Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I mean I'd kind of assume that they'd basically be set up like an aquarium but in reverse, right? They build most of the station for themselves and then a small subset of walkable platforms to interact with the walking visitors?

Which, also to be fair, it's not like stations in X4 right now aren't "a small subset" of areas the player can actually access, compared to what the actual volume of the stations themselves would be.

Yep, this. I look forward to seeing all the ship designs, etc! Hopefully they have a plot that's actually about fighting off the Kha'ak on the side, like OFF

EDIT:

Antigravitas posted:

Actually, it'll be a Subnautica crossover. You get stranded in Kindom's End.

ohhh, yeah or this! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Wasn't one of X2 cutscenes showing Boron ship not just landing on a planet, but going underwater and docking a building there?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Old X3 player here. I think I put a couple hundred hours into X3:Rebirth back in the 00s, and remember doing a lot of fun stuff like issuing commands and setting up macros to be able to send out messages to fleets/squadons. However these days I'm older and play games from a couch rather than a desk, I do have a wireless keyboard/mouse but mostly play using a controller. Back in those days I used a combination of flight stick and keyboard and I'm wondering how the controller support is for X4. I seem to recall I played Terran Conflict using a controller and it was decent but not great. So first question is, how is controller support for the game? While I do enjoy the economic aspects of the game, I'm really just looking for something at the moment to scratch an itch over the holiday season that I don't want to fill with Everspace 2 because I'm waiting for the full release of that.

Second question is regarding ship capture and such, back in X3 if you damaged the enemy enough they would abandon the ship and you could fly over and take it. Does the game still work like that? Are there dead ships out in space that you can go find and fly over to in your space suit to take control of them?

Last question, does the game still give you a cool little voice clip announcing the system as you enter it?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

PaybackJack posted:

Old X3 player here. I think I put a couple hundred hours into X3:Rebirth back in the 00s, and remember doing a lot of fun stuff like issuing commands and setting up macros to be able to send out messages to fleets/squadons. However these days I'm older and play games from a couch rather than a desk, I do have a wireless keyboard/mouse but mostly play using a controller. Back in those days I used a combination of flight stick and keyboard and I'm wondering how the controller support is for X4. I seem to recall I played Terran Conflict using a controller and it was decent but not great. So first question is, how is controller support for the game? While I do enjoy the economic aspects of the game, I'm really just looking for something at the moment to scratch an itch over the holiday season that I don't want to fill with Everspace 2 because I'm waiting for the full release of that.

Second question is regarding ship capture and such, back in X3 if you damaged the enemy enough they would abandon the ship and you could fly over and take it. Does the game still work like that? Are there dead ships out in space that you can go find and fly over to in your space suit to take control of them?

Last question, does the game still give you a cool little voice clip announcing the system as you enter it?

I cant answer the controller question. It seems like it would work for flying but you will need m+kb for tons of other functions.

Regarding question 2 and 3: S/M sized ships have a chance to bail out for you to claim them, but the mechanic has been changed a bit. The bigger the difference in hull power the more likely it is for them to bail, so if you have a very low hp ship and you harass M sized freighters etc they are way more likely to bail. L/XL ships have to be captured with marines. And yes, the announcer is still there.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

FrickenMoron posted:

I cant answer the controller question. It seems like it would work for flying but you will need m+kb for tons of other functions.

It's pretty good with a HOTAS but I don't know about using a traditional controller.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The gamepad controls a cursor in the menu screens so except for anything that has to typed I'm 99% sure you can play the entire game with just a gamepad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hated the boron ships in X3 so curious what they do with them in X4.

In 3 they just looked like big green space turds.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Gamepad is great for flying and most other activities, as long as you concentrate on space simming. If you’re into the empire building stuff, best to stick to keyboard and mouse.

OwlFancier posted:

Boo this man. Boo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know I'm in the minority as everyone seems to really love the boron but genuinely I think it's just the low res texturing and lack of animation made them impossible to parse for me. Looked like their either should have been alive and moving or it's just a weird lump that someone painted that weird lumpy texture.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

OwlFancier posted:

Don't worry, after green space turds we'll get green space buttplugs.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

PaybackJack posted:

I use a controller for all the flight sim aspects because I got used to doing it in Elite Dangerous, but a caveat is that I pipe it through a fairly convoluted Steam Controller layer because X4 baseline doesn't really support meta-button stuff like "hold down A and then hit right trigger to do X thing, hold down B and hit right trigger to do Y thing"

I also technically can use the controller for empire stuff but
1. my controller has a keyboard thing plugged into it for all the spots where it's either "far easier" or "hard required" to do keyboard inputs like ship searching etc
2. even then it's way, way easier to just use a proper kb+m for empire management, to the point where my controller frequently auto-shuts itself off from disuse when I'm actively interacting with the galaxy map

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

As a couch gamer I recommend a wireless trackball.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

big nipples big life posted:

The gamepad controls a cursor in the menu screens so except for anything that has to typed I'm 99% sure you can play the entire game with just a gamepad.

