Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Is there a good in-depth WvW Boonbrand guide that goes beyond the Hardstuck one? The one on GW2Mists doesn't seem to be maintained and has little more than build and gear. The example video is just in complemented gameplay with trash music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Firebrand got a pretty major change in the latest round of patches, so I'm not sure any site has an updated build right now.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I remember the books and stat blocks for trait lines and gold to respec, I don't remember requirements of doing specific events in the game to unlock the traits.

It only lasted a year and two months. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trait_guide (The same feature patch brought the world boss timers, wardrobe and account wide dyes, outfits, and megaservers: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2014-04-15)

The only thing I specifically remembered about it was some of the new grandmaster traits were just doing an easy minidungeon or jp, but most of them meant waiting around for Arah meta events if you didn't want to spend gold. Have fun sitting around waiting for the priest of Grenth so you can experience Radiant Retaliation!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

The 2014 system is the one I remember, since I came in late.

Didn't those unlock tasks get turned into the hero point earning thingies we have today?

Hero points used to be skill points which were needed to buy slot skills. I think you needed like 100 points more than world completion gave you, and levels after 80 gave you more skill points instead of spirit shards. After you had everything unlocked you were just accumulating extra skill points which could be used to buy stuff from the forge merchant for legendaries (which you use spirit shards for now instead).

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
My hot take is that even Hero Points are outdated and everyone should have full access to all specs they own the expansions to.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I like unlocking stuff a whole bunch, but I have to agree. An elite spec basically doesn't do anything until you've done the whole thing.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Anyways, this is all in response to folks saying “this game is so great! Why didn’t I try it before?!” And frankly, now is a great time to start the game. Devs have listened to players over the years and really fixed up some of the goofier poo poo in the game.

Here’s hoping that they address the UI next

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Main thing that made me shelf the game for awhile was that they seemed to focus on half-assed temporary content like season1 and temporary festival maps like zephyrites and half-assed permanent content like emberbay with 100g clown weapon skins.

They did good spending time bringing back that cut content and making the seasonal new maps slightly less sucky, though they sometimes have periods where they seem like they just stopped caring about the game for awhile like what happened with icebrood saga.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I had basically shelved the game when I logged in one day and found that not only could you no longer mash mesmer shatters, they also combined continuum shift into shatter 4 (distortion). They completely reversed course on this very recently for some reason. Probably because it was almost as dumb as their idea to make a sniper rifle have less range than a bow :rolleyes:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I feel like there is some version of Mesmer that would make me very happy, considering I love the flavor of it all, but nothing has really clicked with me.

Just wish the damage on shatter was still a thing since it was a fun way to nuke things.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Virtuoso is great if you want to spam damaging shatters.

Also they never implemented the deadeye range nerf due to pushback afaik.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

they seem like they just stopped caring about the game for awhile like what happened with icebrood saga.

This is a bullshit line, and is every time someone brings it up. Champions, the section of Icebrood Saga with DRMs that everyone hates so much, came out between November 2020 and April 2021. I wonder what could have been negatively affecting their work during that time? Who knows, it’s a mystery :confused:.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, the leadup to the lockdown was some of their best work. Drizzlewood, Bjora and Grothmar are really excellent zones, they have some cool interesting fights and some of the better bits of the story (Braham excepted). I just wish the Grothmar rewards were better integrated into the rest of the game in the way that drizz drops and eternal ice are.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I played at release and quit when my friends moved on to other games because there was nothing left to do but PvP and farm for legendaries. First return fell through when I saw I'd already missed part of season one forever. And the second I saw people complaining the harder HoT hero points and challenges would never be done again months after its release. Which is hilarious because, while still not easy, they are done many times daily these days.

I'm glad I came back after hearing how great mounts were, the game is in a great spot now with lots of players new and old, and support for most of a decade of content. I'm currently on another break, secure I won't miss anything permanently and can pop back anytime.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Oh can anyone who played through the original Living World Season 1 describe how different it is from the re-make that's in now? I don't know how the content worked back then or if they even used instances. How long did you have to complete a certain story section before it was just gone forever?

Also seems like a major development which kept the remake from working was that if you are on a certain story point, an entire zone might be changed, like the tower of nightmares in Kessex Hills being back again VS. being destroyed. Hard to tell if you're actually in an entirely separate instanced zone or if other players in the same area just can't see the tower when you can.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Mercury_Storm posted:

Oh can anyone who played through the original Living World Season 1 describe how different it is from the re-make that's in now? I don't know how the content worked back then or if they even used instances. How long did you have to complete a certain story section before it was just gone forever?

The main difference for me is how quickly you're able to get things done. For Flame & Frost in particular, they would drip-feed "content" each week (oh this week you can find a lost item and return it to an NPC. Next week there will be a different item!) It's a single story chapter now, but it ran from Jan 28th to May 14th so you're getting 4.5 months of stuff done in a few hours.

They did use story instances, like the dragon bash effigy and the heart of the tower of nightmares, so that's mostly been unchanged. The only "single thing that ever happens one time on a real map" they did was the karka fight on Southsun, and technically that wasn't in Season 1 (which I lost connection half way through because EVERYONE was logged in).

Two Weeks was a pretty common time frame for the releases after F&F, but sometimes it would be longer.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Double Posting but whatever. If you were waiting for a sale to buy into the game, here it is.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-winter-sales-are-here/

All Expansions and Living World releases - 79.99, 20% off
All Expansions - 34.99, 30% off
EoD Expansion - 23.99, 20% off
HoT and PoF Expansions - 14.99, 50% off

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Apparently I got "God Walking Among Mere Mortals" taken away for the second time.

