Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you're interested in checking out Blood on the Clocktower, and are into Mafia/Werewolf do yourselves a favour and watch this ep - Promise you won't be disappointed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vowj_vM4XMQ

No spoilers, but it perfectly encapsulates the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I went to a boardgame shop with my boardgame-ambivalent wife and she bought two little £5 card games for playing at Christmas after dinner, at the table.

Not to be outdone I impulse bought Eldritch Horror. On a scale of 1-10 how likely is it going to be a complete catastrophe when I sit her down to play it at some point? My only saving grace is that I have already bought her a Lovecraft book set for Xmas itself, and she likes Pandemic. Please help...

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
As long as one player knows the rules well, it isn't the worst thing. There is a limited number of different actions you can do and most of the game is just skill checks and doing what the cards say. Maybe just start playing and explain your turns and what you are doing as you go.

I do not envy you, though. I just got into Arkham Horror LCG and I'm terrified of the day I have to teach it to my partner, since she has patience for 10 minutes of rules at a time... Just like EH, it is not a hard game to play, but at first it looks intimidating.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Play a solo game before showing it to her. If one player “runs” the game - handling all the end of turn stuff, drawing cards from the appropriate decks, reading out monster tokens, etc it massively lightens the load on everyone else, the they really just have to decide where to go on their turn which is what most of the important decision making in the game is about.

It’s similar to pandemic in that it’s about how you balance time between troubleshooting/stopping problems from cascading and working to win the game - with the additional axis of how much time you want to invest in upgrading your characters abilities and gear. And most of that is just about where you go on the map to action stuff.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 21, 2022

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Character choice can honestly make a big difference for how much someone likes the game too. Depends on personality of course, but I feel like most people would enjoy it more if their first character was Lily Chen (who is practically designed to run around the globe and get into adventures) as opposed to Charlie Kane (who mostly sits in one spot and buys items for everyone else).

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 21, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arzaac posted:

Character choice can honestly make a big difference for how much someone likes the game too. Depends on personality of course, but I feel like most people would enjoy it more if their first character was Lily Chen (who is practically designed to run around the globe and get into adventures) as opposed to Charlie Kane (who mostly sits in one spot and buys items for everyone else).

If you're playing Eldritch Horror with two people then it's recommended that you each control two characters. The game is best balanced at 4 anyway, but it also means that you can be both Lily and Charlie.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Infinitum posted:

If you're interested in checking out Blood on the Clocktower, and are into Mafia/Werewolf do yourselves a favour and watch this ep - Promise you won't be disappointed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vowj_vM4XMQ

No spoilers, but it perfectly encapsulates the genre.

Laurie's my Demon.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Arzaac posted:

This is hilarious to me as someone not familiar with Eldritch Horror, because in the Arkham Horror LCG Lily Chen is pretty weird to deckbuild and play (she's a purple Mystic which is generally a pretty hard class to play well, except her deckbuilding requirements are actually mostly around blue Guardian, which is a gun-heavy color, except she can't take guns....etc.) and Charlie Kane is just easy and fun and thematic to play. "Eh whatever toss another few companions in there, it'll work out fine."

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Rockman Reserve posted:

This is hilarious to me as someone not familiar with Eldritch Horror, because in the Arkham Horror LCG Lily Chen is pretty weird to deckbuild and play (she's a purple Mystic which is generally a pretty hard class to play well, except her deckbuilding requirements are actually mostly around blue Guardian, which is a gun-heavy color, except she can't take guns....etc.) and Charlie Kane is just easy and fun and thematic to play. "Eh whatever toss another few companions in there, it'll work out fine."

Lily Chen is great in every Arkham files game. Just running around punching monsters in their stupid faces until they die like it's nothing.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

When you say, better balanced, do you mean easier? I’m a bit wary already about the complexity already and I wonder if adding an extra characters control might be too much.

We had a lot of fun when we lose pandemic, but it was a bit of an uphill struggle to get a buy-in to the rules and mechanics.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

When you say, better balanced, do you mean easier? I’m a bit wary already about the complexity already and I wonder if adding an extra characters control might be too much.

