Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Every enemy has an innate attack and defense stat. In order to win, you need to beat both scores (have higher def than their attack and higher attack than their def).

How the RPS system works is that if you have any troops in your army weak to the enemy's unit, that enemy deals double damage. Let's say, for instance, the enemy has 50% Rider troops and 50% Tank troops, each one dealing 100 damage for a total of 200 attack. If you include a single archer in your loadout, that rider damage doubles to 200, for a total of 300 attack. Same deal would go for the Tank troops if you include a single Knight unit.

And yes, you have to beat both their attack and defense scores to win, exceeding one by orders of magnitude doesn't matter if you can't beat the other. That's why gaming the janky combat system is so important, you don't get a lot of good defensive units so including a single unit the enemy is strong against can often be the tipping point between success and failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

quote:

Was wrong about Theresmore combat!

Well poo poo. I sat there with an old cheat sheet open and tried to relay what it told me.

Thanks for the corrections!

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Post poste posted:

Is there a link to an updated battle calc? might as well annihilate more enemies forever :3

Here is the latest Battle Calculator (the one in the Discord pins has some errors and is out of date):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NKYimfzwCR9lSC6-wUxI5fbPcIDFlzORB-nbwt6ocDo/edit#gid=1076167362

Includes the new units and the man at arms nerfs.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
the other thing too is that once you get a couple bonuses in them, shock and rider both will provide more defense than tanks. there is very rarely a reason to use tanks

ranged can work as fill for riderless enemy comps in the rare occasion where you're fighting tank+shock combos like anything with trolls in it. either way pure shock and pure rider formations are generally the way to go ime

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Monks are dirt cheap and against non-Shock enemies can soak hits for your actually costly units, that's a pretty good reason.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
also, sometimes the enemy unit types can be deceptive. Like, they might have ranged units, but it's actually a single "leader" unit who isn't providing enough attack power that you need to give a poo poo if it's doubled. So it's even more fiddly and tedious to judge what you need! Yay!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
yeah it's worth checking on the spreadsheet, just add 1 of a class to see if it spikes the numbers too high. my objection to tanks specifically is that shock components are almost always a significant part of the attack, so doubling with tanks will add thousands of attack sometimes

as for monks, they're cheap but monks they come at the opportunity cost of sharing purchase currency with battle angels, so I'm not hiring the bmx bandit

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Anyone still playing Ethereal Farm? I was cleaning up some discords and popped into the announcements to check in on it before leaving and see it's pretty drat active development still. Wondering if it did anything interesting. It was getting very same-same with the ethereal crops (looks like they have some more layers passed that now based on discord channel names)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is anybody else just... not finding pets in FAPI? I found three within a day or two of the feature dropping, bought the soul shop upgrade to increase pet drop rate, and I haven't seen another one since despite my character spending the vast majority of the time since then grinding in zones high enough to drop pets. Am I just being spectacularly unlucky?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Pope Guilty posted:

Is anybody else just... not finding pets in FAPI? I found three within a day or two of the feature dropping, bought the soul shop upgrade to increase pet drop rate, and I haven't seen another one since despite my character spending the vast majority of the time since then grinding in zones high enough to drop pets. Am I just being spectacularly unlucky?

Did you already get the pet from the zone you're grinding? Each zone (4-1, 4-2, 4-3, etc) has a single pet to find with a pity timer that will just give you the pet after X kills

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

I have had multiple pets that didn’t drop until I got to the maximum allowed kills. So it is a total random crapshoot. As you ascend, the drop chance increases, and the maximum kill number drops.

For reference, I am currently farming 4-7, and at something like 4 million of 5 million max kills.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

pixaal posted:

Anyone still playing Ethereal Farm? I was cleaning up some discords and popped into the announcements to check in on it before leaving and see it's pretty drat active development still. Wondering if it did anything interesting. It was getting very same-same with the ethereal crops (looks like they have some more layers passed that now based on discord channel names)

I was super into this game but it required so much active upkeep that I eventually dropped it. If there was some automation QOL that came out since then I’d be interested in dipping back in.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Klungar posted:

I was super into this game but it required so much active upkeep that I eventually dropped it. If there was some automation QOL that came out since then I’d be interested in dipping back in.

