Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Expo70 posted:

Yup, he's blowing up with inflammation, oxidative stress and the same way someone with kidney or liver failure does caused by ammonia buildup in the blood, when they're medicated for it.

He's retaining fluid, his hands and wrists are swollen, and he has reduced control of his lower facial muscles visibly in this photograph relative to his body language, which is often amplified to compensate.

Think like the way old rockstars look when they're abusing and you can tell something is seriously wrong. Corroborated this with a few friends in medicine and yeah, this is very obvious.

Fits with the expectation that he's abusing and his history.

Friendly reminder:
While in the short term you can mix ambien with these things, the following (benzos, opioids, cannibis, alcohol) lead to:
  • Depression
  • Memory loss
  • Learning problems
  • Impaired decision making
  • Outbursts of anger

And in the long term?

Benzos, and alcohol will lead to:
  • Glaucoma
  • Raspatory depression
  • Renal dysfunction
  • Liver disease

I would not be shocked to learn he's masking a huge gut by wearing a girdle.

Dude needs to get his life in order. This is pretty stand issue midlife crisis stuff which usually physically scars mogul yuppy graduates into gammon elephants for life, but he's weak willed, spoiled, and stupid enough to let it kill him.

Based on past fluctuations in his body structure, my guess is whenever he has to do "real" work he turns to substances and just hopes the problems go away the same way some uni-students doing medicine maladapt and then quit when faced with actual work after assuming that being titled and stationed would result in a lower workload some how.

Twitter is not worth destroying your health over, mental or physically.

That said, it is pretty funny watching him gently caress himself over for a stupid website where people poo poo glorified double text messages at eachother.

Addendum:
Don't you dare feel sorry for these guys.
Remember:
  • They think empathy is a cult
  • It consists of acting and tests designed to weed out "free thinkers"
  • Every waking moment of their life is a test to see if they "fit in"
  • Kindness is purely performative
  • That other human beings are resources or objects
  • That they are the only mind in existence
  • That its all a simulation
  • They can't stand to be alone with their thoughts for any reason, ever
  • That they want to be alone on a "compound" to pursue an exitarian strategy so they don't have to "maintain the act"
  • This backfires, so they want to make humanity into perfect copies of themselves, seeing empathy as an evolutionary weakness
  • They want the species to "advance" so they can "escape the simulation"
  • All because: because the last they probably felt a shred of it was when their age was in single-digits
  • They probably killed it over something stupid like refusing to stop doing the stupid poo poo they were told to
  • Because of how spoiled and only-child-brained they are
  • They are massive loving losers who make it everybody elses problem

They could literally be fixed with a lego set and 150cg of LSD in three sessions with the right therapist to talk about their childhoods and they microdose it instead because emotions scary so they treat feeling like its an extreme sport for enhancing productivity by loving with neuro-entropy cult fetishism

Occasionally you do meet someone who bumped into the right combination of people and substances, learned to do an empathy and they either take their own lives or just become upstanding individuals and give away almost all of their wealth because they realize how completely loving pointless it is to larp as a dragon

i think you have a point, but i also think this analysis is eerily similar to all the theorycrafting about donald trumps health that started going immediately after he got inaugurated and every armchair enthusiast was suddenly an expert in how to detect imminent medical collapse from photos

which basically means that elons going to truck along for at least 6 years no biggie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

qirex posted:

geohot seems like his whole gimmick is “[large thing] is bloated I’m going to hack a tiny version of it that is better”

sounds like someone who needs to turn their monitor on

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

qirex posted:

it's almost like people who can't work with others have a vested interest in perpetuating the "brilliant jerk" myth
https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/we-fired-our-top-talent-best-decision-we-ever-made-4c0a99728fde/amp/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm bookmarking this one, "Rick was destroying our product faster than he was creating it."

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Decon posted:

Sorry that Twitter engineers had the :airquote: political :airquote: discussion around the gi-loving-gantic rewrite you proposed to the tune of "We can't loving do that with 90% of our people gone."

I had a big ol rant on politics in orgs because I had a similar mindset early on (Focus on good technology not politics) that led to me not being very effective. But you're right that this is probably what it boils down to: he wanted to rewrite a bunch of stuff and probably got told "Yes that would be better technology-wise but its not something thats possible to do right now for these non-technical reasons.

