Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

brand engager posted:

Do those adapters to fit a nicer bottom bracket into a 1-piece crank frame work well? It's got this kind because it was a $130 bike https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/repair-help/bottom-bracket-service-one-piece

I have an old schwinn super sport that someone put one of those adapters to BSA on, and it has worked fine for a couple years now. still not exactly lightweight but definitely a better BB!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

drat nevermind, had my amazon cart packed with the parts+tools to convert the crank & front derailer to 2x chainring shimano claris and it was $300+

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Upgrading bikes is almost never the cheapest option.
The scenario where it can be cheaper is: if you own or have free access to all the tools you need, can diy, and can get used parts bin stuff.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

is there any reason a press-in bottom bracket couldn't be put in with a cheap homemade headset press (the largest-diameter set of threaded rod, nuts and washers you can put together at the hardware store)?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Main things are to make sure it goes in straight and that you press the outer race. The purpose built tools make that lot easier, but it can be managed with careful use of various crude implements.

IMO do it halfway right: Just buy the bushings that fit your bottom bracket and improvise the rest of the tool.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 6, 2022

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Use the old bearing as a drift.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If you don't want to bodge together your own press the cheaper park tool home mechanic headset/BB press is under a hundred bucks and with shop rates these days if you're planning on keeping a bike around long enough to do the job 3 times or so it's cheaper to buy those tools and DIY.

But definitely just pay someone if you're not gonna be doing it much, don't have a good place to store tools you'll only use maybe once a year, or you're not all that handy. When you mess up pressing in a new headset or BB there's a much higher chance of it resulting in a ruined frame.

I'm debating buying myself my own truing stand and dishing tool as well as bearing presses and pullers. The workshop side of the garage is getting pretty full and is about to have another car in it in a few months.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Good tip on 12 speed chains:

If you’re doing a 12 speed SRAM setup take note of the master link. It has to be oriented correctly else you’ll have skipping on the 10t cog.

This was on my build of a very laid back, carbon recumbent:

A shop sold me this new Pelso Brevet frame for less than 1/2 price and then I proceeded to spend a bunch on components.

It was hard to find a XDR compatible rear wheel with 135mm QR hub,. Spinergy came thru.

Craziest thing? I ordered the 40t front crank from Amazon and it turned out to be shipped from a shop in NY called “Brands Bicycles”. I worked there as a teenager in the early 1970’s.

Well, anyway I broke all my climbing PR’s with this over the last month and descents are pretty exciting.

I did the SDBC toy ride yesterday and was able to climb Fairmont (San Diego) as well as most of the riders.

Oh, 1x12 (10-52 cogs) with a Microshift thumb shifter is so so sweet. No more triple chainring drama.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Is your seatpost greased? Go grease it.

This thing held on tight enough to need a cheater bar until the very last inch.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

how did that not break anything else?

(to be fair my usual method is turn bike upside down and start hammering)

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Yeah that seems like a slide hammer would work best

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Might be underestimating just how stuck a chemically seized seat post can get.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

brand engager posted:

Yeah that seems like a slide hammer would work best
Maybe, but the one with the blind bearing puller wasn't anywhere near big enough.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
If I wanted to get a bike maintenance clamp and I already have a big steel pole in my garage with plenty of space around it, is it better to buy a wall-mount style then DIY a mount on that pole or should I get a freestanding one?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

If you are looking for something sturdy, yes.

If you don't want to work on ebikes or deal with stuck bottom brackets, you may find a portable stand more convenient.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I bought a nice park tool bench mount clamp and then bought a amazon special portable stand and use it more; if I want to work outside or in a different place than my bench.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Thanks, the idea of portability hadn't even occurred to me. My garage is freezing and I could bring a portable stand to the entryway in Winter.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
At this point, given enough space I’d be tempted to get one of the posh stands that support the bike by the front fork axle (wheel off) and bottom bracket.

The pro tour mechanics seem to exclusively use them, they seem a much safer and more sturdy way of holding the bike, with no concern about clamping carbon too tight.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Park-Tool/PRS-222-Team-Issue-Repair-Stand/HRNT?s=1

Expensive also.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
they don't have to be expensive

https://www.futurumshop.nl/xand-montagestandaard-pro.phtml

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’ve got one of those (Feedback Sports Sprint) and if you’re doing serious wrenching it’s much better than a clamp, especially if you’ve got aero seatposts to try and deal with. I have a cheap clamp stand that I’ll use for washing bikes outside but anything major gets done on the Sprint.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I’ve got one of those (Feedback Sports Sprint) and if you’re doing serious wrenching it’s much better than a clamp, especially if you’ve got aero seatposts to try and deal with. I have a cheap clamp stand that I’ll use for washing bikes outside but anything major gets done on the Sprint.

Yeah my cheap stand is now slipping and already isn’t as stable as I’d like, so may not be long for this world.

For davebo’s purposes, I don’t think they make a wall mount version of the fork mount stands yet?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

You could use the Silca Hirobel with a regular wall mount clamp
https://silca.cc/collections/tools/products/hirobel-clamp

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
I've got a problem with my current front chainrings:

You can see on the right that the fixing for the small chainring is missing. The top fixing has had to be repaired previously. There is a significant warp of the chainring now, not sure how long it has been like this.

They've got a bit of wear so I'll think I'll just replace, but I'm getting a bit lost on what to replace with. I was thinking about going with the Hollowgram Spidering but not sure it would work with my cranks? I'm also getting lost looking for options from FSA and Praxis for the 4 arm spider currently on there. Assume if I do find something from praxis or FSA I need to buy new bolts as well?

