Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Sash! posted:

I don't know what the hell Carnival Magic was actually about

It was about a very talented monkey and also about a young girl falling in love with an older man whom only after repeated viewings I realized was not her father. Jesus Christ, that apparent age difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hazo posted:

I feel like they're still peppering in plenty of Wisconsin/Michigan gags. And there's been at least one Disney World-specific joke in every episode this season. I dunno if that's because of the writers or the cast-- Kelsey Ann Brady was (is?) an Orlando puppeteer and I think some of the writers are too.

There was that joke about the whale cake or whatever it was. I think that one was regional because local goons had to explain it.

In general while I agree the Netflix seasons were flawed and rushed, the nature of humor aging like milk means they generally made me laugh a bit more. Also the fast pace (shorter runtime?) meant that I actually finished the episodes whenever I started them, whereas with classic episodes I tend to start checking out around 2/3rds of the way in (this is a function of the bad movies not the show). My favorite era is still Mike, but I would not say the Netflix era "didn't work".

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
The Christmas Dragon featured a reference by Joel to Longwood Gardens, which is local his current residence outside Philadelphia.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Mantis42 posted:

My favorite era is still Mike, but I would not say the Netflix era "didn't work".
Definitely fair. Seeing the feedback here perhaps I probably shouldn't have been so absolute in the title, as there are definitely high points to S11 and S12. Perhaps 'Had Issues' may have been more accurate.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 21, 2022

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

There was that joke about the whale cake or whatever it was. I think that one was regional because local goons had to explain it.

This is mainly a northeast thing. Having lived my whole life in New Jersey, the state apparently with the second most Carvel locations, I was surprised to learn they’re not everywhere in the US.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Oh yeah fudgy the whale? Hell, Patton Oswalt himself had a stand-up bit about it

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Diabolik900 posted:

This is mainly a northeast thing. Having lived my whole life in New Jersey, the state apparently with the second most Carvel locations, I was surprised to learn they’re not everywhere in the US.

Fudgie the Whale. Those guys at Carvel know what they’re doing.”

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I previously only knew about Fudgie because he was name-dropped in a Jonathan Coulton song.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sardonik posted:

Definitely fair. Seeing the feedback here perhaps I probably shouldn't have been so absolute in the title, as there are definitely high points to S11 and S12. Perhaps 'Had Issues' may have been more accurate.

It was a terrible video and you are bad for making it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I had no idea that Carvel was so regional as I also live in NJ.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I Am Fowl posted:

I had no idea that Carvel was so regional as I also live in NJ.

Yeah it's wild, you see those drat commercials constantly growing up in the 80s

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
On the subject of Carvel:

https://twitter.com/TanookiKuribo/status/1004727282555084801

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think I only ever had Carvel once and yet I can absolutely still taste it

Not that it was so good, it was just regular ice cream. But I know what cookie puss tastes like

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

precision posted:

But I know what cookie puss tastes like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5ohFISLu6U

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

precision posted:

I think I only ever had Carvel once and yet I can absolutely still taste it

Not that it was so good, it was just regular ice cream. But I know what cookie puss tastes like
I grew up and still live in Northern Virginia and always remembered the commercials so last year I finally went and got a Cookie Puss at the Carvel in Arlington. It was OK. It was also like $50+.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I Am Fowl posted:

It was about a very talented monkey and also about a young girl falling in love with an older man whom only after repeated viewings I realized was not her father. Jesus Christ, that apparent age difference.

You're forgetting about the creepy magician who knew the secrets of the universe because he was raised by Buddhist monks in Tibet after his missionary parents were killed by the Japanese in the war.

Also a drunk fat guy named Stoney Martin.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

You're forgetting about the creepy magician who knew the secrets of the universe because he was raised by Buddhist monks in Tibet after his missionary parents were killed by the Japanese in the war.

Also a drunk fat guy named Stoney Martin.

U-S-A! U-S-A!

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Diabolik900 posted:

Yeah I grew up with Carvels in Connecticut. I would assume either Patton or head writer Elliott Kalan (from NJ) pitched/wrote it.

Kalan definitely wrote the Historic Mount Airy Lodge (all you need to bring is your love of everything) gag, they played those ads all the loving time in the tristate area.

Also in the video a Bonnaroo reference was stated as proof that the writing got too bougie which idk, its a fairly popular music festival. Maybe I'm just a bougie guy, but it doesn't seem really out of step for them to reference it. They open Pod People with an Art Chautauqua sketch!

