Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BiggerBoat posted:

not a lot of talk this week about the Jan 6th committee but they're really hammering on this bombshell investigation where the FBI muscled Twitter into censoring republicans and it's all coming out now but I don't have much of an idea wtf they're talking about.

A coworker told me that the fbi asked twitter to root out and rat the white supremacists but, according to this guy, we're informed by Twitter that they couldn't find much of anything. Which sounds like bullshit
When you bring up things like white supremacy to conservatives they're pretty quick to DARVO it away:

-White Supremacy doesn't really exist outside of an irrelevantly small minority of cranks

-Focusing on white supremacy is just a red herring by the left because they don't have legitimate grievances and have to go make things up.

-It is in fact the liberals that are the real racists because they push CRT and demand colleges segregate students and they never listen to conservative people of color.

Then all they have to do is mash a tone deaf liberal next to a conservative black person to frame the entire topic as insincere towards people of color, though I don't know if anyone that didn't already agree with conservatives will actually buy into this tactic from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

There's one single instance of Prager "U" being correct. A video of a history professor from West Point, a colonel in uniform, going over the original documents of secession and newspapers of the time to show that yes, indeedy, the Civil War was about slavery and racism.

No idea how it got in there and made part of their lineup. Maybe they saw white, decorated, middle-aged man in uniform and thought "He's one of us! Green light!" without really listening to what he was saying.

But it is so juicy to call up an official Prager "U" video to show "Actually it was about state's rights" idiots. They can't deflect it as lying mainstream liberal media and the squirming is delicious.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

not a lot of talk this week about the Jan 6th committee but they're really hammering on this bombshell investigation where the FBI muscled Twitter into censoring republicans and it's all coming out now but I don't have much of an idea wtf they're talking about.

A coworker told me that the fbi asked twitter to root out and rat the white supremacists but, according to this guy, we're informed by Twitter that they couldn't find much of anything. Which sounds like bullshit

Maybe a rehashed telephone-game version of the supposedly dramatic release twitter files (which actually flopped hard)?

MrUnderbridge posted:

There's one single instance of Prager "U" being correct. A video of a history professor from West Point, a colonel in uniform, going over the original documents of secession and newspapers of the time to show that yes, indeedy, the Civil War was about slavery and racism.

No idea how it got in there and made part of their lineup. Maybe they saw white, decorated, middle-aged man in uniform and thought "He's one of us! Green light!" without really listening to what he was saying.

But it is so juicy to call up an official Prager "U" video to show "Actually it was about state's rights" idiots. They can't deflect it as lying mainstream liberal media and the squirming is delicious.

Do you have any idea who this was? I know/knew a reasonable number of West Point history faculty and it would be hilarious if it was one of them (but not so much that I want to go searching PragerU videos).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Probably just a relic of the days when GOP propaganda was more about reminding us that they're the party of Lincoln and that Democrats were the real racists who loved slaves and being in the KKK, and what made the former confederacy start voting Republican, not important probably just a principled commitment to low taxes, strong foreign policy, and wholesome family values

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 21, 2022

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I'm not familiar with the video in question, but I'd bet it was Ty Seidule.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fighting Trousers posted:

I'm not familiar with the video in question, but I'd bet it was Ty Seidule.

Apparently it was indeed Ty Seidule

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

MrUnderbridge posted:

It lines up with the whole "Racism is already solved, shut up" method, though.

Having someone credible on saying that YES, it was about slavery let's them segue into "See? The war was about racism, the racists (democrats!) lost, so it's over! Today's racists are the guys tearing down confederate statues!"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I wonder if a big part of Prager U's appeal is the tone and visuals of the presentations. I had relatives post Prager U videos on Facebook (where I first saw them) and the way they speak and simple imagery seem good for laundering some pretty horrific opinions and values to credulous audiences. I mean aside from our own woke wunderkind children :smug: you think the typical six grader will easily be able to parse the messaging they are delivering?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Panfilo posted:

I wonder if a big part of Prager U's appeal is the tone and visuals of the presentations. I had relatives post Prager U videos on Facebook (where I first saw them) and the way they speak and simple imagery seem good for laundering some pretty horrific opinions and values to credulous audiences. I mean aside from our own woke wunderkind children :smug: you think the typical six grader will easily be able to parse the messaging they are delivering?

