Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

backup files, flatten, move only things obviously safe back on the fresh install?

yeah I'd hoped to avoid wiping the device but even typing it out I'm realizing it's a fool's errand

e: I think I'll try the ESET live disk first so I can at least verify the device is trustworthy enough to boot back up for backup purposes (i.e. so I don't backup the device's contents plus any extant infections onto the reimaged machine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah, real answer, nuke the poo poo out of it

as a point of guidance, MS has little windows info popups for "We now have a defense against cryptominers! Click here for more info" and when you click through it's just "Keep an install cd handy and store your poo poo on the cloud, lmao"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pile Of Garbage posted:

the X1 comes with a proprietary ethernet adapter that connects via what looks like a 1394 port but isn't. despite the weird port i'm pretty sure it's just USB.

jesus christ lenovo why even bother with this poo poo, just toss a usb-ethernet dongle in the box at that point

Hed posted:

mines an X1 too. I can force click on to WiFi to be on both simultaneously but it will never do that on its own. I’m using the Lenovo thunderbolt 4 dock (garbage) as Ethernet as well.

yeah i've got a thinkpad t15p, it's the only lenovo in the entire company and it was a hand-me-down from when my predecessor left. i can't charge the laptop off the usb-c port, i have to use a lenovo power adapter, so at home i have to plug in two cables (this is BULLSHIT) and i gotta lug an adapter with me when i go to the office.

like check this poo poo out. this is lenovo's answer to "what's the easiest way to connect a laptop to a dock that delivers power"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
on the other hand, the laptop on the lenovo is a lot nicer than on the dells we get. so it's tough. it's tough.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

jesus christ lenovo why even bother with this poo poo, just toss a usb-ethernet dongle in the box at that point

its an entirely passive dongle (lightpipes for the leds and all) to sell the machines to some weirdo places that still have as a checkbox requirement that there's a mac address printed on the case afaik.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

on the other hand, the laptop on the lenovo is a lot nicer than on the dells we get. so it's tough. it's tough.

i was full-time at one of our customers from last november to june and they had dells. holy shittttt they sucked so fuckin bad! they had alright specs but the construction of them meant they always ran hot af with the fans at 100%. it was so good when i came back head-office and could use the thinkpad again.

also about ~2 years ago before i got the thinkpad they gave me a surface 2 pro lmao. it was so awful but at least it was quieter than the dell...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
my work machine's dock solves the power problem this way

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im ready to inflict extreme violence on all those loving jpegs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

butt dickus posted:

my work machine's dock solves the power problem this way

dell solves the power problem by just sending 160+ watts on a single usb-c cable

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it does it both ways, i think that picture is a dell docking too

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Shaggar posted:

dell solves the power problem by just sending 160+ watts on a single usb-c cable
i'm using a dell precision 7670 with a dell wd19dcs. it will complain about not at full power if i just connect one of the cables or the single cable from the wd19s they also sent

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
do people serioulsy do all that stuff up above *points to all the pics*

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
my thinkpad runs off of one usb-c cable

it also has a proper ethernet port

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have an elitebook

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

butt dickus posted:

i'm using a dell precision 7670 with a dell wd19dcs. it will complain about not at full power if i just connect one of the cables or the single cable from the wd19s they also sent

Dell sells their USB-c docks with different sized adapters, the theory being if you only need 45w you can buy WD19 w/ 45w adapter and save like $15 or w/e. But in reality all it means is if your laptop needs the WD19 w/ 180w adapter, you have to know that you need that otherwise you'll buy the wrong thing and you wont be able to get full power to the laptop.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also theres the wd19 and the wd19s where the wd19s doesnt have audio ports or a DAC cause they "couldnt get chips for them" aka they cost cut an relatively unused feature (headphone/mic jacks) and kept the price the same

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im ready to inflict extreme violence on all those loving jpegs

lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

bobbilljim posted:

my thinkpad runs off of one usb-c cable

it also has a proper ethernet port

same

except no ethernet port

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
anyone have a good reference for getting docker poo poo to run right on these dumb new m1 macs with pinball machine microcontrollers in them?

