Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I'm a couple of episodes into Community and so far it's kinda cringe. does it get good or am I wasting my time?

i'd skip to "Football, Feminism, & You" and if that one doesn't grab you it's probably just not your kinda show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
speaking of old NBC sitcoms, I've been rewatching 30 Rock and I forgot how consistent this show is. It probably rivals the golden years of the simpsons in terms of good jokes/minute

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm a couple of episodes into Community and so far it's kinda cringe. does it get good or am I wasting my time?

No it's Dan Harmon. It just turns into the Train Episode from Rick and Morty every episode.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

community is good but its also pretty corny

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Mantis42 posted:

I watched a 20 hour critique of Skyrim

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i'd skip to "Football, Feminism, & You" and if that one doesn't grab you it's probably just not your kinda show

i’d say also just straight up do “Contemporary American Poultry” to get a taste of when they do high concept episodes, but if you still hate it just go ahead and move on

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

speaking of old NBC sitcoms, I've been rewatching 30 Rock and I forgot how consistent this show is. It probably rivals the golden years of the simpsons in terms of good jokes/minute

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

30 Rock was good television, Dennis is one of the better minor sitcom characters in sitcoms IMO

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
community was good but it’s also very much had-to-be-there show that’s Obama-era as gently caress. and you either like it or dont. fwiw the first couple of eps are rough for a variety of reasons

I don’t know how or why anyone would just finally watch it in 2023 for the first time

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Dr. Leo Spaceman is a top-tier sitcom character

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

does the experience of being a driver make you better understand driving scenes in movies? i can hardly tell what’s going on in mi6 sometimes, also other movies with more than a couple vehicles.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Liz, Tracy, Jack, Jenna, Kenneth, and the whole gang, all funny characters

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Grey Fox posted:

Dr. Leo Spaceman is a top-tier sitcom character

oh gently caress yes Dr Spaceman is also Dennis-tier

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Xaris posted:

I don’t know how or why anyone would just finally watch it in 2023 for the first time

its a funny show

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Agreed that Community takes a little while to get going; it's one of those shows with a particularly rough season 1 before they have the character's shticks fully figured out. Jeff and Britta in particular are Generic Male And Female Leads for that season and don't become actual characters until S2

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jeff seems like he should be the author-insert but Abed is actually the author-insert

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

loquacius posted:

Agreed that Community takes a little while to get going; it's one of those shows with a particularly rough season 1 before they have the character's shticks fully figured out. Jeff and Britta in particular are Generic Male And Female Leads for that season and don't become actual characters until S2

It's too bad by S3 half the characters are running out of steam

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

jack "they're a small marxist guerilla, antiamericanism isn't in their dna" ryan season 3 is out
the russians are coming

no, it remains cringe and poo poo

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Xaris posted:

community was good but it’s also very much had-to-be-there show that’s Obama-era as gently caress. and you either like it or dont. fwiw the first couple of eps are rough for a variety of reasons

Included in this classification: The Office, Parks and Rec

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

Included in this classification: The Office, Parks and Rec

I would also note that The Office and Parks and Rec also had super rough first seasons, and P&R also lasted about two and a half seasons longer than it should have. Presumably The Office did too but I wasn't watching by then so I don't know

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I vaguely remember the goon uproar over Pam vomit or something

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Modern family is basicly the zenith of that era. Then tv died.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Femur posted:

Modern family is basicly the zenith of that era. Then tv died.
Modern Family was legit the one thing that managed to put a smile on my face after my mom died

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I wish someone would just release Modern Family cuts for specific family members. Screw everyone else, I want all Phil Dunphy storylines and nothing else

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

also give me the Transformers: Age of Extinction cut that’s JUST Stanley Tucci scenes

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Modern Family was also good but lasted too long, many such cases

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Soviet what

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Xaris posted:

I'm bored and there's nothing good to watch since andor ended.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

loquacius posted:

The Soviet what

Russia is literally run by the people who overthrew the Soviet Union and Hollywood still writes as though 1991 never happened.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

good enough reason

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

season 4 of Barry needs to hurry up and get here

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Here you go

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

loquacius posted:

The Soviet what

it's genuinely worse than 24 on every front

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

This show is dog poo poo. Season 1 was a decade late 1-dimensional 00's era War on Terror propaganda and season 2 was hilarious pro-regime change propaganda in Venezuela so it makes sense that Season 3 is gonna be about scary Russians (incorrectly) trying to resurrect the Soviet Union propaganda and being behind all the West's problems.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

shameless is good as hell, surprised I have never heard of it till we started watching on a whim

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Gresh posted:

This show is dog poo poo. Season 1 was a decade late 1-dimensional 00's era War on Terror propaganda and season 2 was hilarious pro-regime change propaganda in Venezuela so it makes sense that Season 3 is gonna be about scary Russians (incorrectly) trying to resurrect the Soviet Union propaganda and being behind all the West's problems.

the main villains talk about how they miss being feared by everyone and being "the big monster", it's like the script was written by a nyt/wapo op ed writer.

edit: even loving homeland had a moment where the evil fsb agent talks about his brother dying of tuberculosis in 90s russia because everything collapsed and not wanting to go back to that period.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Grey Fox posted:

season 4 of Barry needs to hurry up and get here

I really liked Barry up until the last season were it went full mask off and I loving cheered at the last scene, but I'm all Barry'd out, its such a good stopping point for the series

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Soviets overthrew an empire, I just can't believe the cynical dishonesty behind just casually mashing those two concepts together but of course their audience will eat it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

so in 1970 the Soviet Union shut down a plan to restore the Soviet Union ?