Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Yeah that job legit hosed me up and is incredibly rough. I could not have done it for more than the couple of years I did, I don't handle animal death well and was assigned to most of the euthanasia cases because I was the one who could remain stoic until my shift ended. The pay is also abysmal for how hard it is.

Funny how the go-to "insult" of people like that is "unemployed", though.

Just lol at you trying to call anyone out on this specifically. You're just determined to "argue" by attacking people personally and twisting their words to say something we did not actually say.

That again is not true at all. I am responding to your comments about me being a "purported scientist" or whatever. I am an actual, employed, current scientist. Per your appeal to authority, you are not a vet tech.

It remains untrue that a cat that sometimes goes outside is very likely to die before age 5. The cat is not going to constantly be in pain.

That is the dumbshittery I originally called dumb, and which you're supporting with your long, unread posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

You desperately want to squeeze out more steaming hot thousand word posts, go ahead, I already know your position and I'm not going to read em.

And yet you continue to post. :jerkbag:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

knox_harrington posted:

That again is not true at all. I am responding to your comments about me being a "purported scientist" or whatever. I am an actual, employed, current scientist. Per your appeal to authority, you are not a vet tech.

I made zero appeals to authority. I said I was a former vet tech and this was my experience of what happens at a veterinary clinic when owners bring in outdoor cats.

At no time did I say "you should believe me about X because I was a vet tech", which is what an actual appeal to authority is.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sorry that's still too long

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

knox_harrington posted:

It remains untrue that a cat that sometimes goes outside is very likely to die before age 5. The cat is not going to constantly be in pain.

That is the dumbshittery I originally called dumb, and which you're supporting with your long, unread posts.

No one said it would "constantly be in pain." Calm down and stop with the hyperbole.

One person said the cat would definitely die, but that poster wasn't me, friend. I gave you averages on lifespan. You're the one banking on being the outlier in the game of averages.

This is a fairly recent review of risks: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7070728/ People tend to grossly underestimate both how far cats roam and what shenanigans they get into (e.g., number of times they eat random poo poo, cross the street, approach an unknown animal). People also tend to grossly underestimate the predators and other wildlife in the area since that wildlife tends to be good at hiding from humans.

Another point that should be considered is an uncontrolled outdoor cat can spread toxoplasmosis, both to wildlife and neighbors. It would suck if a pregnant neighbor lost their baby because your cat kept making GBS threads in their garden.

Unrelated: Iskierka came out to the quail hutch with me and decided she likes huffing rosemary more than staring at the birds.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Dienes posted:

No one said it would "constantly be in pain." Calm down and stop with the hyperbole.

Cythereal posted:

Your kitten is going to massacre native wildlife for fun, and probably going to get sick and hurt a lot, and almost certainly is going to die in under five years.

Assuming someone doesn't just wisely kidnap it and give it a better, purely indoors life.

Do not let your cats outside.

knox_harrington posted:

This is an extremely dumb take

Wrong, weird post and correct response. Then the Cat Police try to pile on with long, boring screeds.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Can everyone just shut the gently caress up and post pictures of their cats instead?

This is Jack and he's new to our house. Our resident cat max is not happy he's here, but I sure am.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You'd really think a guy proudly touting how he's a scientist would have a vocabulary that includes the word 'almost,' but here we are.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Poor Marcie in such constant pain.

Cythereal posted:

You'd really think a guy proudly touting how he's a scientist would have a vocabulary that includes the word 'almost,' but here we are.

almost certainly dead within 5 years hmm yes I see the important scientific distinction

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

knox_harrington posted:

almost certainly dead within 5 years hmm yes I see the important scientific distinction

"Eh it's only very probable my cat will die young. That's way different from saying they definitely will."

-- someone calling themselves a scientist

You'd also think someone calling themselves a scientist would know how to support their position beyond saying "no you're dumb" and "tl;dr I'm not listening". Not even a single link to a questionable website to support your position, let alone any actual research or veterinarians' evidence-based recommendations?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

"almost certainly dead within 5 years" implies something like a 95% probability that will happen. "Certainly" is 100% after all. Nothing you or the other dipshit posted comes close to showing that.

And no I don't need to provide evidence, this is your contention. Show me that my cat will be almost certainly dead within 5 years in the countryside in Switzerland.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

No surprise but Paprikash just needed some time to settle. She's incredibly needy about food which is a little annoying, but she's at least taken the hint about waking me up in the morning

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

morestuff posted:

No surprise but Paprikash just needed some time to settle. She's incredibly needy about food which is a little annoying, but she's at least taken the hint about waking me up in the morning

This is a pro cat

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

morestuff posted:

Hands down the best cat image I've seen in a long time.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hey so cats should really stay indoors

But aside from that, don't suppose anyone has any advice for making it easier for a cat sitter to check on a very shy cat?

