Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Thinking about an Alhaitham/Ayato/Raiden/Yelan hyperbloom team.

But, like. Platonically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only real important part of hyperbloom is the electro trigger which is usually kuki, raiden, or lisa as the most reliable.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tae posted:

The only real important part of hyperbloom is the electro trigger which is usually kuki, raiden, or lisa as the most reliable.

Yeah, more or less. I've been using Kuki/kokomi/candace/nahida and it works out just fine because hyperbloom is insanely strong and I (probably) won't die with double healing

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Tae posted:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mordiceius posted:

Finally got updated and logged in.

I'm AR50, WL7.

This is my cast of characters by constellation level -

And this is my cast of characters by character level -

Now to actually re-learn the game. Seems like I haven't played since June.

Okay, I've finally spent enough time to get a handle on the game again. Trying to come up with my list of goals because goddamn if I don't have a list of everything I want to do, I accomplish nothing. I haven't touched the Sumaru story yet and probably won't for a while until I catch up on some other things - like finishing unlocking all of the Inazuma areas and knocking out some of these character story quests, of which I've done zero.

But for the time being - TEAM COMP TALK

Above are my lists of characters/contellations/levels -

I'd like to get four teams built out as I only really have my core one.

CORE TEAM - Beidou, Fischl, Xingqiu, Zhongli.
- This team has served me pretty well for quite a few levels. I haven't really touched Yelan at all. I took a break from the game basically right after pulling her. Can she replace Xingqiu in this team or is that awkward?

For my other 3 teams, I just have a smattering of characters that I bring in for various tasks. Like, an overworld roaming team that is Beidou/Ganyu/Yanfei/Zhongli (it's not very good, but it gets the job done).

I would love some recommendations on some team comps based on the characters I have.

For the core team, I plan on keeping it as Beidou/Fischl/Xingqiu/Zhongli, unless Yelan can sub for Xingqiu.

When it comes to team comps, I'm not going to constantly chase some meta. I build my teams by picking the characters I like and finding what I can make work.

As it stands, what I need is -
1 - a team for Ganyu. Would love a team that really makes Ganyu shine.
2 - a Yanfei/fire team. No Bennett. No, I don't care if he's powerful. I do not like the character.
3 - a team featuring Anemo (Jean?)

I don't care if this is done across 3 teams or all mashed into 1-2 teams, but does anyone have any recommendations?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
My problem with Ganyu is that she wants to be at a bit of a distance, and options to apply pyro repeatedly at a distance are limited (although I haven't tried that hard).
Perhaps Amber and/or Kazuha burst infused with pyro and then fling charged attacks?
But usually I just chuck Ganyu in a friendship team and don't bother with reactions, or just with freeze.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Lobsterpillar posted:

My problem with Ganyu is that she wants to be at a bit of a distance, and options to apply pyro repeatedly at a distance are limited (although I haven't tried that hard).
Perhaps Amber and/or Kazuha burst infused with pyro and then fling charged attacks?
But usually I just chuck Ganyu in a friendship team and don't bother with reactions, or just with freeze.

Yeah. I was figuring that I'd probably have a team that is "Ganyu and friends" and then a "Pyro/Anemo" team. I think that makes sense, at least.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yanfei can vape decently well with Xingqiu or Yelan I think. Maybe still give her Zhongli for shield since shes so squishy. Dunno who you'd want for the fourth though, maybe just throw Jean in there if you want to use an anemo so she can burst or skill sometimes?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Edit: nm, missed the end of your post

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 23, 2022

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021

Mordiceius posted:

CORE TEAM - Beidou, Fischl, Xingqiu, Zhongli.
- This team has served me pretty well for quite a few levels. I haven't really touched Yelan at all. I took a break from the game basically right after pulling her. Can she replace Xingqiu in this team or is that awkward?
You lose the minor healing and the damage reduction, but they're not strictly necessary on Zhongli teams if you're careful to keep Zhongli's shield up. She does give mobility and a damage buff for the on-field character in exchange. Incidentally, her E is really useful for getting around fast in the overworld.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Jean fits in well with a Keqing Aggravate team, which is good and has the added bonus of being pretty fun to play. Keqing/Fischl/Jean/Either Dendro MC or Collei. Your Dendro character will function fine here even if it isn't built up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eimi posted:

quick someone make a successful direct competitor for Genshin that way they need to give us a way to target specific standard characters. (I'm lucky enough to have Keqing but I really want Jean)

