Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Murdstone posted:

The stack. It’s part of the framework. You gotta have a nice lean stack. That’s what you aim for if you know what you’re talking about, as I clearly do.

Ah, so it's pure coding to the metal, setting the rails for the distributed architecture that all the micro services use to wall in the framework that the suite pulls from to average frequency mappings to deliver bit-level encoding quality to users while shunting above average latency ratings.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I’m honestly blown away by that clip. That’s like a “strong no hire” answer for a software engineering intern, let alone a genius that wants to run the engineering team

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

waffle iron posted:

You're mixing up 5G millimeter wave with the broader 5G standard. 5G baseband is an evolution of 4G baseband that more efficiently uses the existing spectrum and channels. It's very much like the evolution of wifi between major standards versions.

Yes and no. Some of it does offer equivalent ranges, but thats SOME of it, 5G has resulted in the need for a lot more cell sites to provide the same coverage versus 4G.

quote:

5G in the 24 GHz range or above use higher frequencies than 4G, and as a result, some 5G signals are not capable of traveling large distances (over a few hundred meters), unlike 4G or lower frequency 5G signals (sub 6 GHz). This requires placing 5G base stations every few hundred meters in order to use higher frequency bands. Also, these higher frequency 5G signals cannot penetrate solid objects easily, such as cars, trees, walls, and even humans, because of the nature of these higher frequency electromagnetic waves. 5G cells can be deliberately designed to be as inconspicuous as possible, which finds applications in places like restaurants and shopping malls.[66]
Small cells are low-powered cellular radio access nodes that operate in licensed and unlicensed spectrum that have a range of 10 meters to a few kilometers. Small cells are critical to 5G networks, as 5G's radio waves can't travel long distances, because of 5G's higher frequencies.

It does provide distinct advantages, such as ability to support more users and provide more throughput, but it has significantly worse range than 4G for most of its bands.

5G is great, but it requires a lot more antenna's especially for their MIMO setup and a lot more cells for good coverage.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 21, 2022

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
"Twitter will compete with Youtube. Also, how does advertising work?"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Elon getting done for insider trading would be hilarious.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

goatface posted:

Elon getting done for insider trading would be hilarious.

He would claim it wasn’t inside trading, just hardcore trading

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol awesome, just talking to an acquaintance and making friends and I say "anyway, back to watching twitter and tesla implode" and he suddenly goes all silent and sullen

This must be what being a chud on thanksgiving is like

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

DaveWoo posted:

Question for the stock market experts here - is it theoretically possible for Elon to somehow be making money off of Tesla's stock price falling? For example, could he be secretly shorting Tesla stock?

If you believe in it hard enough, you'll find strength to pull the gymnastics through that logic.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I'm trying to think of a strategy where Elon comes out on top and I'm not seeing it. Depress the price to snap up a larger share and then somehow build it back up? But the main reason it's tanking is that he is on twitter 24/7 showing the world how incompetent he is, so I don't think he has a lot control over pumping the stock back up.

Not to mention, what's he going to use to snap up a larger share? Most of his net worth is TSLA shares, he has no buying power independent of the stock price. Even assuming he had something up his sleeve to guide it back to previous highs after alienating a huge chunk of his customer base.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Doctor Butts posted:

Ah, so it's pure coding to the metal, setting the rails for the distributed architecture that all the micro services use to wall in the framework that the suite pulls from to average frequency mappings to deliver bit-level encoding quality to users while shunting above average latency ratings.
Yup! That’s a good stack!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yes, it's specifically the new, high bandwidth bit in 5G that is a beast of a thing. The chunk that is tweaked LTE is fine, but to the consumer that is just 4G continuation. Only the shiny new part is 5G for the purposes of marketing.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
All the Christmas talk has reminded me it's time to watch my fav piece of Christmas media from the last few years - the Creepshow holiday special, Shapeshifters Anonymous. It's not particularly good by any means, but it's fun AF - it involves a support group of were-animals (and a furry) fighting an army of evil Santas, and the whole thing takes place in pretty much one set.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
I'm the stack baby

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I’m honestly blown away by that clip. That’s like a “strong no hire” answer for a software engineering intern, let alone a genius that wants to run the engineering team

But he has money and stocks, so he must be good? He's just playing dumb to own libs, that's all.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

the holy poopacy posted:

Not to mention, what's he going to use to snap up a larger share? Most of his net worth is TSLA shares, he has no buying power independent of the stock price. Even assuming he had something up his sleeve to guide it back to previous highs after alienating a huge chunk of his customer base.