We had a lot of fun when we lose pandemic, but it was a bit of an uphill struggle to get a buy-in to the rules and mechanics.

While I haven't played EH and haven't played much of the new edition of the AH board game, the problem that these games tend to run into is that even though they're honestly as balanced as they probably can be for other player counts (e.g. in Arkham Horror LCG, doom advances one tick per round no matter how many players they are, and the power of having more investigators to deal with is countered by everyone drawing a Mythos card every round) it's still much easier to succeed with more players just because they can cover more of the game board/map effectively and accomplish different goals faster.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

High Tension Wire posted:

I do not envy you, though. I just got into Arkham Horror LCG and I'm terrified of the day I have to teach it to my partner, since she has patience for 10 minutes of rules at a time... Just like EH, it is not a hard game to play, but at first it looks intimidating.
It's not all-comprehensive and you'll still need to go through the rulebook, but I found the Arkham LCG 20min FFG video tutorial pretty useful for the 2nd player.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Arkham horror lcg owns. World class co op pcg experience. Holds up to casual play and competitive ex mtg nerd abuse

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yo was this thread always at 2 bars or was that a recent thing? The hell happened? I didn't know people were even rating this thread

e: lol guess that got others to try and balance the rating

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 22, 2022

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Watch It Played also has very good video tutorial for Akrham LCG. Non-game-owners really just basically need to know what are stats and how skill checks work, since like 90% of the gameplay is skill checks.

I got to finally play couple tutorial scenarios with a friend a while back, and drat if that wasn't one of the best and most intense boardgaming experiences. The game rules hard.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm been thinking of buying another coop game, mostly meant for people who are relatively new to board games, so preferably I'd like a game trending towards the simpler end of the spectrum. The co-op titles I already have are Just One, Spirit Island, Codenames Duet and The Crew and I was mostly thinking of something with a board or some other board-like component (so not exclusively card-based like The Crew or Hanabi). I was originally planning on getting Pandemic Iberia but it's like $60 + shipping where I usually shop lol Looking at other alternatives, I saw that Forbidden Desert is half the price. Would it be a good fit for what I'm looking for? Looking at some videos it seems a tad more complex than Island but not that more so.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Honestly, I played forbidden desert once, and I’m willing to admit I might have misunderstood something – but it seemed to have all of the depth of a shallow puddle, and I had absolutely no desire to play a second time!

Maybe pandemic legacy? There is certainly a lot of meat in that and it’s very fun to play even as a vanilla version.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, complexity (or lack thereof, in this case) was my main concern. I'll mull it over some more; I just find it very funny that my collection goes from very light co-ops straight to one of the most complex ones :v:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Panleg seems a bad pick for people new to the hobby. A multiple week commitment seems a harsh sentence for someone showing interest in boardgames.
Maybe regular Pan, I'm sure Iberia is better but there's still plenty of play in base version.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Azran posted:

I'm been thinking of buying another coop game, mostly meant for people who are relatively new to board games, so preferably I'd like a game trending towards the simpler end of the spectrum. The co-op titles I already have are Just One, Spirit Island, Codenames Duet and The Crew and I was mostly thinking of something with a board or some other board-like component (so not exclusively card-based like The Crew or Hanabi). I was originally planning on getting Pandemic Iberia but it's like $60 + shipping where I usually shop lol Looking at other alternatives, I saw that Forbidden Desert is half the price. Would it be a good fit for what I'm looking for? Looking at some videos it seems a tad more complex than Island but not that more so.

Well, the issue with this request is that many other highly-ranked co-op games are a fair bit more complex for people who are newer to board games, and at that point you already own Spirit Island. Games like Mage Knight or Gloomhaven or Nemesis or Mansions of Madness 2E may or may not be loved by goons but are all very complicated to expect out of newer gamers.

How many are you typically playing with? Burgle Bros or Burgle Bros 2 might fit the bill, but they max at 4 players and are considered best at 3. They are pretty straightforward. You probably would have trouble teaching your parents but a budding enthusiast should be fine.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Maybe regular Pan, I'm sure Iberia is better but there's still plenty of play in base version.