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 22, 2022

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Clouseau posted:

Also in the video a Bonnaroo reference was stated as proof that the writing got too bougie which idk, its a fairly popular music festival. Maybe I'm just a bougie guy, but it doesn't seem really out of step for them to reference it. They open Pod People with an Art Chautauqua sketch!

I might have been a little oversensitive to music festivals, admittedly I've never been to it myself but as an Austin resident the research i did on it gave me ACL vibes in terms of the tone and pricing. Probably should have gone with the Aspen reference elsewhere in Cry Wilderness instead.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 22, 2022

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Bonnaroo too bougie? Man, tell that to all the friends of mine who went there without trust funds.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sardonik posted:

I might have been a little oversensitive to music festivals, admittedly I've never been to it myself but as an Austin resident the research i did on it gave me ACL vibes in terms of the tone and pricing. Probably should have gone with the Aspen reference elsewhere in Cry Wilderness instead.

Maybe you were just wrong and the point you're trying to make is dumb.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

The important takeaway from all of this is that Cry Wilderness is rad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Family Guy made a Carvel joke years ago so it isn't exactly that unknown.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

The important takeaway from all of this is that Cry Wilderness is rad.

Very much so. Even after everything the 'it's not a great map of Australia' and 'looks like their table is ready' gags making fun of the weird luminescent bigfoot pendant loving kill me.

Pointing out the hilariously bad fake tiger prop too, of course.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Carvel is everywhere that doesn’t have dairy queen.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

muscles like this! posted:

Family Guy made a Carvel joke years ago so it isn't exactly that unknown.

As did Archer, S3E7, “Drift Problem”

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bonnaroo was really good and cool in the 00s, early 00s. Back then it was like a southern and much less chaotic burning man. It's been lovely bougie poo poo for a while. Now it's just the southeastern Coachella

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My wife buys me this once a year for the big night game of the year

https://www.safeway.com/shop/product-details.195051068.html

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
RiffTrax unleashed Whizzo the Clown's Christmas Special in its entirety for free a few weeks ago, and I feel like this is a special hell that must be shared to give you ALL something else to worry about. :shepface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs3eaG4xmgU

*COUGH-COUGH*

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Neddy Seagoon posted:

RiffTrax unleashed Whizzo the Clown's Christmas Special in its entirety for free a few weeks ago, and I feel like this is a special hell that must be shared to give you ALL something else to worry about. :shepface:

*COUGH-COUGH*

This is up there with The Guy from Harlem as some of RiffTrax's finest work.

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

*COUGH-COUGH*

Contains one of my favorite riffs
"The closed captions just say 'lucky you'"

MuscaDomestica fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 23, 2022

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

“Hope none of you kids had family in Cuba!”

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
*an item is flung at Whizzo from offscreen, crashing loudly on the floor*

"Resignations were rarely delivered verbally on the Whizzo set..."

When I first saw that and heard that riff, I had to pause the video because I was laughing so hard.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I have seen Whizzo something like a dozen times and I STILL get worried that something is going to go horribly wrong.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I first heard about Fudgie the Whale on an episode of The Office. I didn't know what they were talking about but I feel better knowing that it's a regional thing.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hazo posted:

The Office

my early 2000s grad student office had a Froggy bumper sticker and it's always slightly jarring to see one in that show's titular Office

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

To this day I delight at Kevin's outrage on how they cook a New York strip and the choice of scotch.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Old MST3K loved Carvel jokes. It even gets called out in a few of the Gamera episodes (Tom: "Again with the Carvel?")

We didn't really see it in the pacific northwest until recently, but due to MST3K, I was unreasonably excited when it did.

If we're arguing the merits of Season 11 and 12, I'd put it on par with seasons 1 - 2 of the original run. A couple unwatchable episodes, but more good than bad, and some absolute classics.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

There are also a BUNCH of weird Philadelphia-area jokes in the Netflix seasons. It's just different regional humor as the writers room expands to a national scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Lumbermouth posted:

There are also a BUNCH of weird Philadelphia-area jokes in the Netflix seasons. It's just different regional humor as the writers room expands to a national scale.

Whaddya mean, Mike was from Wisconsin, Kevin's from Chicago, and both Frank and Bill are from Noo Yawk Noo Yawk, it was plenty national :v: