Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

sourdough posted:

Category: Lowlight
🥇: F (Oppo Find X5)
🥈: P (Vivo X80 Pro+)
🥉: M (Sony Xperia 1 IV)

Category: Standard
🥇: B (iPhone 14 Pro)
🥈: F (Oppo Find X5)
🥉: G (Pixel 6a)

Category: Portrait
🥇: A (Huawei Mate 50 Pro)
🥈: L (Galaxy S22 Ultra)
🥉: G (Pixel 6a)

Hyped to see that F ends up being some piece of poo poo phone lol

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQdjmGimh04

Smartphone blind camera test is in and this is different from last year. Instead of a bracket system that led to some odd results, it uses a more scientific ELO system.

For overall average ELO rating across all three categories.

1) Pixel 6a
2) Pixel 7 Pro
3) Zenfone 9

The worst overall rated phone was the Xperia I IV.

The Oppo Find X5 Pro was 1st place for best normal photo
The Vivo X80 Pro+ was 1st place for the best low light photo
The Pixel 7 Pro was 1st place for portrait photo (was noted it was the runaway winner)

The iPhone 14 Pro and the S22 Ultra didn't rank in any category.

Over 20 million votes went into the dataset.

nice, this was a cool way to do it

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
That was very cool. I apparently have terrible taste because my top standard was the Sony.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

lostleaf posted:

That was very cool. I apparently have terrible taste because my top standard was the Sony.

Same. What's wrong with me?

Standard was Sony.

Portrait and Night we're 6a and 7 Pro but can't remember which.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

After 2+ years on a Moto G Power (2020), I tried out a Moto G Stylus 5G for about 3 weeks and hated it. Got a used Pixel 5A on Swappa and I'm a lot happier.

Since this phone is scheduled for updates until next August, should I be in any big rush to move up to the 7? If I did it right now, I could get $130 from trading this 5a in, plus a $100 discount via referral code. Aside from the extra 2GB of RAM, am I missing anything game-changing?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

After 2+ years on a Moto G Power (2020), I tried out a Moto G Stylus 5G for about 3 weeks and hated it. Got a used Pixel 5A on Swappa and I'm a lot happier.

Since this phone is scheduled for updates until next August, should I be in any big rush to move up to the 7? If I did it right now, I could get $130 from trading this 5a in, plus a $100 discount via referral code. Aside from the extra 2GB of RAM, am I missing anything game-changing?

The 5a is slated to get updates through August 2024, so you have a bigger cushion if you want to wait.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/4457705?hl=en#zippy=%2Cpixel-xl-a-a-g-a-g

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The Pixel 5a has had a much higher than expected failure rate, to the point where Google did an extended warranty.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/11833075?hl=en

My wife's failed this way, and apparently a ton of them are, according to the repair shop. Hers got a whole replacement motherboard and storage in addition to just the screen for free. We traded it towards a 6a because I'm still traumatized about my Nexus 5x and it's 3 warranty replacements.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thank you both. I may milk this thing as long as I can since I'm pretty happy with it, but I forgot to mention that I'm moving to Europe sometime around next September, so perhaps I should have a new phone + warranty in my hand by then?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Not an ironic question, I don't know the answer, but: would a phone bought in America be covered by the warranty if it breaks in Europe?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Uthor posted:

Not an ironic question, I don't know the answer, but: would a phone bought in America be covered by the warranty if it breaks in Europe?

Should be, but you'd probably need someone in America to handle the shipping for you.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Soooo I'm due for a phone upgrade, but, the last readily-available phone manufacturer left I didn't hate was LG and it looks like they're out of the phone business.

I'm on AT&T. My choices for a non-unlocked phone are Apple, Pixel, Samsung, or Motorola. I am opposed to Apple on ideological grounds. I am also a headphone jack purist which tends to rule out Pixel. The Motorola devices on offer appear to be strictly inferior to the ThinQ V60 I already have.

I've had bad experiences with Samsung in the past, due to their bloatware tendencies and the fact that their poo poo seems to break at the slightest provocation. And I've had bad experiences with unlocked devices too -- not getting SMS messages until hours after they were sent, dropping calls, etc -- but those were several years back and also cheapo devices.

