Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

How much did we know about the Big E before the Heresy books? Because I could swear there were enough hints here and there that he wasn't a very good father at the very least those books came out.

In he old, old lore, there were a bunch of natural children of Emps running about, called Sensei. Their main deal was being ageless and complete psychic blanks, and as I recall the Emperor wasn't even aware of their existence most of the time. IIRC the concept has been mostly abandoned by now, but there are still occasional mentions like the Inquisition hunting them down and grinding up their bodies to turn into anti-psyker weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

In the novel The Great Work you get a glimpse of the Emperor before the Heresy, as there's a part with Ezekiel Sedayne seeking out the Emperor back when the Imperium was just Big E hanging out in a cave with Malcador. It wasn't a very lengthy look at his situation though, but you definitely get a sense for how he rolled before revealing himself to humanity.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

pentyne posted:

Not sure if there was a good solution, but hauling them out in public and brutally humiliating him sure wasn't it.

Also super hard to take it seriously while Angron and the World Eaters are pursuing a policy of that could be described as aggressively genocidal towards contacted human empires that showed the slightest hint of resistance (and even some that didn't)

The whole 30k era lore went from a bunch of random sourcebook writings and a few scattered mentions to full on entire history thousands of pages in detail in the late 2000s and for some reason the writers at large were either told or naturally decided to just make the Emperor an absolute moron of the highest

The Emperor was entirely cool with the space marines genociding non-Imperial human empires, so the World Eaters were actually in the clear before they turned traitor. The Emperor's goal wasn't "reunite all of humanity", it was "reunite all of humanity under the Imperium, following all of the Imperium's rules, restrictions, and prejudices, and if you're not with us you're against us". The Heresy books actually open up with Horus's legion violently conquering a lost human empire that refused to integrate and told the invaders to gently caress off, and the very last words its leader says before he's violently killed by a space marine are basically "Why couldn't you just leave us alone?".

There's a point later when Horus finds an advanced, prosperous, and peaceful human civilization and defies all expectations by deciding to approach them diplomatically, and even declines to initially attack them when it's revealed they're living in peace with *gasp* xenos. Literally all of his advisors and commanders are utterly appalled that he's not immediately dropping ten thousand space marines on them for the great crime of not immediately killing all aliens.

I think it's very intentional that the Emperor was meant to be a beautiful, sublime, god-like being of infinite power and potential, but also a blinkered idiot who is so blinded by his own prejudices and arrogance that he misses vitally important details and ends up effectively shooting himself in the face. It's pretty much a mirror to what the Imperium becomes.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 23, 2022

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I'm wondering if, considering how much of old sci-fi works that GW shamelessly steals homages, they're taking into consideration the bit from 2001: A Space Odyssey where the crew has to be kept in the dark about the possibility of alien life due to previous tests indicating that groups believing there had been previous alien contact and all that would become too xenophobic for the mission to remain intact for it's scientific worth.

The Emperor, believing that alien integration into a society would cause too much upheaval among a human society, decides that just killing all/most aliens is a better idea? :shrug:

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
The Emperor should have followed Malcador's advice and made the Primarchs gender diverse. Things would have still fallen apart eventually, but in a more Chronicles of Amber way.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

The Emperor was entirely cool with the space marines genociding non-Imperial human empires, so the World Eaters were actually in the clear before they turned traitor. The Emperor's goal wasn't "reunite all of humanity", it was "reunite all of humanity under the Imperium, following all of the Imperium's rules, restrictions, and prejudices, and if you're not with us you're against us". The Heresy books actually open up with Horus's legion violently conquering a lost human empire that refused to integrate and told the invaders to gently caress off, and the very last words its leader says before he's violently killed by a space marine are basically "Why couldn't you just leave us alone?".

There's a point later when Horus finds an advanced, prosperous, and peaceful human civilization and defies all expectations by deciding to approach them diplomatically, and even declines to initially attack them when it's revealed they're living in peace with *gasp* xenos. Literally all of his advisors and commanders are utterly appalled that he's not immediately dropping ten thousand space marines on them for the great crime of not immediately killing all aliens.