Another upside to regular Pandemic that is it has expansion, but that is probably putting the cart way before the horse.

I'll just reiterate that Pandemic: Iberia is extremely good, widely considered to be the best in the series outside of the Legacy games. It's hard to recommend another co-op above it, and you already have every other multiplayer co-op the thread generally recommends. Still, for half the price (on Amazon at least) it might be worth getting the OG edition and seeing if your players like it. Honestly, I can imagine at least a few gamers who will look at a world putting aside their differences by coming together to fight a viral menace and just immediately become sad for unknown reasons.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

Not to be outdone I impulse bought Eldritch Horror. On a scale of 1-10 how likely is it going to be a complete catastrophe when I sit her down to play it at some point? My only saving grace is that I have already bought her a Lovecraft book set for Xmas itself, and she likes Pandemic. Please help...

Eldritch Horror is great! It's unlikely you'll experience more than a minor, category-3 catastrophe! It's not really a complex game, but it can get very unwieldy. The setup takes a little while, because you have to organize tons of little decks, and search for specific starting items for your investigators and so forth. They can take up quite a bit of table space, too, so be prepared to spread things out! You may want to run through setting up a game a few times.

If you eventually wind up getting any large-box expansions, you may want to consider organizing everything between one of them and the starting box for quicker setup (I used to put all the investigators and encounters and tiny cards into one box, and all the Ancient ones and monster chits and stuff into the other box). Even a tiny investment of time spent organizing EH in some way that is convenient seems to pay off exponentially, moreso than any other game on my shelf.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

:w00t: my copy of Blood on the Clocktower arrived. I haven't even opened the box yet but is there anything I should know to make it run smoothly? I think I'm having a bunch of people over to play on NYE.

Southern Heel posted:

Honestly, I played forbidden desert once, and I’m willing to admit I might have misunderstood something – but it seemed to have all of the depth of a shallow puddle, and I had absolutely no desire to play a second time!

Maybe pandemic legacy? There is certainly a lot of meat in that and it’s very fun to play even as a vanilla version.

Maybe I'm biased because I loathed how simple and boring Forbidden Island was, but I've actually always really liked Forbidden Desert - it builds on the base of Island and adds just enough twists and mild randomization to really minimize quarterbacking and generate some interesting decision situations. But it is still basically the minimum possible complexity to make a co-op game interesting.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Rockman Reserve posted:

:w00t: my copy of Blood on the Clocktower arrived. I haven't even opened the box yet but is there anything I should know to make it run smoothly? I think I'm having a bunch of people over to play on NYE.

A random collection of thoughts:

How many players will you have? If you have less than 7, remember that the Demon doesn’t get bluffs and the evil team doesn’t know each other.

Do run Trouble Brewing as the script for a while. TB had enough going on that let’s people get comfortable with the game without breaking them. Sometimes it still breaks people, and that’s ok!

Make sure you, as the Storyteller, understand what being drunk and poisoned means, and also how the Drunk affects setup.

The summary included in the game to read to your players before their first game is pretty good to get your first game started. Don’t go over nominations, voting, or executions until the end of the first day. Your players will have enough to worry about during the first night.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

If you've never played in person before, the key things are:

Make sure the circle is big enough that you can move around in it while carrying the grimoire.
Make sure the circle has an opening somewhere so you can get in and out of it
Don't step on the town square. (Don't worry, you absolutely will, and it'll be funny, especially if it happens during a night phase and everyone with their eyes closed just hears you go "aw, gently caress" or whatever.)

Beyond mechanical stuff like that, just make the game flow with the players. If players don't get up and walk around to chat with each other, then keep the days short and the game moving. If players aren't nominating, give them a countdown and then move on. If players *ARE* moving around and chatting, listen in on things to make sure everyone understands their roles and to hear what people are bluffing as. (If a minion is bluffing as whatever and gets executed while the undertaker is poisoned, for example, show the undertaker the bluffed role.)

