any criminals scheduled for beating are fitted with a metal helm as quickly as possible (if you want them to live). Even without headstrikes, beatings can easily result in broken bones or organ damage, making prison sentences a less risky option.

AT least in the past you could give your hammerer light weight weapons -- I believe a featherwood hammer was ideal if possible -- and that would significantly lessen the danger.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I just breached into the cavern layer, which both has magnetite (yay) and is flooded (boo). This site isn't an aquifer so is it possible for me to drain the caverns of water using a really tall screw pump stack into the surface river?

EDIT: Also do you guys run exploratory tunnels from your mineshafts? I'd like to have some metal equipment before embarking on this potentially disastrous campaign to acquire iron.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 21, 2022

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

I just breached into the cavern layer, which both has magnetite (yay) and is flooded (boo). This site isn't an aquifer so is it possible for me to drain the caverns of water using a really tall screw pump stack into the surface river?

EDIT: Also do you guys run exploratory tunnels from your mineshafts? I'd like to have some metal equipment before embarking on this potentially disastrous campaign to acquire iron.

You can also drain it off the side of the map by smoothing the stone at the edge and carving fortifications into it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Weembles posted:

You can also drain it off the side of the map by smoothing the stone at the edge and carving fortifications into it.

Oh poo poo that'll do the trick. Thank you!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Uh, I think honeybees count toward food for some reason.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Weembles posted:

Remember you also don't need to drain a lake completely. If it's all level 2 and 3 your dwarves can still wade through, and might get happy thoughts about getting a bath too, even.

Beware that any cavern lakes that naturally extend to the edge of the map will count as a water source, and fill back up from that place.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Good cat.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
For performance reasons, I've been embarking on smaller sites. A major drawback to running a micro-fort is that by the time enemies arrive they're already at your doorstep. A giant showed up and kicked all my livestock to pieces before I could scramble a response :argh:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
How long will things live in a cage? I want to set up a goblin POW camp and use cages of goblins to decorate my tavern.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Porkness posted:

For performance reasons, I've been embarking on smaller sites. A major drawback to running a micro-fort is that by the time enemies arrive they're already at your doorstep. A giant showed up and kicked all my livestock to pieces before I could scramble a response :argh:

this is why you've gotta dig down to the caverns asap on a microfort and get a nice layer of fungus on a soil layer for your grazers. they don't deserve the indignity of living outside

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Second fort. Digging down on a micro, Woops! All Aquifers!

Would like to find the cavern layer since its all rock so far.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

skooma512 posted:

What's everyone's favorite random gen name lately?

I lost a hammer called Flaxenpaints, the Pass of Seasons, which is like drat. It was stored in a hallway on the floor and they took it. I randomly interrogated the right goblin and unraveled the whole scheme. I was so eager to get an interrogation that I didn't uh, contain the goblin bards, and they just left. I got the farmer who helped them though, he got 29 days. The hammer is still lost, and violation of production order was 90 days for some other guy.

There's a guy leading a brewing demonstration in the brewing hall who's legendary speaker and poet, called Kadol, the Slippery Confederacy of Letters.

It’s almost assuredly not randomly generated, but someone upthread had a group named [something] of the Big Big Beer Brains :lmao:

Demnos
Aug 30, 2022

skooma512 posted:

What's everyone's favorite random gen name lately?

Made a squad yesterday and its random name came out as The Axes of Taxes. Nothing too special, but it rhymes and decided what weapon type they were going to use for me.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

My adamantine is infested with pockets of water and magma, is this the new normal? Because it kinda sucks!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone got some tips for luring out those aquatic cavern invaders that just hang out in nearby lakes? Don't want to station my militia close by, because they'll just charge over to the edge, get dragged in and drown.

GruntyThrst posted:

My adamantine is infested with pockets of water and magma, is this the new normal? Because it kinda sucks!

Yep, gotta be careful while digging through them. I recommend excavating out an area above the pillar itself, and dig downwards with liberal use of staircarving.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 21, 2022

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Do elf traders not accept wool or dairy items?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

The Moon Monster posted:

Do elf traders not accept wool or dairy items?

Elves are militant vegans. While that is fine they are also assholes

They accept magma, water, ballista bolts , or gravity just fine.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Started a new fortress and so far I've dug down 14 levels without finding any floor I can grow on.
Most floors I haven't explored much beyond the stairwell, I just skipped another level down if I didn't immediately find loam next to it.

Is it best to expand out on these floors, channel the surface brook that's on the other corner of the map, or keep digging greedily and deep?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Do I get notifications or anything when a Dwarf dies? I've got a ghost in my fort and I don't know who it is or how he died or where the body even is. One of my dwarves has a bad thought about seeing a friend decay so they must have found the body but I have no idea where I would look to get that info.

I assume the game would pause or something to show me when that happens but I don't even see a passive log on the left side about a dead body.

hardycore
Nov 4, 2009
I'm worried about performance. I'm building a Great Library on a 5x5 embark, so lots (thousands) of constructed materials. My CPU was good in 2016 but it's obviously old now.

What are the most effective things I can do to limit FPS death? It's going fine so far but the large embark was a poor choice (I wanted two biomes) and I've barely begun my planned projects.

I'm already cancelling the planned water moat and I probably will not open the caverns except to spawn fungus. Population limit? Atom smasher? Any tricks that work particularly well for DF Steam?

This is Lighttower, under construction at the edge of the desert. 5 z-level tall Library in the center and printworks to the side. Future plans include a medical school, amphitheatre, and zoo.
Above ground megas go surprisingly quick once you get ~40 dwarves and some good blockmakers, and quarry the stone as close to the project as feasible.