Bike is a Cannondale Supersix.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yes a spiderring will go on there. But to remove both the crank arms and the spider you need special tools that mostly only shops that sells cannondale will have. It's also a good idea to replace the bolts and washers while you're at it. I had a washer get deformed and stick in the threads and then break off the flange of the little bolt one time.

A new inner ring and bolts would probably be cheaper and easier, but doesn't look as cool and the spiderrings are lighter.

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 27, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I swapped to Hollowgram, and bought this for taking the cranks off:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165511705020
I don't remember needing anything special to swap to a compact spidering on top of that.
If you're thinking of going to Hollowgram, might as well get that tool.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah it might not be a Cannondale specific thing but the spider is held on the cranks with a lock ring and you need a thing to fit into the notches. Also my rings were creaking at the interface so make sure you clean everything real good. Cannondale calls for standard blue loctite but I had some bearing retaining stuff and gave the splines a very generous coating. Bike quiet now. Also has a wheels mfg thread together BB.

https://cannondaleexperts.com/products/cannondale-hollowgram-spider-lockring-removal-tool-v2-kt012-x

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Anyone know of any truing stands that will fit a 27.5*5 197ta fatbike wheel without pulling the rotor and cassette off that isn't the expensive park one? I'm debating getting the equipment to build wheels at home now that I can't do it at work.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Maybe OT, but did you switch jobs?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya I bailed on that scene. Working for a bike shop was fun until it wasn't and at that point why waste my time.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Any suggestions on troubleshooting a tubeless setup that randomly started leaking?

I have a seat if Hunt 4 Season Gravel wheels paired with Specialized Pathfinder Pro’s. I’ve had these wheels for probably 5 years now and they’ve been solid. Same with the Pathfinders - this is my second pair on this wheelset.

I took a bunch of time off the bike owing to laziness/marginal weather over the fall. I took the bike out yesterday and realized that I had a slow leak. I figured I was low on sealant so added in another 1.5 oz of fresh Stan’s when I got home.

Took it out again today and have the same problem. I can see that the bead isn’t holding properly - when I added air on the roadside to limp home I could see bubbles.

Any ideas on what’s changed?

Theories:
- cold weather is affecting sealant?
- rims? They probably have close to 10k on them at this point.
- tire sidewalls? These are relatively new. So unsure.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Did the tyre deflate whilst you weren't riding and dry out the sealant? It may be you need to re-seat the bead by inflating the tyre a bit extra than normal so it pops into the groove. Could also be dried patches of sealant have formed and you need to clean up the inside

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Heliosicle posted:

Did the tyre deflate whilst you weren't riding and dry out the sealant? It may be you need to re-seat the bead by inflating the tyre a bit extra than normal so it pops into the groove. Could also be dried patches of sealant have formed and you need to clean up the inside

Slow leak while riding. Held air overnight. I’ll try reseating as a first step. Thx.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

mexecan posted:

Slow leak while riding. Held air overnight. I’ll try reseating as a first step. Thx.

Sorry wasn't clear with my question, I meant in the period where you took time off riding did they ever deflate/get really low on pressure

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

mexecan posted:

Any suggestions on troubleshooting a tubeless setup that randomly started leaking?

I have a seat if Hunt 4 Season Gravel wheels paired with Specialized Pathfinder Pro’s. I’ve had these wheels for probably 5 years now and they’ve been solid. Same with the Pathfinders - this is my second pair on this wheelset.

I took a bunch of time off the bike owing to laziness/marginal weather over the fall. I took the bike out yesterday and realized that I had a slow leak. I figured I was low on sealant so added in another 1.5 oz of fresh Stan’s when I got home.

Took it out again today and have the same problem. I can see that the bead isn’t holding properly - when I added air on the roadside to limp home I could see bubbles.

Any ideas on what’s changed?

Theories:
- cold weather is affecting sealant?
- rims? They probably have close to 10k on them at this point.
- tire sidewalls? These are relatively new. So unsure.

Tape is probably done, pull it off, clean up the rim, wipe with isopropyl alcohol and re-tape with Tesa 4289 tape of the correct width (probably 21mm for up to 19mm internal rim width). 2 wraps, plenty of guides online.

And make sure you don’t tear it when piercing it to re-seat the valve. Best to use something round and sharp, maybe heated.

Make sure you over-inflate the tyres a bit until they fully seat and pop onto the rims.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
A heated up pokey spoke or a QR axle awl is great tool for melting a little hole in your tape.

That and the magnet spoke are 3 extremely useful tools you should bodge up the moment you start working on bikes.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
That looks like a nice pokey tool, but I looooove these much more expensive versions:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

mexecan posted:

Stan’s

Found the problem

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

That looks like a nice pokey tool, but I looooove these much more expensive versions:

That's a great tool but I'd be way more mad about losing one of those than a pokey spoke.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Do I need a torque wrench for a bottom bracket/quite high torques? I want to get one eventually but would rather not spend even more on bikes this month.
SRAM specifies 54 Nm/40 ft lbs for the bolt in DUB cranks, which just felt like putting quite a lot of force on my scales, but hard to say if I can actually get near to that just by estimating.

Main question is do the tolerances need to be that tight I guess

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Heliosicle posted:

Do I need a torque wrench for a bottom bracket/quite high torques? I want to get one eventually but would rather not spend even more on bikes this month.
SRAM specifies 54 Nm/40 ft lbs for the bolt in DUB cranks, which just felt like putting quite a lot of force on my scales, but hard to say if I can actually get near to that just by estimating.

Main question is do the tolerances need to be that tight I guess

Yes.