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
https://twitter.com/MarcDWyz/status/1606002435754860545?s=20&t=FGAZ0JtFu9UjwPz0QcH5tg

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Azran posted:

I think Forbidden Desert would be a good fit to what you are looking for. It was my first coop game I played and I thought the rules were pretty straight forward. The only part that is kind of weird is the way the storm moves; the storm is just an empty tile space that moves around by sliding tiles around it. I don't know why the game didn't use a storm tile/marker instead of an empty space. It took awhile to get used to.

If you are looking for other alternatives, I recommend the original Horrified. The rules are simple, it has a lots a replay value, and you can easily adjust the difficulty by having less or more monsters.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

This has also come up in the industry thread if anyone wants to see the discussion. Not to dissuade the chat, because as we all know, gently caress That Guy. As this gains momentum, more of these are saying DMCA which is notable because that is absolutely a horse of a different color than the begrudging acceptance that a trademark dispute might raise. At least from a casual lay observer like me.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
Anyone have a recommendation for a relatively cheap neoprene/rubber mat to throw down for board games? All the ones I pull up on Amazon have questionable reviews. It probably doesn’t matter and I should just order whatever, but if anyone has recommendations.

Looking for something maybe 36x36…

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

snickles posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a relatively cheap neoprene/rubber mat to throw down for board games? All the ones I pull up on Amazon have questionable reviews. It probably doesn’t matter and I should just order whatever, but if anyone has recommendations.

I have some Big Viking Mats, they cut any size you want. I don't know what "relatively cheap" means but I've had mine for years and they've held up.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I can highly recommend boardgametables for their playmats - I did a bulk buy for my gaming group and every single person who bought one loves it.
https://www.boardgametables.com/products/board-game-playmat

An alternative I used for a while was some velvet fabric with a floor/rug stopper underneath if you want the cheapest option.
Worked well.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Stitching can press into your arms if you have a mat that sits flush with the edge of the table. May or may not be an issue for your use case

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

Stitching can press into your arms if you have a mat that sits flush with the edge of the table. May or may not be an issue for your use case

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have some Big Viking Mats, they cut any size you want. I don't know what "relatively cheap" means but I've had mine for years and they've held up.

Infinitum posted:

I can highly recommend boardgametables for their playmats - I did a bulk buy for my gaming group and every single person who bought one loves it.
https://www.boardgametables.com/products/board-game-playmat

An alternative I used for a while was some velvet fabric with a floor/rug stopper underneath if you want the cheapest option.
Worked well.

I've never had a mat, period, so I really have no idea what I'm looking for. I looked on Amazon and all the reviews looked astroturfed so I was afraid to order anything. Thanks for the recommendations!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Boargametable mat has been amazing. Very luxurious, mine has a shoulder carrying case too.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Rockman Reserve posted:

To add to what everyone else has said, if you have the time for it I'd recommend watching some of the No Rolls Barred episodes on YouTube, especially the first in person one as the Storytellers usually explain their decision making process for things like drunk/poisoned information, and also are a good way to get a preview of some of the physicality of the game.

Also, definitely recommend to your players that they go off and have private conversations! New players who have only played Werewolf/Mafia/The Resistance may not realize that this is an option, but private conversations are a very important part of the game and the game might stall a bit without them. They're the only way for demons and minions to share bluffs and strategize, or for good players with powerful roles to share their info without becoming immediate targets for the evil team.

In the same vein, you'll probably want to keep some sort of loose timer going, as the game can run long if you're letting people run around and have conversations without limits. Maybe 10 minutes for conversations on the first day, and 5-7 minutes from there? Time limits are also helpful for group discussions while nominations are open, but be sure to pause it once a nomination occurs as you need to give both players the chance to make their case without interruption.

On the topic of nominations, my final recommendation is to be very clear about the numbers and what the players are voting on each time there is a vote. As an example, just before you start the vote say something like "Rockman Reserve has nominated Breadnought, there are 10 players alive, so 5 votes are required to put Breadnought up for execution. Breadnought will be the last to vote." It helps avoid any misunderstandings.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've played maybe four or five games of the Flamme Rouge single player variant and I have no idea how you win that without just being incredibly lucky. Played a game today due to power outage in a huge winter storm (thanks climate change) and I drew a single exhaustion card the entire game, was able to make a mad sprint at the end, and the peleton team still sprinted one step ahead of me. Ooooh frustrating.