I think it's very intentional that the Emperor was meant to be a beautiful, sublime, god-like being of infinite power and potential, but also a blinkered idiot who is so blinded by his own prejudices and arrogance that he misses vitally important details and ends up effectively shooting himself in the face. It's pretty much a mirror to what the Imperium becomes.

Not all his advisors. Loken was going to bat for Horus, even though the alien thing made him pause when Abaddon asked if he could think of a single alien species that would as much as say "shame about that" if humans went extinct. (He couldn't)

One of the short stories set in the crusade, Misbegotten, actually talks about how, 99 percent of the time, bringing a world into compliance meant rolling up, saying "We're getting the band back together. Want in?", then the world would go "gently caress yes!", And the rest was just having the diplomats work out how to make joining the Imperium as smooth as possible. The awful Grimdark stuff was a minority situation. But, well, Horus fell, and whatever was good in the Imperium didn't outlast him by much.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Not all his advisors. Loken was going to bat for Horus, even though the alien thing made him pause when Abaddon asked if he could think of a single alien species that would as much as say "shame about that" if humans went extinct. (He couldn't)

One of the short stories set in the crusade, Misbegotten, actually talks about how, 99 percent of the time, bringing a world into compliance meant rolling up, saying "We're getting the band back together. Want in?", then the world would go "gently caress yes!", And the rest was just having the diplomats work out how to make joining the Imperium as smooth as possible. The awful Grimdark stuff was a minority situation. But, well, Horus fell, and whatever was good in the Imperium didn't outlast him by much.

The fact that the accepted terminology for joining the Imperium was "compliance" and how they talk a lot about "bringing worlds into compliance" are extremely indicative things about their attitude and approach to the entire endeavor.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 23, 2022

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Kanos posted:

The facts that the accepted terminology for joining the Imperium was "compliance" and how they talk a lot about "bringing worlds into compliance" are extremely indicative things about their attitude and approach to the entire endeavor.

That's actually called out explicitly in some of the Horus Heresy novels. The early Imperium liked to pretend that they're bringing a more enlightened and united future, but the truth is that the Emperor is just another tyrant in a long line of tyrants. He, in a discussion with the last priest left in Terra, before burning down his cathedral, answers the question what makes him different from all others is "Because I know I am right". Turns out he wasn't, whoopsy.

I am partial to the novel Valdor, which takes place before Great Crusade is launched, where an Imperial official investigates the disappearance of the Thunder Warriors (Space Marine precursors). She tries to live up to the ideals of Unity espoused as by Emperor's forces when they brought Terra to heel and do the right thing, only to realize all the new laws and systems are a sham, a smokescreen. The only ones who matter are the Emperor, and his right and left-hand men Malcador the Sigillite and Constantin Valdor, and they're paying lip service to the appearance of such things as due process only as long as it takes for them consolidate their power.

The Imperium and Emperor are the villains, the whole system is rotten, the universe is so utterly hosed there's no hope for better future in the long run and in the big picture. All anyone can do is win small victories and focus on that.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

The Emperor should have followed Malcador's advice and made the Primarchs gender diverse. Things would have still fallen apart eventually, but in a more Chronicles of Amber way.

He didn't suggest making Primarchs gender diverse, he suggested making them all female, mostly as joke. His stated reasoning was that there would have been less infighting, rivalry, and petty bullshit among sisters. He wasn't being terribly serious, but even Malcador would not joke about something like having both male and female Primarchs because it would have been a bad idea of monumental proportions.

I mean, none of them would get anything done, they would all have been way too busy fighting over Sanguinius' affections.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Warden posted:

I mean, none of them would get anything done, they would all have been way too busy fighting over Sanguinius' affections.