And the sloped roof, with glass tiles for natural reading light:

Can't wait for a 3D viewer to become available for this version.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Do I get notifications or anything when a Dwarf dies? I've got a ghost in my fort and I don't know who it is or how he died or where the body even is. One of my dwarves has a bad thought about seeing a friend decay so they must have found the body but I have no idea where I would look to get that info.

I assume the game would pause or something to show me when that happens but I don't even see a passive log on the left side about a dead body.
it gives you a notification bug on the left but if you had other casualties on map it might have gotten lost

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Am I wasting a load of my guys time by having them smooth the floor of store rooms and places where workshops are gonna go anyway? I know they like smooth floors but (apart from giving them experience in ... floor smoothing?) is there any reason to do it (beyond aesthetics?)

e; how about smoothing floors if I'm gonna lay a floor over them anyway? I assume that's a total waste of time, right?

Pipski fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 21, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

DarkAvenger211 posted:

You should get an Alert that will pause the game whenever a citizen is found dead. However you can get ghosts from non-citizens too.

If you go to the Creatures -> Citizen (u) menu - there is a tab for Missing/Dead that will give you an exhaustive list. To get rid of the ghost, make rock slabs at a stoneworkers workshop, then at the same workshop engrave a memorial into the slab for that ghost, and build it somewhere.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

poemdexter posted:

How long will things live in a cage? I want to set up a goblin POW camp and use cages of goblins to decorate my tavern.

Forever? I've had goblins in cages for years hanging out in the Tavern.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Another question: how do I see active petitions?
I agreed to build a temple of some kind but forget who the god was

Demnos
Aug 30, 2022
Just an FYI, but workshops no longer seem to have tiles that block movement. I recently had several instances of things coming out from under the supposed blocked tiles of my magma foundry which I never had happen in the pre-steam version.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

poemdexter posted:

I think grazers will die eventually, goblins should live forever.

Demnos posted:

Just an FYI, but workshops no longer seem to have tiles that block movement. I recently had several instances of things coming out from under the supposed blocked tiles of my magma foundry which I never had happen in the pre-steam version.

Were they vermin sized things? Those can just spawn in lava adjacent layers even if there's no passage, I think. Not to say you're wrong, I don't know what the workshop blocking situation is in the steam version.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

bitterandtwisted posted:

Another question: how do I see active petitions?
I agreed to build a temple of some kind but forget who the god was

I don't think there's a way to see it directly atm, but if you set up a temple, try going through all the yellow named ones, and inspect them to see if there's a "Promised grand complex" or something in their description, that's the one you want.
For guild halls, it's always a guild with more than 10 members that don't currently have a hall, so it's a bit easier for those.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

M_Gargantua posted:

You should get an Alert that will pause the game whenever a citizen is found dead. However you can get ghosts from non-citizens too.

If you go to the Creatures -> Citizen (u) menu - there is a tab for Missing/Dead that will give you an exhaustive list. To get rid of the ghost, make rock slabs at a stoneworkers workshop, then at the same workshop engrave a memorial into the slab for that ghost, and build it somewhere.

Well that's the strange thing. I've got a dwarf with a bad thought about a decaying friend so they must have seen the body. But I got no notification or pause event.

My population just went up by 1 and I've also got no notification that anyone gave birth or any migrants showed up. Is there stuff I'm suppose to be seeing in alerts that I'm just not?

Looking at the creature tab I can see a small merchant group is just standing at the edge of the map. I also got no notification they arrived. For some reason they're not coming to my very accessible trade depot (that was already used once before).

Something just seems wrong with the game right now

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 21, 2022

Demnos
Aug 30, 2022

The Moon Monster posted:

Were they vermin sized things? Those can just spawn in lava adjacent layers even if there's no passage, I think. Not to say you're wrong, I don't know what the workshop blocking situation is in the steam version.

It's been a couple magma crabs and, most recently, a forgotten beast that chased all my smiths through their workshops into the lava where they promptly drowned (temperature off) while it just strolled back right through the workshops and invaded the remainder of my fort.

Edit: Not a forgotten beast, it was a demon released while mining where I probably shouldn't have.

Demnos fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 21, 2022

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

hardycore posted:

I'm worried about performance. I'm building a Great Library on a 5x5 embark, so lots (thousands) of constructed materials. My CPU was good in 2016 but it's obviously old now.

Materials that are used in construction generally don't have a huge impact on performance, if any, because nothing can happen to them unless they catch fire or get bathed in lava. In the case of walls, I'm not sure if even that can happen.

By far the biggest performance hit comes from temperature, with fluid movement being the second factor. Pathfinding, from what I've seen, is only really a problem in special cases nowadays.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there any benefit to beekeeping other than the novelty? Tried it out for the first time since my new starting location had a bunch of honeybee colonies close by, but it seems to be a lot of waiting for very little payoff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Broken Cog posted:

Is there any benefit to beekeeping other than the novelty? Tried it out for the first time since my new starting location had a bunch of honeybee colonies close by, but it seems to be a lot of waiting for very little payoff.

I read somewhere about someone who'd set up beekeeping in his hospital just to keep his doctor constantly treating minor wounds for skillups.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Does that mean a region with a fairly static climate (the desert, or the arctic) will have a lower FPS hit?

I'm already hosed with the water situation -- my mining has an underground lake slowly flooding the third cavern layer, so it's all wet down here. 💧

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

You can make mead from beehives which is nice to have if you want to use farms for something other than plump helmets early on.