Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I didn't bother with chords till I started using an xbox controller, which doesn't have a DS4's touchpad that you can bind probably more than dozen commands to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I forgot how hosed up this game was. That stupid Leshen quest in Skellige is one of the harder ones to choose.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is it ever explained why everyone besides all the Witchers speak in heavily accented Middle English while all the Witchers either have unaccented or vaguely American accents?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

NieR Occomata posted:

Is it ever explained why everyone besides all the Witchers speak in heavily accented Middle English while all the Witchers either have unaccented or vaguely American accents?

Witchers are militant freaks no one likes.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Extremities? I had that disk even though I had already downloaded most of them. What was your mod?

Action Quake 2

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

NieR Occomata posted:

Hmrmm.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've been playing Witcher 3 since the new patch dropped, on my ps5. I'm now in Verden and having a blast. What's the best way to get completely broken fast?

Also bought the Witcher ttrpg since I'm into it.

Edit: Kinda disappointed that choosing to have saved the cool dragon lady in Witcher 2 will have zero effects on this game though, after looking it up.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

NieR Occomata posted:

"Unaccented"?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

:stare:

"I made a movie once"
"Oh neat maybe I've seen it, what was it called?"
"Jaws"

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 20, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NieR Occomata posted:

Witchers are raised as young children in an isolated fortress hundreds of miles away from civilization. You learn accents by listening to the people around you and mimicking them. Whatever accents a witcher candidate might have had as a four year old child gets ground out of them through isolation, training and your professor also having a gruff North American English accent.

That's just headcanon though. Real answer is that the English localization team wanted certain characters to sound unique rather than everyone having fantasy English accents. Also in the books Geralt claims to be from Rivia and adopts a rivian accent to bump up his market value with good brand recognition.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 20, 2022

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Squiggle posted:

:stare:

"I made a movie once"
"Oh neat maybe I've seen it, what was it called?"
"Jaws"

Yeah, for real. I played that all the time.

I'm having trouble keeping the gear in the crafting menu straight. It doesn't really seem to be ordered by quality or tier, and I'm not sure what I should be making now that I'm at level 20 and still using the Halberdier armor. It doesn't really help that I didn't touch the main quest at all until now, preferring to scrape the barrel for Witcher Quests. A friend told me to stop dicking around and get to the point in the main story where I can get the Wolf gear from Kaer Morhen.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Arc Hammer posted:

Real answer is that the English localization team wanted certain characters to sound unique rather than everyone having fantasy English accents.

I'd say the real answer is that American and slightly modified British RP are prestige accents, so are used for all the people you are most expected to care about in the game (including Ciri and sorceresses as well as witches). I'd love an AAA game to have a main character with a rural British accent, but I won't hold my breath.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Oh dear me posted:

I'd say the real answer is that American and slightly modified British RP are prestige accents, so are used for all the people you are most expected to care about in the game (including Ciri and sorceresses as well as witches). I'd love an AAA game to have a main character with a rural British accent, but I won't hold my breath.

Now I'm imagining Kevin McKidd trying to play Soap McTavish only he's Cornish.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

The main character in the Necromunda game by the EYE Divine Cybermancy devs is incredibly scottish.

Not quite AAA though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Vermintide crew are all extremely British aside from the scottish Elf

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I always forget that Witcher 3 has a loving twilight reference and always roll my loving eyes.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

MonsieurChoc posted:

The main character in the Necromunda game by the EYE Divine Cybermancy devs is incredibly scottish.

Not quite AAA though.

Yeah, but that's also quite prestigious, see Sean Connery and all the claims to Scottish ancestry. Not so many keen to tell you of their family roots in Birmingham

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NieR Occomata posted:

I always forget that Witcher 3 has a loving twilight reference and always roll my loving eyes.

