Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
people be putting things into the urinal like their used chewing gum or small pieces of trash. it is a urinal it will not flush it has a tiny drain and the drain is covered with one of those rubber scent absorber target things. if you put your gum in the urinal it stays in the urinal and a human being has to use their human hands to clean the urinal and remove your gum that has been pissed on all day. it has been occurring regularly in both our public restrooms at work and i sincerely hope the culprit(s) fall into a storm drain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I recommend cameras to spot the gum chewer

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Got everything on my grocery list!

Oh except onions, a component of every dish I'd planned for the week

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

InediblePenguin posted:

people be putting things into the urinal like their used chewing gum or small pieces of trash. it is a urinal it will not flush it has a tiny drain and the drain is covered with one of those rubber scent absorber target things. if you put your gum in the urinal it stays in the urinal and a human being has to use their human hands to clean the urinal and remove your gum that has been pissed on all day. it has been occurring regularly in both our public restrooms at work and i sincerely hope the culprit(s) fall into a storm drain

In an office I worked at a few years ago, I stuck a small note above the urinals saying, 'Stop spitting your gum into the urinal, you disgusting loving slob.'

It stayed up there for a few days, which was gratifying (as it meant the cleaners must have seen it and consciously not taken it down). I'm not sure how much effect it had on the disgusting loving slobs themselves, though.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

People who contact you on every goddamn communication channel you have (because every separate group of people you interact with seem to use their own app of preference) at random.
It's so obnoxious to get messages from someone spread out over sms, whatsapp, and facebook messenger. (I also hate having to have/use facebook just because a couple people insist on being in group chats but whine if anyone suggests using anything else.)

Also didn't facebook messenger have a 'mute this chat for 5-15-60+ minutes' feature before? I don't get why notification cooldown isn't a standard thing system wide in android.
Your phone angrily beeping and hollering because 5 idiots can't figure out how to split a bill is just obnoxious.
My phone used to have it via cyanogenmod around 2014 ey, so it's perplexing that it's still not present in mainline android, even though they've done so much work with tweaking notifications otherwise.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

SubNat posted:

People who contact you on every goddamn communication channel you have (because every separate group of people you interact with seem to use their own app of preference) at random.
It's so obnoxious to get messages from someone spread out over sms, whatsapp, and facebook messenger. (I also hate having to have/use facebook just because a couple people insist on being in group chats but whine if anyone suggests using anything else.)

Also, the reverse of this: people who are accessible by different messaging services at different times of the day and you're just expected to guess which one will work right now. If you get it wrong you may never get a response

Bonus points if they back it up with 'you're not entitled to 24/7 contact with me' bitch sometimes things are urgent!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sometimes I get people apologizing in person for having never responded to a message on social media, which is surreal. I'm like, you thought about it enough to bring it up but never to, like, flash some characters over the screen? Aight.

Anyhow, I usually just make it seem like at the time I had something they would have liked. But I just ate/drank/spent the rest myself. It's alright. What was it? Nah, don't worry about it now. That's the past.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Brawnfire posted:

Got everything on my grocery list!

Oh except onions, a component of every dish I'd planned for the week

It’s so frustrating coming home to realise you’d forgotten the one thing you actually went out for.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Killingyouguy! posted:

Bonus points if they back it up with 'you're not entitled to 24/7 contact with me' bitch sometimes things are urgent!

No. Nothing is urgent. Just call and leave a message if it's that important.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Atticus_1354 posted:

No. Nothing is urgent. Just call and leave a message if it's that important.

Gross. Text, please.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I'm assuming this is a work colleague whose contact methods are different during and outside of work hours. For example, in my case, during work hours I can be reached by colleagues by the various messaging systems my workplace uses, and outside of work hours I can be reached by colleagues by waiting until the next work day and using those various messaging systems.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I'm assuming this is a work colleague whose contact methods are different during and outside of work hours. For example, in my case, during work hours I can be reached by colleagues by the various messaging systems my workplace uses, and outside of work hours I can be reached by colleagues by waiting until the next work day and using those various messaging systems.

for the case i posted at least, this is an old friend, who will pull this poo poo while existing plans hang in the balance of them responding in time

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

for the case i posted at least, this is an old friend, who will pull this poo poo while existing plans hang in the balance of them responding in time

If they're responding to "so are we getting together tonight or what" with "I don't owe you 24/7 reachability" then I suspect you have your answer.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

docbeard posted:

If they're responding to "so are we getting together tonight or what" with "I don't owe you 24/7 reachability" then I suspect you have your answer.

Yeah, its this. If they don't want to deal with making plans, then they don't want to hang out

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm having a real old man yells at cloud moment ever since my news feed was inundated with serious, actual, unironic, straight-faced reporting on tiktok dances in dumb popcorn media

God drat the future

Holy poo poo everything turned out so boring and stupid

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Now that I'm done with Christmas shopping: Retailers who build websites that make it a pain in the rear end to figure out if an item is available in stores or not. I am specifically looking for reasons to give you money! If you're just going to be Amazon but more steps then I'm giving my money to Amazon instead and neither of us is really thrilled about this situation.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My kid's school said something about a special holiday song so I came to their morning briefing expecting a cute holiday song by the kids. Next thing I know all the faculty got up and started singing some goddamn song. I ask my wife if the kids are next and no, turns out this is the song. I almost loving walked out, what a bait and switch.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Brawnfire posted:

My kid's school said something about a special holiday song so I came to their morning briefing expecting a cute holiday song by the kids. Next thing I know all the faculty got up and started singing some goddamn song. I ask my wife if the kids are next and no, turns out this is the song. I almost loving walked out, what a bait and switch.