Didn't know I got it to begin with!

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I think I've gotten that letter over six times now. The problem is that I actually did get that title, so it's an oops of an oops.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

If you have extra karma in your wallet, the Frostbitten harvesting tools you can get during this Wintersday event are sweet spot of convenience and efficiency in converting it into gold.

This is especially true now that the value of volatile magic has halved down to under 10c each. RIP leather and trophy shipments.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

whydirt posted:

If you have extra karma in your wallet, the Frostbitten harvesting tools you can get during this Wintersday event are sweet spot of convenience and efficiency in converting it into gold.

This is especially true now that the value of volatile magic has halved down to under 10c each. RIP leather and trophy shipments.
So would your recommendation be to just load up on those tools on an unused toon?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Glad I didn't but one of those voltatile magic glyph for like 400 gold :O Seemed like a bad bet when the average price of T5 trophies could just drop beneath the 1 gold it also costs to buy those chests.

Everything seems to be getting cheaper on the trading post now too, maybe because of long time players coming back for LWS1? You can't even profit from some of the time-gated crafts anymore like spiritwood globs/planks.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 23, 2022

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Mercury_Storm posted:

? You can't even profit from some of the time-gated crafts anymore like spiritwood globs/planks.

Yeah, that's annoying

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Core mats are cheaper for a couple reasons from what I can tell.

1. Supply is up from an increasing number of bots, mostly in mid-level core and LS4 zones
2. Demand is down, at least for trophies, because the new End of Dragons legendary weapons require half the amount from previous generations
3. Players who are fully kitted out with legendaries or even ascended gear from crafting/drops have almost no use for crafting mats due to the lack of vertical progression
4. Food buffs use their own silo of materials for the most part, so there are no ongoing equipment material sinks (lol research notes)

I dunno how much material deflation matters among the player base long term and if so what, if anything, anet will do about it.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Research notes are actually what's keeping Core mats at least somewhat above vendor price, well at least mithril and silk. We really need another major sink like festival of the four winds tho.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Meeko posted:

Research notes are actually what's keeping Core mats at least somewhat above vendor price, well at least mithril and silk. We really need another major sink like festival of the four winds tho.

there already is in drizzlewood and it's profitable but it's kind of a pain to extract that profit

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'd really like it if you could swap jade bot parts without schlepping all the way to Cantha.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

I'd really like it if you could swap jade bot parts without schlepping all the way to Cantha.

Guild Hall

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Hyperlynx posted:

It’s definitely some bullshit that the jade work benches haven’t been added to the vip areas. Same with the fishing vendors.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Who needs a VIP area when you can just insta-teleport to the PvP lobby, though? :D

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Demon_Corsair posted:

It’s definitely some bullshit that the jade work benches haven’t been added to the vip areas. Same with the fishing vendors.
The EoD VIP area has them I think :v:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Who else keeps the arborstone teleport in their shared slots because they aren't gonna pay 10 silver for a waypoint?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Who else keeps the arborstone teleport in their shared slots because they aren't gonna pay 10 silver for a waypoint?

Absolutely

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Saraiguma posted:

there already is in drizzlewood and it's profitable but it's kind of a pain to extract that profit

kinda, but there's no chase infusion to get people to recklessly dump piles of materials away, and drizzlewood is as you've said a pain and daily capped so individuals can only throw away materials at a fairly slow rate. add in the fact that at best you're only making a few gold a day and there's not enough people bothering for it to be a meaningful resource sink, unfortunately.

research notes in comparison need a shitton of materials for every big ticket item made that needs them, it's extremely wroth it to make them, and you don't get any materials in return. as much as i inherently hate them for being a pain, without notes the price of T5 mats would probably completely collapse, and the game probably needs more things that require research notes.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Yeah. Notes are a very good resource sump.

That said, the price of Mystic coins has rebounded a bit, so maybe people are starting to make gen 1 and 2 legendaries again.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Every season book, the Gendarren airship scroll, and Arborstone. Also the boss stones for core and Maguuma (not sure if there are other ones), and a stack of teleport stones.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I'm having fun logging on and aimlessly wandering around doing hearts. Is there anything I should do early that unlocks something neat? For instance I got the mailbag item for signing up for their newsletter. Any other cool items I can pick up for a small investment of time like that? Bags, mounts, pets...?

Editing to say I bought the little bundle with the first two expansions

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 24, 2022

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm having fun logging on and aimlessly wandering around doing hearts. Is there anything I should do early that unlocks something neat? For instance I got the mailbag item for signing up for their newsletter. Any other cool items I can pick up for a small investment of time like that? Bags, mounts, pets...?

If you have path of fire, doing the first mission in that story will get you the first mount which is great. There may be an even quicker way of getting it?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

tarbrush posted:

If you have path of fire, doing the first mission in that story will get you the first mount which is great. There may be an even quicker way of getting it?

if you own hotpof you now get the raptor and glider at level 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

big cummers ONLY posted:

Editing to say I bought the little bundle with the first two expansions

In general most of the cool QoL stuff you can't start unlocking until level 80, which also doesn't take very long anymore, so don't sweat it too much. Just fart around, do the adventure guide achievements, and then look into Masteries when you hit level 80. In particular, you'll probably want to prioritize Pact Commander at that point, since that gives you ~Auto Loot~