Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Vintersorg posted:

That album came out just after I graduated high school and it's all I listened to as I was lost in this stupid little world.

So are we all, vintersong, so are we all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I bought Kid A on release day at a Walmart in Kingston NY. It was a nice sunny day. I listened to it in my car.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

my partner and i have finally splurged on a fancy UTurn turntable after the cheap one i bought quick when the old all-in-one stereo i had used for 20 odd years crapped out, crapped out. i am excited for the acrylic platter and the other doodads that may or may not make any difference whatsoever.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I think I like amnesiac better than kid a. They’re both awesome though

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I’m gonna rank them and you can’t stop me

In rainbows
Amnesiac
Ok computer
Kid a
Moon shaped pool
Hail to the thief
King of limbs
The bends
Pablo honey

It sucks that the days of them being an active band are over, I don’t think any of the side projects have really moved me at all. My favorite thom album is the eraser ffs

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I think I like amnesiac better than kid a. They’re both awesome though

It’s much better.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Megabound posted:

Couple of codes, autechre LP5 and OK Computer

does ur LP5 skip on side C? mine does and it makes me so sad

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

CatBlack posted:

does ur LP5 skip on side C? mine does and it makes me so sad

Thankfully it does not, or I do not know it well enough to know if it does.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Oh good, it's been a while since I've posted in the Radiohead Ranking Thread.

My list is broken up in thirds. Basically every three albums can be arranged in any order, based on how I feel on any given day.

Top Three
In Rainbows
The King of Limbs
Kid A

Solid 2nd Tier
OK Computer
Amnesiac
The Bends

Final Third (just kidding Pablo Honey will always be dead last)
A Moon Shaped Pool
Hail to the Thief
Pablo Honey

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I also got a vinyls today.

And here it is alongside my older copy of Manawave which is just as good.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
When I think of a particular band that I like (not gonna say it) I'm not really able to rank them, as I find all have their place, though if I were forced to do so it would be much closer to "depending how i feel that day."

My point is, are you radiohead fans of the mind that "even their lessers are still great, but something has to be less and this is it" or do you genuinely feel like pablo honey is dogshit

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ballz posted:

I also got a vinyls today.

And here it is alongside my older copy of Manawave which is just as good.

:popeye:

My friend ordered me that Ween triple live for Christmas. They sent her an email saying it wouldn't go out until mid-January. I sent her screenshots of caligulalamprey's post where it came in last week and she fired off an email and they wrote back repeating that it was delayed but she could get a refund :) she's on it but how the actual gently caress does that happen? That preorder went up five weeks before street, that means they had to have their order in at the pressing plant like back in June. You either have them or you don't? Why are some people getting them by street and not others?

Edit: And they got copies for record stores. Incredible

https://twitter.com/amoebamusic/status/1604223709471973380

Meanwhile, MY order from that Jeepster Black Friday sale is still pending. I bought said friend a copy of BBC Sessions, and myself a fresh copy of Storytelling and the red pressing of Sinister. Two of the three have this message next to them on the order page

quote:

This item is currently awaiting arrival of the stock. We are working as hard as we can to have this available as soon as possible.

Mind that these are not new, they are 2014 pressings. Dunno why you don't have your stock on hand before having a big sale, did you not know Black Friday was coming up? Anyway cool job delaying Christmas. I've never had shipping problems in six years of ordering from Jeepster before, so I apologize to anyone who bought from them on my advice and is experiencing the same thing. Hopefully we all get our dumb big plastic discs soon

You know who DID deliver in time for Christmas? Your friends and mine, the Golden BootS

Came in Saturday, ordered on the 6th. They don't put poo poo on sale before they have it on hand. Good people. :clint: A copy of Night Drives 1 in a bespoke jacket, a compilation CD of their 2019-2021 EPs and singles*, and a couple cool patches. Thanks guys!