i am loving livid at the lack of docker support when the whole point of docker was to give people a way to describe a canonical environment that should run on any dev machine or server. I don't know why a dev would opt in to a machine that is fundamentally incompatible with development work but apple stans have been incomprehensible to me for like 15 years at this point so i don't know why i expect them to suddenly make well reasoned choices

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont even know where to start with that post

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

anyone have a good reference for getting docker poo poo to run right on these dumb new m1 macs with pinball machine microcontrollers in them?

i am loving livid at the lack of docker support when the whole point of docker was to give people a way to describe a canonical environment that should run on any dev machine or server. I don't know why a dev would opt in to a machine that is fundamentally incompatible with development work but apple stans have been incomprehensible to me for like 15 years at this point so i don't know why i expect them to suddenly make well reasoned choices

docker works on my m1, op. please specify

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
it’s binary compatible with AWS graviton and raspberry pi’s
if you need to support legacy platforms docker just added wasm

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i built a normal python docker image that works everywhere else but one of my coworkers couldn't run it without some --emulate-a-real-computer flag that literally made it run 60x slower than normal

i assume there's a way to build a docker image for m1 macs that can run on their processor without having to emulate x64 but i dont have one of those macs so i don't know what part of the process is aware of the hardware differences (and honestly no part of the process makes sense as a guess because why should any virtualization give a care about the hardware ever?)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i think you’re holding it wrong

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

homeboy built an x64 docker image and expects it to run on an arm processor smdh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

i built a normal python docker image that works everywhere else but one of my coworkers couldn't run it without some --emulate-a-real-computer flag that literally made it run 60x slower than normal

i assume there's a way to build a docker image for m1 macs that can run on their processor without having to emulate x64 but i dont have one of those macs so i don't know what part of the process is aware of the hardware differences (and honestly no part of the process makes sense as a guess because why should any virtualization give a care about the hardware ever?)

docker images are specific to cpu architecture, and it sounds like yours isn’t built for arm64. https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/commandline/buildx_build/ use —platform flag

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

corla are you a javascript developer because you sound like a javascript developer

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The WIFI upstairs in my house is abysmal due to foil underlay insulation - I have a cat6 cable that runs upstairs that breaks out into an 8-port switch, if I wanted to connect an extender / repeater above the floor level what should I pick up? I looked and there are 'classic' extenders:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LRQW0GM/?th=1

and 'WIFI6' mesh units:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08MWKQCJZ/

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The WIFI upstairs in my house is abysmal due to foil underlay insulation - I have a cat6 cable that runs upstairs that breaks out into an 8-port switch, if I wanted to connect an extender / repeater above the floor level what should I pick up? I looked and there are 'classic' extenders:

and 'WIFI6' mesh units:

i think all the typical 3-puck mesh kits (e.g. google/nest wifi, tp-link deco s4/others, probably that thing) run the same qualcomm soc/software stack, and while i don't have a ton of experience (got them for my parent, run into them in a couple of other places), they seem extremely solid. where ad-hoc "extenders" are in my experience nothing but trouble.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

NoneMoreNegative posted:

and 'WIFI6' mesh units:

my understanding is that mesh refers to basically wireless access points using other wireless access points as uplinks

that said in my experience, devices advertised as "mesh" WAPs are typically fine just using ethernet as an uplink anyway, so if one meets your performance/price needs it should be good so long as you configure it to use wired uplink

the bottom unit you linked to is definitely a more recent model, wifi6 = 802.11ax and the upper unit is 802.11ac aka wifi5

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
yeah extenders are supposed to use wireless backhaul. since you have a cable going up there you can just stick another wap wherever. set to same SSID as your main network, on a non-overlapping channel, and it ought to behave

there may be some product specifically for doing that, but ive used just any old wap with success

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cheers - I *would* have gone and bought the Mesh unit

but from putting it in my basket and an hour later Amazon jacked the price from £85 to £101, so they can go and get hosed.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

where do you guys buy components? the last time i bought an internal hard drive was probably 20 years ago from newegg and it looks like ghost town now aside from third party sellers

i also need a psu and a usb hub and i try to avoid amazon for things where i would actually care if they were counterfit/way shittier than advertised