I mean... let's be honest, regardless of the gender makeup of all the Primarchs, they'd have been fighting for Sanguinius no matter what :syoon:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Warden posted:

The Imperium and Emperor are the villains, the whole system is rotten, the universe is so utterly hosed there's no hope for better future in the long run and in the big picture.

Chaos wins and turns all of material reality into Heaven (the warp)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Warden posted:

The Imperium and Emperor are the villains, the whole system is rotten, the universe is so utterly hosed there's no hope for better future in the long run and in the big picture. All anyone can do is win small victories and focus on that.

Buschmaki posted:

Chaos wins and turns all of material reality into Heaven (the warp)
I___/
I__/
I_/
I/

Also, w/r/t the conversation we've just had about female Primarchs, well:

:anime:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Emperor was a Turk!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Warden posted:

That's actually called out explicitly in some of the Horus Heresy novels. The early Imperium liked to pretend that they're bringing a more enlightened and united future, but the truth is that the Emperor is just another tyrant in a long line of tyrants. He, in a discussion with the last priest left in Terra, before burning down his cathedral, answers the question what makes him different from all others is "Because I know I am right". Turns out he wasn't, whoopsy.

I am partial to the novel Valdor, which takes place before Great Crusade is launched, where an Imperial official investigates the disappearance of the Thunder Warriors (Space Marine precursors). She tries to live up to the ideals of Unity espoused as by Emperor's forces when they brought Terra to heel and do the right thing, only to realize all the new laws and systems are a sham, a smokescreen. The only ones who matter are the Emperor, and his right and left-hand men Malcador the Sigillite and Constantin Valdor, and they're paying lip service to the appearance of such things as due process only as long as it takes for them consolidate their power.

That also extends to the Space Marines themselves. They were from the outset conceived of as brute terror troops. Just look at it from a practical perspective: Investing immense resources into breeding gigantic mutant monstrosities and equipping them with frankly stupid weapons like chainsaw swords and guns that blow people in half is not what you'd do if all you're looking for is battlefield efficiency. But it sure works just fine for terrorizing a former human colony back into line on the back of sheer overwhelming brutality and carnage. No wonder Marines just love falling to Chaos.

So of course the Imperium would go and elevate them to near-divinity. Angels of the Emperor, indeed. :allears:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Emperor clearly has a mania for genetic sciences, given the amount of time and effort he invested in the Custodes and the multiple attempts he made to develop that into a mass production form (and given what we know about the Dark Age, he tried then too and failed.)

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 23, 2022

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Seriouspost: Honestly though, I'm happy the fluff is making the Emperor out to be a moron. Too many people IRL idolize the Imperium and the G-E, so showing it all as the creation of a total dumbass which the 'present' generations are and will continue to pay for is something to be applauded, to be frank. Sure, it's usually done with all the grace and subtlety of a dropped anvil, but sometimes said anvils need to be dropped, you know?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
At least Karl-Franz was elected!

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

MonsieurChoc posted:

And good at being Emperor as well.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Perestroika posted:

That also extends to the Space Marines themselves. They were from the outset conceived of as brute terror troops. Just look at it from a practical perspective: Investing immense resources into breeding gigantic mutant monstrosities and equipping them with frankly stupid weapons like chainsaw swords and guns that blow people in half is not what you'd do if all you're looking for is battlefield efficiency. But it sure works just fine for terrorizing a former human colony back into line on the back of sheer overwhelming brutality and carnage. No wonder Marines just love falling to Chaos.

So of course the Imperium would go and elevate them to near-divinity. Angels of the Emperor, indeed. :allears:

The marines being gigantic hulking human tanks with ridiculously oversized overkill weapons makes sense in the context of them being intended to be able to fight and defeat anything humanity might run into, given that the galaxy is legitimately full of horrifying nightmare monsters that are more than a match for normal human soldiers and/or situations where a tiny super elite ultra squad can accomplish what 1,000,000 normal trained dudes cannot.

