Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Speartip had grown to be a successful fortress, established directly between goblin pits and a dark tower. At first, only occasional invaders and beasts appeared. That wouldn't last forever, though, and eventually the dwarves were facing wave after wave of cavern invaders, along with some surface invaders. Mostly they handled it fine. The grizzly and elephant squads proved to be handy.

Then two forgotten beasts showed up almost in tandem to make things hectic. The dwarves handled them, albeit with moderate losses.

Moments later, however, a flame-throwing beast arrived in the caves. The flames lit the cave forests on fire almost immediately, an ill omen. But some cave invaders came as well, and they worked on each other as the dwarves stood by and cheered. After the battle, the beast proving victorious, we met the horrid thing at the surface, where it was put down, but at significant cost. Ultimately it was the children that saved us: for whatever reason, they continually poured out of the gates, past the beast, and ran for the horizon. The distraction kept the best from making its way to the heart of the city until we could prepare.

Not even having rebuilt the militia, we were greeted with another forgotten beast. This one, much like the last, spat flame. But unlike the last, this came by the surface, a great skinless bat, which immediately launched hundreds of feet into the air, raining hellfire down on the surface portion of the fort. Eventually, it came to ground, and entered the fort itself. Obliterating the food and booze stores, the remaining militia, careening about the great hall, destroying the kitchens and stills, and anyone foolish enough to remain.

Nobody remained with skill to combat the thing, and even if they did, all the weapons were now jumbled among the corpses littering the great hall. Fists wouldn't do it.

But claws might. Claws, and tusks.

No trained war animals had survived of course, but the grizzly and elephant farms had been extremely productive this year, having had to be expanded several times to make space. Dozens of bear cubs and elephant calves, almost a hundred all told. A desperate plan was crafted by the surviving farmers in the northern tunnels. They knew the livestock only remained in the pasture by mandate and, left to their own, they would seek the activity of the great hall. It was the only hope. So the gates were thrown open, the pasture abandoned, and the animals set to wander.

Almost immediately, approximately 80 bears and elephants, most of them young, began to march on the great hall.

And, against all odds, and almost as quickly, the fight was over, and a great skinless bat lay smouldering in the ruins of the kitchens.

From 200 dwarves to 60, saved by a horde of baby bears.

Speartip lives on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And in the midst of it all, a dwarf has claimed a clothier's shop and began creating something of alpaca wool and countless gems...

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

uPen posted:

Seriously gently caress trees! Embarking in a forest is seriously dangerous as you just constantly get logs powerbombing through your whole fort. Had another tree launch three (3) logs through my moat floodgates, down through the tavern (killing an unlucky dwarf this time) and into the cistern.

This time it was during one of the like 3 months out of the year where it's warm enough that the moat is actually liquid so with the floodgates gone AND a 3 tile wide hole directly into the tavern I immediately lost the fort since it was flooding from both ends simultaneously.

Anyone who says I should just stop cutting down all the trees is a goddamn elf.

IMO, the best way to play a forest embark is to forge everyone a battle axe before you dig a single tunnel (bring materials on embark) and then clear cut the entire map, never have to worry about a collapse accident after you get all the clear-cutting out of the way

if you want to prevent future growth, give everyone pickaxes after you clear-cut the surface and hollow out the entire floor below the surface z-level, you're not going to need more trees after cutting down all the initial spawns anyway

Griz
May 21, 2001

Decrepus posted:

Has anyone had a subterranean elephant? Do they still eat so much they cannot survive?

I have 5 (thanks humans) and they're fine sharing a pasture with all the alpacas

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Decrepus posted:

Has anyone had a subterranean elephant? Do they still eat so much they cannot survive?

CHIM of Armok

Yes and the just saved my entire* fort.

*34%

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Well, I think my fort has reached that level of success and prosperity and general stability that means it's time to go find some Hidden Fun Stuff and then probably start a new one after this inevitably goes very bad.

I might go for a deep fortress on my next one, like just dig straight down immediately and build the whole fortress down by the magma. Have like the trade depot and maybe a tavern for visitors near the top and then everything else deep, and close off the actual entrance between my fortress and the trade depot with a series of drawbridges so I can dump invaders (or other visitors) into a pit at my leisure.

