Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

How can I clean a liquid spill out of car seat fabric? I tried white vinegar but the stain came back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

kalel posted:

How can I clean a liquid spill out of car seat fabric? I tried white vinegar but the stain came back

Do you have access to a vaccuum cleaner that can handle liquids? If so it's easy enough to use suitable cleaning products and enough water to rinse properly and repeatedly, and just hoover up almost all the water from the foam under the seat fabric. Whatever doesn't end up in the vaccuum air dries pretty quickly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Random question:
I'm an AMA member, which is weird because I haven't ridden a motorcycle in probably ten years. But, it gives me access to towing of my car for $50/year.

I've looked AAA and it's membership is $60 for "towing to a service provider" and $100 for 100 miles of towing.

Is there any other this kind of membership for a cheaper annual cost?

Now that I'm typing this, I should look at what my car insurance covers...

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

kalel posted:

I’ve had good luck with a product called Tough Stuff

e: sorry, Tuff Stuff

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is a strut assembly replacement (all 4) on a Honda Element any more complicated than a Toyota Matrix? I just volunteered my time, space, and tools to a friend without checking to see how much work it would be. I did my wife's Matrix last year and it went just fine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Doubtful, Elements are just embiggened CR-Vs. I did all four on my '13 CR-V and didn't have any real issue with any part of the process.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Uthor posted:

Now that I'm typing this, I should look at what my car insurance covers...

For State Farm, our Roadside Assistance is $2.22 for six months. $3.24 for the older car. Seems a bit silly to even charge for it.

We used it for a tow on a Sunday a few months ago and it was fine. The guy was good but they had him drive from 45 miles away so it was a long wait. The car was stuck in park so it wasn’t an easy tow but he did the job.

We also used it once for a unlock job and they were clearly just paying a kid to do it. They gave him some tools and an app that showed techniques for each car. We got in but it was 50/50 that he was going to shatter a window first.

So YMMV.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

smackfu posted:

For State Farm, our Roadside Assistance is $2.22 for six months. $3.24 for the older car. Seems a bit silly to even charge for it.

Gonna definitely contact my State Farm, then!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

smackfu posted:

We used it for a tow on a Sunday a few months ago and it was fine. The guy was good but they had him drive from 45 miles away so it was a long wait. The car was stuck in park so it wasn’t an easy tow but he did the job.

We also used it once for a unlock job and they were clearly just paying a kid to do it. They gave him some tools and an app that showed techniques for each car. We got in but it was 50/50 that he was going to shatter a window first.

So YMMV.

Lockouts can be real tough depending on the make / model of course. I’ve had to call once before and luckily got the dude that clearly has done 1000 similar lockouts previously. I would hate seeing them use an inflatable air bag or something on a nice car I owned, that may screw the jambs and seams and waterproofing for life of the car, you’re literally bending the drat door.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I tried to do some poking of the electrical problems on the Tucson and reached past my point of basic competence and free time. The ECS harness is some kind of harness-in-a-harness thing and I didn't have enough room to pop off connectors to try to follow the wires. I think I'd have to remove the whole module to do it comfortably. A lot of this is my hesitation with plastic and pulling on cable connectors in particular. The cable coming off of the ECS module is huge and merges with a few other cables that go well into the body of the car beyond where I can easily follow it. The tow kit changes similarly just kind of disappear into the sides of the car car and I think just hook into stuff only in the rear end; it doesn't explain front failures too nor the headlights from what I can tell. I did find an OBDII port (or whatever) coming off the ECS module and it was filled with dead spiders. Fun times. The circuit tracing stuff I got out of this was mostly stuff I was intending to have to do some home electrical so I'm not particularly in the hole so far. And I also think I know enough that if somebody tries to sell me a new ECS module that I can ask how that's going to fix the headlights.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Not a fan of using your insurance companies roadside assistance. It can show up as an insurance claim and could affect your rates where AAA or other independent roadside assistance will not.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

skipdogg posted:

Not a fan of using your insurance companies roadside assistance. It can show up as an insurance claim and could affect your rates where AAA or other independent roadside assistance will not.

AAA is my insurer and i dont think they've ever cared. hell, 90% of the tows/lockouts ive used it for weren't even for my car

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

Gonna definitely contact my State Farm, then!

They got back to me with $8/year. I still have a few months with AMA, so I'll look into the claims issue a couple of posts above.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

skipdogg posted:

I've used mine through progressive a couple times and never took a hit. It's so much cheaper than AAA too, I pay like $12/6mo for it. Less on my bikes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Is a strut assembly replacement (all 4) on a Honda Element any more complicated than a Toyota Matrix? I just volunteered my time, space, and tools to a friend without checking to see how much work it would be. I did my wife's Matrix last year and it went just fine.

You may need to separate the front lower ball joints; on the Matrix, the ball joints bolt on (so it's just a matter of zipping a couple of bolts out), while on the Element they press in. You'll probably need a pickle fork to separate them.

skipdogg posted:

This. If you use it more than occasionally it may affect rates.

For proof, request a copy of your CLUE report.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
AISS box got.