*Except Man Foo Tits - Seulement In It, which was a "secret" single

pwn fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 20, 2022

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

pwn posted:

When I think of a particular band that I like (not gonna say it) I'm not really able to rank them, as I find all have their place, though if I were forced to do so it would be much closer to "depending how i feel that day."

My point is, are you radiohead fans of the mind that "even their lessers are still great, but something has to be less and this is it" or do you genuinely feel like pablo honey is dogshit

Pablo Honey is an adequate, if not entirely forgettable album that has a couple of above-average songs on it like Blow Out. It gives absolutely zero foreshadowing of what the band would go on to create in the ensuing decades.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

I like Pablo honey. It’s great

pwn
May 27, 2004

That's good to hear. I'd hate to think they had an actual bad album.

In other news, from 1975—

Suggested soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOCNqQJhJJ4

pwn fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 20, 2022

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

pwn posted:

My friend ordered me that Ween triple live for Christmas. They sent her an email saying it wouldn't go out until mid-January. I sent her screenshots of caligulalamprey's post where it came in last week and she fired off an email and they wrote back repeating that it was delayed but she could get a refund :) she's on it but how the actual gently caress does that happen? That preorder went up five weeks before street, that means they had to have their order in at the pressing plant like back in June. You either have them or you don't? Why are some people getting them by street and not others?

I just had to double check to make sure I actually pre-ordered, but I haven't received mine either.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ballz posted:

Pablo Honey is an adequate, if not entirely forgettable album that has a couple of above-average songs on it like Blow Out. It gives absolutely zero foreshadowing of what the band would go on to create in the ensuing decades.

yeah, pretty much this

anyone can play guitar might be my favorite radiohead song, but it's almost nothing like the rest of their business

p.h is strenuously okay

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Meanwhile, the obscure pride of my vinyl collection is… my album. Pressed to clear vinyl. It sold astonishingly poorly, but who cares. Back in the 80s I remember laying in front of the record player thinking how loving amazing it would be to have an album of my own. My own music, my own cover art, all of it.

8 year old me would think I’m pretty bad rear end, even if nobody else did.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Y'all like Sam and Max? Y'all like jazz? Then scoop one of these; mine is arriving today. :dance:

https://store.skunkapegames.com/product/sam-max-save-the-world-soundtrack-vinyl

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
So we really doing this? Oy.

1. In Rainbows
2. OK Computer
3. A Light For Attracting Attention
4. The King of Limbs: Live from the Basement
5. The Eraser
6. Hail To The Thief
7. Kid A
8. A Moon Shaped Pool
9. The Bends
10. Pablo Honey
11. Anima
12. Amnesiac
13. Tomorrow's Modern Boxes

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay so I have not been deliberately collecting audiocassettes but the latest fad in synths has kinda overtaken me, I got a couple old cassette players and went out in search of amusing cassettes, bam, this shows up at the thrift store. Has a lot of the books, in good condition. This is about 50 years old:

And no big deal, but I actually remember this one, I don't think Disney would mind if we all forgot it though:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Good lord what the hell

pwn
May 27, 2004

How is babby tarred

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hot Diggity! posted:

Good lord what the hell

You may be too young to remember when Disney published that one. I can't really remember myself, but I have some recollection of the book nonetheless.

I've been really impatient at the thrift stores and haven't found anything worth waiting in the checkout line for. So unfortunately I don't have any good records to show off RN. These are probably going to be used for playing around with vaporwave techniques. I got a badass cassette deck, I'll probably try running some of these through the vocoder at various speeds and stuff.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 22, 2022

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I have low hopes but Amazon had the new Birds in Row LP for $20 where all other copies plus shipping are nearly triple that so rollin tha dice

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

pwn posted:

How is babby tarred

Babby is made of tar.

I really don't know the story of this but it was one of those racist things your granny might have somewhere tucked away. There's probably a more specific meaning and story behind all this.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

petit choux posted:

You may be too young to remember when Disney published that one. I can't really remember myself, but I have some recollection of the book nonetheless.