That sounds like why I dropped it too I couldn't exactly remember why I fell out. If no one responds with recent experience, I can start a new game and report back the problem is I remember the first few weeks of gameplay feeling really well tuned.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Lone Goat posted:

Did you already get the pet from the zone you're grinding? Each zone (4-1, 4-2, 4-3, etc) has a single pet to find with a pity timer that will just give you the pet after X kills

I've not been targeting anything, just letting the game grind whatever the current highest zone I can access is. I've got the 3-1, 3-2, and 3-5 pets, and that's it, so it's not like I've been sitting around in zones I already have the pets for.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I went and just idled in zones where I didn’t get the drop in area 3. Wasn’t ideal, but now I have everything through 4-4. 4-5 and 4-6 are my normal highest medium zone, so that works out okay for me right now.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

pixaal posted:

That sounds like why I dropped it too I couldn't exactly remember why I fell out. If no one responds with recent experience, I can start a new game and report back the problem is I remember the first few weeks of gameplay feeling really well tuned.

Seasons required precise optimal setups and you could miss out on prestige currency by not using the right build in the right season. And each season was a day or two long so it was easy to gently caress up and be stuck for another 4 days. That's my recollection.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Been playing Evolve after getting bored of Theresmore. Are there some scripts or something that can automate some of this? I like the concept but manually doing 50 MAD runs or whatever will probably burn me out.

I've done several MAD runs and working on my 2nd Bioseed run currently.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

dipwood posted:

Been playing Evolve after getting bored of Theresmore. Are there some scripts or something that can automate some of this? I like the concept but manually doing 50 MAD runs or whatever will probably burn me out.

I've done several MAD runs and working on my 2nd Bioseed run currently.

Yep! As you're still early it'll require a bunch of tweaking but that's half the fun. There's enough options that can automate almost everything and with custom triggers you can refine it to run near flawlessly.

Here you go.
Make sure Debug Mode, and Preload Tab Content are toggled on in settings.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Can you explain how to use this?

Edit: Tampermonkey, got it.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 28, 2022

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Would also highly recommend the console commands/edits for ramping the speed way up that someone posted 50 pages ago

e; Bless you functional forums search

Garfu posted:

code:
(for chrome)
1. Load the page
2. Locate evolve.js in the devconsole
3. Place a breakpoint at line 4: switch (data.loop) {
4. Reload the page
5. Hover over 'data' and change 'period:' to 25 (lowest I found that still works and doesn't lockup the game after a while)
6. Click resume script execution, or press F8
7. Repeat step 5 and 6 two more times for each type of loop (main, which handles the evolution stage, mid, which handles mostly everything else, and long, which handles the day cycles and some other stuff)

You'll have to repeat this every time you prestige. Or make a tampermonkey/greasemonkey script to do it for you.

Some tips for optimizing:
-Set the short speed as low as 20 up through Bioseeding for maximum speed e.g. 20/1000/5000
-Set the long speed as low as 100 for maximum soul gem farming e.g. 250/1000/100
-Set the mid speed as low as 50 for mech grinding e.g. - 250/50/5000
-Messing with all of the speeds at once will make the game chug anywhere past the early game, so setting the above speeds when you need to will maximize your output

Basically you don't need to mess with the different loops outside of the one you're currently utilizing most. Short for resource farming. Mid for mechs and spying. Long for day cycle, so pretty much just soul gems.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 28, 2022

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Slickdrac posted:

Would also highly recommend the console commands/edits for ramping the speed way up that someone posted 50 pages ago

e; Bless you functional forums search

Once you get the appropriate automation in place, I enjoy that it's slower-paced and only requires periodic check-ins. I've been running the orbital decay challenge for like 2 or 3 weeks now and it's almost done.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Just reporting back that I'm still enjoying FE000000 as something to run in the background, and the built-in guide is helpful, but it still remains sort of mysterious to me sometimes. The Oracle feature just plain doesn't work, regardless of parameters or Powers it always spits back the same result suggesting that no matter what I do I'll only ever be able to get slightly fewer complexity points than I already have the ability to complexity for at that moment. The guide itself also seems to pre-date some game features and possibly some math tweaks and seems to be a little bit less accurate the further in I've gotten, but that's also possibly skewed by me doing things weirdly.

All that said, it's pretty good and is nice as a toy to peek at every now and then while doing other things, even if I really don't understand the full implications of what I'm doing half the time. The couple of times I've genuinely felt like I hit a wall, the in-game guide helped me through in spite of the occasional weirdness.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I don't think I ever used the Oracle except maybe once to try it out. And yeah during your first finality, the guide doesn't help much for power setup. All the presets and breakpoints for them seem to only really work from the second finality onwards.
Power efficiency is based on luck anyway, so you basically just gotta wait until you get a great rarity and that allows you to push further

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The oracle should be more accurate if you turn up the number of ticks it uses.