Yeah there doesn't appear to be anything to the idea. He's no stranger to manipulating the market for himself, but there's no strategy in shooting yourself in the dick the way he's doing.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Yes and no. Some of it does offer equivalent ranges, but thats SOME of it, 5G has resulted in the need for a lot more cell sites to provide the same coverage versus 4G.

It does provide distinct advantages, such as ability to support more users and provide more throughput, but it has significantly worse range than 4G.

5G low band is still a thing. Midband and MMwave are new. Not aware of any US carrier that is publishing much info on their Midband and MMwave besides Verizon going big on advertising MMwave. Most users who see 5G icons on their phone are mostly likely to be using the low band (baseband) and it will be that way for a couple years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Yeah there doesn't appear to be anything to the idea. He's no stranger to manipulating the market for himself, but there's no strategy in shooting yourself in the dick the way he's doing.

I suspect because inside he's panicking and trying to post through the pain.

waffle iron posted:

5G low band is still a thing. Midband and MMwave are new. Not aware of any US carrier that is publishing much info on their Midband and MMwave besides Verizon going big on advertising MMwave. Most users who see 5G icons on their phone are mostly likely to be using the low band (baseband) and it will be that way for a couple years.

True, again, 5G is great, but I suspect 4G will remain relevant for quite some time.

Now my curiosity is it seems like T-Mobile/Spring is doing better in the 5G space and Verizon has been struggling, are they hoping the MMWave will make up that?

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
I engineered a massive stack in the toilet this morning and immediately got a DM from Elon asking me to be CEO. Super weird

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I still can't get over that clip. I don't think I've ever seen a boss take that "What? How dare you talk back to me! Who are you???" tone with someone pressing him on details, outside of like a movie where he is referred to as the Dark Lord

Every tech company in my entire life studiously encourages employees to talk to execs casually and challengingly, as though they were equals, even if it's obvious they're not

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Did the epic email actually lead to much of the company quitting? I never heard any follow up, after it was said they had no way of tracking workers decisions.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

StrangersInTheNight posted:

All the Christmas talk has reminded me it's time to watch my fav piece of Christmas media from the last few years - the Creepshow holiday special, Shapeshifters Anonymous. It's not particularly good by any means, but it's fun AF - it involves a support group of were-animals (and a furry) fighting an army of evil Santas, and the whole thing takes place in pretty much one set.

Looking into it

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

the holy poopacy posted:

Not to mention, what's he going to use to snap up a larger share? Most of his net worth is TSLA shares,
Not any more!!!

Seriously, though, not any more if you can believe public numbers. Only about 60- odd billion of his 150-ish are from Tesla shares.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

I'm the stack baby

Whoa whoa whoa. There's still plenty of code on that application. You get yourself some SQL and an API... baby, you're getting a stack on.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

There are probably ways to hedge his position that may be legal for an insider, but not at any level that would offset his losses. And any such transaction would be scrutinized by the SEC, not that he's shown any real care about them.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Elon’s a genius engineer he wrote a choose your own adventure in procedural basic and got eviscerated on his own platform when asked a simple coding question.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

DaveWoo posted:

Question for the stock market experts here - is it theoretically possible for Elon to somehow be making money off of Tesla's stock price falling? For example, could he be secretly shorting Tesla stock?

Maybe? I don't know which trader would be willing to let Elon make billions in option calls (aka stock gambling) on his own company. That's blatantly stupid insider trader, the kind that actually gets you sent jail.

