Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

D-Pad posted:

Avi Loeb announced a new project:

https://avi-loeb.medium.com/the-next-copernican-revolution-9110709b7320

Has some real heavy hitters on the team. There plan is to explore the solar system with swarms of cheap autonomous AI enabled drones. I hope it succeeds.

will they be powered by nfts

e: bad snipe don't wanna be a dick, I think it's good to spam probes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Fire in the Sky is on Prime, and the red light alone is still terrifying.

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'll never believe this is real but it's pretty cool

https://www.reddit.com/r/HighStrang...nt=share_button

Friends with the Fresno Nightcrawler?
https://thebusinessjournal.com/more-than-fresno-famous-how-the-nightcrawler-captured-the-worlds-imagination/

Dogthing
May 30, 2003

or is it.... just a dog??
Grimey Drawer

Tighclops posted:

I think it's good to spam probes

so does everyone else in the universe apparently lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
What is "a probe with AI" even supposed to be

Like it takes a half hour to send commands to Mars or whatever, and probably 4 hours to goddamn Pluto. What the gently caress do you expect to see that requires a reaction time faster than half a day?

What is the purpose of the ai and how is it different and better than a bunch of if/ else or humans running the probe? Is it because you need brain nerds who know orbital mechanics and will want to get paid?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I dunno this whole ai / nanotech / synthetic biology concept may not be the kind of thing you want to put in a private corporation

Next thing you know it's some weland-yutani bullshit

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

What is "a probe with AI" even supposed to be

Like it takes a half hour to send commands to Mars or whatever, and probably 4 hours to goddamn Pluto. What the gently caress do you expect to see that requires a reaction time faster than half a day?

What is the purpose of the ai and how is it different and better than a bunch of if/ else or humans running the probe? Is it because you need brain nerds who know orbital mechanics and will want to get paid?

would guess for deciding where and when to run experiments and basic navigation. if its sensors were fancy enough itd be handy to be able to navigate out of obstacles and pick a good spot for some probin

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I dunno this whole ai / nanotech / synthetic biology concept may not be the kind of thing you want to put in a private corporation

Next thing you know it's some weland-yutani bullshit

if we get interstellar travel, or hell even like significant extraction of the solar system, this is how it's gonna go anyway.

like literally unless J'rooti is gonna march on Washington and more generally collapse the human social order or vassalize us or some poo poo; if physics/the demiurge allows us to escape our cradle/prison, it's gonna be some stupid weyland-yutani bullshit

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
https://twitter.com/exaltiora/status/1605456261914546176?t=ZX4ZsJ7ARbsQap7BC0c7sQ&s=19

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Sleekly posted:

would guess for deciding where and when to run experiments and basic navigation. if its sensors were fancy enough itd be handy to be able to navigate out of obstacles and pick a good spot for some probin

i just... i'm pretty sure you need to map out your probe's path and commit ahead of time, so why would you not just do that "manually?" Why put that decision into the probe itself, if it's supposed to be a cheap 1 out of thousands probe?

Just park the probes in some holding pattern, pick out your 10000 targets to analyze, and tell each one where to go? They should be reporting their findings back even if it's boring as gently caress, so you're going to be in some kind of contact... so which is cheaper, an "ai" + hardware + transmitter, or a transceiver that can also receive commands? Why would you not put the ai on a server here, and beam its commands to the probe?

This whole thing sounds like investor bait with buzzwords like space ai nanomachine biology democratized paradigm shift

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

if the investor bait finds the birds idgaf

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

someone got fed up with the air force playing semantic games with the word aerial and now UAP officially means unidentified anomalous phenomenon lol

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

helta posted:

Lol

But... since I'm lazy as hell and you peeps probably have links at the ready. Do we have a comprehensive list of quotable quotes regarding ufos from either presidents or ex-presidents? I know there are some things probably said in jest... but not in jest.

https://www.uap.guide/

Not a ton of president quotes in here but quite a few politicians.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

This whole thing sounds like investor bait with buzzwords like space ai nanomachine biology democratized paradigm shift

Yup

Jazerus posted:

if the investor bait finds the birds idgaf

Yup

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

new aitee drop
https://twitter.com/528vibes/status/1605409792209874944?s=20&t=MWEkh0jCPzWaXxxc0NSRnQ

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Lol yeah totally

I'm so sick of people who "have the documents" or "are aware of personnel who may," from this to politics, say it or get off your webcam. Or get off on your webcam, anything that means actual results

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

Lol yeah totally

I'm so sick of people who "have the documents" or "are aware of personnel who may," from this to politics, say it or get off your webcam. Or get off on your webcam, anything that means actual results

yeah of all the people involved in the recent canon, Ramirez is one of the least credible