I didn’t love powers either, though. At least it picks up a bit more once you unlock galaxies.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Just reporting back that I'm still enjoying FE000000 as something to run in the background, and the built-in guide is helpful, but it still remains sort of mysterious to me sometimes. The Oracle feature just plain doesn't work, regardless of parameters or Powers it always spits back the same result suggesting that no matter what I do I'll only ever be able to get slightly fewer complexity points than I already have the ability to complexity for at that moment. The guide itself also seems to pre-date some game features and possibly some math tweaks and seems to be a little bit less accurate the further in I've gotten, but that's also possibly skewed by me doing things weirdly.

All that said, it's pretty good and is nice as a toy to peek at every now and then while doing other things, even if I really don't understand the full implications of what I'm doing half the time. The couple of times I've genuinely felt like I hit a wall, the in-game guide helped me through in spite of the occasional weirdness.

the oracle takes into account if you have auto complexity/finality turned on so it might be looking all the way into your next run

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
What's funny is that I think I got lucky with my starting Powers spread. I still don't always fully understand what's happening with them, but progress felt decent and it didn't take long for the galaxy unlock, where I've mostly got the game set up for idle progress for now since all I should need to do at this stage is occasionally swap powers out.

My reading comprehension feels like it's gone to poo poo recently, because I really couldn't figure out what the guide was suggesting I do for most of the powers section beyond 'use NIC until galaxies and then NIE works if you set longer complexities', which I did and it works fine. Just paragraphs and paragraphs of advice that I mostly didn't absorb, which worried me, but so far the outcome has been fine so shrug

dipple posted:

the oracle takes into account if you have auto complexity/finality turned on so it might be looking all the way into your next run

This makes perfect sense and is probably part of the confusion, but I don't know why it would then perpetually say I hadn't gained any total numbers at all even for shorter predictions when demonstrably every couple of minutes I was. Ah well. Ultimately not that important, it seems.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The guide mentions this too, but remember that iirc you unlock more galaxies based on the maximum number of complexity stars you’ve had, among other things. So you can push galaxies by doing a quick complexity with CCC to maximize that number. That complexity would suck at everything else of course but it takes 5 seconds so it’s worth doing.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

SJM's quick-and-dirty-and-taken-with-a-grain-of-salt guide to powers in FE000000.

- Normal powers have no multiplier but also have no penalties to worry about, so they are immediately useful at the moment you unlock powers but don't scale at all.

- Infinity powers ramp up based on your infinity stars, which means they get better as your CP generation gets better, simple and straightforward. They overtake normal generators in usefulness fairly quickly, about when the multiplier inches over 1x

-Eternity powers are probably the hardest to grasp, as they ramp up to 3x over time based on your complexity stars. They are much more powerful than the previous powers, but only if given enough time for the multiplier to get into the 2xish range, and that takes forever early in the Finality. The game tells you precisely how many seconds it'll take to reach 3x, but it reaches 2x much faster than that. Generally if the 3x timer is around 1-2 hours rather than 8-12 hours then you're probably good to throw your best E power in a slot and let it ride for 15-30 minutes for much better yields. I forget at what CP threshold this is but it's easy enough to figure out.

-Complexity powers ramp up based on how good your equipped powers are. In practice this means they suck early on but get more powerful and, more importantly, powerful much sooner the more finalities you do.

- Stacking the same powers together is additive, not multiplicative, so it's generally not worth it except for early on when Normal powers are the only ones that do anything. My usual transition per finality was NNN to NNI to NIE to IEC, progressively phasing out the Ns to only run IEC as the remaining powers get better sooner as finalities build.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
powers/finalities is about the point in FE000000 that I gave up. so close (?) to the finish line, but I wasn't feeling any satisfaction from all the fiddling

edit for actual content: Advent Incremental is a cute xmas-themed and FINISHABLE game. Mostly standard stuff but goes to a few funky places along the way. Maybe worth keeping in the ol' bookmark bin for next year by which time it will prolly have a couple more QoL upgrades.

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 3, 2023

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sivart13 posted:

powers/finalities is about the point in FE000000 that I gave up. so close (?) to the finish line, but I wasn't feeling any satisfaction from all the fiddling

edit for actual content: Advent Incremental is a cute xmas-themed and FINISHABLE game. Mostly standard stuff but goes to a few funky places along the way. Maybe worth keeping in the ol' bookmark bin for next year by which time it will prolly have a couple more QoL upgrades.

Or just turn on the setting to ignore days and months and play it now

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Thinking of cobbling something together, heavily inspired by Theory of Magic/Arcanum/1st Alkahistorian

Should I go ahead and try to learn JS, or will PyScript work ok? Python is more within my comfort zone. Or should I use something else entirely?

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this kind of question

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Or should I use something else entirely?

