Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

tango alpha delta posted:

I gotta say, "The Christian Blockchain" is something I'd not have guessed would be a thing, but here we are.

Really? Christianity is like 90% scams at this point.

Well, the parts that aren't cover for pedophile rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

A group of grifters is called a congregation.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sebmojo posted:

i need to get rid of of a couple of couches and was googling for people in my town who'll do it and came on these guys, i'm intrigued by their proposal and want to know more about how they are disrupting the junk removal paradigm

http://www.cjsjunkremoval.co.nz/service/service-1/

i first read that url as "cis junk removal" and was picturing a very different kind of service at first

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

happyhippy posted:

The book deal will get them some money.
And I'm sure Netflix and Amazon is trying to secure the rights for the film in 7 seven years time when its all over.

https://www.theonion.com/ceos-react-to-arrest-of-sam-bankman-fried-1849893330/slides/16

Ditto on "cis junk removal," except I imagined dumpsters full of, in the dudebro version, Boondock Saints merchandise and copies of The 48 Laws of Power.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Caroline Ellison making like an empress dowager on day 1 and stabbing the meanest looking bitch in prison

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

A group of grifters is called a congregation.

Convention, actually.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
From an article on Gizmodo:

“Curiously, the unsealed plea agreement notes that if Ellison is not a citizen of the U.S. she may need to be deported after serving any sentence. It’s believed Ellison was born in the U.S., but CoinDesk speculates she may have given up her American citizenship in order to avoid paying taxes, something cryptocurrency traders who move overseas sometimes do.”

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Send her to a Siberian airport.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Dial A For Awesome posted:

“Curiously, the unsealed plea agreement notes that if Ellison is not a citizen of the U.S. she may need to be deported after serving any sentence. It’s believed Ellison was born in the U.S., but CoinDesk speculates she may have given up her American citizenship in order to avoid paying taxes, something cryptocurrency traders who move overseas sometimes do.”

Hahaha drat

On the one hand, you're possibly being deported somewhere that you've never lived. On the other hand, you don't pay taxes; so it's impossible to say whether it's good or not

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Lol if she's now a citizen of Bhutan or something and gets deported there when she comes out of prison.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

so this is the target demo for all of those "Move to Abu Dhabi" ads I've been seeing on TV lately

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

I. M. Gei posted:

so this is the target demo for all of those "Move to Abu Dhabi" ads I've been seeing on TV lately

NermalCoin

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

Lol if she's now a citizen of Bhutan or something and gets deported there when she comes out of prison.
*clicks wiki audio*
"Bhutanese Concuuuuubiiiiinnneeee"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

to me, that read like boilerplate they put in every plea agreement just to make sure rather than bothering to confirm people's citizenship status

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I gotta say, "The Christian Blockchain" is something I'd not have guessed would be a thing, but here we are.

Jesus did say to give away everything you own

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

isnt that tonal bitcoin

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

anal buttcoin

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

i first read that url as "cis junk removal" and was picturing a very different kind of service at first

I had the same reaction, and now I'm trying to figure out what the business model would be for that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Alien Arcana posted:

I had the same reaction, and now I'm trying to figure out what the business model would be for that.

new twitter

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

evilweasel posted:

to me, that read like boilerplate they put in every plea agreement just to make sure rather than bothering to confirm people's citizenship status

yeah the SEC lawsuit affirmatively pleads she's a US citizen. it's just boilerplate.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

evilweasel posted:

yeah the SEC lawsuit affirmatively pleads she's a US citizen. it's just boilerplate.

Turns out Coindesk is not a reliable source for analysis. I am shocked that it misled me in this way!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

How the hell did SBF manage to post bond for $250 million holy poo poo

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/BUKAdebayo/status/1605952843499945984

naem
May 29, 2011

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I would hope that someone embezzling billions while in a tax haven foreign country who has millionaire parents has a few hundo million piggy bank somewhere for such occasions

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/WatcherGuru/status/1605996232593223681

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Seth Pecksniff posted:

How nice is that house? How did they afford that house?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

secured by his parent's house

Holy poo poo how? They're both university profs iirc! Or lawyers? Or both? Idk tbh

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
I hope he takes off and his parents lose their house, lol

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

I was going to say I know there are expensive houses but I did not expect many over say $100m.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Seth Pecksniff posted:

It's a "Personal Recognizance bond" which means he doesn't actually have to pay a cent of that unless he flees. He didn't pay any bail money at all

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Probably not surprising, tbh, no criminal record, non-violent crime, confined to the parent's home, enforced with an ankle monitor, travel documents surrendered. He's not going anywhere.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

This is going to make it very funny when he immediately runs.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Ellison and Wang pleading guilty will almost certainly mean shorter sentences for them, but shorter is relative since they're looking at 110 and 80 years respectively. I would wager they get at least 10 and possibly pushing 20 years, and it's federal (I think?) they'll do every day of it 'cause there's no parole.

I hope that a year or so in a Bahamas mansion in a drug-fueled sex party was worth it.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Lol if I had stolen that much of random people's money I don't think I'd want to be in an unsecured location, unable to leave, that everybody knows. Then again everyone who loses their life savings in crypto tends to just go "aw shucks."

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

kw0134 posted:

Probably not surprising, tbh, no criminal record, non-violent crime, confined to the parent's home, enforced with an ankle monitor, travel documents surrendered. He's not going anywhere.

Until they find him in a cargo ship headed to Belize

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seth Pecksniff posted:

secured by his parent's house

Holy poo poo how? They're both university profs iirc! Or lawyers? Or both? Idk tbh

It's a 3 bedroom bunaglo, Bay Area real estate is REALLY hosed up.

I was just thinking this morning how long it's been since we had a white collar perp walk. When was the last time somebody who has touched a billion dollars has even been seen in handcuffs

naem
May 29, 2011

there are ways to get paid the, hundreds of millions you hope for from a business venture that don’t involve fraud even if it’s a terrible product /idea that’s going to fail

like just follow what rules there are and keep proper records and put in writing your 8 figure salary and bonus and then when crypto collapses after a few years you say “gave it a good shot” and wash your hands of it legally

like “this proved not to be profitable oh darn I’ll take my golden parachute now” vs whatever is about to happen to this bunch

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

The problem is, you're approaching this problem from the viewpoint of someone who doesn't believe that crypto is a new paradigm. Just so utterly ahead of its time that no accountant, lawyer, or judge could hope to make sense of.

VV- $100M pitch, easy.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 22, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Crypto is a secure investment, not a security, that generates value based on technological prwrerewjr and ite aurn but it doesn't have the limitations that other earinsefjgkfmdn do, and perhaps most importantly it allows you toa tsdh and new investores radf and old investors sgsre gser.

In short, Crypto rnrehawbuyfbesf asfiudsnoi dsanio sfsdi

Thank you, that will be $45,000,000 please. No taxes, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Until they find him in a cargo ship headed to Belize
If he wanted to run, the time to do it was about four weeks ago. It's more probable he'll find some way to give part 34 of his confession to a Bloomberg reporter in the meantime.