Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Appoda posted:

Does that mean a region with a fairly static climate (the desert, or the arctic) will have a lower FPS hit?

I'm not sure if that's been tested.

It does mean that the more exposed or visible tiles you have, and definitely the more random items you have, the more FPS slowdown you'll get, as the game continuously recalculates whether or not each random pigtail sock is on fire or not. Function of exposed surface area.

Magma dumping and/or atom smashing seem highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

:3:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Mmm. I do have a lot of cave fishman bones. If I build a drawbridge underground, do I need to make space for the above tiles?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Appoda posted:

Mmm. I do have a lot of cave fishman bones. If I build a drawbridge underground, do I need to make space for the above tiles?

Drawbridges are still only one tile tall when raised, regardless of how long they are.

Demnos
Aug 30, 2022

Appoda posted:

No, raised bridges are effectively just 1 level high walls. No need to carve out clearance above them.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Jesus, I started a new fort in a new, older world to get away from my megafort, and found a lovely mountain stream next to a homey volcano. Too bad the location ended up being too good to be true, because it was already occupied by a hydra that drove by just a minute after my embark and ate my woodworker. Let's see if we can get a fort going before all of my dwarves turn into hydra food.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there any way to see if a site has coal or a sedimentary layer? All the volcano starts I've found lack coal.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

nielsm posted:

Drawbridges are still only one tile tall when raised, regardless of how long they are.

nielsm posted:

That explains why two of my marksdwarves were able to leap into melee with a bunch of goblin siegers :v: Guess I know to brick that off now, thanks

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
So I had my FPS mysteriously drop to about six to eight frames per second after about a decade in a fort. No big water movements. Temperatures turned off. About one hundred creatures in the cavern who hate me but that was nothing new. And only fifty dwarves left in the fort (we had some... losses).

Anyway as best I can tell I actually managed to get the issue under control, one theory is that the fps drop was caused by a loyalty cascade in the tavern and the issue may have been fixed by setting all of my meeting zones to fortress only and displacing as many of the remaining guests as possible (in case they had some kinda processing voodoo that might exit with them when they left the map)

The other possible culprit is I had about thirty bee hives built and the game spawned in tens of thousands of bees per hive, those are being disassembled as we speak.

Anyway my FPS has been restored now back to around 50 frames per second which was pretty much what it was before the issue occured.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
Total noob to this game and it's a handful (in a good way!).

Is there a reason my militia won't sleep in the barracks? I've created the zone, assigned it to the squad and all the options are selected (train, sleep & store items). There's beds, cabinets and chests in the room. What gives?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

now that fungus started growing everywhere should i like delete my old farms on the silty clay

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Are they sleeping on the floor, or returning to their rooms? There's also an option to select personal bedroom or barracks only when you set training orders, so maybe that's the problem

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Big L posted:

Total noob to this game and it's a handful (in a good way!).

Is there a reason my militia won't sleep in the barracks? I've created the zone, assigned it to the squad and all the options are selected (train, sleep & store items). There's beds, cabinets and chests in the room. What gives?

In the squad or schedule screen there's a "Sleep in Room at will" button that you click to switch it to "Sleep in barracks at need"

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

now that fungus started growing everywhere should i like delete my old farms on the silty clay

There's no benefit for output unless it's specifically in a cavern. You will get the same yield as silty clay. It literally has to be inside of a discovered cavern on a tile that has dense fungus cover. Then it will not say "poor" under the plot yield.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hmph well that's all water as far as i can tell

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

hmph well that's all water as far as i can tell

There should be three cavern levels. Maybe the next one won't be?

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko

Appoda posted:

Are they sleeping on the floor, or returning to their rooms? There's also an option to select personal bedroom or barracks only when you set training orders, so maybe that's the problem

Buschmaki posted:

In the squad or schedule screen there's a "Sleep in Room at will" button that you click to switch it to "Sleep in barracks at need"

Ah, gotcha, found it. They were in the middle of a snooze when I changed the schedule so I will have to monitor them later. Thanks!

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver
Had a second forgotten beast attack. Initial experiments on bards showed that exposure to its gas caused imminent death. So I decided since I have so many "monster hunters" who have never stepped foot outside the tavern that they'd appreciate the once-in-lifetime experience of a real forgotten beast. I locked the fortress side doors and left the cavern side doors open. Some of them even survived! And the free armour to toss into the smelters wasn't too bad either.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
If I've got extremely unhappy dwarves that are "somewhat focused with satisfied needs", is that enough to get them happy as long as they maintain that or is it not enough if they're already that pissed

Their only regularly "unmet need" at this point is "Be with family" and they've got no family so uh

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Started my tutorial and was following along until a tree collapsed and generated a sea of blood apparently from killing the majority of my dwarves.

The tutorial gave no shits and just kept telling me to continue. 10/10 would do it again

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Lol, I've yet to have one of these tree fatalities. Is it based on the skill of the woodcutter, or is it just some unlucky dwarf standing in the path of a falling tree?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Legit no idea but i have learned not to cut trees near the wagon. At least initially

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
AFAIK dwarf woodcutters always fell the trees away from where they're standing, but if there's someone on the other side, well...