It depends on what you know, what you're willing to learn, and what you want to end up with.
The gamedev thread is probably a good place to ask. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506853

I'd say that going for an engine like Godot would be far better than trying to make something in Javascript/etc.
Easier to develop for other platforms, with the ability to play it in-browser, with all the benefits of an actual engine to make whatever it is you want.
(Other platforms as in you can spit out pc/desktop builds easily in addition to a browser/html5 oriented thing.)

Godot is nice and popular nowadays, though like all engines it's a lot of work to get into and make stuff in.
But you get so much out of working with an engine instead of needing to implement most of the stuff yourself, manually.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Sivart13 posted:

This rules.

MattDarling
Apr 25, 2017
Your Chronicle released an update dramatically improving automation and offline features. I had been running it in the background for ages because it was way more efficient than offline, but now I don't feel like I'm losing much by shutting it down. Plus I'm running out of stuff to grind after a year, but it's been a good year with the game :)

The offline improvement is basically that it's better about simulating your automation actions. And the automation feature, aka sloth, now works with a queue of 10+ arbitrary actions instead of the old approach of limiting the automated actions to your 3-4 shortcut entries. It also now separates battle, looping, and instant actions which is much closer to what a player can do manually.

It's now possible to fully automate complex crafting items (steel, goddess statues, etc) without any gem store purchases or issues with storage caps. So it's a really great update, in spite of the very understated update announcement.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Agreed, YC is great and the new automation improvement is super helpful. I've made a few edits to the code (larger passive party size, longer formation duration, longer shop boost times, a bunch of others) to make it a little more 'fun' to play actively as well. Def one of my top incrementals

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

SubNat posted:

It depends on what you know, what you're willing to learn, and what you want to end up with.
The gamedev thread is probably a good place to ask. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506853

I'd say that going for an engine like Godot would be far better than trying to make something in Javascript/etc.
Easier to develop for other platforms, with the ability to play it in-browser, with all the benefits of an actual engine to make whatever it is you want.
(Other platforms as in you can spit out pc/desktop builds easily in addition to a browser/html5 oriented thing.)

Godot is nice and popular nowadays, though like all engines it's a lot of work to get into and make stuff in.
But you get so much out of working with an engine instead of needing to implement most of the stuff yourself, manually.

This is fairly good advice, but the loop on editing/testing browser-based stuff involving piles of UI widgets is so fast that it might be good to start with a JS/HTML5 mockup and then go from there. It's quite a lot easier than writing a bunch of your own UI code.

UI is a heavy task for most game devs and idle games have some of the most of it. Choosing a platform where UI is the thing it does out of the box and then adding something like a bignum library can take you quite a long way. The mockups can be done quickly, wired quickly, and you get a lot of flexibility.

If you don't want to deal with specific browser hacks for layout compatibility then you can always choose to wrap it in something like Electron for shipping while also getting a bonus that you can launch a browser-based alpha easily. This is the strategy Increlution used to great success.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

ErIog posted:

This is fairly good advice, but the loop on editing/testing browser-based stuff involving piles of UI widgets is so fast that it might be good to start with a JS/HTML5 mockup and then go from there. It's quite a lot easier than writing a bunch of your own UI code.

UI is a heavy task for most game devs and idle games have some of the most of it. Choosing a platform where UI is the thing it does out of the box and then adding something like a bignum library can take you quite a long way. The mockups can be done quickly, wired quickly, and you get a lot of flexibility.

If you don't want to deal with specific browser hacks for layout compatibility then you can always choose to wrap it in something like Electron for shipping while also getting a bonus that you can launch a browser-based alpha easily. This is the strategy Increlution used to great success.

The flip side of that is that JS is a garbage nightmare language.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Falcon2001 posted:

The flip side of that is that JS is a garbage nightmare language.

It's not great, but TypeScript fixes a lot of things and it works quite a lot better if you don't use React or other behemoth things that actively undermine what TypeScript fixes.

It's not my preferred language by any stretch, but I've done some public-facing web projects from scratch professionally and it was fine. The trick is just using TypeScript and not piling dependencies for no reason.

Godot is Better (TM), but I think you're just trading between different kinds of headaches. At least with the JS route you can avoid shooting yourself in the foot fairly easily while also taking advantage of the benefits I mentioned.

It just depends on which headaches an individual person finds preferable to deal with. So I wanted to describe another possible route that people might be interested in.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Nah, you're 100% correct, I was just being snippy. Every time I try and touch Javascript I start bleeding out of my nose, and I found learning it to be pretty frustrating, but TypeScript does fix a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

hello friends i have been playing evolve idle and i feel like im stuck at the space age.

i'm some fungus guys (molding) and im at the point where i have like 140k knowledge and the rest of the techs are at like 160 or require a ludicrous amount of materials. idk if i am missing something or if i just need to spend 4 days waiting to make some gps satellites