Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I forgot why I stopped watching this and tried watching again from where I Ieft off. It's when the Rosen Ritter are introduced. I remembered why - I don't like how Schenkopf looks now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like him and his voice.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyXZPQaAHag

Seems like My Conquest is a Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War are being released in theaters with a 4k remaster.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Oh gently caress yeah

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

duckdealer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyXZPQaAHag

Seems like My Conquest is a Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War are being released in theaters with a 4k remaster.

oh poo poo I want that. I assume that's coming to disc at some point?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Finished rewatching the OVA. Maybe next I'll finally move on to the Gaiden series. Why's it so good?

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Finished rewatching the OVA. Maybe next I'll finally move on to the Gaiden series. Why's it so good?

Because you get to see Yang/Reinhard & Kircheis' military career beginnings; at least two of the 4 episode story arcs are as good as anything in the OVA. I thought the Free Planets stuff wasn't as good as those episodes, and not all 4 episode arcs are of the same quality, but you should definitely check all of the episodes out once finishing the OVAs. Also more royal court intrigue/Benemunde machinations prior to the OVA.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I watched some of the new series and…

Besides the lack of classical music (and an amazing selection of classical only rivaled by the Hannibal tv series) the direction/storyboarding is just not great

I was looking forward to the battle between Iserlohn and Geiersburg but seeing Geiers zip around like a space fighter was just ridiculous. Even with the shoestring crayon budget of the original they were able to give the sense that these were massive, massive death stars. Such a shame, because I was looking forward to it having a much better animation budget and flashy cg effects

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tools are only as good as the hand that wields them. Anime is no less immune to poor choreography and cinematography that CGI unfortunately lends to itself.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly I thought it all looked great. It's a massive thing but it was explicitly going very fast.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

planet earth goes very fast too

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

planet earth goes very fast too

I'd like to make myself believe that it turns very slowly, tho

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Meanwhile I really enjoyed episodes 42 and 43 of the new anime. The talk between Huang and Lebello, no action, and I believe what is new the reaction of of the FPA citizenry of the kid emperor, even if a lot of was ham-fisted. I don't think the original OVA had like bunch of random dialogue of opinions about the situation?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It was really good, and I was happy to see the reactions.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
https://twitter.com/ragzouken/status/1273724744613928960

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Reinhard is goated

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How many episodes is the new series expected to be when it finishes? I want to be ready to tell my friends that they are bitches if they stop watching when the big thing happens.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Steve Yun posted:

How many episodes is the new series expected to be when it finishes? I want to be ready to tell my friends that they are bitches if they stop watching when the big thing happens.

At the current rate, roughly as long as the original series.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I can't get myself to start watching Die Neue; I did watch the Reuenthal v. Schenkopp 1v1 and thought it was cool enough. But I doubt I will watch it until it's finished & I've rewatched the original OVA few times. I dislike the animation (though the ship battle CGI is cooler to look at) & the character designs, everyone looks so similar compared to the OVA days where every character has their own expressions and distinct facial features.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I dunno sometimes I’d do a double take with these two

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
They're actually a good example of how old LoGH does a good job. They're definitely similar looking, but even if you shaved them bald and didn't have the hair color to go by they have distinctly different eye sizes and nose shape.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Yeah I mean I can understand the point they look similar, but not to the level Die Neue These is and I also think they look distinctual enough. Also I just think the animation doesn't allow for the human characterization the OVA can provide. Yang for example, appears totally different to me and not the sort of unassuming, laidback, humble 'hero' he is in the OVA compared to being basically a mirror to Reinhard in appearance & confidence as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I prefer Die Nuese Theses art style so far.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Die Neue These for the characters interacting with each other.
OVA for the ship battles.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Die neue these also doesn't tell you when very important characters loving die in the next episode preview

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Any news for when the English dub for the current season is supposed to be released

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nick Soapdish posted:

Any news for when the English dub for the current season is supposed to be released

Thought it already was.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thought it already was.

Not on Crunchyroll, just the first 3 seasons

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I've fallen off on keeping up with the re-release, but here's the latest tech demo for the OG series laserdisc remaster. Looks pretty clean IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3dMrtnN7Fc

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Really wish the blu rays for de neue weren't so loving expensive. Would love to add it to my physical media collection but don't want to pay 50+ bucks for 12 episodes.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Frederica Greenhill is one of the Top 5 Ride-or-Dies in Anime History if just for this scene alone

steal my man and i'm dusting off the old uniform. *~just watch~*

e: I cannot believe the Imperial Military Occupation and the Alliance puppet government left all the Rosenritter guys to their own devices. Walter von Schenkopp is basically Otto Skorzeny But Good. Of course Fred and Walt are going to get the band back together to do some A-Team poo poo and kidnap the prime minister the second they get a halfway good reason

e2: HELL YEAH SHE DID IT

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 22, 2023

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Finally got poster girlfriend bought me for Christmas, after it was returned to Japan undeliverable first time. Didn't get my LOGH coffee mug yet either.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

:hellyeah:

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Can anybody tell me why the animation quality changes drastically scene by scene in the OVA? Is this like a Zeta Gundam movie situation?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

War and Pieces posted:

Can anybody tell me why the animation quality changes drastically scene by scene in the OVA? Is this like a Zeta Gundam movie situation?

Are you watching the remastered version? They reanimated some scenes around the turn of the Millenium and it didn’t quite match because the animation was too good/clean

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

If I recall the original footage was stored poorly and damaged, and they had to re-do all the bits that weren't salvageable.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Steve Yun posted:

Are you watching the remastered version? They reanimated some scenes around the turn of the Millenium and it didn’t quite match because the animation was too good/clean

it's certainly cleaner but the sharper lines are less SOVLful

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

I realize why I like the okd style so much, It reminds me of King of the Hill. I wonder if the Korean studios had some overlap there.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

War and Pieces posted:

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Reminder there is a LD upscale project exactly because of this.