Does the cursor snap-to or cycle through fixed locations on the screen or is it just mouse emulation?

Also I'm expecting to use they keyboard and that's fine. It's using a mouse that is problematic.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

PaybackJack posted:

Does the cursor snap-to or cycle through fixed locations on the screen or is it just mouse emulation?

Just mouse emulation so it isn't great but it works if you want to play controller only.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

I've pretty much never bothered with anything but Argon and Terran ships for exactly this reason. Though Split ones in X4 look rad as hell

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm just glad they redesigned the paranid capitals, they look much better now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How dare you besmirch the fearsome hair dryer.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

PaybackJack posted:

So first question is, how is controller support for the game?

I gave up and got a HOTAS. I think it was mostly the speed control that bothered me with the controller, and meant I could not hit anything (intentionally). I am not dextrous though, you might do better.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
is x4 in a good spot now? Are people expecting an X5 sooner than later or are they still iterating on 4?

asking cause the uhh x4 bundle? is on sale for $40. dunno what all it includes or if it's worth it vs just the base game (which is $19)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's good buy it if you liked the games before

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

the bundle should be the base game and 3? expansions plus it looks like a boron expansion will be coming next year.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Imagine having to fly a ship yourself instead of hiring a chauffeur. :smuggo:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

Imagine having to fly a ship yourself instead of hiring a chauffeur. :smuggo:
The real trick is to get 30 reputation with every eligible faction, then you can teleport to any station in any sector.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The real trick is to get 30 reputation with every eligible faction, then you can teleport to any station in any sector.

I always just parked cheap as poo poo scout ships at the faction HQs, named "-- Blah Faction HQ" so I could find them fast

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWfQ6fHsMQA

Adorable Boron pods revealed! This is great, I didn't think they'd make another DLC for X4 but rather try to make a new standalone game.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
that aesthetic is fuckin' sick

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Very pleased with this style. I hope it will follow the DLC release schedule and release around april!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Neat!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That aesthetic seems a lot more … aggressive?

I do wonder if that is an indicator of a change in Boron attitude. Perhaps they are going to go all Liir on people.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Egosoft forums have a bit more info:

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=450611

Patch 6.0 is going to come with the usual fixes, improvements etc.:

quote:

Position Defence, a new feature which allows you to have a carrier-led fleet defend a larger area
A new cinematic camera cutscene mode
Improvements in, among other things, AI combat and fleet behaviour, trade behaviour, boarding, salvaging, docking experience, flight pathing, low attention combat simulation, and the station editor
UI and quality-of-life improvements
Performance improvements
... and much more

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

That trailer looks great design wise. Planning on getting into this game soon with all the expansions so that'll be nice to have it comes out in 4-5 months.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Mr E posted:

That trailer looks great design wise. Planning on getting into this game soon with all the expansions so that'll be nice to have it comes out in 4-5 months.

Given the game is really cheap atm it might be a wise idea to buy the basegame, get used to the handling and pick up some dlcs if you enjoy it. Then you can jump back in with the expansion.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I had just started a new game to do a Tides of Avarice start and then they announce this, now I'm torn on just shelving it for awhile and playing other things while I wait.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

big nipples big life posted:

I had just started a new game to do a Tides of Avarice start and then they announce this, now I'm torn on just shelving it for awhile and playing other things while I wait.

Remember that you can permanently unlock things for the custom gamestart if you play without mods, that was always a good motivator for me.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

FrickenMoron posted:

Remember that you can permanently unlock things for the custom gamestart if you play without mods, that was always a good motivator for me.

That's a good point, I play vanilla anyway. Is there a list or something that has all the things you can unlock and how to do them?

Nevermind, I see you can look them up in the custom start menu if you uncheck the spoilers thing.

big nipples big life fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 23, 2022

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Given the game is really cheap atm it might be a wise idea to buy the basegame, get used to the handling and pick up some dlcs if you enjoy it. Then you can jump back in with the expansion.

Oh I already have the expansions from a sale a few months ago, I just haven't gotten around to actually sitting down and deciding if I want to play with KB/M or HOTAS. I think I got the mods I wanted already installed so I may start playing next week after Christmas. I really loved X3 except how cumbersome and convoluted it could get for trading and such and it seems like X4 fixed most of the issues I had with X3 or simplified what I wanted simplified so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Entire boron shipbuilding budget spent on gluing more filligree to the ships.

It looks cool if kind of stupid, but it definitely gives that bioluminescent deep sea feel.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

Entire boron shipbuilding budget spent on gluing more filligree to the ships.

It looks cool if kind of stupid, but it definitely gives that bioluminescent deep sea feel.

How do I budget this my navy is dying

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

gently caress yes the song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Owns. Can't wait to get completely sucked in to a playthrough, think about it every waking minute, and then burn myself out by the time I've got my first megafac built and realize that the rest of the game will just be making GBS threads out my own ships and waiting for the inevitable 'win'.

Maybe I'll try doing some kind of RP run.