My questions are
1) Has Samsung gotten better? Is their poo poo still slow and full of ads and does it still break if you look at it funny? I had whatever the "ruggedized" Galaxy line was and it broke when my dog stepped on it and I decided I was done with them but it's getting harder to avoid them given my extremely specific principles.
2) Is there a generally-accepted "best" phone for me to get unlocked if I need it to work on an AT&T simcard and want a headphone jack? AT&T's payment plan probably doesn't actually save any money over a big unlocked purchase in the long run, but I do want it to, y'know, actually work.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I haven't used AT&T for many years so can't comment on that part, but you would have many more options for unlocked phones if a USB-C headphone adapter is an acceptable compromise vs having one built-in.

That said my family has had good experiences with unlocked Galaxy S21 and Pixel 7.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

loquacius posted:

Soooo I'm due for a phone upgrade, but, the last readily-available phone manufacturer left I didn't hate was LG and it looks like they're out of the phone business.

I'm on AT&T. My choices for a non-unlocked phone are Apple, Pixel, Samsung, or Motorola. I am opposed to Apple on ideological grounds. I am also a headphone jack purist which tends to rule out Pixel. The Motorola devices on offer appear to be strictly inferior to the ThinQ V60 I already have.

I've had bad experiences with Samsung in the past, due to their bloatware tendencies and the fact that their poo poo seems to break at the slightest provocation. And I've had bad experiences with unlocked devices too -- not getting SMS messages until hours after they were sent, dropping calls, etc -- but those were several years back and also cheapo devices.

My questions are
1) Has Samsung gotten better? Is their poo poo still slow and full of ads and does it still break if you look at it funny? I had whatever the "ruggedized" Galaxy line was and it broke when my dog stepped on it and I decided I was done with them but it's getting harder to avoid them given my extremely specific principles.
2) Is there a generally-accepted "best" phone for me to get unlocked if I need it to work on an AT&T simcard and want a headphone jack? AT&T's payment plan probably doesn't actually save any money over a big unlocked purchase in the long run, but I do want it to, y'know, actually work.

We've reached a point where you pretty much have to give up on the idea of a headphone jack if you want to get a decent phone. If you really need 3.5mm then a USB-C dongle is going to be your best option. I also liked LG phones, dislike Samsung, and over the last year or two it's become evident to me that the only real option for me now is Pixels. Motorola hardware can be decent and I like their spin on Android but their product support is worst in class.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah, sort of leaning that way too. I fought the good fight but my list of allies runs thin

SamDabbers posted:

I haven't used AT&T for many years so can't comment on that part, but you would have many more options for unlocked phones if a USB-C headphone adapter is an acceptable compromise vs having one built-in.

That said my family has had good experiences with unlocked Galaxy S21 and Pixel 7.

If I'm gonna go with a Galaxy or Pixel phone I don't have to go unlocked, really

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
doesn't the zenphone 9 still have a headphone jack

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It does, so that is an option, it's $70 off right now.

It's just hard to recommend over the regular Pixel 7 based on price. It is, by all accounts, a decent phone. Compact, well performing, near stock experience, ok cameras, headphone jack. But it's short on software support length and costs too much compared to a (currently) $499 Pixel 7.

You can get one hell of a DAC for $130 or one that's probably better than the one in the phone for $10.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Zenfone also doesn't have other stuff I use (SD card slot, wireless charging) so I'd be compromising there too just on something else

e: jeez looks like the Pixel 7 Pro doesn't have an SD card slot either. am I so out of touch???

loquacius fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 22, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

loquacius posted:

Yeah, sort of leaning that way too. I fought the good fight but my list of allies runs thin

If I'm gonna go with a Galaxy or Pixel phone I don't have to go unlocked, really

The rules about unlocking have generally changed from how they used to be, and a lot of carriers automatically unlock after a certain period of time now. I'd suggest looking up what AT&T's rules on that are to help guide your decision.