Still one of my favourite games, and I'm very annoyed at how much I want to get Heat now, thanks SUSD.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Calico is getting a steam game adaptation with some new features. The upcoming steam release will be called Quilts & Cats of Calico.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1993180/Quilts_and_Cats_of_Calico/

quote:

Stepping beyond adaptation
In Quilts & Cats of Calico, based on the board game Calico, you will be immersed in a warm, cosy world full of cuddly cats. Here the quilt bends under the weight of their paws and loud purring can be heard. It's a world full of patterns and designs awaiting the master quilt maker.

We also have a few surprises for the Calico fans like variations of the rules and mechanics in the campaign play. In addition to the well-known gameplay scenarios, new ones await to be discovered.

Quilt solo, with friends, or with strangers
Whether you want to quilt solo or prefer to compete with other players, Quilts & Cats of Calico will provide you with the corresponding gameplay mode. You will have cross-platform multiplayer at your disposal, during which you can invite friends or play ranked matches against random players. Online gameplay will include weekly challenges and player rankings. The more peaceful solo mode allows you to face AI of varying difficulty levels and is the perfect tool to hone your skills in a relaxed atmosphere.

Embark on an adventure to fight the evil corp
In the game, you can also enjoy the story mode campaign. An extraordinary world inspired by the works of Studio Ghibli awaits you. Here cats can shatter even the most stone-cold hearts. Take on the role of an itinerant tailor who travels the war-stricken world and sews quilts. Stand up to a ruthless corporation that threatens your guild. Create quilts, perfect your craft and help those you meet on your journey. Don't worry, you won't be alone - along the way you'll meet friends and, most importantly, cats whose help can prove invaluable…

Spend quality time with your cats
At Quilts & Cats of Calico, cats are active during your games. They are not just interested in what patterns you use on your quilt. They actively respond to what you do and have their own characters. They will lazily observe the board, romp and run around, and sometimes fall into a blissful nap. You can interact with them during the game, pet them, and shoo them away when they get in the way.

Extended customisation options
The game is full of cats, but there could always be more! In Quilts & Cats of Calico, you can create your own, making your game even more wholesome! You can give it a name, choose the colour of its fur and put on different outfits. If you wish, it will appear on the board during your gameplay. It will also be possible to change the background of the game and choose different quilt patterns. Pick what you like best!

Beautiful, relaxing music
We asked Pawel Górniak, the composer responsible for the soundtrack to the digital version of Wingspan, to create the music for Quilts & Cats of Calico. Thanks to it, you will not only be able to deeply feel the atmosphere of the game but let yourself be carried away by blissful relaxation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTkhNZk4xQ4

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
My copy of one deck galaxy came in. Stumbled through a first game, it was pretty good but there were a few rules that I don't think are super clear. I think after a few more games I'll get a better feel for how it plays.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Rockman Reserve posted:

Make sure you have the rules down pat. Make sure you understand how each character works, and how they might interact with each other. For example, can a Slayer kill a Recluse? (yes) Can a Monk prevent an Imp from killing itself and passing on to a minion? (yes)

As another person said, start with Trouble Brewing. It's a relatively simple set, but even so there's still plenty of room for confusion.

Don't over-explain the rules. Give a broad overview but don't worry about explaining every character. Make sure players understand that good players might lie about their roles just as much as evil, and that private chats are encouraged. If anyone is familiar with Werewolf, make sure to highlight the key differences (deads still play and don't reveal their roles, can nominate/be nominated once per day).

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

snickles posted:

The mats for X-Wing were/are 36x36, $40 USD, made from a thin and easily rollable neoprene but after all the asmodee and ffg weirdness they seem to be stuck in awaiting reprint hell and unavailable everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Phelddagrif posted:

If anyone is familiar with Werewolf, make sure to highlight the key differences (deads still play and don't reveal their roles, can nominate/be nominated once per day).

Those are two different distinctions, yeah?