Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I don't think there is anything about Ranjit that makes him bad, it's just Videogame Things. It feels more egregious when the enemy is a guy or even a really tough guy instead of a magical demon lord or whatever but any time a baddie is in the same physical space as the player you have to work very hard to sell the idea that you wouldn't just loving murder them ASAP. Videogames almost never do this and just have your guy stand around like a loving idiot as the bad guy says some poo poo and casually strolls away. Maybe Ranjit should have taunted us from behind bulletproof glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1605816116483215360?t=Tw4Egj_u0f3Zw2SG_4hveg&s=19

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

first he took the catgirls' butts, now he's after nophica's big naturals. will no one stop this man?!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1605847971018309632?t=R-r1eYvCak3dT4lxNSdupQ&s=19

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I will never stop opening chests

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

But I must feed my gacha box habit

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

writing that text meant pushing more buttons than occasional press of 'pass'

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

who the gently caress is scraeming "STOP OPENING CHESTS" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never stop opening chests

But seriously, gently caress that person. They can just ignore loot like 90% of my ex roulettes do and never click any buttons.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I continued opening chests.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Found a solution to boring Prae runs: make someone else do it:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Them you find out the cat is a better player than you

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

My static has already claimed that we only got our P8S clear on Monday because of my cat, so I'm basically halfway there.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

who's this fool who doesn't need as many GC seals as they can get their hands on?? someone without retainers or something??

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016

1stGear posted:

I continued opening chests.
Good.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

I’ve had this happen before, it’s such a weird experience. I will never stop opening chests I need those loot boxes

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

If you don’t want any loot you don’t even need to press any buttons. Just let the timers run out and then leave as soon as you’re done.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

hopeandjoy posted:

If you don’t want any loot you don’t even need to press any buttons. Just let the timers run out and then leave as soon as you’re done.

If everyone else passes this can lead to all the loot being dumped in your inventory when the timers expire and ick

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

who's this fool who doesn't need as many GC seals as they can get their hands on?? someone without retainers or something??

My shameful pvp achievement chasing has me awash in ventures from wolf marks, my gc points are purely for gatcha crates now.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The only bad thing about dungeon chests is that gsm/ltw/wvr are overrepresented in dungeon gear so my other desynth skills aren't keeping pace.

And also the market has become saturated with GC box minions so it's getting pretty rare to gatcha something worth more than 1000 gil.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Phase 1 is extremely bad imho. The random, bifurcated mechanics pattern makes it really hard to get consistent practice on a particular part of the fight.

This is the closest my group has come to breaking up. DPS got burnt out while the healers were still trying to figure out everything while dealing with the random mechanics.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Thundarr posted:

The only bad thing about dungeon chests is that gsm/ltw/wvr are overrepresented in dungeon gear so my other desynth skills aren't keeping pace.

And also the market has become saturated with GC box minions so it's getting pretty rare to gatcha something worth more than 1000 gil.

For some reason the ARR ones are worth more than HW. I'm also chasing, like, one single mount out of the huge pile of possible drops.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I hate people who open chests and then don't roll on the item. Sort of annoying when you're leveling a job in the X6 range and tome gear isn't BIS anymore. It's not a huge deal though.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Just a Plague Bringer chest, that's all I'm asking. Please.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I feel like I'm developing a taste for Black Mage. The job really lights up at 60. People talk about it reinventing itself every ten levels but I don't see it. It's just that before 60 (50 and below especially) it's a tedious experience of spending too much time pooting out Fire 1 and not enough else. At 60 you start to see the true job because:

(1) You're learning to make decisions about Ley Lines placement and timing,

(2) Sharpcast makes you more active in weaving abilities and banking/utilizing instant casts rather than passively praying for Firestarter or Thundercloud procs, and

(3) Your rotation still has Fire 1 in it but now it's a tool for managing a timer that actually requires attention, so you're learning the concept of fitting spells in while maintaining Astral Fire. (Plus Fire 1 now interacts with Sharpcast as said.)

(4) Also obviously Fire 4 and Blizzard 4 make the rotation look cooler. No more sad little Fire stream and Blizzard 1 rests in peace.

Far as I can tell from a guide I read the play at 60 is strongly similar to the play at 90; you just have Polyglot magic to throw in, Triplecast as Swiftcast Mk II to weave, and when you're capped you get to finally replace lame old Fire 1. Black Mage is interesting because it has almost no actions that are to be pressed on rote cooldown. I understand Amplifier is like that at the highest levels but that's it. Manafont kinda has that vibe but I know it should wait to be used after Despair for Fire 4 + Despair rather than literally fired off ASAP. Ley Lines, Triplecast, and Sharpcast all have discretionary aspects in maximizing their value that allow you to develop and display skill, particularly with the limited opportunities for ability weaving the job has. Also the guide says you can viably gear for Critical Chance or Spell Speed at top play, which is so cool to me because it seems like everybody else is just "stack crit, no decisions." It's intriguing compared to a lot of other DPS.

I have questions for the experienced Black Mages though. One, this icyveins guide says to preferably Sharpcast Thundercloud, though there's nothing wrong with Sharpcast Firestarter. Why? Both procs give a free instant cast. Thundercloud gives the equivalent of the full DoT as a bonus up front, which is (35 potency * 10 ticks) 350 potency right? Firestarter gives a Fire 3, which is (260 * 1.8 Astral Fire) 468 potency and helps you keep the AF timer running, right?