I want one more Jean copy so I can get her "surprisingly good for a standard banner constellation" C4 that gives a 40% Anemo shred. I think she could substitute for Faruzan in that case, and she also has the 15% attack speed bonus from C2. Probably not quite as good as the CDMG from Faruzan's C6, but I have no idea when/if I'll get her C6.

Crossing my fingers as I approach the next standard banner pity.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, I've been spending a bit of time on https://www.genshinlab.com/team/ but the problem is that it feels like so many of the builds focus on a small subset of characters like Kazuha, Hu Tao, Kokomi, Xiao, Yoimiya, and Ayaka (none of which I have).

Also - they need to put in another character that has overlap with Bennett because a good 50% of the builds have Bennett in them (I get why, I just don't like the character).

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 23, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, I've been spending a bit of time on https://www.genshinlab.com/team/ but the problem is that it feels like so many of the builds focus on a small subset of characters like Kazuha, Hu Tao, Kokomi, Xiao, Yoimiya, and Ayaka (none of which I have).

Also - they need to put in another character that has overlap with Bennett because a good 50% of the builds have Bennett in them (I get why, I just don't like the character).

https://akashadata.com/team/

use this site, you can filter out teams with benny on them (and other characters) by clicking on them and filter in characters you want to use by dragging them

usually you'll get results that have only been used in like 2-3 runs of abyss if you filter out all the meta characters, but hell, if it can provably beat abyss

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Endorph posted:

https://akashadata.com/team/

use this site, you can filter out teams with benny on them (and other characters)

usually you'll get results that have only been used in like 2-3 runs of abyss if you filter out all the meta characters, but hell, if it can provably beat abyss

Thanks, I'll check that out. That's exactly the kinda tool I was looking for.

Forward thinking too - I'm going to need to build a team around Dehya once she arrives because :swoon:

Overall, I feel like I just have kinda an awkward smattering of characters that don't really fit easily into a lot of the pre-made builds out there.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mordiceius posted:

2 - a Yanfei/fire team. No Bennett. No, I don't care if he's powerful. I do not like the character.

the best ganyu team you can make is probably a melt team which also uses bennett :v:

freeze is way more comfy but xq and yelan are pretty annoying to use for freeze since their rain swords are single target and don't trigger from charged shots. your best bet would be to combine one of them with sucrose for aoe hydro application and then diona as your healer because she'll get you cryo resonance plus energy for Ganyu (Qiqi sadly has 0 energy generation which makes her a lot worse than diona in most teams)
so ganyu + diona + xq/yelan + sucrose. keep in mind that you will want to do one uncharged leftclick in between each charged shot to reapply the hydro and keep enemies frozen.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 23, 2022

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Mordiceius posted:

Overall, I feel like I just have kinda an awkward smattering of characters that don't really fit easily into a lot of the pre-made builds out there.

I mean if you want to push the ever-increasing dps in a limited time portion of the game then yeah, the meta picks exist for a reason. It doesn't sound like that's what you want to do, so teams are more or less just a function of whatever you find fun. Make sure your peeps have sufficiently leveled 4* weapons (and ZL can just use Black Tassel) and get your levels/talents to a comfortable spot. At that point you can do everything with whatever you want, and making a team that actually utilizes reactions on top of that is gravy.

Since I'm assuming overworld only...

Mordiceius posted:

1. Ganyu + ZL is pretty much its own team, full stop. Throw XL in there and you get Melt. Sucrose would let you make pyro swirls for more melt.
2. Yanfei is just a pyro carry, so stacking her with XQ/Yelan is as good as it gets. Can go double hydro or replace XQ with Fischl/Raiden for more reactions. Stick Jean on the end of the team.
3. There's not much interesting to do with anemo on its own, but Sucrose/Beidou/Fischl/XQ taser is a thing and lets you group up and make lots of pretty numbers.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I have been grinding the emblem severed fate domain for months and I haven't gotten poo poo. Xiangling, Xingqiu, and Raiden are still using ATK circlets :(

So I gave up and started grinding XP leylines to level XL/XQ to 90. At least leveling up accomplishes something with not that huge of a resin investment, dunno why I haven't leveled them sooner. Why hold back when the enemies are lvl 90+?