The idea is supposed to be that the Imperium has a normal army of millions/billions of normal soldiers that are equipped with normal weapons that handles 95% of the fighting and the marines are used when massive, insane, overwhelming force is required for various reasons(enemy dug in way to deep to be easily dislodged, enemy happens to be twelve foot tall bug monsters that shrug off gunfire, etc).

Even during the pre-Heresy days when entire legions of marines were flying around, most of the actual fighting was done by regular army dudes. The marines were sent in primarily for brute force shock and awe decapitation strikes or into environments/against opponents which would simply massacre normal soldiers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

King Doom posted:

And good at being Emperor as well.

That one depends a lot on continuity, but in all versions he is a sharp politician.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I mean, who wouldn´t elect this fine fellow?
https://twitter.com/baalbuddy/status/1520263129757802498

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Master of Mankind posted:

"A compromised primarch is still a primarch." The Emperor mused, still distracted. "What is it Arkhan?"

Land hesitated. "You are more sanguine than I would have imagined in this moment, even knowing of your holy detachment from emotion."

"What would the alternative be?" The Emperor laid the bloodstained gloves on a nearby surgical trolley, where red-marked knives and other instruments lay wet and freshly used. "That I might mourn the Twelfth as though it were my injured son, and I its grieving father?"

"Never that, Divine One". Arkhan chose his words with care. "Though some might expect that."

The Emperor unlocked the sealed vambraces of His hazard suit, then removed the surgical mask that had covered his face until now. "It is not my son, Arkhan. None of them are. They are warlords, generals, tools bred to serve a purpose. Just as Legions were bred to serve a purpose."

Arkhan looked down at the sleeping demigod, watching Angron's facial features twitch and tense in painful harmony with a ravaged nervous system.

"With your blessing, Divine One, I would ask something of you."

The Emperor turned His eyes upon Land for the first time. Falling beneath the Omnissiah’s gaze made the Motive Force in Arkhan’s bloodstream flow faster, tingling like weak acid.

"Ask."

"The primarchs. It is said they have always called you father. It seems so… sentimental. I’ve never understood why you allow it."

The Emperor was silent for some time. When He spoke, His eyes had returned to the hulking form on the surgical slab. "There was once a writer," he said, "a penner of children’s stories who told the tale of a wooden puppet that wished to be reborn as a human child. And this puppet, this automaton of painted, carved wood that sought to be a thing of flesh and blood and bone – do you know what it called its maker? What would such a creature call the creator that gave it shape and form and life?"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I think Master of Mankind is the main book that casts a lot of doubt on the Emperor as a whole. IIRC it's essentially a story being told by a third party so ~unreliable narrator~ and all, but there's at least one encounter where a contacted human empire freaks out and refuses to submit because the leader believes that the Emperor was actually created during the Dark Age as part of some monstrous proto-humanity experiment they then had to wipe out or something.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Stuff from Master of Mankind

You're leaving out one crucial bit of context: everyone who interacts with the Emperor in that book sees and hears different things, colored through their personal bias and preconceptions.

That entire extract is from the POV of Martian techno-archeologist Arkhan Land who thinks the Emperor is the utterly dispassionate super-rational/logical Science God Omnissiah and that Primarchs should never have been created. Other people see the Emperor in different form and hear him refer to the Primarchs by their name, not just their number.

We get the best insight how to that works in Echoes of Eternity when Sanguinius, who's got precog, meets Emperor and whenever Emperor expresses himself (deliberately not using the word "speaks" here) Sanguinius hears/perceives/sees multiple different meanings simultaneously. The Emperor tells him he is Sanguinius' father/creator/master and that Sanguinius is his beloved son/ trusted general/ purpose-built weapon and all of those things are simultaneously true.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

CommissarMega posted:

I mean... let's be honest, regardless of the gender makeup of all the Primarchs, they'd have been fighting for Sanguinius no matter what :syoon:

Yeah, the very first Horus Heresy book has Horus and Sanguinius taking a break from leading a war by... ...eating grapes while dressed in togas together. You know, like brothers do.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

The Emperor was a Turk!