Edit: A lot of leadership also encourage developers to think of the best tech solution and strive to make that happen. Its a thought process that results in better solutions with reasonable frequency, but when it fails it fails hard. In my career I've found it better to optimize for the greatest chance of success rather than the best technical stack. And if someone tells me to design the best technical stack, I'll tell them that they better be willing to burn a lot of political capital to make it happen.

ryde fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 21, 2022

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

4lokos basilisk posted:

i think you have a point, but i also think this analysis is eerily similar to all the theorycrafting about donald trumps health that started going immediately after he got inaugurated and every armchair enthusiast was suddenly an expert in how to detect imminent medical collapse from photos

which basically means that elons going to truck along for at least 6 years no biggie

he is the new guy who will continually wriggle out of jams

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

qirex posted:

it's almost like people who can't work with others have a vested interest in perpetuating the "brilliant jerk" myth

Hey at least there's a myriad of media reinforcing the "brilliant jerk" myth.

*writes bad code and acts like an rear end in a top hat to anyone that questions it* "lol I'm just like Rick Sanchez :smug:"

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Shame Boy posted:

it's actually pronounced "gooeyhot"

thank you, fellow pacific northwesterner

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i think we kind of had a rick too, still getting rid of his stuff 3 years after he quit

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

when my boss 3 jobs ago sat me down and explained that I had to work well with other people to move forward in my career [or even have one dependably] it was one of those magic moments

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

ryde posted:

I had a big ol rant on politics in orgs because I had a similar mindset early on (Focus on good technology not politics) that led to me not being very effective. But you're right that this is probably what it boils down to: he wanted to rewrite a bunch of stuff and probably got told "Yes that would be better technology-wise but its not something thats possible to do right now for these non-technical reasons.

Yeah I don't mean to say it doesn't exist or isn't a problem. People in tech absolutely get attached to their pet solutions/procedures/etc.

Just sounds like boywonder is mad that nobody wanted to live at the office for the next two years in the name of an understaffed rewrite immediately following losing a lot of senior talent when their future with the company is clear as mud anyway.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
phase 1: "the userbase is poo poo, too many bots. need to purge"
phase 2: "the employees are poo poo, too many slackers. Layoffs"
phase 3: "the advertisers are poo poo, WMV infection."
phase 4: "the codebase is poo poo, full rewrite incoming"

what the gently caress did you BUY it for then my good bitch

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

the talent deficit posted:

the funniest bit was an ex-twitch adtech guy explaining to elon that you can't just use the tweet recommendation engine to recommend ads to users because:
* the ad business doesn't work like that. advertisers care more about showing ads to the people they want to target than showing ads to people who will like the ad
* users hate repeated ads; especially in video. advertisers love repeating ads though because it massively increases their effectiveness

elon was just like 'well the advertisers are rational so they will do what is best for us'

advertisers are absolute loving vermin

show me one other field of human activity that spends the entire first chapter of its standard training materials reassuring the would-be practitioner that they are not in fact a malignant tumor on the rear end of humanity

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

attention, and by that metric it's a good buy so far

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Jonny 290 posted:

phase 1: "the userbase is poo poo, too many bots. need to purge"
phase 2: "the employees are poo poo, too many slackers. Layoffs"
phase 3: "the advertisers are poo poo, WMV infection."
phase 4: "the codebase is poo poo, full rewrite incoming"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sapozhnik posted:

show me one other field of human activity that spends the entire first chapter of its standard training materials reassuring the would-be practitioner that they are not in fact a malignant tumor on the rear end of humanity

more of a brain tumor, really

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Sapozhnik posted:

Insurance.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

close. he was mad his account got temporarily locked and he wanted to read his ex's DMs

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Decon posted:

Just sounds like boywonder is mad that nobody wanted to live at the office for the next two years in the name of an understaffed rewrite immediately following losing a lot of senior talent when their future with the company is clear as mud anyway.

Don't forget that you were expected to get this job by providing a free "react one liner" that would provide 'twitter-class' contextually aware username autocomplete.

As someone who has built a few native iOS social media apps (one of which being ev williams funded micropodcasting bs), you're generally not going to do a very good job if it's happening entirely locally. Things are a bit different these days but you're still going to get the best results for the least effort by asking the backend to figure it out from a partial string (and also lets you reuse that effort on other platforms). When I pointed this out to him in the form of a dunk, his stans inexplicably dug up my soundcloud and started leaving comments on what amount to tech demos of new hardware? (just going through each effect type poo poo)

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Yeah, as evidenced by the rumors he's looking to make view count public on every tweet, Elon wanted to own Twitter as the ultimate validation machine, the perfect ego stroker, except that's never how it goes if you're the admin, and by the time he recognized that it was too late and the ink was dry, so now he's going to try very hard to rebuild it into what he hoped it'd be.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Don't forget that you were expected to get this job by providing a free "react one liner" that would provide 'twitter-class' contextually aware username autocomplete.