Also leave an empty floor above a tavern/temple leave for my dwarves and blanket the whole thing in mist generators

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

Well, I think my fort has reached that level of success and prosperity and general stability that means it's time to go find some Hidden Fun Stuff and then probably start a new one after this inevitably goes very bad.

I might go for a deep fortress on my next one, like just dig straight down immediately and build the whole fortress down by the magma. Have like the trade depot and maybe a tavern for visitors near the top and then everything else deep, and close off the actual entrance between my fortress and the trade depot with a series of drawbridges so I can dump invaders (or other visitors) into a pit at my leisure.

Also leave an empty floor above a tavern/temple leave for my dwarves and blanket the whole thing in mist generators

Make a giant winding rampway down to the magma layer caged in class so surface-dwellers can take in the sights on their way down

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's a bittersweet sorrow to lose a legendary Swordsmaster you watched grow since embark

I'm super sad he died. I'm super pleased he died fighting 4-6 people, all except 2 which he managed to kill, all the while blocking bolts with his shield, parrying attacks with his sword, sending limbs and skulls flying and only dying because he passed out from exhaustion to the point that a scourge user could get a bunch of cheap shots in while a goblin gnawed at his head. And he still regained consciousness and tried again before the dark took him at last. :black101:

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

I had quite a nail-biter of a fey mood today, involving having to slap down not one but two glass smelters (and channel some magma, and scrounge up magma-safe materials), learning how to gather sand from the other end of the map, waiting for the harvest and processing of a single plant of ring tail, always hoping no one else would snatch the materials at any of the steps along the way, the moody dwarf running up and down 60+ z-levels to gather stuff because my fortress is a mess that I built near the surface but actually want to be way down in the depths...

And then she hits me with this? I'm disappointed.

I mean, come on... Grossulars?

Griz
May 21, 2001

deep dish peat moss posted:

Make a stockpile that accepts Finished Goods with maximum Bins set to 0. Make a garbage stockpile or a second Finished Goods stockpile down the hall. Make dwarves haul the unbinned finished goods back and forth forever to encourage stealing. (this is kinda fiddly and tedious sometimes but it seems to be taking care of Acquire Item needs)

they seem to prefer "acquiring" more valuable stuff, they mostly ignored the endless bins of -turtle shell ring- early game but now that I'm cranking out high quality gold jeweled things half of them go missing between the workshop and the export stockpile

this one dude is wearing $7k worth of jewelry and half of that is a single triple-encrusted earring that's worth more than a bunch of crappy artifacts

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Have a tavern with instruments and mugs/goblets stocked in chests + a performer assigned (do NOT assign a tavernkeeper)

Whats bugged with tavernkeepers these days?

e; Posted before reading, a classic mistake

someone itt pointed out that tavernkeepers keep dwarves' mugs constantly filled, which leads to dwarves drinking to the point of being drunk and belligerent (causing brawls and fights and things). Without a tavernkeeper, they only drink to sate their thirst, and it keeps them all in line gets them cycling out of the tavern to other activities more often.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 22, 2022

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Aw had my game crash out to the desktop. Hope my save is good i liked my peaceful plains fortress.

No murderous trees

animist
Aug 28, 2018
A necromancer diagnostician came to my fort as a citizen and started raising my dead dwarves as "empty ghouls". They are actually quite friendly although they don't seem to move very much.

I made the mistake of sending him to my corpse pile to see if he would raise the other citizens. He did, but he also raised the dead forgotten beast that was lying there, which promptly murdered most of the resurrected ghouls and a few of the guards. Also some of the citizens came back as regular zombies and tried to kill everybody.

Now I'm pondering what the ideal resurrection facility would look like if there's a chance your dwarves can come back as zombies. Maybe a retracting bridge behind fortifications over the magma sea... Could be good marksdwarf practice too.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Why am I occasionally having random dwarves die of dehyration? I have a functioning well in my fort, not even far from where they've died. Six of the seven starting dwarves in my previous (first) fortress drowned so that I could learn how to do this properly. Why are dwarves still dying?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Wafflecopper posted:

Why am I occasionally having random dwarves die of dehyration? I have a functioning well in my fort, not even far from where they've died. Six of the seven starting dwarves in my previous (first) fortress drowned so that I could learn how to do this properly. Why are dwarves still dying?

This happened to me last night. I was out of buckets. Granted there were buckets of water in the hospital, but I guess they only do it with a freshly filled empty bucket.