What the gently caress?

I'd be filing a complaint. Or at least complaining loudly

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My peeve is Hanukkah. It's only known because it's our bold stronghold against the oncoming Christmas hordes.

But it's also far and away my favourite holiday and dare I say, the only fun holiday us jews get. I love candles and presents.

gently caress Hanukkah for giving me these mixed feelings.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
More excuses to have chocolate.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Commercials that ruin music I like because now they're associated with that brand. The best example is the beer brand using "Ecstasy of Gold" from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, but there's also Ozempic and "It's Magic" by Pilot.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Seems like an excuse to force people to watch The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly to me

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

For a few dollars more is the superior film

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Obviously you have to do the whole trilogy tho

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I only recently discovered that there are 5 dirty Harry films.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Dysgenesis posted:

I only recently discovered that there are 5 dirty Harry films.

For most of my life I always thought there were only two, which were Dirty Harry (1971) and Sudden Impact (1983). Those were the ones with the catchphrases, and the only ones that ever showed EVERY SINGLE AFTERNOON as an edited-for-television afternoon movie on TBS or TNT or one of those channels

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

oldpainless posted:

If you haven't seen the cut of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly with the deleted scenes restored, seeing it might change your mind. It's not just fluff that got cut out, the extra stuff make it so the plot actually makes sense.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dip Viscous posted:

If you haven't seen the cut of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly with the deleted scenes restored, seeing it might change your mind. It's not just fluff that got cut out, the extra stuff make it so the plot actually makes sense.

in the category of movies like this: make sure you see the directors cut of kingdom of heaven. they cut an entire subplot that makes the movie make sense from the theatrical release

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

No Tuco, though.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I hate when you listen to an album for the first time, and there's a song on it which you know from SOMEWHERE... but you just don't know where. Its on a soundtrack or a play list you're familiar with, but that's all you know.

Then inevitably you find out it was on a Fifa soundtrack from eight years ago.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My peeve is Hanukkah. It's only known because it's our bold stronghold against the oncoming Christmas hordes.

But it's also far and away my favourite holiday and dare I say, the only fun holiday us jews get. I love candles and presents.

gently caress Hanukkah for giving me these mixed feelings.
Counterpoint: Purim

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah we get plenty of fun holidays! At least in my household Pesach is super fun, it's entirely good natured arguments about which bits to read or leave out and laughing about being "brought forth from the house of bondage"

Chanukah is boring and for kids

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

The Perfect Element posted:

I hate when you listen to an album for the first time, and there's a song on it which you know from SOMEWHERE... but you just don't know where. Its on a soundtrack or a play list you're familiar with, but that's all you know.

Well don't just leave us hanging, what was the song??

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The 99 in Camel 99s means nothing significant, and I don't know who Marlboro 100 is but one must assume these are Marlboro 100's cigarettes.

(my pet peeve is how apostrophes are just thrown around everywhere and whether or not its plural or possessive is kind of subjective)

Also: its. What a loving dumb word. It's normal to add apostrophes to things and pretend that that makes it a plural, but it's rare when you omit an apostrophe to make it possessive. You know why its doesn't get an apostrophe? Because it's already existed as a popular contraction. What the gently caress, English language, you're just like, well maybe this once we'll just abandon one of the only fairly consistent grammatical functions when you have homophones and homonyms, these things built into the language specifically to address issues like this.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

Also: its. What a loving dumb word. It's normal to add apostrophes to things and pretend that that makes it a plural, but it's rare when you omit an apostrophe to make it possessive. You know why its doesn't get an apostrophe? Because it's already existed as a popular contraction. What the gently caress, English language, you're just like, well maybe this once we'll just abandon one of the only fairly consistent grammatical functions when you have homophones and homonyms, these things built into the language specifically to address issues like this.
It's a pronoun. None of them get apostrophes: his; hers; theirs; yours; its.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The apostrophe isn't supposed to be in 100s. You only* add apostrophes to numbers if it's a possessive, aka "The 1980's** influence on rock music was..."

*loads of people don't follow this rule and prescriptivism is dumb so

**"Shouldn't it be "1980s'?" Yeah one would think? Idfk.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The Perfect Element posted:

Or the soundtrack to Jet Set Radio. All that cool hip-hop inflected electronic groove stuff... and also just a straight up banger Jurassic 5 track hiding in there.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

credburn posted:

The 99 in Camel 99s means nothing significant, and I don't know who Marlboro 100 is but one must assume these are Marlboro 100's cigarettes.

Its a reference to length. 99s are slightly shorter than 100s(those little mini Marlboros are 70s, iirc?)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The apostrophe isn't supposed to be in 100s. You only* add apostrophes to numbers if it's a possessive, aka "The 1980's** influence on rock music was..."

*loads of people don't follow this rule and prescriptivism is dumb so

**"Shouldn't it be "1980s'?" Yeah one would think? Idfk.

This is exactly the scenario that makes me throw my hands up, say "gently caress it!" and just write whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

prescriptivism is cool