I'll open this big rear end fucker tomorrow.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Short version: how do I know if a mechanic is trying to gently caress my wife?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Buy her a chastity belt and see if its been opened afterwards. They have tools......

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Harold Fjord posted:

I think you ask her and E/N on this one

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Harold Fjord posted:

Stop going to Big Bill Hell's.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

Did you ask your wife if she got the impression that the mechanic is trying to gently caress her?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Every mechanic is trying to gently caress your wife.

Also every non mechanic.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hell, I'm trying to gently caress your wife.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Harold Fjord posted:

The r/relationships thread is thataway.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
For real issue, had it towed to get the starter looked at thinking it'd be some hundreds of dollars, and they sent her an estimate for 4500 with a bunch of work we didn't ask for that seems overpriced as gently caress, especially $2,000 for brake work on a 2003 Mazda 6.

The car doesn't run, so I can't just drive it somewhere else for a counteroffer. I didn't see a thread about not getting ripped off by mechanics so I thought i'd start here

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 22, 2022

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Now have your wife bring the car in and if they say it’s half the price they told you, well…

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

If you’re comfortable with it, post the itemized bill (or crib notes). Otherwise, I’d say get it towed somewhere else and see what they say. Shop around for a decent place first though.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

nitsuga posted:

If you’re comfortable with it, post the itemized bill (or crib notes). Otherwise, I’d say get it towed somewhere else and see what they say. Shop around for a decent place first though.

Sure. Pre tax $666 for a starter replacement. $1001 for front brakes pad/caliper/rotors and the bleed (lmao 130 in labor to bleed brakes :smith:). $991 rear pads/calipers/rotors. $1233 to replace front struts. $381 to replace valve cover gasket

I can do a lot of this in theory which makes it more painful. I've done my own brakes but I don't have a proper setup for it and if something is super stuck, like a rotor won't come off, or breaks I'm SOL. Replacing a starter appears to be dead easy.

She feels bad because she doesnt' want to sink $4500 into a $4500 car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
setting aside whether or not this specific mechanic is scamming you, I’ve always been bothered by the narrative around “putting $x in to a $x car.” You don’t have a car as an asset or store of value, it’s to get you places. So if you put $x in to the car it shouldn’t be about a trade off against car value, it should be about increasing the usable life span of the car to extract more utility for you. Replacing brakes and suspension gets you like 50k miles on brakes and 100k miles on suspension. Spending 4500 to drive 50k miles is a better way to frame it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Also, brakes are not repairs. That's basic maintenance. You buy something new or with good brakes you're just starting over with something that's not in maintenance debt. And paying for that.

Harold Fjord posted:

I've done my own brakes but I don't have a proper setup for it and if something is super stuck, like a rotor won't come off, or breaks I'm SOL. Replacing a starter appears to be dead easy.

And just lol to this. Why do you think it costs what it costs to get a legit mechanic to do these things? Perhaps because they're sitting on 6 figures of tools and knowledge and poo poo just in case something happens.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
AI Stupid Question Thread - please do your own brakes

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Motronic posted:

Also, brakes are not repairs. That's basic maintenance. You buy something new or with good brakes you're just starting over with something that's not in maintenance debt. And paying for that.

And just lol to this. Why do you think it costs what it costs to get a legit mechanic to do these things? Perhaps because they're sitting on 6 figures of tools and knowledge and poo poo just in case something happens.

I understand, that's why I'm asking people who know more than me if this looks like a screw job or just a bit of usual "poo poo's expensive"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Harold Fjord posted:

I understand, that's why I'm asking people who know more than me if this looks like a screw job or just a bit of usual "poo poo's expensive"

That depends on where you live.

Everyone goes off the same book time for jobs for the most part. The variables are parts, markup and labor rate.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Why not have them do the starter and then take it to another mechanic if you need the other issues fixed? I would start laughing if I was quoted $2k to do brakes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

smackfu posted:

Why not have them do the starter and then take it to another mechanic if you need the other issues fixed? I would start laughing if I was quoted $2k to do brakes.

yeah that seems a bit steep even if it includes new calipers

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Definitely trying to gently caress you.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's high but also not super high. Depends on where you live too.

Also just paid ~similar labor hours for a brake flush + a gallon of consumables. It wasn't a mazda though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

2019 rav4 -8000 miles on it. Mom just bought it CPO.

I was driving yesterday and had just pulled out of the gas station when I heard a clunk, thought something had bounced and hit the bottom of the car maybe, and the engine light came on right away and I couldn’t move besides pulling over a bit.

Oil everywhere. I figured the oil plug wasn’t tightened up because she’s only driven it a handful of times since buying it (less than 200 miles).

Dealership just called and said we broke a rod.

I’m trying to think of any way the dealer could say “not covered”, but I’m coming up empty barring severe negligence.

Is that even repairable or would a new engine be needed?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You’re probably getting a new engine courtesy of Toyota assuming that the car was a Toyota CPO with a warranty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
New engine day. Thrown rod usually wrecks the block. Oil everywhere is your evidence for that.