I'd asked up thread, but it was in the middle of the discussion. We'll be away for two weeks which is obviously quite awhile, and I'd definitely feel better if I could think of a way for the cat sitter to be able to check on the shy one of our two cats, rather than just seeing if he ate some food by checking the microchip feeder and stuff

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

But aside from that, don't suppose anyone has any advice for making it easier for a cat sitter to check on a very shy cat?

I'd asked up thread, but it was in the middle of the discussion. We'll be away for two weeks which is obviously quite awhile, and I'd definitely feel better if I could think of a way for the cat sitter to be able to check on the shy one of our two cats, rather than just seeing if he ate some food by checking the microchip feeder and stuff

We had this issue with our cat Daenerys who is incredibly shy. We never really solved it, she just got used to our cat-sitter eventually.

Is she an only cat?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Unfortunately, the only advice I have for this is to tell the cat sitter at length about how shy he is, don't worry if you don't see him, etc., which will ensure that he comes out every time and is very sweet just to make you look like a weirdo

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

We had this issue with our cat Daenerys who is incredibly shy. We never really solved it, she just got used to our cat-sitter eventually.

Is she an only cat?

Nope, he's got a much more outgoing cat friend that's a year older than him

He's 100% a sweetie with us, but even a knock on the door or a doorbell ring sends him flying upstairs to hide under the covers like he did when he was a kitten and we weren't there. I wish we'd figured out a way to socialize him better but it was during the height of COVID when we got him :sigh:

He'll have the other cat around and everything to keep him company at least, and luckily they've moved beyond wrestling involving hissing and stuff, they get along pretty great now

Antivehicular posted:

Unfortunately, the only advice I have for this is to tell the cat sitter at length about how shy he is, don't worry if you don't see him, etc., which will ensure that he comes out every time and is very sweet just to make you look like a weirdo

:hmmyes:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Nope, he's got a much more outgoing cat friend that's a year older than him

He's 100% a sweetie with us, but even a knock on the door or a doorbell ring sends him flying upstairs to hide under the covers like he did when he was a kitten and we weren't there. I wish we'd figured out a way to socialize him better but it was during the height of COVID when we got him :sigh:

He'll have the other cat around and everything to keep him company at least, and luckily they've moved beyond wrestling involving hissing and stuff, they get along pretty great now

:hmmyes:

That's tough. What we tried was limiting the number of hiding places she could retreat to, which we were already doing to force her to be more social and come out of her shell (we left some so she could feel safe, but ones that we could easily access in an emergency). Then we made note of her most common hidey holes and left that for the sitter.

It had mixed results, and I'm not sure how many nooks you have there, but we had a very patient sitter who would search to be sure she got a picture to update us with. Aside from that, yeah all you can do is look for side effects of cat existence: is food still going down at the same rate, do you find fewer clumps when scooping litter. That's all I can think of.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Last time I had a cat sitter for a few weeks my incredibly shy cat started coming out of hiding within a few days and hanging out in the same room as them as long as they didn't do anything too scary. I think it would be less stressful to the cat to tell the sitter not to go disturb them in their hiding place and just do what you do with shy cats (leave them alone and don't interact unless they want to) so they hopefully relax a bit.

Especially if it's a young cat with no existing health issues or history of getting in trouble all the time, chances are they're gonna be just fine for a couple of weeks.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

Last time I had a cat sitter for a few weeks my incredibly shy cat started coming out of hiding within a few days and hanging out in the same room as them as long as they didn't do anything too scary. I think it would be less stressful to the cat to tell the sitter not to go disturb them in their hiding place and just do what you do with shy cats (leave them alone and don't interact unless they want to) so they hopefully relax a bit.

Especially if it's a young cat with no existing health issues or history of getting in trouble all the time, chances are they're gonna be just fine for a couple of weeks.

That makes sense, maybe just sitting and cuddling with the older one will lure him out

He's only 2 and aside from having worms after we got him he's had no major health issues, so I'm sure he'll be fine. I just hope he can come out for at least a little bit, if only to get his wet food treat (and to keep an eye on him of course)

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Then we made note of her most common hidey holes and left that for the sitter.

we're definitely going to list his usual spots, at the very least in case there's an emergency or something while they're visiting

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe a camera set up some place where the shy cat usually goes? that way you or the sitter can check in while no one is there and see that the kitty is ok

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

Can everyone just shut the gently caress up and post pictures of their cats instead?

I don't remember which cats of mine I've posted, but I know I haven't posted any in here in years, so.

This here was a kitten:

But she turned into a cat:

Officially, her name is Loki, but she also answers to Kitten, Mew, and Biscuit (she needed a silly nickname, because she's kind of a silly kitty). She is currently not very happy about some new cats in the house, but she's a good little kitty and when everyone in the house was sad because another cat had died, she came in and cheered us all up.