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

1 - Sadly, the team that really makes Ganyu shine is Ganyu/Xiangling/Zhongli/Bennett. You can 3-shot bosses with that comp. But if you dislike using Bennett maybe using Sucrose instead to group enemies would be good. Or, if you get bored of charge shot gameplay you can use Ganyu as a support off-field Cryo with Yelan to freeze and Sucrose as the driver.

2 - You could try a vape team with Yanfei/Xingqiu/Yelan/Jean or overload with Yanfei/Fischl/Beidou/Jean. Jean is there to knock away anyone coming close to you and also tank a little when you inevitably run out of stamina from spamming Yanfei's charged attack.

3 - Jean isn't very good as a main DPS because she knocks enemies away and then you have to chase them to hit them with your sword. (She is very good as a support and at bullying cats though.) So Sucrose is probably your best bet for an Anemo team, like Sucrose/Fischl/Beidou/Yelan or Sucrose/Fischl/Xiangling/Barbara if you want a healer.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Jean’s ability to pickup groups of mooks then turn around and fire them into a lake makes her at least a 6*

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

sandorius posted:

1 - Sadly, the team that really makes Ganyu shine is Ganyu/Xiangling/Zhongli/Bennett. You can 3-shot bosses with that comp. But if you dislike using Bennett maybe using Sucrose instead to group enemies would be good. Or, if you get bored of charge shot gameplay you can use Ganyu as a support off-field Cryo with Yelan to freeze and Sucrose as the driver.

2 - You could try a vape team with Yanfei/Xingqiu/Yelan/Jean or overload with Yanfei/Fischl/Beidou/Jean. Jean is there to knock away anyone coming close to you and also tank a little when you inevitably run out of stamina from spamming Yanfei's charged attack.

3 - Jean isn't very good as a main DPS because she knocks enemies away and then you have to chase them to hit them with your sword. (She is very good as a support and at bullying cats though.) So Sucrose is probably your best bet for an Anemo team, like Sucrose/Fischl/Beidou/Yelan or Sucrose/Fischl/Xiangling/Barbara if you want a healer.

My response to everyone and every website hyping up Bennett:

But in all seriousness, he's not all that bad. I actually prefer him to Sucrose but I really really dislike the "I'm an awkward assistant who is also super shy" character trope that she seems to fill.

Look at this, I think the team comps that make the most sense to me would be:

CORE - Beidou/Fischl/Xingqiu/Zhongli
2nd Team - Ganyu/Xiangling/Zhongli/Bennett
3rd Team - Yanfei/Xingqiu/Yelan/Jean

This gives me enough variety but also enough overlap so I'm not leveling/gearing 20 characters.

I like reducing it to as few teams as possible while giving access to all of the elements. For me, it's about striking a balance between having easy access to my favorite characters, having all of the elements, and having a team that can actually perform against bosses. Jean isn't one I like, but she's powerful and Anemo and I don't really have much for Anemo characters. (I think my Jean is C1 too).

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and help in this team comp stuff. I've never been good at this poo poo. lol

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bennett and Yelan are kind of the team members that keep coming around. Have a flex spot? Bennet or Yelan fill it better than pretty much anyone else.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I think this should keep me happy until Dehya comes home. Then she gets her own team to lead.

Maybe I'll put together a Dendro team if I pull that Dendro boy from the next banner.

