Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Bell_ posted:

Heck of a time for me to open up this thread again!

I lost interest in the Marvel comics shortly after Hickman ended Secret Wars. I followed The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel for a bit longer, but I've been away from those for several years now.

I'm here because while playing Snap, I was curious about Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur; the premise seemed amazing.

How much have I been missing out on since 2016?

Gwenpool
finish usg
unstoppable wasp
all new wolverine/X-Men red
immortal hulk
black widow (2020)
Hickman's X-Men
Ewing's New avengers/USAvengers
Ewing's Ultimates
Ewing's Defenders/Defenders Beyond
Kate Bishop Hawkeye
Patsy Walker aka hellcat
spider-woman (2015)
black cat
avengers - no surrender

site fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

site posted:

Gwenpool
finish usg
unstoppable wasp
all new wolverine/X-Men red
immortal hulk
black widow (2020)
Hickman's X-Men
Ewing's New avengers/USAvengers
Ewing's Ultimates
Ewing's Defenders/Defenders Beyond
Kate Bishop Hawkeye
Patsy Walker aka hellcat
spider-woman (2015)
black cat
avengers - no surrender

This is just a really solid list. Seconded!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Gotta read Hellions. It is simply required.

Gillen's Mr. Sinister is only matched by Wells' Sinister who is constantly startled by Nanny.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

cant believe KNULL isnt on the list

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that black cat backup lol

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

site posted:

that black cat backup lol

Perfect in every way

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Love seeing The Thing's poker night pop up in the comics.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Yesterday’s dc output was great with Nightwing and World’s Finest and today’s Marvel has two Vulpes books! Great week.

I have a question for Vulpes regarding Strange so don’t anyone else read it!

Will the next issue of Strange show Revenant Sentry using his signature pistols?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Can anyone give me some context for Black Cat and Mary Jane? I haven't kept up with Spider-man stuff ever since he had like radiation poisoning or something and went to a hospital for a long time, which incidentally was when the last MJ and Black Cat book happened. I gather MJ left him? It seems like this story is part of some larger event about living objects. Anything I should know about that? According to the introduction text a clone of Jean Grey became queen of Limbo. I don't really follow X-Men stuff either, but isn't that Magik's job?

The comic itself was cool. Lot's of fine art and great action shots. Also I like that Tony is a common acquaintance now.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 21, 2022

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Can anyone give me some context for Black Cat and Mary Jane? I haven't kept up with Spider-man stuff ever since he had like radiation poisoning or something and went to a hospital for a long time. I gather MJ left him? It seems like this story is part of some larger event about living objects. Anything I should know about that?

The comic itself was cool. Lot's of fine art and great action shots. Also I like that Tony is a common acquaintance now.

We don’t know the context yet.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Joe Fisto posted:

We don’t know the context yet.

As in what's going on with those water tower monsters, or why MJ left Peter?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i was wondering why mj had cait sith limit breaks for powers

magik gave control over limbo to maddie pryor, she decided to attack earth with ben reilly

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

site posted:

i was wondering why mj had cait sith limit breaks for powers

magik gave control over limbo to maddie pryor, she decided to attack earth with ben reilly

That sounds regrettable.

I am excited for MJ doing some super hero things. Her power seems a bit fickle, but it's not like she has a way to manipulate probabilities to tame it, right?
That's the sort of synergy which feels like it's an exploit.

So is Peter actually back together with Felicia nowadays? Or is she just feeling guilty because she flirted a bit?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 21, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"What's going on with MJ????" has been an ongoing storyline/mystery in Amazing Spider-Man and I think this is the first time they've actually shown her using powers, so you're just as clued-in as anyone else as far as that goes.

Felicia and Peter have been flirty, but not really together as of yet.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Huh, that is a bit of an unsatisfactory answer to my questions. Sort of flying on a plane for the first time and asking excitedly around how it works, only to find out that nobody else knows it either.
But thanks for clearing that up I guess.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 21, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been enjoying Wells' ASM, but that's by far the least enjoyable subplot and I wish he'd get into it (which maybe he will now that it's coming out here).

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

I've never been a big fan of the 'bad thing happened but we won't say yet what it was' plotline.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Joe Fisto posted:

I've never been a big fan of the 'bad thing happened but we won't say yet what it was' plotline.

Yeah, it's kind of a shame both Spider-Man and FF have that same thing going on, but bother are otherwise excellent and hopefully North will answer it sooner than Wells has.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a shame both Spider-Man and FF have that same thing going on, but bother are otherwise excellent and hopefully North will answer it sooner than Wells has.

I'm assuming North will after he does all the FFs intro stories. We've just got Johnny's to go.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Joe Fisto posted:

I'm assuming North will after he does all the FFs intro stories. We've just got Johnny's to go.
I spoiled myself with the descriptions of the upcoming comics for that one and it sounds like that's the case, yes.
Those books have been really god so far.
MacKay, Zdarsky and North just get comic book writing.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 21, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

What's everyone's opinion on Nu Secret Invasion? I'm kinda digging the one upsmanship happening in the books. Also I thought Skrulls were generally good people now? Or is this a thing where we have a TV show coming up so we need the adjacent book as well?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Jiro posted:

What's everyone's opinion on Nu Secret Invasion? I'm kinda digging the one upsmanship happening in the books. Also I thought Skrulls were generally good people now? Or is this a thing where we have a TV show coming up so we need the adjacent book as well?