PragerU's charts are pretty fun. They're pretty, but batshit.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s made to look like an educational video and anyone with half a brain cell would be able to see past it but that’s not the people it is targeting. It’s like those fake billionaire funded organizations that make up their own statistics so outlets can quote them as if they were scientific studies. Yea buddy Badass American Institute of American Social Good Policies sure went through vigorous scientific studies to verify that, yes in fact, illegals are stealing all of our taxpayer money. I just hate it so much, it’s not even clever propaganda.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

So... did it hit zero in 1970 or 1980? DESIGN YOUR CHARTS BETTER, DENNIS!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Right Wing Media: You know what? I'll just use the cancer gun.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Having a hard time interpreting that y axis.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

nine-gear crow posted:

So... did it hit zero in 1970 or 1980? DESIGN YOUR CHARTS BETTER, DENNIS!

I just realized the zero lines up pretty much on the dot to when the speaker in that video entered art school.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

This just in: Art was never about personal expression before 1960.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

All this talk about Prager U and I'm constantly reminded of Shaun's series of videos about them.

Here's the first one if you're not up on (I believe former goon) Shaun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM7BgrddY18

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

mojo1701a posted:

All this talk about Prager U and I'm constantly reminded of Shaun's series of videos about them.

If he's who I think he is, he's still around.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The Venus of Willendorf, totally not a woman's personal expression, was really a statement about patriotism and white Jesus.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

mojo1701a posted:

Old Goons never die, they just post better.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Panfilo posted:

When you bring up things like white supremacy to conservatives they're pretty quick to DARVO it away:

-White Supremacy doesn't really exist outside of an irrelevantly small minority of cranks

-Focusing on white supremacy is just a red herring by the left because they don't have legitimate grievances and have to go make things up.

-It is in fact the liberals that are the real racists because they push CRT and demand colleges segregate students and they never listen to conservative people of color.

Then all they have to do is mash a tone deaf liberal next to a conservative black person to frame the entire topic as insincere towards people of color, though I don't know if anyone that didn't already agree with conservatives will actually buy into this tactic from them.

You left out Antifa, BLM and the Soros soldiers burning down police stations.

Dude I posted about mentioned a name I'd never heard before that I intended to look up but forgot what it was. Struck me as Illumantti Soros Adjacent. Garos? Maybe? Something like that having to do with NWO and one world government.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Maybe a rehashed telephone-game version of the supposedly dramatic release twitter files (which actually flopped hard)?

I dunno but the radio guys are really on about it. Smoking gun type stuff of the FBI forcing Twitter to censor Republicans but I can't make much sense of it and, frankly, didn't subject myself to much of this supposedly explosive story that the MSM won't report on.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 22, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This would be more accurate if it were labeled "art reduced to advertising and marketing the products of the industrial revolution instead of contributing to culture" but what do I know with my fancy pants fine arts degree living high on the hog over here?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

This would be more accurate if it were labeled "art reduced to advertising and marketing the products of the industrial revolution instead of contributing to culture" but what do I know with my fancy pants fine arts degree living high on the hog over here?

Only if you put a sticker of a Campbell soup can saying “I did that” over the intersection with the x axis.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

In this moment, in these trying times, we are all Shaun.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Seems like those two are basically the same since it still starts with the assumption that art only contributes to culture when it's funded by a patronage system and made for a wealthy audience, then makes a dismissive lumping of what replaced it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think there is possibly something to be said about how the invention of photography made the skill of realistic portrait painting relatively useless and potentially shifted those sorts of painters to other styles, but that's not even slightly related to that graph.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
These Prager U videos are so dumb.
"Gender isn't real" OK lmao
https://twitter.com/KayleeDMcGhee/status/1604848915274137600?t=kDnmtzY6yDhT-BdSFmAQbQ&s=19

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’ll just assume she’s saying that a gender binary is an arbitrary social construct that we can and should destroy to live free, meaningful lives. I agree!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

https://twitter.com/TallBart/status/1602162458696654849

Thanks to this account I'm never going to get the phrase "Penis Prager" out of my head. He's just going to be Penis Prager to me from now on.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Oh, so I found a write up on the FBI CENSORS CONSERVATIVES ON TWITTER stuff that talk radio has been hammering

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/20/media/elon-musk-fbi-twitter-reliable-sources/index.html

Elon Musk claims the FBI paid Twitter to ‘censor info from the public.’ Here’s what the Twitter Files actually show

quote:

Elon Musk is misleading the public — again.