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

iirc the micro centre is quite good in usa

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
not sure if there's a better yospos thread for this but what data stack would you look at using in 2022 if you're trying to move an org from piles of CSVs and spreadsheets into actually querying structured data from a centralized repository, but are just guessing at access patterns?

at a high level, right now this org pulls in commodity pricing data (daily cadence), economic data (monthly/quarterly), other data like temperature for zip codes, and these just collect in piles of files. Then the researchers use Excel or R or Python to analyze what they want. I'd love for these to be cataloged better, not on a SMB drive, and more so that we can use more automation and cloud stuff, or make Excel faster by using an ODBC connector instead of every spreadsheet having <giant worksheet of every data point ever since I might need/want it in my analysis>

I've used Fivetran / Snowflake / Matillion before, but that was 2019ish and the project was more about normalizing two ERPs for consistent reporting. Snowflake seemed cool but FiveTran's pricing model seemed really annoying. Panoply looks cool seems to only support Redshift and BigTable. In addition to the CSVs above I'd also love to be able to slap quickbooks, great plains, and other integrations into this easily.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sql server using sql server integration services to import the data

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hed posted:

not sure if there's a better yospos thread for this but what data stack would you look at using in 2022 if you're trying to move an org from piles of CSVs and spreadsheets into actually querying structured data from a centralized repository, but are just guessing at access patterns?

at a high level, right now this org pulls in commodity pricing data (daily cadence), economic data (monthly/quarterly), other data like temperature for zip codes, and these just collect in piles of files. Then the researchers use Excel or R or Python to analyze what they want. I'd love for these to be cataloged better, not on a SMB drive, and more so that we can use more automation and cloud stuff, or make Excel faster by using an ODBC connector instead of every spreadsheet having <giant worksheet of every data point ever since I might need/want it in my analysis>

I've used Fivetran / Snowflake / Matillion before, but that was 2019ish and the project was more about normalizing two ERPs for consistent reporting. Snowflake seemed cool but FiveTran's pricing model seemed really annoying. Panoply looks cool seems to only support Redshift and BigTable. In addition to the CSVs above I'd also love to be able to slap quickbooks, great plains, and other integrations into this easily.

it sounds like the first step is to take excel, quickbooks, great plains, and those other integrations, and suss our what’s the technological overlap for storing and querying data in whichever cardinal directions exist there.

in terms of the process, you want to establish a traditional enterprise data warehouse, going the whole 9 yards with a star/snowflake schema (distinct from snowflake db), facts/dimensions modelling, and data marts. ive worked on a greenfield like this before, and in a mildly disorganised 1k people org with a dozen lines of business it was a 2 engineer-years worth of effort to go from nothing to “dwh is useful for everyone, if to a varying extent”

if someone were to ask me to shorten that significantly, the strat is probably to use a microsoft db with microsoft powerbi, which i assume has some authorship capacity. this would come at a cost of murdering your data lineage though

terrible programming thread could be something you may consider reposting this question to

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Hed posted:

snowflake is cool but unless your temperature/zipcode data is collected every millisecond, nothing you've described is too big for a regular postgres database

you just need to decide how much effort you're interested in putting into writing down the schemas for all that poo poo. I think the two main choices are: a few tables that just have document URLs and maybe some metadata, with the documents in s3; or import all of the docs into their own tables/schemas so the users don't have to do any work figuring out what the column headers are

it sounds like its just a bunch of analysts loving around so I'd go with the s3 + url&metadata tables so the data crimes they commit are at least constrained to their own PCs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can anyone recommend a simple webpage host?

I’m talking static, maybe some js, but no backend stuff

I have a couple of webpages I want to build and both are basically glorified “about” pages and maybe some signup forms or links to google forms or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

can anyone recommend a simple webpage host?

I’m talking static, maybe some js, but no backend stuff

I have a couple of webpages I want to build and both are basically glorified “about” pages and maybe some signup forms or links to google forms or something

Cloudflare, GitHub, Vernell, Netlify