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Disclosure will happen precisely three years into the second trump administration

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Seriously, if there isn't a huge election fixing scheme in motion
how the gently caress is a galactic civilization gonna fly down and shake hands with Trump or DeSantis

"Build the wall" but also here are our beautiful galactic neighbors

Unless they're coming down to kick it with Xi
I guess it is very amero-centric to assume they'd even bother with our backwards rear end-and-asses

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It makes sense if the disclosure is of something terrible and sinister that nobody wants to take the flak for

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Slavvy posted:

It makes sense if the disclosure is of something terrible and sinister that nobody wants to take the flak for

Conversely though, it seems like a fascist is the last person you want to be the sort to be able to clarify "the elite have been lying to you for decades"

Especially one with a Q cult, the ripples of that on American society would be incredibly destructive

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

"Former" CIA, yeah right

I don't believe a word Ramirez or Semivan say, frankly

Slavvy posted:

The disclosure probably is something that neolib ghouls would find terrible and sinister

Which is that the US gov/MIC doesn't know/can't do poo poo about whatever this thing is, if it is

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Conversely though, it seems like a fascist is the last person you want to be the sort to be able to clarify "the elite have been lying to you for decades"

Especially one with a Q cult, the ripples of that on American society would be incredibly destructive

Right but what if it's literally unavoidable in the sense that jrooti has told you that on July aitee 2027 she will inform the world that we are meat animals

Who do you want in charge at that moment if you're a venal piece of poo poo

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

joe biden glitching and going into a recursive loop

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Wheeee posted:

joe biden glitching and going into a recursive loop

aggressively challenging a man named jack to a pushup contest and getting stuck in "listen here, fat-jack-" forever

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
They said I was fat as fat jack

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Confused by their stature and neonatal features, Biden gropes a Gray on camera

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

The disclosure probably is something that neolib ghouls would find terrible and sinister

oh no, the peanutties have scientifically proven that capitalism sucks!

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Okay bird thread. Two things I could use help with. Or not help really, just commiseration maybe? A place to just ask what the gently caress?

Just a little over an hour ago, I was driving back from making a deposit at the bank for work. I just happened to look up and saw a shape in the sky. It's a beautiful clear day here in south western West Virginia, a bit of a breeze blowing in with a cold front, so just sporadic clouds.

Anyway, I saw something. At first I thought it was a helicopter coming in to land at the local hospital, but the Life Flight is white and blue, not silver.

Ok so what the hell. It wasn't moving or making any noise I could hear over traffic. Then it hit me what it COULD be, so I glanced down to grab my phone and by the time I was able to locate it, I had gone around a bend that took it out of my sight. In all, the time span was 15 to 20 seconds. I can't explain WHY I didn't feel a deeper compulsion to grab my phone before then, first it was trying to figure out if it was a helicopter, then it was just..amazement almost? Like I said, I flat out can't explain it.

So after the bend, I had my phone ready, still telling myself it was a helicopter, that I would see it in the sky, smaller, but on its way in to land. But nothing. Not smaller, not bigger same size. Not a drat thing. If it WAS a helicopter coming in to land, it would still be visible. It couldn't have dropped several hundred feet in less than the 5 seconds or so it was out of sight.

Even now, a bit over an hour and a half later, I'm trying to convince myself it was a helicopter. Or a wind defying balloon that I guess just defied physics and disapeared instantly instead of continuing to float along.

I flat out can't explain what is saw.

As best I can describe it, was a silvery rounded ovoid shape, almost like a football, with a vertical black stripe. I should have driven by the hospital to see if a life flight was even coming in, but it didn't occur to me until after the shock and dismay had gone.

Second thing. My dad sent these to me over a month ago and I didn't pay too much attention to him. I've long grown tired of trying to explain digital artifacting and photoshop to him.

Anyway, the best I can remember is that it was in the late night and he was taking the dog out to do her business and he saw a light over a nearby mountain. He continued to watch it, but it didn't flicker, it seemed to pulse. He went back inside to get his phone and took these:

..along with a message of "See the shape?"

Like I said, I didn't pay it much mind because I just saw the artifacting in the zoomed in picture. But then I looked and the long shot and zoomed in with my finger. The triangular shape is there BEFORE you blow it up or zoom in.

It gave me goosebumps the first time I realized it and I called him back immediately and told him that yeah, I can see the shape behind the light.