As someone who has built a few native iOS social media apps (one of which being ev williams funded micropodcasting bs), you're generally not going to do a very good job if it's happening entirely locally. Things are a bit different these days but you're still going to get the best results for the least effort by asking the backend to figure it out from a partial string (and also lets you reuse that effort on other platforms). When I pointed this out to him in the form of a dunk, his stans inexplicably dug up my soundcloud and started leaving comments on what amount to tech demos of new hardware? (just going through each effect type poo poo)

you'll never become the next tekashi69 with beats that lame, dawg

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the view count thing is hilarious because there is no possible way that it will be useful or make sense.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Decon posted:

Insurance.
insurance does SOME useful poo poo outside of dispensing medical care.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol

lmao

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ryde posted:

Edit: A lot of leadership also encourage developers to think of the best tech solution and strive to make that happen. Its a thought process that results in better solutions with reasonable frequency, but when it fails it fails hard. In my career I've found it better to optimize for the greatest chance of success rather than the best technical stack. And if someone tells me to design the best technical stack, I'll tell them that they better be willing to burn a lot of political capital to make it happen.

if somebody on a 12-week barely-paid internship suggested rewriting the entire product, it'd take everything i have to not laugh in their face.

doesn't even matter what reasons they cite.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Main Paineframe posted:

if somebody on a 12-week barely-paid internship suggested rewriting the entire product, it'd take everything i have to not laugh in their face.

It was almost certainly a "How complex could Twitter be?" type of bias. Its just displaying a bunch of text fields amirite? Just basic crud style operations, couldnt be more complex.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
come to think of its its just as likely that he got "political" answers because people didn't have time to walk him through why things are the way they are.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ryde posted:

It was almost certainly a "How complex could Twitter be?" type of bias. Its just displaying a bunch of text fields amirite? Just basic crud style operations, couldnt be more complex.

It doesn't even have a fart app. How complex could it be?

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Nessus posted:

insurance does SOME useful poo poo outside of dispensing medical care.

Yes, I know. It is actually genuinely useful.

I know this because I went to my company's "Insurance 101" classes which spent the first hourish separating the insurance we sell from your Geicos and Kaiser Permanente... i.e. disconnecting the company from the "malignant rear end cancer" feelings one gets after 4 hours on the phone with your health insurance about a claim for health coverage or a prescription (especially if the treatment in question does actually happen to be for malignant rear end cancer).

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
as an aside elon has the same "how hard can it really be?" mentality

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ryde posted:

had a new guy come in last year and start talking about moving everything into an event sourced architecture. once I looked up what that was I shut that down as quickly as I could. we have a pretty basic and standard architecture for a very niche b2b webapp that I think has tops a thousand users a month, there are maybe a few dozen people on concurrently. at the time we had 2 full time developers, me and him. that was definitely a time I was happy to engage in politics

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ryde posted:

as an aside elon has the same "how hard can it really be?" mentality

he just likes the way the germans were thinking in the 1930s okay

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
everyone i know in my circles who has dealt with geohot first-hand has never said anything nice about him

he's a charlatan and klout chaser and is basically unhireable

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

psiox posted:

thank you, fellow pacific northwesterner

never even been to the pacific northwest actually, i just like weird-rear end clams :shobon:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
same, same.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ryde posted:

it's basically the old unix grognard attitude, and it boils down to people not understanding that a lot of that complexity and extensibility is there for a reason combined with "the only valid use case is my use case!"

"why is this bloated login manager loading all of this garbage like sound, fonts, dictionaries, some text input library!?"
"because there are blind people who need screen readers, people who don't speak/read english, people who write text that needs ime support, etc..."

how much of that 'bloated' twitter codebase is so that search works in languages that don't use latin characters? how much of that code is for management and moderation tools?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i've been driving a small campaign at work to enhance accessibility for our docs pages. Mostly trying to teach people to not include code samples via screenshots of that loving vscode thing

"Why does it matter?"

"turn on a screen reader and turn your monitor off. Now try to understand the page"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Captain_Maclaine posted:

*occupants burn to death while frantically hammering on non-functioning doors, all to a cacophony of fart sounds*
"At Tesla we are confident that future models will continue to meet all industry benchmarks concerning safety and reliability."

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah for real. At best I'd tell 'em to go ahead and then ignore them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

i've been driving a small campaign at work to enhance accessibility for our docs pages. Mostly trying to teach people to not include code samples via screenshots of that loving vscode thing

"Why does it matter?"

"turn on a screen reader and turn your monitor off. Now try to understand the page"

there's this blind musician on youtube that demonstrates what this poo poo is like for him by playing a sample of text read back at the speed he uses his screen reader at, which he can understand fine but to anyone who doesn't use one every day is so fast it doesn't even really sound like words anymore.

e: found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDPCJxN3vJ0

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 21, 2022