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I had a veteran monster hunter show up to the tavern, and shortly after she was followed by her niece, also a monster hunter, who disdains skills related to fighting, values peace, is timid, doesn't do well in stressful situations, has barely any combat skills, and has never killed anything.

The niece went down into the caverns, stabbed a troll to death with a spear, and was immediately traumatized and overwhelmed with horror, sitting there crying on the cavern floor next to the dead troll. She has not returned to the caverns since and is just hanging out in the tavern months later.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Trees fall away from dwarves but if it's a giant multi z level tree or there's branches to fall your dwarf will happily fall or get crushed. I lost my last fort because I had 3-4 dwarves that couldn't walk due to tree injuries, then a bunch of giant lovebirds, mosquitos, and flies kept attacking my dwarves trying to get them to the hospital and refused to listen to anything I told them to do while giving thousands of "interrupted action" or "can't get water to dwarf" errors until my FPS slowed down and most of my dwarves were too maimed to accomplish anything. Next time I'm just gonna lock the fortress if I see that many giant animals.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Broken Cog posted:

AFAIK dwarf woodcutters always fell the trees away from where they're standing, but if there's someone on the other side, well...

They always fall away from the cutter but particularly dense growths of trees can sometimes be fucky and logs from previous trees get caught on the branches of others, and those can fall straight down and crush your woodcutter.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Mister Bates posted:

I had a veteran monster hunter show up to the tavern, and shortly after she was followed by her niece, also a monster hunter, who disdains skills related to fighting, values peace, is timid, doesn't do well in stressful situations, has barely any combat skills, and has never killed anything.

The niece went down into the caverns, stabbed a troll to death with a spear, and was immediately traumatized and overwhelmed with horror, sitting there crying on the cavern floor next to the dead troll. She has not returned to the caverns since and is just hanging out in the tavern months later.

I think two anime main characters just showed up at your fortress.

I've yet to have any monster hunters do anything except hang around and drink, or get killed by the first monster they encounter. Soldiers will at least join your squads and pull their weight.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

What’s an easy way of keeping my dwarves from cleaning up all the dead bodies in the caverns? Forbid everything? Burrows? If so …. drat because there was a forgotten beast down there for ages setting everything on fire.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Create a "cleaner" role for cleaning and claiming bodies, then set it to "Nobody do this" whenever the caverns aren't walled off or forbidden

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Create a "cleaner" role for cleaning and claiming bodies, then set it to "Nobody do this" whenever the caverns aren't walled off or forbidden

Perfect!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there any way to clean fungus off my floor when I don't want it?

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver

Baronjutter posted:

Is there any way to clean fungus off my floor when I don't want it?

Build a floor over it

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Here's a hot tip for instantly getting your temples and guildhalls above the 2000 value mark early on.
Place some pedestals, toss on some of those 800 worth cut gems you probably have lying around if you're digging and cutting. Bam, instant adequate meeting hall value.

I also don't think thieves go for non-artifact items on display, so it should be fairly safe.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Similarly, now that totems are useless as elven trade fodder, put those up on cheap pedestals around the fort for some easy mood boosts.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

mst4k posted:

What’s an easy way of keeping my dwarves from cleaning up all the dead bodies in the caverns? Forbid everything? Burrows? If so …. drat because there was a forgotten beast down there for ages setting everything on fire.

If they're picking up all the dead spiders they can find, you can mass-forbid them from the stocks screen. I can't remember if it's under corpses, or body parts.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Some snakeman "leader" whose main attributes seemed to "criminal" and "legendary butcher" decided to visit. By which I mean he slithered into a stagnant pond and stayed their until he starved to death.

The second elf caravan brought me a breeding pair of giant blue jays, so that's pretty cool. Good way to kick off my poultry sector.

I haven't had any migrants past my initial 20 or so for over a year. I do have a lot of unhappy dwarfs, maybe they're leaving bad yelp reviews? No moods yet either.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GruntyThrst posted:

They always fall away from the cutter but particularly dense growths of trees can sometimes be fucky and logs from previous trees get caught on the branches of others, and those can fall straight down and crush your woodcutter.

Yeah, felled trees never hurt anyone when they come down, but layers they were supporting, like bits of other trees do. Not a problem if your fort is somewhere without dense trees, otherwise :shrug:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

The second elf caravan brought me a breeding pair of giant blue jays, so that's pretty cool. Good way to kick off my poultry sector.

Given all the recent stories about agitated giant birds decimating dwarves settling in high savagery areas, it might be effective to train these as war animals. Dwarven Air Force!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Appoda posted:

If they're picking up all the dead spiders they can find, you can mass-forbid them from the stocks screen. I can't remember if it's under corpses, or body parts.

A bunch of trolls and ogres and jabbers and flesh balls and whatever else is on cavern 3. I’ll check this.. thanks man.

The Moon Monster posted:

I haven't had any migrants past my initial 20 or so for over a year. I do have a lot of unhappy dwarfs, maybe they're leaving bad yelp reviews? No moods yet either.

I stayed around 20-30 for maybe the first two years then went to 200 in no time at all, it was crazy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

An elephant pulled my wagon to my embark site :getin: