Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Buschmaki posted:

Maybe I'm always underlevelled but I think leveling STR instead of endurance just for the scaling at 85 is a smart idea. With B or even C scaling you start doing like double the damage. Level VIG to 40 for sure though

Yeah I can see that, it mostly comes down to how offense vs defense do you want to be. Wearing some heavier armor early in the game provides some notable survivability (banished knight or mausoleum knight set are great), but if you're confident at dodging then obviously the extra damage is better. The downside of going low endurance that I notice the most is just running out of stamina after a couple big attacks and having to back off and wait. 3 attacks at 300 a hit deals more than 2 attacks at 400 a hit and then having to wait for stamina regen.

edit: page snipe tax, this is one of my favorite views in the game, the atmosphere oooo

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I just cannot bring myself to play any sort of person game where you can’t jump.

Carrying a sword the size of my body, killing giant monsters the size of houses, but no way am I hopping back up on that ledge I just fell off. Yes I can see over the ledge, yes it’s only about five feet high, but I’m a busy person.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

i am harry posted:

I just cannot bring myself to play any sort of person game where you can’t jump.

You can jump in all soulsborn games. Just not particularly well, or high up.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Mentat Radnor posted:

I'm 99.9% sure that you can, yes. You can just re-apply the weapon's own ash at the smith and then it gives you the option to choose the affinity.

edit - I know I've done this with the Nagakiba successfully by re-applying it's own Piercing Fang and applying Bleed affinity, I'm not sure if any specific weapons have weird edge cases where it's not possible. Obviously Somber weapons can't have their affinity changed.

The nagakiba is a special case. Its default ash is actually unsheathe, but Yura applied piercing fang to it before he dropped it. This sounds like I’m joking but I’m not- there’s a little icon that tells you when a non-native ash is applied and the naga with piercing fang has that.

You can’t remove the default ash from a weapon, only overwrite it. And you can’t apply a new affinity without applying an ash.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Esme posted:

The nagakiba is a special case. Its default ash is actually unsheathe, but Yura applied piercing fang to it before he dropped it. This sounds like I’m joking but I’m not- there’s a little icon that tells you when a non-native ash is applied and the naga with piercing fang has that.

You can’t remove the default ash from a weapon, only overwrite it. And you can’t apply a new affinity without applying an ash.

Specifically, this is the only way to get the Piercing Fang, Spinning Strikes, and Braggart's Roar ashes of war. And because you had to manually remove it from the weapon, unlike those you can purchase, or obtain as a drop reward, it never got flagged as an ash that can be duplicated by Hewg.

It means you can only get one per new game cycle.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Specifically, this is the only way to get the Piercing Fang, Spinning Strikes, and Braggart's Roar ashes of war. And because you had to manually remove it from the weapon, unlike those you can purchase, or obtain as a drop reward, it never got flagged as an ash that can be duplicated by Hewg.

It means you can only get one per new game cycle.

This is such an odd way to handle something.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Sounds like Dark Souls to me.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Observations from my current playthrough:

Great Stars + prelates charge is the most hilarious way to heal in this game I've found so far. Buff that with blood flame blade and and any human-size target that can bleed it simply dies.

I gave lion bow a try and it radahns rain absolutely shreds dragons. Next go round I want to build specifically to maximize this thing and call air strikes on everything.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Control Volume posted:

This is the Elden Ring thread
Elden Ring is Dark Souls II 2, accept it already.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

giZm posted:

Elden Ring is Dark Souls II 2, accept it already.

I have. Tis simply why this game is so good

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Maybe mechanically, but not aesthetically. I liked the starting axe well enough mechanically and played up to entering the foyer of the great chapel, but I started checking the wiki and realized I basically never going to find a reasonable looking weapon.

If you came into Bloodborne expecting to play a no-frills quality build knight you expected wrong

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

No Dignity posted:

If you came into Bloodborne expecting to play a no-frills quality build knight you expected wrong

Yeah; ironically the townspeople in the first zone have a lot of the weapons I'd like. "Hey look a saber, that's a cool 19th century melee weapon, I can't wait till they drop one." Like you say it's just not that game.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is there a character editor floating around or something? I've been doing some multiplayer this morning on a new Wretch and I'm like level 20 and I'm running into people with like starting armor and the Mohg trident, dual-wielded Spires of Helphen, and so on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah; ironically the townspeople in the first zone have a lot of the weapons I'd like. "Hey look a saber, that's a cool 19th century melee weapon, I can't wait till they drop one." Like you say it's just not that game.

Funnily enough, the Chikage is basically one of those (with the caveat that you have the option to soak it in your own magical blood).

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah I mean the whole "trick weapon" concept is sorta central to the plot, so Bloodborne isn't the game to play if you want normal, period-accurate weapons.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I genuinely cannot understand how anyone could pick the starting axe, turn it into a halberd, and then do the charged R2 spin2win combo and not think “goddamn this is so cool, this is so sick, I can’t wait to be disappointed that 2/3 of these super sick weapons aren’t available sooner.” But that’s just me. Also there’s a cane that lets you go Belmont on people? I never used it because dex builds outside of Sekiro are supposed to be real bad but that sounds rad as poo poo too.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Pope Guilty posted:

Is there a character editor floating around or something? I've been doing some multiplayer this morning on a new Wretch and I'm like level 20 and I'm running into people with like starting armor and the Mohg trident, dual-wielded Spires of Helphen, and so on.
Grand Merchant mod is a thing, but simply dropping endgame weapons and gear for low-level characters also works.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

I genuinely cannot understand how anyone could pick the starting axe, turn it into a halberd, and then do the charged R2 spin2win combo and not think “goddamn this is so cool, this is so sick, I can’t wait to be disappointed that 2/3 of these super sick weapons aren’t available sooner.” But that’s just me. Also there’s a cane that lets you go Belmont on people? I never used it because dex builds outside of Sekiro are supposed to be real bad but that sounds rad as poo poo too.

Dex builds have never been bad?

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Have they stopped nerfing PvE every few weeks? I'm old and have bad reflexes so I'm no good at dodging. Has a build emerged that reduces the need to dodge as much? Last time I played I made it as far as Fire Giant, then they nerfed my build and I gave up.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's your build? I stopped for about a year a bit before there and picked it back and finished in like a week. They still haven't nerfed summoning, which was absolutely how I beat both the Fire Giant and the final boss, the ones between I mostly just burned down with comet.

For non magical combat against trash enemies I mostly used a 100% physical resist shield and guard counters, extremely straightforward.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Jack B Nimble posted:

What's your build? I stopped for about a year a bit before there and picked it back and finished in like a week. They still haven't nerfed summoning, which was absolutely how I beat both the Fire Giant and the final boss, the ones between I mostly just burned down with comet.

For non magical combat against trash enemies I mostly used a 100% physical resist shield and guard counters, extremely straightforward.

It was some sort of bleed build. I did have a summon. The mimic thing or whatever it was. I remember it was pretty OP at the time, but fire giant was a huge step up in difficulty.

I'm reading about a build that uses an enormous shield that lets you keep blocking while stabbing things with the shield up. Is it really that simple? Sounds boring, but if it works...

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Books On Tape posted:

It was some sort of bleed build. I did have a summon. The mimic thing or whatever it was. I remember it was pretty OP at the time, but fire giant was a huge step up in difficulty.

I'm reading about a build that uses an enormous shield that lets you keep blocking while stabbing things with the shield up. Is it really that simple? Sounds boring, but if it works...

The shield meta in general is REALLY good in ER.

You don't even need a huge shield. Just anything with 100% block and any weapon with the spear moveset. Boom. Poke poke poke poke pokepokepokepokepokepokepoke

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Books On Tape posted:

This is what I'm doing right now, it's crazy good. You still have to roll sometimes especially before you can get the Fingerprint shield, but if you want to just press the skip button on a boss you can't do better than summon+fingerprint+poison/bleed/rot Antspur rapier shield poking. Your stam bar is a 2nd healthbar and 2-3 stam regen items (turtle talisman, pickled neck, stam tear) stacked means you're just a wall. Just watch out for grab attacks.

A brass shield or lesser greatshield will work just as well, but you'll blow through your stam a lot faster

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

its pretty fun to use shield bash. shield bash has guard frames and you can't be guard broken while using it, so it's a great way to absorb the final, usually most damaging attack in a boss' chain.

vow of the indominable is even more underrated, it's the most reliable way to no-sell all the ridiculous magnetic grabs in the game

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I've been clearing the game this month with a str/end build and a golden great shield that drops from Altus knights, there are many enemies that will punish shielding as a crutch but just as many that take huge beatings from shield counters. There's an iron great shield significantly earlier than that, don't recall where though.

Mimic Tear was nerfed from omnipotent to Really God drat Great. It's your current build but with like 8k HP at +10. I usually do almost every fight once solo for my own personal Soulslike bushido but I got no problem getting that little win button out on repeats I generally dislike. Once you've beaten one Deathrite Bird despite the bullshit colossal two shot aoe they don't really change, you know?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i cant really get over how easy elden ring is with vigor at 30, end at 25, and str at 20, and the zweihander...i just run straight at every giant thing INCLUDING RUNEBEARS and stand beneath them beating the poo poo out of them...my first playthrough was with a character at lvl180 with all sorts of stupid poo poo and weapons and spells...its insane how this feels like cheating and im not using anything special at all.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Doomykins posted:

I've been clearing the game this month with a str/end build and a golden great shield that drops from Altus knights, there are many enemies that will punish shielding as a crutch but just as many that take huge beatings from shield counters. There's an iron great shield significantly earlier than that, don't recall where though.

Mimic Tear was nerfed from omnipotent to Really God drat Great. It's your current build but with like 8k HP at +10. I usually do almost every fight once solo for my own personal Soulslike bushido but I got no problem getting that little win button out on repeats I generally dislike. Once you've beaten one Deathrite Bird despite the bullshit colossal two shot aoe they don't really change, you know?

Manor Towershield is the go-to first for most, it's in Stormveil, 100% phys, greatshield (higher block and will stun light attacks), and requirements low enough that you can wield it pretty soon after starting. I used it until I got the Golden Greatshield which is incredible.