EDIT -

Actually it seems like this team is well-liked. Might as well try out a dendro character so I have one ready for if there are Dendro pillars in Sumaru

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 23, 2022

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Another thing to keep in mind for whenever you hit sumeru is that you might want to avoid pyro and electro units in you overworld teams. Mihoyo made the galaxy brain decision to have the mushroom enemies change their drop tables based on if they got hit by ANY pyro or electro. And as of right now, only a few weapons use the electro/pyro drop, while Nahida, Tig and Nilou need the regular spores. It took me about 4 days of grinding to notice I had a pile of worthless dust and no way to convert it. I'm still mad about it, all of the interesting dendro reactions need electro.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
otoh they made Sumeru exploration mechanics that work better with electro. Dunno if pyro is ever particularly useful despite it affecting stuff, though there are torch puzzles here and there anyway.

Collei is a great character for Sumeru overworld since she can do both the bow-required puzzles and dendro puzzles/traversal.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Space Opera posted:

I'm still mad about it, all of the interesting dendro reactions need electro.
All the more reason to run Nilou bloom teams.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Here we go. I think this will satisfy me for now. Gives me a nice roster of characters to work on upgrading without feeling too overwhelming.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

Here we go. I think this will satisfy me for now. Gives me a nice roster of characters to work on upgrading without feeling too overwhelming.

Your tazer team has a zhongli instead of a Heizou or Sucrose driver :/

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I use the activate fungi drops for the parametric transformer :shrug:

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Mordiceius posted:

You should probably include a hyperbloom team, you've got the characters for it. For hyperbloom you need a dendro, a hydro, and an electro character who can reliably hit the dendro cores. The two best options for electro are Raiden and Kuki, and you've got both. Kuki provides healing, while Raiden can do the job at any range. Hyperbloom triggers need the highest level you can give them, and the only stat that matters is elemental mastery. The sword you get from the current event works great with hyperbloom Kuki.

For dendro options, you've got Collei and Dendro Main Character (DMC). DMC is stronger, especially when you get their constellations by playing through Sumeru, but sometimes you need an archer. For both of them, their dendro application isn't great unless their burst is active. Crank up their energy recharge and give them a favonius weapon if you've got one.

For hydro, you've got Yelan and Xinqui, the strongest hydro applyers you can get. Xingqui is really good at generating energy for himself, especially if he has a sacrificial sword. Yelan can shoot hydro arrows, which gives you a long-range problem solving option. Just activate Raiden's skill and alternate between Yelan and Collei charge shots.

The fourth slot on the team has a few options. You can fit Beidou in there, the dendro reactions will help her deal damage. Running both Collei and DMC can help you build up dendro particles so at least one of them has their burst ready. Zhongli works too, he'll reduce the enemy resistance to dendro without interfering in the raactions.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Your tazer team has a zhongli instead of a Heizou or Sucrose driver :/

Doesn't look like he's running taser with that build, Beidou is primary onfield for that comp, and pretty fun if you're good at her block.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Ardlen posted:

All the more reason to run Nilou bloom teams.

I run a hyperbloom team with Kokomi, and just don't use the electro team member if mushrooms are around. It's not ideal but works well enough because Nahida does insane damage

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Props to Bennet for being so helpful despite being a walking jinx and a 4* Diluc knockoff.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

RareAcumen posted:

Props to Bennet for being so helpful despite being a walking jinx and a 4* Diluc knockoff.

How is he a Diluc knock off? Are you supposed to weave basic attacks between taps of his elemental skill? I always just use his burst and a charged skill then swap. Meanwhile after Diluc's burst I keep him on field unless I need to reup a shield or an off field skill.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bennet is literally nothing like diluc in any way shape or form beyond being pyro

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Endorph posted:

bennet is literally nothing like diluc in any way shape or form beyond being pyro

That's what I thought, but I also only got both of them in the 3.x cycle so was wondering if I've just been using them completely wrong.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh yeah no bad for you asking i just dont get what acumen means at all

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

oh yeah no bad for you asking i just dont get what acumen means at all

Oh mostly just being a shorter pyro sword-instead of greatsword- character with a charge attack instead of it being a combo

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I feel like way back when there was a melt Bennett team with Chongyun that would basically play like Diluc and use his skill to get melts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
There was! Bennett's skill applies 2 Units of pyro which chong could melt on all 4 hits of his ult. It was a pretty good early game blitz that was easy to set up, even when you didn't have access to 5 star artifacts.