But Elon could actually post himself into the poor house. The big trap for Elon is that he leveraged half of his Tesla stock for loans. The billions he owes for those loans is very real, while all of Musk's wealth is tied up in a inflated stock price on a foundation of hype and memes. If that bubble pops, most of Musks' money will be gone. He could actually end up in a situation where selling billions in Tesla stock won't be enough to cover his loans.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

CommieGIR posted:

It does provide distinct advantages, such as ability to support more users and provide more throughput, but it has significantly worse range than 4G for most of its bands.

5G is great, but it requires a lot more antenna's especially for their MIMO setup and a lot more cells for good coverage.

24ghz is the millimeter wave frequency that was referred to. It's only a subset of the broader standard. It's perfectly capable of being run on the same frequencies as previous standards with similar rf propagation characteristics. You just don't get the same speed as millimeter wave, because there's less bandwidth.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

cr0y posted:

Oddly enough this just came across my reddit scrolling.

The algorithm knows :tinfoil:

So shaving your head or being bald makes you white? Is this how skinheads came to be?

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

No Radical Candor !!!!!

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
I'll bet they didn't need a "complete refactor" until very recently, like when they let that sink in.

Basically they don't understand the code they have and someone wants to rewrite it so they do, meanwhile introducing all the bugs and problems the code they have already addresses.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Elon's insistence that Twitter's stack is too complicated is the same as when Trump insisted the Navy go back to steam catapults on their carriers.

It's the exact same poo poo.

A narcissistic pissbaby can't understand it therefore nobody can, and therefore it's bad and wrong.

Anyway, my new bet is that Elon's next proposal for Twitter is that they dump everything and turn it into an SA clone.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Roseo posted:

24ghz is the millimeter wave frequency that was referred to. It's only a subset of the broader standard. It's perfectly capable of being run on the same frequencies as previous standards with similar rf propagation characteristics. You just don't get the same speed as millimeter wave, because there's less bandwidth.

One of the less talked about disadvantages of 5G is that it operates on microwave channels that are incredibly close to the channels used by weather satellites to measure water vapor in the atmosphere. So poor fidelity in design of 5G components or degradation of existing 5G infrastructure can bleed into those channels and corrupt a significant source of weather data, which could have significant impacts on future weather forecasting. Particularly in the precipitation extremes where accuracy is most important.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MJeff posted:

I too am going to quote this post and mockingly call back to the guy who repeatedly insisted Elon is a great engineer and can hold his own in a conversation on the subject without ever providing a single example.

They also said they had 2nd hand anecdotes about Musk being a moron but never elaborated on that earlier

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
you should not body shame elon

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1517707521343082496

lol bill gates shorted tsla

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
This could have been the rest of your life, but you chose to yell at internet instead

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I was that rich I'd probably be spherical tbh.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Withnail posted:

:lol:

Holy poo poo I didn't realize he tweeted this

:hmbol:

Yeah lookin good Mayonaise Golem

Bill Gates doesn't use a Holloween picture with his wierd hosed up face photoshopped to hell

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Withnail posted:

Doesn't Musk know that Gates is like killing millions of people and is part of the secret society that runs the world?? He should talk with his fanbase more, posting memes like that is gonna get Hillary Clinton after you.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

confused posted:

Or, you know, someone who has been building engineering teams in SV startups for the last 25 years who might know more about it than someone who says, "LOL! Elon isn't a real engineer!"

I could spend a good hour telling you how bad leader, manager and human being Elon Musk is based on stories of people who worked directly for him, but I could never claim he was a bad engineer.

Still want to hear those stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Maybe? I don't know which trader would be willing to let Elon make billions in option calls (aka stock gambling) on his own company. That's blatantly stupid insider trader, the kind that actually gets you sent jail.

But Elon could actually post himself into the poor house. The big trap for Elon is that he leveraged half of his Tesla stock for loans. The billions he owes for those loans is very real, while all of Musk's wealth is tied up in a inflated stock price on a foundation of hype and memes. If that bubble pops, most of Musks' money will be gone. He could actually end up in a situation where selling billions in Tesla stock won't be enough to cover his loans.

Sounds like the prelude to his presidential run!