If you're really lucky you can get a Gilded Greatshield from the Gatefront Ruins basically first thing, and that will be all you need the entire game. Higher requirements and weight tho.

Main thing with shields is that guard counters are really, really powerful

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
My only objection to greatshields early on is fashion souls - I don't like the big square ones, and don't feel like they look good with any weapon except a spear. The oval and triangular ones are all fine and dandy, though. The Golden Greatshield in particular looks like a really natural, pleasing upgrade to your old friend the Brass Shield.

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

idk if it's been nerfed, but my first playthrough leaned heavily on raptor of the mists for regular enemies. any non-grab lets you counter it with a jumping attack, and with two curved greatswords that usually causes flinching so you can pull off a couple more L1s. not ideal for huge bosses, but that's what bloodhound step on the other weapon is for. you don't have to shield or even really dodge unless the enemy has a lot of poise, and it feels a bit more engaging than hiding behind a shield (tho I'd recommend keeping a 100% shield just in case)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i am harry posted:

i cant really get over how easy elden ring is with vigor at 30, end at 25, and str at 20, and the zweihander...i just run straight at every giant thing INCLUDING RUNEBEARS and stand beneath them beating the poo poo out of them...my first playthrough was with a character at lvl180 with all sorts of stupid poo poo and weapons and spells...its insane how this feels like cheating and im not using anything special at all.

like when that ensha person attacks you, i was all "oh look everythings dark but you can walk around the whole place still.." so i stood there and opened my inventory and equipped a torch while they stabbed me in the back and stuff and then i just put it in my hand and walked off to explore like they weren't even there

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hi!

I’ve never played a Souls game before and I am generally not good with a controller (Yakuza 0 combat was challenging) but—inspired in part by the GOTY thread—I’ve decided to spend my winter break taking a swing at Elden Ring. Your prayers are appreciated.

I first rolled a bandit, blind, and ended up in a cave somewhere with a boss who really just ended me comically and repeatedly in my starting gear. Decided that I would read the thread advice and watch some videos!

I’m playing an astrologer now, because it’s supposed to be an easier class for a newbie, and have got crafting kit and some recipes, flask of wondrous physick, Torrent, whetstone, some ashes of war that don’t seem useful for mages, and wolf summoning. I’ve also unlocked east and west maps. I think that’s all the progression.

I was trying to get a meteorite staff but kept getting invaded and freaked out such that I died to wildlife twice just before the invader reached me, which was bleakly amusing if expensive in terms of runes. It would be nice to have the power boost to compensate for my pathetic skill issue, but if I don’t manage it in a few tries tonight I’ll probably go back to following the grace path.

Advice welcome! I’ve been putting my runes into int other than buying what looked like essentials from the vendor.

Q: when people talk about bonfires in this game, they mean the memories of grace or whatever where you can rest, right? Or is there a different mechanic around actual bonfires?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bonfires is just what they were called in Dark Souls, they're the same thing.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Honestly you only get one blind playthrough of a game like this. If you find you're dying too fast too often then get more Vig, like 5-10 points more than you think. If you feel weak then explore as much as you can that feels approachable, this game is absurdly huge and layered with stuff to find. Otherwise have a wonderful time and try to keep your questions limited for awhile imho.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 21, 2022

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If you're getting invaded I'd recommend only summoning help right before bosses. Going through the zones co-op means that you'll be open to invasions from other players and if they see they do shitloads of damage to you cause of low VIG or something they'll usually just focus you down

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ditto what others have said about only getting one blind play through, but I'll say generally that all these games have, if not overt difficulty settings, then easier or harder play methods*, and I think you're making a good choice with astrologer. Locking onto an enemy and blasting them down with ranged spells is a great way to keep combat from becoming overwhelming, especially if you combine it with a shield that blocks 100% of physical damage and maybe even a summoned partner (could be your NPC ashes!) to keep bosses/tough enemies busy.

I'll leave the joy of discovery to you but try different spells in different circumstances, I definitely feel like some are better suited to certain situations and enemies and having a little tool box of spells is very satisfying.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks, I’ll keep exploring!

I didn’t think I was doing anything co-op, but I’ll check my settings and creepy finger-related artifacts.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

There are several NPC invaders, you absolutely won't get any pvp from real humans unless you go to the trouble of turning it on with items telling you you're doing it or activating co-op.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh, I thought invaders were always players! I guess I’ll need to get good.

nopants
May 29, 2004
biggest wasted opportunity is that the torrent you start with is all you get. there should have been upgrades you can find to make torrent tougher, improve things like his jump, and give him new abilities. i wish torrent got more hp over the course of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Doomykins posted:

There are several NPC invaders, you absolutely won't get any pvp from real humans unless you go to the trouble of turning it on with items telling you you're doing it or activating co-op.

He might be getting too close to the center of the Aeonian swamp and getting invaded by one of the sisters. The staff is to the west side of the swamp. Torrent can dash through the swamp without building up scarlet rot, so don't feel like you have to utilize the pathway that leads into the center.