Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

tater_salad posted:

why are these people in cars / driving, this is not like this poo poo has not been predicted for like a week now.

I was on a work call and asked if everyone was ready for the bad weather. Someone spoke up and said, "Wait, we're supposed to be driving down to my mother's house that day. How bad is the weather going to be?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

I was on a work call and asked if everyone was ready for the bad weather. Someone spoke up and said, "Wait, we're supposed to be driving down to my mother's house that day. How bad is the weather going to be?"

Probaly should not be driving to your mothers house

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Probaly should not be driving to your mothers house

She texted her husband about it and he said "It's fine."

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

a strange fowl posted:

chilly haboob

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

McCracAttack posted:

RIP

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

Edit: where's a good place for better model looks etc.. I don't want to pay bell analytics 30bux a month to watch weird weather

Just use Weather.gov

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Also never underestimate the stupidity of the human.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

If everyone else stays off the road then it just means traffic is lighter!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

Protip: if you aren’t using the space in the car anyway, toss in a full‐size shovel.

Moving snow is hard enough work at the best of times.

great now my shovel is frozen inside of the car and I can’t dig my heat hole. thanks a lot

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

"challenging mother nature" is a terrific choice

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

NeonPunk posted:

Goons confusingly ask why would people be going out and driving right at Christmas time lmao

Christmas is on the weekend

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

mawarannahr posted:

Look I understand that we're all basement dwellers with zero social interaction, but Christmas is not just a single day holiday.

It's why people usually say Christmas season to refer to the time period around close to Christmas day.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
poo poo i'm at work and i'm already in christmastime mindset and have been for a week

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
we had temps into the 80s at the beginning of December here and now I'm kind of missing it. I read somewhere that old timey peasants used to just sleep together in big piles under blankets in the winter months because it was too nasty outside to do anything, that sounds kind of appealing at the moment.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Oglethorpe posted:

"challenging mother nature" is a terrific choice

But it's Christmas!

This impending doom event, has made me realize just how little people pay to weather reports. I swear everyone I've mentioned it to over the last few days seems to think it's not a big deal, this includes my employer that feels like it's only going to be a couple inches of snow.

Yeah, this is why I'm not going to work tomorrow.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

I hear rapid freezing and thawing is good for infrastructure

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

dew worm posted:

I hear rapid freezing and thawing is good for infrastructure

good things it infrastructure week!!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
going shopping today and not leaving my house for the next 3 days I think.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

goon activity primarily takes place indoors. why do they care more about the weather than normal people, whose only exposure to weather knowledge comes from their memory of the weatherman’s broad shoulders?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

uber_stoat posted:

way to dwell in a basement, haven't you heard about christmas and going out on the road for social interaction

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

goon activity primarily takes place indoors. why do they care more about the weather than normal people, whose only exposure to weather knowledge comes from their memory of the weatherman’s broad shoulders?

this weather has the potential to bring down powerlines and freeze pipes, making indoors significantly more like the outdoors

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????????????

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

WampaLord posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????????????

it’s true. January 7 is a Saturday.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

well poo poo :( the sun is shining here but my Dish TV is already gone due to weather.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Went by the hardware store and there was a line of old pickup trucks with gray beards at the wheel waiting to get their propane tanks filled. The old timers know what's up.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

cold

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

:hmmyes:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

About to dip into the 20s in DFW please send your thoughts and prayers. People are wearing 3 layers out there and trying to figure out which drawer has their gloves they haven't worn in two years, it's getting rough

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

smoobles posted:

About to dip into the 20s in DFW please send your thoughts and prayers. People are wearing 3 layers out there and trying to figure out which drawer has their gloves they haven't worn in two years, it's getting rough

:pray:

also watching https://www.ercot.com/, I don't think there will be any issues with this front though since we'll be getting so much solar and wind from it compared to 2021 (nevermind that this will be a far shorter duration of cold weather)

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

lol just got back from the grocers with soup bagels bananas and frozen pizza

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Oglethorpe posted:

lol just got back from the grocers with soup bagels bananas and frozen pizza

oh yeah a frozen pizza is going to hit the spot, in a freaking ice storm.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

this popped into my head shortly after I woke up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMbngEFTvYU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

oh yeah a frozen pizza is going to hit the spot, in a freaking ice storm.

you can grill it unlike soup

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shifty Nipples posted:

this popped into my head shortly after I woke up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMbngEFTvYU

:hmmyes:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

uber_stoat posted:

we had temps into the 80s at the beginning of December here and now I'm kind of missing it. I read somewhere that old timey peasants used to just sleep together in big piles under blankets in the winter months because it was too nasty outside to do anything, that sounds kind of appealing at the moment.
Peasants also had big space heaters they would use to make their houses even cozier in the winter, known as livestock

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Twerk from Home posted:

Lol at the idea that you can dig 5 feet down in Texas. In Austin, you'll hit limestone immediately, and in Houston, you'll hit water.

whenever I think of Houston I remember some goon posting a long story about moving there and asking for advice about a bunch of different things, and the very first reply being tenementfunster saying "hahaha get out of houston while you can idiot"

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
looking forward to firing up the outside heater and grilling and watching the football game outside on the deck on new years eve since it’ll be 55 degrees…checks notes one week after it was -7 degrees

cool cool cool

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
I planned ahead, nerds.

have enough beer to last through the weekend. picked up my prime rib for Christmas Eve. made someone else do the last minute grocery shopping for me. after I finish working from home, it’s vacation time filled with baking and eating and drinking without leaving the house and no family other than the husband and our cat because I want to enjoy the holidays without pedantic arguments.

and being in the frigid north, I’m not too worried about pipes freezing.

but I also pay attention to weather reports and plan accordingly.

also, haha Texas.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Pacific Northwest. Sat up in bed in the middle of the night and remembered I forgot to put caps on my outside faucets. It's 14 now, supposed to warm up to 50 on Saturday. So . . . I guess I cross my fingers and wait until Saturday, thereby minimizing the risk of unscrewing the hose being the straw that breaks the camel's back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Oh poo poo it's here now in Austin