Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
So apparently in IGN Japan's interview it was explicitly mentioned that there will be no coop, at least in the main story missions. Is there anyone here that knows japanese and can check the original article?

google translate posted:

Yamamura: Regarding multiplayer, I'm thinking mainly about battle mode. Just like the past games in the series, I think you can enjoy it by colliding with each other as well as showing off the aircraft that you are proud of.

On the other hand, regarding the main story mode, co-op play is not included in order to focus on things like dynamic action, free-running aircraft, and active changes during missions. We are focusing on a rich experience that can only be achieved in single play.

Original article: https://jp.ign.com/armored-core-6/64541/interview/armored-core-vi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I hope that they bring back that option to add other pilots to your team in exchange for a chunk of the payout, but allow for player ACs to come in. Not necessarily multiplayer but more like Dragons Dogma pawns

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I hope that they bring back that option to add other pilots to your team in exchange for a chunk of the payout, but allow for player ACs to come in. Not necessarily multiplayer but more like Dragons Dogma pawns

Their kind ill likes fire support!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
What, still here? Hand it over, that thing, your OP-INTENSIFY

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

7c Nickel posted:

This is kind of a tangent, but apparently earlier this year https://xemu.app/ advanced to the point that it can perfectly emulate Phantom Crash.

If you like the sound of an arena AC-like filtered through Jet Set Radio with a wild rear end OST of Japanese indie music, you should consider tracking down what you need to play.

There's also a... ?plot? about a... dying military AI? that's helping a schoolgirl launch her Vtuber idol career?

The plot isn't why you're here. You're here to paint your Scoobee electric pink and blare Japanese psychobilly while racking up money to upgrade your AI copilot which is also a dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lpaQk6CRmM

Phantom Crash and it's PS2 sequel S.L.A.I. are both rad as hell and were basically my intro to Mech Games.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My armored core experience doesn't extend past a PS1 demo disk where I shot mechs on a green plain and then in a metal pipeworks tunnel. The trailer looks very grey. Now, Fromsoft games have always looked beautiful even if they have muted colors, so I'm not super worried, but can anyone who's played the previous AC games speak to their visuals?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

My armored core experience doesn't extend past a PS1 demo disk where I shot mechs on a green plain and then in a metal pipeworks tunnel. The trailer looks very grey. Now, Fromsoft games have always looked beautiful even if they have muted colors, so I'm not super worried, but can anyone who's played the previous AC games speak to their visuals?

The PS1 and PS2 games are quite varied and colorful, yes. Hell, the second of the two demo missions has you zipping around a big bright blue patch of water blowing poo poo up.

It's only when you get to the PS3 era that the games start to lose their colour saturation. By Armored Core 1 through Last Raven look fantastic for their time.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

nine-gear crow posted:

The PS1 and PS2 games are quite varied and colorful, yes. Hell, the second of the two demo missions has you zipping around a big bright blue patch of water blowing poo poo up.

It's only when you get to the PS3 era that the games start to lose their colour saturation. By Armored Core 1 through Last Raven look fantastic for their time.

The second demo mission was 100% the jam for many kids who didn't have real games but had the demo's available, just going to say.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jack B Nimble posted:

They were fine up until the seventh gen games, at which point it seems like they didn't really have the artists or performance that they needed. A lot of the environments in 4 and 5 just seem really phoned in compared to the mechanical designs, although 5 not as much. They wound up with a bunch of really coherent and detailed mechanical designs and a bunch of levels that looked like they could have been in a dozen different games. The shaders and stuff look bad now but I don't think were probably fine at the time. If AC6 actually looks anything like the trailer art direction wise then the game is going to be a lot better than the previous installments.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 22, 2022

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

4 had a lot of very basic level designs with large open spaces, probably to make sure the NEXTs had the space to use their insane speed. As well as the arms forts needing to fit onto the map. 5 had more interesting level designs but came out during the era where every single console game was just loving brown.

E: Fromsoft have gotten a bit better at doing "dead worlds" that also manage to include color nowadays.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, if this is their next big title I'm confident, I suppose it's mostly that the trailer didn't wow me visually (in the setting, the mechs were cool), but most Dark Souls 3 locations are actually a bit muted but still look fantastic.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

it's a special trick to have the sense of design and mood that sidesteps one's automatic childhood glee response about 'big robots are cool' and instead makes you say gently caress these mechs are scary

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 23, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The solar system is on fire so probably a lotta red

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You know what else is red

Nine-ball

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Astroniomix posted:

4 had a lot of very basic level designs with large open spaces, probably to make sure the NEXTs had the space to use their insane speed. As well as the arms forts needing to fit onto the map. 5 had more interesting level designs but came out during the era where every single console game was just loving brown.