Check the log for interrupted jobs, it'll say like Shorast Fishfucker: Give water cancelled because [no bucket/no water]

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Dwarves can't steal anything, its a commune.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

skooma512 posted:

This happened to me last night. I was out of buckets. Granted there were buckets of water in the hospital, but I guess they only do it with a freshly filled empty bucket.

Check the log for interrupted jobs, it'll say like Shorast Fishfucker: Give water cancelled because [no bucket/no water]

I was getting that alert a while back, I think for immobile dwarves who couldn't walk to the well on their own, until I made a work order to make sure I always had buckets on hand. Not sure how to check the log but I haven't had any of those alerts in a while. I'm pretty sure the latest dwarf to die of dehydration was mobile. They weren't in my hospital and I have no idea how they would have theoretically lost the ability to walk. The only hostiles to get in to my fort have been goblin thieves/pedos who've been swiftly put down and none of their bodies were anywhere near where the last dwarf died. None of them were very recent either.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 22, 2022

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

M_Gargantua posted:

Dwarves can't steal anything, its a commune.

Yeah! I have a scribe who wears a 4k pair of gloves.

I haven’t had a single fight in my tavern and I’ve had a tavern keeper for hmm 11 years.

Others have already posted this and man it works great. Mine has hosed up assembly boxes but I’ll fix that later. Sorry about your bedroom captain of the guard and but not the mayor he can go gently caress himself with his obsession on making backpacks.

mst4k fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 22, 2022

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

mst4k posted:

Yeah! I have a scribe who wears a 4k pair of gloves.

I haven’t had a single fight in my tavern and I’ve had a tavern keeper for hmm 11 years.

Others have already posted this and man it works great. Mine has hosed up assembly boxes but I’ll fix that later. Sorry about your bedroom captain of the guard and but not the mayor he can go gently caress himself with his obsession on making backpacks.

Dwarves love mist. My next fortress I'm putting these like, everywhere.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Anyone have a good write-up/video on mist generators they'd recommend? I am not very engineering-inclined even if my dwarves might be.
edit: actually it looks somewhat simple based on this wiki diagram. You have screw pumps in a circle on the z-level above your tavern or whatever, something like statues below, designate a pond tile to be filled to get the water started... I'll have to try it out in my next fort.

Clocks fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 22, 2022

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Clocks posted:

Anyone have a good write-up/video on mist generators they'd recommend? I am not very engineering-inclined even if my dwarves might be.
edit: actually it looks somewhat simple based on this wiki diagram. You have screw pumps in a circle on the z-level above your tavern or whatever, something like statues below, designate a pond tile to be filled to get the water started... I'll have to try it out in my next fort.

This video is pretty good

https://youtu.be/5IYsQ9FjtfA

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

A simple mist generator is to just allow a leaky light aquifer to flow down through some grates around one of your staircases. Easy to make if you had to dig through an aquifer to get to your fortress. If your stairwell is a high traffic area, every person in your fort well get a "aw drat a waterfall! :3:" thought in their profile. They also don't mind getting water dumped on them, despite how rain makes them feel.

On tavern keepers -- maybe the over-serving is an old bug? I've got two tavern keepers and all I've noticed are lots of rumor sharing and lots of 'inebriation" thoughts. No fights or alcohol poisoning over 4.5 dwarf years.

Wafflecopper posted:

Could be a lack of buckets as mentioned, but dwarves would much rather drink alcohol. If you don't have a farm set up yet, set a couple dwarves to gather plants; unless you're in a wasteland, they'll find berries and stuff they can brew into wine, which will keep them happy and hydrated.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Appoda posted:

ICould be a lack of buckets as mentioned, but dwarves would much rather drink alcohol. If you don't have a farm set up yet, set a couple dwarves to gather plants; unless you're in a wasteland, they'll find berries and stuff they can brew into wine, which will keep them happy and hydrated.

I've got plenty of booze, not far from the well or latest dead dwarf

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Wafflecopper posted:

I had a couple of dwarves die of dehydration too, one while literally standing in the middle of the booze stockpile containing hundreds of drinks with a clean well a three second walk away.

For the first death I just chalked it up to a bug. It seemed like all of the fort's tasks just kind of got hung up, miners not mining etc., and a quit-and-reload fixed it.