Personally I have landed on unlocked phones as my preference, but that is an individual thing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

why don't phones have SD card slots anymore??? I get that people don't have huge MP3 collections these days but I thought they at least tended to download their Spotify libraries

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

loquacius posted:

why don't phones have SD card slots anymore??? I get that people don't have huge MP3 collections these days but I thought they at least tended to download their Spotify libraries

It's so you pay $hundreds for more internal storage

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

because SD cards are extremely slow and lovely compared to extremely fast onboard storage, and why are you downloading hundreds of gigs of spotify libraries to the point you would need an SD card?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I checked and I'm using about 140 gigs on my current phone all told, which is not THAT much more than 128, but it's more than 128

CLAM DOWN posted:

because SD cards are extremely slow and lovely compared to extremely fast onboard storage, and why are you downloading hundreds of gigs of spotify libraries to the point you would need an SD card?

SD cards are fine, I am running games on my Steam Deck using an SD card lmao, what are you using your phone for???

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

90mbs is slow and lovely?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't know that I've ever gone above 100gb used on my phone and I even do keep some offline playlists for like the 1 plane trip I may potentially take a year and might forget to download something ahead of time.

I just use data though, data is unlimited and ubiquitous, I have no reason to keep the poo poo local.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

90mbs is slow and lovely?

Literally yes, compared to really fast onboard storage.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I am once again literally running Death Stranding off an SD card installation on my Steam Deck and it works fine so I dunno what you'd have to be running on your phone for that difference to be noticeable

I really don't know what is taking up all that space because even my massive local MP3 collection is actually only 26.4GB so who even knows, the problem is that however I hit that limit, I still hit it

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The headphone jack and SD card wars were fought and lost years ago, sorry. Get an S22 if you want a smaller phone, an S22U if you want a pen and can get it discounted, or a Pixel 7/Pro otherwise.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

frameset posted:

Literally yes, compared to really fast onboard storage.

I'll accept it is in comparison, but when would 90mbs not be fast enough for storing videos and music and files?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's both partially to boost margins and partially because SD cards are an implementation nightmare for phones.

The ability to store applications on them was deprecated from android long ago because it encouraged the low end of the market to really skimp on storage and things were not the most stable if you had a flakey card and applications suddenly disappeared from the phone.

Similarly, not all cards are created equal for recording video. 4k60fps is in the 70+Mbps range. Yes, there are plenty of high quality cards that support it, but there are just as many lower end cards that don't. So how do you manage that user experience? Have the camera app crash if the storage can't keep up with the video? Drop frames? How do you communicate back to the user that their storage isn't fast enough? Yes, removable media is also present on actual real cameras, but that market doesn't overlap with the general phone market who's users aren't as savvy.

Another difference between your phone and steamdeck is encryption. The steamdeck doesn't encrypt storage at all. Encryption has overhead which puts further demands on the quality of external storage in both speed and reliability. Also, once you encrypt SD storage on a phone, its usefulness (at least as a transfer mechanism) plummets since you can't just plug it into another device.

Then there's just market demand. Consumer demand for much higher than 128gb of total storage just hasn't been there and thus people haven't really noticed the removal of the SD card. If you shoot a lot of 4k video, then the upper storage models become more useful, but generally 128 hasn't been much of a constraint for most people.

The option is there for more onboard storage, it usually costs $100 to double your storage which is a higher margin than an SD card, but that's the way the market is today. There are still a handful of choices out there that have it (Sony Xperia series) but then you generally have to accept other compromises. Mainstream devices that optimize the basics just don't have things like headphone jacks and SD cards anymore.

Keep in mind that you CAN still use external storage. Plug in a USB-C drive and you are free to copy stuff on and off the phone. It's really just a matter of what you think you need on your phone all the time and what you think you may want to take with you or offload if you find the onboard storage isn't sufficient.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 22, 2022

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Alan_Shore posted:

I'll accept it is in comparison, but when would 90mbs not be fast enough for storing videos and music and files?
is it fast enough for that, sure, but it's an order of magnitude slower than what comes in your phone. there was a weak argument for sd cards when phones had 16 gigs or less built in but any flagship is going to have 128gb of storage with options for more. to have that extra "cheap" storage, the phone needs another ingress point for dust and water, extra space for the card itself and the contacts, a micro sd controller and probably more things i'm not thinking of. all that costs space and money. i'd rather have the better waterproofing and extra battery capacity than a bunch of slow storage i don't even need, and that's what consumers in general have said via their purchasing decisions. i'm glad it's gone, same for the 3.5mm jack