Plus you only have a 40% chance of Firestarter when you use your lone Fire/Paradox in AF to refresh timer, whereas 10% chance per tick for 10 ticks means a (1 - (.9^10)) 65% chance to get Thundercloud, so unless I hosed up my math you can trust to luck for Thundercloud more than Firestarter...right?

Does plugging in the Fire 3 slow something down in the rotation so your DPS gain is counterbalanced, or what?

Two, how do you like to weave abilities? I've taken to Ley Lines after an element change because half cast time Fire/Blizzard 3 seems to leave enough time for a oGCD. Sharpcast too. Swift/Triplecast though, it seems like I always end up clipping a little by using them after a Fire 4 because it's always like "oops time to move" and I'm not prepared. Should I drop an instant cast GCD instead when it's time to scoot and Swift/Triple on the move then? I clip myself using Manafont at the end of AF phases a lot too.

Three, this isn't a real question but what jerk wrote the Flare tooltip to say "All MP" without mentioning the secret minimum cost?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
As I understood it, you use the sharpcast exclusively for thunder to ensure the dot is always rolling without ever having to devote cast time to it. Also the opener/rotation ensures that a sharpcast will be always up to recast thunder without overcapping your sharpcast stacks.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
The math for Fire 3 should be [Fire 3 potency - Fire 1 potency], since you're using it in place of Fire 1 for your rotation. So it's only a gain of 144 potency to use it for Fire 3 as opposed to just casting Fire 1, while that 350 potency from Thundercloud is just free damage.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Thunder maths out slightly better, but Sharpcast optimization is a pretty minor boost to overall potency, and you can get away with just mashing it on cooldown and trusting that you'll hit Thunder or Fire sometime before it fades.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Sharpcasting Thunder vs Fire is actually really complicated and varies depending on a lot of different circumstances and you should just focus on keeping Sharpcast on cooldown/not overcapping it and not worry too much about the minutia of what you should use it on unless you are really heavily optimizing.

On weaving, that's something that gets a lot easier as you level up and get more instant casts. At 60 it kinda sucks because all you have are UI Fire 3/AF Blizzard 3, procs and Swiftcast, but by level 90 it's not too difficult to hit all your cooldowns on time without clipping.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

The reinventing itself mantra was more true pre-ew although it was a bit of an exaggeration. It did used to have some slightly unintuitive stretches but making the 0mp cost for opp element baseline helped smooth that out, along with the nerf to freeze.

BLM can gear like that because it’s damage is the most linear of all DPS classes which means sps has tangible gains from casting more fire 4s instead of just being a tool to fit into a specific window

The fire starter vs tc proc is somewhat more nuanced than that, owing to my earlier remark about linear your damage output is to fire 4. There’s honestly a giant rabbithole you can go down here, I’m not sure there’s a good summary. Keep in mind at 90 you have multiple shqrpcast charges and the tc proc timer is now very long so you can make every thunder cast sharper and still finesse some fire starters in too. Something you might have not considered is there’s a gain to doing paradox, transpose, f3p when going out of ice in order to get the af1 bonus applied when you’d otherwise be casting a weak f3

That said it’s generally more important to be maintaining AF and correctly weaving that eeking out marginal gains on sharpcast usage anyways

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I you really are super greedy for those chests and GC seals what you do is NOT open the chests... until the dungeon is done and everyone else has left. Then you /return and run back through popping the chests and allll the loot is yours since you're alone now.

Way too much effort though.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

BLM is secretly the best job. Sit your rear end down and explode poo poo

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
What happens if nobody opens chests? We've done 2 dungeons now and the other 2 humans ignored the chests entirely and we weren't sure what proper protocol was tbh.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

People ignore chests, particularly in low level dungeons, because they don't care about the look and would rather not have to bother with the clicks needed to pass on it. But it's fine to open them yourself.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Kharmakazy posted:

What happens if nobody opens chests? We've done 2 dungeons now and the other 2 humans ignored the chests entirely and we weren't sure what proper protocol was tbh.

Dont worry about it. You have the newbie leaf, open chests, ask questions, do whatever. People expect sprouts to be sprouts, meaning being new to everything.

Later on, if you need things for that level or you don't, you can turn in gear for a currency to exchange for exclusive gear and items, so open all the chests and greed on what you cant wear or dont need. The turn ins unlock after you join a grand company later and gain rank.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 22, 2022

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I recently got Mhach as BLM and got nostalgic for not having a million on-demand instant casts. Strangely satisfying to see a dozen meteor towers pop up and thinking "wow, that looks like a problem for someone who gives a gently caress". Just planting my feet and turreting, mashing Manaward so I don't have to dodge the aoes, getting mad at healers for saving me from myself. It's great.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If nobody is opening chests and you want what's in them, just leave them closed until the end of the dungeon. Once everybody leaves the group you can return and run through the empty dungeon getting all the chests without competition.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kharmakazy posted:

If literally nobody opens the chests, no one gets the stuff that might be in them. If someone opens them, but no one casts lots, the loot goes to the last person in the instance. Later on, there's a series of short dungeons (1-2 packs of enemies and a boss fight) that only drops tokens you turn in for gear back in town. The gear is outclassed by the time you get to it, and the aesthetic value is fairly low as well. As I went through them for the story, after the boss died I'd get this overlapping chain of victory fanfares as everyone left before I finished watching the cutscene and everything in the chests dropped into my inventory.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

dumping trash on the sprout in the Alexander raid as I head out the door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Chest gear can be exchanged for GC seals.