For the second death (this was the dude in the middle of the booze stockpile) all I could glean was that he was absolutely *furious* at only having one type of alcohol to drink since for that embark I'd been only fermenting plump helmet wine for a while. If true, then on one hand I gotta respect his dedication to getting hosed up on varied hooch but on the other hand that is the absolute dumbest hill to (literally) die on.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

mst4k posted:

This video is pretty good

https://youtu.be/5IYsQ9FjtfA

Here's a new video he just put out on the ring style mist generator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srhSdvKXJjs

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
I'm more than 40 pages behind the thread (having too much fun playing to read it as much), but I just stumbled over this sad story and had to share my grief.

Poor little guy.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

:gonk:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Crackmaster posted:

I'm more than 40 pages behind the thread (having too much fun playing to read it as much), but I just stumbled over this sad story and had to share my grief.

Poor little guy.

Not sure what I'm supposed to be reading into this story. The dwarf wants to hang out more but cant because...?

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
Oh, sorry, I meant he's got the "socialize" activity while standing in an empty room. I know the feeling, I empathize with the fellow.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Hmm. I don't think I've had a vampire yet, but is dehydration the death message if they're drained of blood without any witnesses?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
A Plump helmet man is visiting my fort.

Hopefully he doesn't start asking about my dwarven wine industry

e: thinking about it, can I brew him? I want to brew the plump helmet man and serve him to my dwarves

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 22, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Dehydration can mean lack of drinkable, lack of a path to drinkable, or went insane and can't remember to drink.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

StarkRavingMad posted:

Dwarves love mist. My next fortress I'm putting these like, everywhere.

I'm on Version 2 of my waterfall fort (after the V1 got flooded in winter when the river rose 2 levels due to an ice wall) and yes, dwarves LOVE mist so much I carved rooms at every level just behind the waterfal so it sends mist everywhere around behind. The added bonus of the watefall is that dwarves love mist AND love watching a waterfall.

Like the free version of the ring mist generator posted earlier

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Appoda posted:

Hmm. I don't think I've had a vampire yet, but is dehydration the death message if they're drained of blood without any witnesses?

No, the message you will get there is something like "X has been found dead, drained of all blood!"

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I remember in the past, it was considered ideal to have your dwarves work all the time to prevent them from ever making friends, so they wouldn't be sad if a friend died.
I think that's also been fixed now? Since dwarves with very few/no friends will tend to develop negative thoughts about not getting to spend time with friends.
So, make sure your dwarves actually get off-time to socialize and make friends.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

nielsm posted:

dwarves with very few/no friends will tend to develop negative thoughts about not getting to spend time with friends.
So, make sure

ANY DWARF WHO IS LESS THAN ECSTATIC GOES INTO

THE PIT

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've started sending dwarves with a bad attitude on constant missions to raid/intimidate other civs. Almost everyone already hates me anyway.
At least they can't tantrum in my fort while they're away.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

PDP-1 posted:

I had a couple of dwarves die of dehydration too, one while literally standing in the middle of the booze stockpile containing hundreds of drinks with a clean well a three second walk away.

For the first death I just chalked it up to a bug. It seemed like all of the fort's tasks just kind of got hung up, miners not mining etc., and a quit-and-reload fixed it.

For the second death (this was the dude in the middle of the booze stockpile) all I could glean was that he was absolutely *furious* at only having one type of alcohol to drink since for that embark I'd been only fermenting plump helmet wine for a while. If true, then on one hand I gotta respect his dedication to getting hosed up on varied hooch but on the other hand that is the absolute dumbest hill to (literally) die on.

Had you had any dwarves injured recently? Dwarves that have had both hands disabled will bring a cup to a barrel and then stand there until they die, because they can't use the cup. You can save them by forbidding every cup in the fort, this will make them drink directly from the barrel. (Or just expel them to another site)

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

no one likes to get rained on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I envy anyone who's having trouble containing their cat and dog populations... mine can't seem to survive long enough to breed at all.
After buying a breeding pair of cats and ditto dogs from the caravan a few months ago, both those cats have been killed now. One by attacking elves, the other by a tantruming dwarf in prison.

I've also got a 4 year old kid with a (by description) constant state of internal rage, who keeps tantruming too, despite appearing to otherwise be fine. I'm considering locking the door to his bedroom next time I catch him sleeping there, he has caused way too much destruction already.