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

eXXon posted:

The headphone jack and SD card wars were fought and lost years ago, sorry. Get an S22 if you want a smaller phone, an S22U if you want a pen and can get it discounted, or a Pixel 7/Pro otherwise.

do not buy either of these weeks from the S23 launching

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Another reason for the demise of the SD card slot is the move toward cloud storage, which for a lot of things works okay. Google One is pretty cheap - $20/year for 100GB of online storage - and for most purposes data connections are fast enough it isn't a big hassle. Offload big pictures and movies to the cloud and you can keep device storage less stressed.

And there is the aforementioned USB-C thumb drive option.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My cell connection at my home is faster than my fiber connection (I mean, by choice since I don't need my home internet to be faster), but I literally get 300-600Mbps most places I go nowadays.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just tried my old usb-c audio adapter with my new pixel6a and it doesn't work. Seems like it is common with Chinese adapters, so I will have to buy a new one.
Googling tells me that the Apple one is good, it is certainly cheaper then the google one, here.

Anyways, I also almost filled the 128GB storage with my music collection. Having my own collection is cheaper then subscribing to a streaming service for me. And it allows me to stick to a cheaper data service.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Your old adapter was probably an analog output adapter rather than an actual DAC.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Your old adapter was probably an analog output adapter rather than an actual DAC.

Yes, googling tells me that Xiaomi adapters (like mine) have no DAC. Same with Oneplus.
And that Apple and Google adapters have DACs.

And that no brand deigns to inform you if their adapters have DACs or not.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

loquacius posted:

SD cards are fine, I am running games on my Steam Deck using an SD card lmao, what are you using your phone for???

quote:

SD cards are extremely slow and lovely compared to extremely fast onboard storage

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Oh yeah, I remember when I put my old SD card into my new tablet some years ago.
It was a card I got several phone generations before, back when phones had below 16GB commonly.
The tablet told me that my card sucks, and refused to put app-data on it. Not even movies from the prime movies app.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Soul Glo posted:

do not buy either of these weeks from the S23 launching

They're not going to launch with similar discounts as on the S22 now and there will probably be trade in deals either way (less likely if you're not in the US but such is life). Anyway I'm satisfied getting an S22 for net $80 thanks to trade in bullshit that makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

It's both partially to boost margins and partially because SD cards are an implementation nightmare for phones.

The ability to store applications on them was deprecated from android long ago because it encouraged the low end of the market to really skimp on storage and things were not the most stable if you had a flakey card and applications suddenly disappeared from the phone.

Similarly, not all cards are created equal for recording video. 4k60fps is in the 70+Mbps range. Yes, there are plenty of high quality cards that support it, but there are just as many lower end cards that don't. So how do you manage that user experience? Have the camera app crash if the storage can't keep up with the video? Drop frames? How do you communicate back to the user that their storage isn't fast enough? Yes, removable media is also present on actual real cameras, but that market doesn't overlap with the general phone market who's users aren't as savvy.

Another difference between your phone and steamdeck is encryption. The steamdeck doesn't encrypt storage at all. Encryption has overhead which puts further demands on the quality of external storage in both speed and reliability. Also, once you encrypt SD storage on a phone, its usefulness (at least as a transfer mechanism) plummets since you can't just plug it into another device.

Then there's just market demand. Consumer demand for much higher than 128gb of total storage just hasn't been there and thus people haven't really noticed the removal of the SD card. If you shoot a lot of 4k video, then the upper storage models become more useful, but generally 128 hasn't been much of a constraint for most people.

The option is there for more onboard storage, it usually costs $100 to double your storage which is a higher margin than an SD card, but that's the way the market is today. There are still a handful of choices out there that have it (Sony Xperia series) but then you generally have to accept other compromises. Mainstream devices that optimize the basics just don't have things like headphone jacks and SD cards anymore.

Keep in mind that you CAN still use external storage. Plug in a USB-C drive and you are free to copy stuff on and off the phone. It's really just a matter of what you think you need on your phone all the time and what you think you may want to take with you or offload if you find the onboard storage isn't sufficient.

This was a really good post.