I like it so far. Cloak and dagger stories in an environment of god killers always feel fun. As to the morality of the Skrulls: Unless some specific named ones are involved, it could always just be a rebelling faction.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jiro posted:

It confirms squirrel girl is a AAA list hero so I'm okay with it

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

Can anyone give me some context for Black Cat and Mary Jane? I haven't kept up with Spider-man stuff ever since he had like radiation poisoning or something and went to a hospital for a long time, which incidentally was when the last MJ and Black Cat book happened. I gather MJ left him? It seems like this story is part of some larger event about living objects. Anything I should know about that? According to the introduction text a clone of Jean Grey became queen of Limbo. I don't really follow X-Men stuff either, but isn't that Magik's job?

Regarding the X-Men stuff, this event is a pseudo-sequel to the original Inferno crossover event, where the demons of Limbo invaded New York, possessing and bringing to life multiple inanimate objects. Daredevil famously fought a vacuum cleaner during it despite that comic not crossing over much otherwise. It was an important story point for Madelyn Pryor, who first took on her villainous Goblin Queen persona after she sold her soul to one of the demons, as well as Magik who defeated her demonic corruption and reverted to a child. That last part was largely undone due to later stories, after her younger self died to the legacy virus and her older-self returned due to magic, time travel shenanigans.

Jiro posted:

It's interesting, though may not be a comic geared towards me. Waiting to see where it goes before forming a strong opinion on it. I do suspect it mainly exists to market the show, but I'll happily read anything Ryan North puts out.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Jiro posted:

The writing is snappy and I trust North but it's so full of reversals and twists that I'm going to wait until the end to judge it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I mean, I think it's pretty obvious what happened from the context clues we've been given so far, re: Peter and MJ. Obviously Galactus abducted MJ because she is a redhead and since Marlo was also a redhead and is the new Death now by the transitive property we can assume MJ is going to be the new Galactus. Peter tried going to the FF for help since they are Galactus experts but wasn't able to find it because they were off world dealing with their own mysterious backstory that will be explained later, so he tries going to the X-Men because they are space experts and is told to gently caress off because he's not a mutant. So he turns to Norman Osborn and together they reverse engineer a Cosmic Nullifier replica that Spider-Man can threaten Galactus with. He steals a space ship from the FF and tracks down Galactus. The wannabe Nullifier goes wonky and explodes, creating that crater we see at the start of the run, and also imbues MJ with gambling powers. Galactus fucks off because of bad writing and everyone is now mad at Spider-Man for messing with powers beyond his understanding (and theft). MJ's new boyfriend and kids are because Wanda tried to help and wound up pulling a Speed and Wiccan, only on somebody else this time because of MJ's compulsive gambling habit she's picked up from all that Cosmic crack.

It's so simple and easy to understand, I don't see why nobody else hasn't pieced it together yet.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Gologle posted:

I mean, I think it's pretty obvious what happened from the context clues we've been given so far, re: Peter and MJ. Obviously Galactus abducted MJ because she is a redhead and since Marlo was also a redhead and is the new Death now by the transitive property we can assume MJ is going to be the new Galactus. Peter tried going to the FF for help since they are Galactus experts but wasn't able to find it because they were off world dealing with their own mysterious backstory that will be explained later, so he tries going to the X-Men because they are space experts and is told to gently caress off because he's not a mutant. So he turns to Norman Osborn and together they reverse engineer a Cosmic Nullifier replica that Spider-Man can threaten Galactus with. He steals a space ship from the FF and tracks down Galactus. The wannabe Nullifier goes wonky and explodes, creating that crater we see at the start of the run, and also imbues MJ with gambling powers. Galactus fucks off because of bad writing and everyone is now mad at Spider-Man for messing with powers beyond his understanding (and theft). MJ's new boyfriend and kids are because Wanda tried to help and wound up pulling a Speed and Wiccan, only on somebody else this time because of MJ's compulsive gambling habit she's picked up from all that Cosmic crack.

It's so simple and easy to understand, I don't see why nobody else hasn't pieced it together yet.

Well, obviously, that's the Occam's razor approach and was my first interpretation. I just wanted to know if any writer wrote something different or unintuitive in their personalized version of the canon.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So Comixology vanishing kinda put me off comics for a few months. I loved their guided view.

Is Marvel's digital comic reader any good? Been thinking of reading Miller Daredevil.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When you're in the comic it's quite good (in the middle of Miller's Daredevil myself, actually!) but some of the navigating or going back to what you want can be finicky and annoying.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lobok posted:

When you're in the comic it's quite good (in the middle of Miller's Daredevil myself, actually!) but some of the navigating or going back to what you want can be finicky and annoying.

That's good to hear, thank you.

If you're interested, I really recommend this book Frank Miller's Daredevil and the Ends of Heroism

Here is a sampling of quotes to see if you'd interested in more or not: https://community.cbr.com/showthread.php?95071-Frank-Miller-on-Batman-Superheroes-Etc&p=2799047

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm just going to say it, I think Bendis' Daredevil is better than Miller's. He's clearly standing on the shoulder of a giant, but he reaches higher hights.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
I'm cool with MJ's new powers as long as she goes by Jackpot

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Janepot

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Tigerjack

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lead Pipe Gal.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

It has to be this

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Only if she has Brass Knuckles that spell out Jackpot whenever she throws punches.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I'm just going to say it, I think Bendis' Daredevil is better than Miller's. He's clearly standing on the shoulder of a giant, but he reaches higher hights.

Only if we're not counting Born Again, because it's that good. I can see the regular run, though.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Synthbuttrange posted:

Lead Pipe Gal.

This is the greatest Marvel comic I've read in years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Does Black Cat still have bad luck powers?

Then MJ is allowed to have luck powers (in the form of a slot machine), kinda reminds me of the dial H stuff.