The embattled billionaire, perhaps seeking to distract from the chaos he has wrought at his social media company, is making grossly misleading claims about Twitter and the FBI. And those claims are being blindly amplified to millions by Fox News and the rest of the powerful right-wing media machine which seems to have no interest in the pesky truth and instead has repeatedly shown they’ll contort stories to fit preconceived and erroneous narratives.

In a tweet Tuesday, Musk wrote, “Government paid Twitter millions of dollars to censor info from the public.” As supposed proof, Musk shared the latest installment of the so-called “Twitter Files” published the day before by environmentalist and writer Michael Shellenberger.

Which is to say that the money Twitter collected had nothing to do with censoring anyone. The money was simply given as reimbursement for the processing of legal requests, similar to how a journalist might have to pay a fee for a government agency processing a Freedom of Information Act request. As Alex Stamos, the former chief security officer at Facebook and partner at the cyber consulting firm Krebs Stamos Group, wrote Tuesday, “This is absolutely nothing to do with content moderation.”

But facts be damned in the world we now live in. Musk’s claim has absolutely saturated right-wing media. If you rely on Fox News or talk radio or one of the online outlets that makes up the constellation of right-wing media, you likely believe the biggest scandal since Watergate is unfolding. A sitting Republican congressman even said on Tuesday he was in favor of halting “all funding” for the FBI over the story. And the poisoning of that information well is also confusing others, who hear the nonsense and aren’t sure what to believe.

So, like I suspected, more bullshit. Twitter collected reimbursement money for processing legal requests. That's it. That's the whole bombshell story.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If he's who I think he is, he's still around.

I just didn't remember if he stopped posting like some other more-known goons or not.

BiggerBoat posted:

So, like I suspected, more bullshit. Twitter collected reimbursement money for processing legal requests. That's it. That's the whole bombshell story.

Yep, I've basically tuned out anything and everything to do with the "Twitter files" because it turns out to be a whole heaping pile of nothing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

"gender isn't real" and proceeds to define gender to suit her needs. Yep, that's a Prager U video.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
No such thing as gender affirming care, says the woman with manicured eyebrows, makeup, and blond hilights.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think Dr Phil is nearly as stupid as Dr Oz is
Dr. Phil helped make Danielle Bregoli a millionaire

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

No such thing as gender affirming care, says the woman with manicured eyebrows, makeup, and blond hilights.

The only moral gender presentation is my gender presentation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FilthyImp posted:

Dr. Phil helped make Danielle Bregoli a millionaire

And then got ripped a new rear end in a top hat by her, because he sent her to an abuse factory and claimed he didn't know what was going on.

He really, really is that stupid.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

PT6A posted:

And then got ripped a new rear end in a top hat by her, because he sent her to an abuse factory and claimed he didn't know what was going on.

Well, yeah. His PH is in il.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

mojo1701a posted:

Yep, I've basically tuned out anything and everything to do with the "Twitter files" because it turns out to be a whole heaping pile of nothing.

As expected the Twitter Files are nothing more than blatant misrepresentation of mostly innocuous events or even completely contrary claims to what are shown to push a false narrative. They're directed at the crowd that never clicks the links to verify that the evidence says what it supposedly says and as such are absolute fodder for Hate Wing Media.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PT6A posted:

He's been sending children to those kinds of "troubled teen rehab" horror camps for the entire run of his show, and there's no way he was unaware of the abuse that goes on there. Victims have been telling their stories for decades. He was selling kids to abusers for profit and fame, and he knew it. gently caress Dr. Phil. Stupid or not he's evil.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lemniscate Blue posted:

He's been sending children to those kinds of "troubled teen rehab" horror camps for the entire run of his show, and there's no way he was unaware of the abuse that goes on there. Victims have been telling their stories for decades. He was selling kids to abusers for profit and fame, and he knew it. gently caress Dr. Phil. Stupid or not he's evil.

Oh, absolutely. It's deranged poo poo, she's not the only case, but honestly: good on her for gettin' paid, and using her celebrity (even if it's only acquired for a profoundly stupid reason) to draw attention to that poo poo.

He's a rich rear end in a top hat who's made a lucrative career out of at best exploiting, and at worst abusing, troubled people, including children, at some of the worst points in their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Is there a TV doctor anywhere that's even worth a poo poo?