I've been really impatient at the thrift stores and haven't found anything worth waiting in the checkout line for. So unfortunately I don't have any good records to show off RN. These are probably going to be used for playing around with vaporware techniques. I got a badass cassette deck, I'll probably try running some of these through the vocoder at various speeds and stuff.

Goddamit, I always misread it as vaporwave. :doh:

VVV :dance: (but in a chopped n skrewed way)

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 22, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

Goddamit, I always misread it as vaporwave. :doh:

Nono, that's what I mean, sorry!

ED: Correction made above

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I am not really knowledgeable about the genre, but that's what I know I can rely on you for info about.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
My Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne boxset came in and I gotta say, presentation wise this might be the nicest thing I have vinyl-wise. It looks gorgeous (sorry some of the pics are a tad blurry/out of focus). I'm not sure how it sounds, the soundtrack for the PS2 game and recent remaster is notoriously compressed sounding, so it might sound lovely but it's still a great soundtrack and this set is awesome.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

petit choux posted:

Babby is made of tar.

I really don't know the story of this but it was one of those racist things your granny might have somewhere tucked away. There's probably a more specific meaning and story behind all this.

It's from Song of the South. Oddly, I mentioned remembering I had this book and tape in another thread a few minutes ago.

Song of the South was rereleased a few times, the last in 1986. Considering the age of this, this was probably in there because Disney had a couple of big rereleases of it in the 1970s.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I remember seeing Song of the South in theaters back in 1986 and it was really loving weird then, too.

Eventually they changed the tar to honey when Splash Mountain opened, but that whole thing's getting overhauled to Princess and he Frog now.

Bring back Keith David.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Song of the South is one of Disney's most shameful and worst kept secrets (though their use of horrible racist caricatures is hardly exclusive to that movie). Though funny enough they actually have a restored version of the movie in their archives despite having no intentions to ever release it on home video.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

https://twitter.com/ElSatanico/status/1605544732280516608?s=20&t=emNvzlOETRKAcBwOdKu0NA

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caligulamprey posted:

I remember seeing Song of the South in theaters back in 1986 and it was really loving weird then, too.

Eventually they changed the tar to honey when Splash Mountain opened, but that whole thing's getting overhauled to Princess and he Frog now.

Bring back Keith David.

Yeah my dad took me to see it in 86. He must have had me by himself and was looking for any age-appropriate thing to waste a few hours at

Although my parents took me to tons of age inappropriate movies back then, so who knows.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like I recall that TE is just rebranding that and you can buy it from the OEM for cheaper?

Maybe I dreamed it

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I feel like I recall that TE is just rebranding that and you can buy it from the OEM for cheaper?

Maybe I dreamed it

It is a rebrand of the the Gakken Toy Record Maker. It used to be cheaper, I don’t think it is anymore though. Thing is pure trash.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Nightmare Cinema posted:

So we really doing this? Oy.

1. In Rainbows
2. OK Computer
3. A Light For Attracting Attention
4. The King of Limbs: Live from the Basement
5. The Eraser
6. Hail To The Thief
7. Kid A
8. A Moon Shaped Pool
9. The Bends
10. Pablo Honey
11. Anima
12. Amnesiac
13. Tomorrow's Modern Boxes

Why is everyone underrating the Bends? It's wall to wall bangers. Is it because you need to get the b-side Talk Show Host? Is that it? Because I love the Bends.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Why is everyone underrating the Bends? It's wall to wall bangers. Is it because you need to get the b-side Talk Show Host? Is that it? Because I love the Bends.

I haven't rated it personally, but it's very different sounding from the rest of their discography. Sounds a lot like Nirvana. Not that that's bad, but if someone is rating In Rainbows as their favorite, I can see how they might not rate The Bends as highly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Cemetry Gator posted:

It’s good but a lot of the songs make no impact. Planet telex rules

Also the person you quoted has amnesiac as the worst Radiohead album and that is the opinion of a twisted lunatic.