As opposed to the Winnie the Pooh and Calvin and Hobbes references in Blood And Wine?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

what was the Twilight reference? I've only seen one of the movies (the second or third one i think?) so it must've gone over my head

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pretty sure it's in a book you can find in Touissaint talking about Vampires.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Charles Dance voicing Emhyr was a WOAAAAH moment 10 years ago, but now it's like he's slumming it after GoT. It is a conundrum.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Every time the sun sets Geralt says "I sure am tired of all these twilights" which is also a reference to Twilight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kobal2 posted:

Charles Dance voicing Emhyr was a WOAAAAH moment 10 years ago, but now it's like he's slumming it after GoT. It is a conundrum.

British actors always slum it. It's a great way to go on a paid holiday so you're not stuck in a country where it rains 300 days a year. Plus he's good as Emhyr so it's fine.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Who does the voice for Reinard in the new quest? It sounds like it's someone I should recognize but I can't place it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Every time the sun sets Geralt says "I sure am tired of all these twilights" which is also a reference to Twilight.

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH87uJzUoew

Good overview of the improvements (Alex really knows how to sell a GPU upgrade), and the problems.

There are some changes to the visuals irrespective of graphical settings, like higher quality LOD, which might explain why the new DX11 version runs worse than the old version according to some people.

DX12 runs significantly worse than DX11 even at the same settings.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Whoof. There's an actor in this game who voices a lot of minor characters and his voice hurts to listen to. His acting is good, but his voice sounds it's painful for him to talk.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pennsylvanian posted:

Whoof. There's an actor in this game who voices a lot of minor characters and his voice hurts to listen to. His acting is good, but his voice sounds it's painful for him to talk.

Steven Hartley? The guy sounds like he's doing a Ralph Ineson impersonation half the time and then he's also Eredin. Dude has some range with that amount of gravel in his throat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Oh drat, I played the hell out of that.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Why did HBAO+ get cut from the DX11/12 versions of 4.0? It looked much better then SSAO and is much less resource-intensive than doing it via RTX. Right now, if you want the next gen features you need to choose between bad ambient occlusion at good framerate in DX11 mode or a good RTX ambient occlusion with a bad frame rate in DX12.

I've got a 3080, 5900x and 32GB of RAM and my fps is in the low twenties with everything maxed out at 4K in DX12.

I know you can play the previous version via the beta branch in Steam, but then you lose the new textures, Ultra+ settings, gameplay QOL enhancements, etc...

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Man, the atmosphere in this game is second to none.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

God loving drat it this game is so loving unstable now. I’ve already had like five hard crashes for no reason, each time forcing me to recalibrate the game and change my gameplay settings. I’m sick of this poo poo.

Also, anyone who uses map rotation with mini maps is bizarre to me. It defeats like literally the whole purpose of having a mini map.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NieR Occomata posted:

Also, anyone who uses map rotation with mini maps is bizarre to me. It defeats like literally the whole purpose of having a mini map.

loving hard agree. You need a hard north on a mini map.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
hmmm silky smooth 14 fps

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I take it the recent patch didn't fix the performance issues, then.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Didn't notice any difference after the big patch in terms of performance and I'm still getting weird coloring on water surfaces.

Got a tiny patch on Steam this morning with no notes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sometimes the de-noiser breaks and my umage looks like it's covered in a layer of gravel. It's weird.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah there was no way my 1060 could handle this, it's alright in performance mode on my PS5 though.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I'm glad I got the new GPU because it's doing pretty well at handling this game. I'm a loving Nerd though and playing it on Linux on a not-Steam Deck and a couple things are still a little broken in Proton, so I'm using the time between now and those fixes to play Witcher 1 and 2.

On the other hand though, the breakages I'm getting are less drastic than what some others are getting and so I really wonder if Proton/Wine/VKD3D - or indeed Linux in general - is actually managing to compensate for some of the problems.

Playing W1 again is making me yearn for the remake. Sexing Vesna Hood was goofy, out of place, and just awful. Finding a weird level of satisfaction in the rhythm game combat though, somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Still nuts to me that I can run Cyberpunk 2077 at max settings but this game brings my rig to its knees.