For those in the Chicago area, she came from Tree House on Western near Touhy. They are a great organization, and the time they put in to socialize her really shows. I do my "optional" charitable giving at work to these guys. They really care about their cats.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
My two boys

And my friends' cat

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Friend's little goblin. Her name is Peppermint Patty

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

We’ve had Affie for 6 months now and we are spending a week away to my in-laws. We tried to find a cat sitter but we weren’t able to find one we could trust so we likely have to take her with us. It’s only a 1 hour car journey so shouldn’t be too bad on that front, but worried at how the cat will react to a new place. We are bringing over her favourite blanket, cat bed, toys, treats and even the litter tray to make stuff as familiar as possible. We will put most of it in our bedroom so she’ll be surrounded by our smell as well. Really just hoping that she will not be too stressed really :/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

She'll be super stressed unless you got that one in a million cat that doesn't give a poo poo, generally speaking cats don't handle new environments well. But if you got no other options they generally adapt to whatever situation they're in.. given enough time (possibly months).

Or she'll turn to a life of crime and start smoking, it's impossible to predict definitively.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

It's probably best to keep her to just one room, possibly even a bathroom. Most cats will be freaked out either way, but at least if you keep her in one closed room she won't escape and might chill out when she's familiar with the small environment.

There are some "adventure cats" who really don't care and will be chill anywhere, but that's a rare exception and usually they're used to moving and seeing new places from kittenhood on.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have no idea how I found the one cat who has almost no trouble acclimating to new lodging. Cabins, hotel rooms, parents’ homes, AirBnBs, whatever.

He just doesn’t like crates.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I have no idea how I found the one cat who has almost no trouble acclimating to new lodging. Cabins, hotel rooms, parents’ homes, AirBnBs, whatever.

Our first cat socks was like that as well. Totally fine in any new location but absolutely hated carriers

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pollyanna posted:

That's been my experience with my cat, she settles down after a couple hours in the crate, and is perfectly fine wherever I've taken her after we get there.

She was a little bit apprehensive after our most recent move, but settled down as soon as the furniture showed up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

One of ours is chill no matter where she goes. She'll sniff the corners once and then flop on the floor like she owns the place. Even at the vet she always gets comments for having such a low heart rate (meaning she's not stressed out).

Would be the perfect adventure cat but she is terrified of cars. All the weird noises they make is just too much for her.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

xzzy posted:

Even at the vet she always gets comments for having such a low heart rate (meaning she's not stressed out).

:lol:

That is the one place that my cat does not do well. She gets so stressed out at the vet that a few years ago the vet convinced me to schedule an angiogram for heart disease.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Affie does not like to be picked up, she'll complain and moan and want to get free as soon as possible.

I am constantly amazed when we bring her to the vet and the vet just grabs her, she doesn't complain, allows the vet to prop her mouth open.

I think she's either scared and freezes at the vet, or somehow knows that me and my wife are beginner cat owners and hesitant around her.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My cat loves all people including the vet, she also loves her carrier which always amuses the vet assistant. "Oh, you want to go back inside? :catte:"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pidan posted:

My cat loves all people including the vet, she also loves her carrier which always amuses the vet assistant. "Oh, you want to go back inside? :catte:"

Leaving the vet's office is literally the only time my cat will voluntarily get into her crate (and also the only time she's silent after getting in the crate)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Penny at the vet:

Abby:

It's easy to tell who's chill and who's not.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

xzzy posted:

Penny at the vet:

That cat is planning at least ten different murders. :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I live in a condo with a balcony approximately 15 feet above the ground. That is the only outdoor space that our cats get, it's where the litter boxes reside. I'm in the middle of Long Beach. This shitten (she's full grown now obviously) managed to catch a sparrow on said balcony. She was gently holding it in her mouth when I figured out what was going on, so I was able to set it free unharmed. She's also avoided at least two hawk swooping attempts. I've seen fresh impact mark from a rather large one on the sliding glass door (it's not a big balcony) this past year. I had watched a hawk hang out on the neighbor's roof for 15 minutes waiting for her to come back out another time.

A couple months ago I saw a juvenile coyote trot out of the alley by my condo. Plenty of cats are roaming around my area. Most of them come and go, but there was only one I would see on the regular. He obviously is a little more street savvy, he was our Top Cat. I've seen him once dragging around a sticky trap stuck on the length of his hind leg. I then saw him weeks later without that sticky trap thank god. I've also seen him torment other neighborhood cats a block down the street. But I have not seen him in recent months.

And I could show you the before and after photos of the recent friendly stray that we rehabilitated. I would have given him maybe one more week on the street before he'd be a goner, if we hadn't made him an indoor cat.