E: Fromsoft have gotten a bit better at doing "dead worlds" that also manage to include color nowadays.

4 is on the same console as AC6 and the difference between their levels is night and day. I don't think that it's really a matter of them needing to be basic and open, just that From Software didn't put in remotely the same amount of effort in making their environments look like actual locations as Project Aces.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
They're releasing the game on March-April, right? RIGHT!????????????? :sludgepal:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

4 is on the same console as AC6 and the difference between their levels is night and day. I don't think that it's really a matter of them needing to be basic and open, just that From Software didn't put in remotely the same amount of effort in making their environments look like actual locations as Project Aces.

I'm not going to say you were trying to be confusing there, but I had to do a doubletake considering the game that's the subject of the thread.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fun to speculate about. AC games have primarily seen NA releases in Sept/Oct, 4-5 months after the JP release. HOWEVER, that's going back to the days before FROM was doing simultaneous worldwide releases, and in the last decade they seem to favor the end of Q1, end of the japanese fiscal year

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm not going to say you were trying to be confusing there, but I had to do a doubletake considering the game that's the subject of the thread.

from software did us a favor by switching to roman numerals with V

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

from software did us a favor by switching to roman numerals with V

It lets them make more puns that way.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Armored Core VI : Rubix of Sextuple

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Armored Core InVincible

E: gently caress, that's 4

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 23, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Armored Core VIndication Station

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AtomikKrab posted:

The second demo mission was 100% the jam for many kids who didn't have real games but had the demo's available, just going to say.

i had plenty of games but somehow never actually got armored core so that demo hosed for a long long time

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

nine-gear crow posted:

It lets them make more puns that way.

Uh obviously you missed Armored Core Fo(u)r Answer.

They even rotated the 4 so it looks like an F.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

armoured coure: double A game

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also a bit of shameless holiday cross promotion, once we get the thread tag decided upon and VG uploads it to the SA servers, I can use this thread here to give anyone who wants it to them for free.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020258

Just make sure you say you want the Armored Core thread tag so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

so were the mods were too busy to grant us gangtags

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

so were the mods were too busy to grant us gangtags

I don't think anyone has messaged VG about getting the tags uploaded onto the server, and I, like an idiot, sent the Christmas probation thread to the Goldmine without realizing I still needed it to give certain people the gangtag, so once VG gets everything uploaded I'll come up another another alternative.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Poor veegy lol. I can message him about the tags, though I might wait until jeffrey's nuke expires so he has one less thing on his mind

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nineball is babytown frolics compared to the two mechs that just stood at the top of the skybox and hit me off these loving boxes with perfect accuracy

What a bullshit level, I ended up save scumming it. Rest of the game was pretty good though

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 30, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Nineball is babytown frolics compared to the two mechs that just stood at the top of the skybox and hit me off these loving boxes with perfect accuracy

What a bullshit level, I ended up save scumming it. Rest of the game was pretty good though

Yeah, there's a lot I like about the final level on paper, but in practice it's the biggest pain in the rear end in the game, and not by a small margin.

Armored Core 1 has a lot more precision platforming than most of the later games. It's something that the controls don't really support, even if they do a good job in some other areas.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also lol that the phantasm arena fighters get the human plus stuff. I had to scam a lot of them out with the mine forest and sniping at the end

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Also lol that the phantasm arena fighters get the human plus stuff. I had to scam a lot of them out with the mine forest and sniping at the end

I mean, if the player can get them, and it exists in the narrative, it makes sense that some of the lucky few who stay stable after Human Plus experiments would reach the top of the arena.

Did you use the garage? A lot of fights get much easier in the garage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, if the player can get them, and it exists in the narrative, it makes sense that some of the lucky few who stay stable after Human Plus experiments would reach the top of the arena.

Did you use the garage? A lot of fights get much easier in the garage.

Oh I don't mind them having it, I just thought it was funny the first time I got one-shot by Moonlight's energy wave, then spent a while getting my super heavyweight rear end blasted

I've been using the garage a ton yeah. Things got a lot easier after shedding weight but at least one AC would kill me in a second flat, more often than not before the game loaded my controls in.

I'm regretting not going for Human Plus after all lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 3, 2023

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Finished Armored Core 2 + AA, moved onto AC3, you guys weren’t kidding when you said they went crazy with overheat damage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forgot I had AC3 and Formula Front on the PSP lol

Formula Front is kind of neat, just letting the AI do its thing

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
FF is a puzzle game. That's the secret nobody told me.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

is that the carnage heart of armored core

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao that Master of Arena's revenge quest keeps getting interrupted because you have to actually do your job