I don't know. I'm still trying to tell myself that it WAS just a helicopter and I'm fooling myself that I didn't just let the chance to take a picture of my very own bird go down the tubes. But God I feel so drat dumb right now.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
well you didn't crash and have to explain birds to the cops at least

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

just regarding the pic from your dad, i wouldn't put too much stock into the triangular shape behind the white light. Based on the shapes of all three lights in the image, it looks like they're point sources being blurred out to that same characteristic donut. that's a property of the optics. with the current focal settings on the camera you wouldn't be able to resolve anything smaller than that shape at that distance. Meaning unless that triangle is far closer to the camera, it's probably just a trick of artifacting. obviously i could be completely wrong, but that's my semi-educated take

i'm not a photography expert but i know a lot about microscopy and the same optical properties should apply here

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

poo poo is real and maybe you saw some

neat

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Intergalactic bokeh

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

and that's the sort of claim that makes me not trust that guy at all lol

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

somethin BIG goin down in Aiteember, 2027!

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Barry Foster posted:

"Former" CIA, yeah right

I don't believe a word Ramirez or Semivan say, frankly

Which is that the US gov/MIC doesn't know/can't do poo poo about whatever this thing is, if it is

I think they've internalized the concept of legitimacy as intertwined with security and CONGOV processes, to the point that acknowledging an entity with greater military force than the US government is some grand humiliation that will lead to social collapse

Look at how badly many Americans have mentally handled covid or Katrina or the theory of evolution. There could be a fear that there will be some backlash. How it would play out, I'm not sure, but I don't think organizations designed to maintain the status quo need much urging to see risk in disclosure, even if it's relatively innocuous.

One of my friends told me something interesting the other day which might be relevant here too: 99.999% of people didn't know about the Manhattan project until Hiroshima.

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

lets see the report wiggle itself out of this one

post from reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/zrum98/i_just_called_into_a_local_radio_show_and_got_to/

quote:

I live in Manhattan and my local station, WNYC, does a monthly “Call Your Senator” segment with Senator Gillibrand. I called in last month too but finally got on the air this morning. Here is the link to the segment. My question starts at 18:52.

Transcript of the Senator’s answer:

So I appreciate your call. Thank you. I met with the head, Dr. Fitzpatrick, about a week and a half ago to find out where it is and he says it’s soon to be made public. It’s [being] through it’s final review by the Secretary of Defense, the Director of National Intelligence, and so he thought it could be within the next few weeks or days. So it is late, which, you know, of course made me slightly concerned but he said it was not intentional, just the first public report, so they wanted to make sure it was well written. And it should be out soon so that will be step one.

I obviously care deeply about this issue from a national security perspective but also from a personnel perspective. We want to make sure service members and other members of the military that when they come forward with data and information and videos, that they can actually give this information without having their careers suffer and being dismissed or disregarded in some way.

It’s essential that we know and know what types of Unidentified Aerial Phenomena exist and then we can do the rigorous scientific review to identify it. Some may well be weather balloons, some may well be drones, some well may be adversaries like China or Russia, and some may truly be unknown. But we need to know the entire collective group of what have we seen, what are the concerns, what technology is it, and can it be identified.

So that work is being done by Dr. Fitzpatrick and his team and he’s extremely serious and very focused and I’m optimistic that it will be a thorough and thoughtful approach and one that will have a public lens.

edit: the Senator referred to a “Dr. Fitzpatrick” twice but I’m fairly certain she was actually referring to Dr. Sean Kirkpatrick, director of AARO.

helta has issued a correction as of 22:11 on Dec 21, 2022

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

helta posted:

Lol

But... since I'm lazy as hell and you peeps probably have links at the ready. Do we have a comprehensive list of quotable quotes regarding ufos from either presidents or ex-presidents? I know there are some things probably said in jest... but not in jest.

I won't be linking but off the top of my head Reagan supposedly saw a ufo from his plane, Carter cried when they told him what the aliens are actually up to, Obama made a "joke" about them and Nixon showed one to Jackie Gleeson. I think Clinton made a comment but I can't remember.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

biggest bummer if uap are entirely local to our system.

not because i wanna explore the cosmos, because obviously i do, but if those objects originate within our own system, the relationship we have to them is not some tabula rasa upon which like, starfleet can be built, but is a series of bummer rear end possibilities that, even if they're ftl capable, makes our relationship one that's fundamentally material, and if we aren't elevated at this point, after who knows how many years of sightings, it implies it's not in the cards, and we will be staying here.

i know i am the least outwardly hopeful person here, but i generally hope for the best and let my anxious brain map out the worst case stuff, so i put more thought into that side of things.

like an awareness of the possibility of bummer poo poo, while hoping for the best, just means good outcomes taste better and bad ones are easier to swallow

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

the ultraterrestrials have decided it’s time to elevate humanity to a big farm where we can run free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Report gonna drop christmas eve and never be mentioned again