He was kurdish

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Hes a big doodoo head.
Would be interesting to find out how Horus would have dealt with the Orks and Tyranids and Tau and Necrons.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Hes a big doodoo head.
Would be interesting to find out how Horus would have dealt with the Orks and Tyranids and Tau and Necrons.

I think the underlying premise is that absent the insane chaos (lol) of the massively regressive Imperium all those enemies would barely be a blip.

They're not even bothering to genocide the Tau, despite it being a tiny, tiny island of systems compared to the Imperium because it's not worth the cost of a Crusade fleet yet.

Commonly referenced is that during Humanity's ascent, 10k-25k, they saw multiple empires rise and fall that make the modern Imperium look like a peasant village. Literally no alien empire encountered could threaten the collective humanity and Orks were like a fun little distraction for bored military dudes to go fight.

Chaos and psykers kind of upended the whole thing, but during the Great Crusade the Imperium encountered several human civs that were aware of Chaos and aggressively defending against it quite successfully. Of course Compliance dictated they be wiped out to lessen the amount to people who knew about it to try and 'starve' the chaos gods.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

pentyne posted:

Chaos and psykers kind of upended the whole thing, but during the Great Crusade the Imperium encountered several human civs that were aware of Chaos and aggressively defending against it quite successfully. Of course Compliance dictated they be wiped out to lessen the amount to people who knew about it to try and 'starve' the chaos gods.

Uh, you're gonna have to dig up citations for that, because to my knowledge, on-paper they encountered one civilization that was aware of and defending against Chaos successfully: the Interex.

They did encounter civilizations, human and alien, that had been corrupted by Chaos tho, like the guys in Legion, who fired a doomsday weapon powered by blood sacrifice rather than surrender or those snake aliens Fulgrim looted the demon sword that corrupted him from.

There were also human civs that had gone crazy full-body cyborg, like the ones Space Wolves were called in to exterminate because regular human army was getting its butt kicked and those biomechanical horrors the dude who fled Emperor had cooked up.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kanos posted:

The marines being gigantic hulking human tanks with ridiculously oversized overkill weapons makes sense in the context of them being intended to be able to fight and defeat anything humanity might run into, given that the galaxy is legitimately full of horrifying nightmare monsters that are more than a match for normal human soldiers and/or situations where a tiny super elite ultra squad can accomplish what 1,000,000 normal trained dudes cannot.

The idea is supposed to be that the Imperium has a normal army of millions/billions of normal soldiers that are equipped with normal weapons that handles 95% of the fighting and the marines are used when massive, insane, overwhelming force is required for various reasons(enemy dug in way to deep to be easily dislodged, enemy happens to be twelve foot tall bug monsters that shrug off gunfire, etc).

Even during the pre-Heresy days when entire legions of marines were flying around, most of the actual fighting was done by regular army dudes. The marines were sent in primarily for brute force shock and awe decapitation strikes or into environments/against opponents which would simply massacre normal soldiers.

That's kind a half my point. They're good at one particular mission, and at the time of their creation that mission extended pretty much only to human targets. During the Great Crusade, wrestling greater daemons or hive tyrants simply wasn't much of a consideration yet, xenos were something of a sideshow that would ideally be orbital bombarded out of existence anyway. Their main mission was dropping into the headquarters of a resisting human planet and leaving such a horrifying mess that the rest of them will surrender out of fear.

Now I might be misremembering, but I think during the Great Crusade they actually met an isolated human system who managed to have their own elite soldiers who were almost the equal of space marines simply on the basis of high-tech equipment and training. The whole thing about turning space marines into giants who eat brains and spit acid seems to have had two main purposes at the time: feeding the Emperor's gene modification fetish, and becoming drastically more intimidating towards targets who are receptive to intimidation. Which, again, are mostly humans. Being able to go toe to toe with the more exotic monsters in the galaxy is an advantage that seems to have become relevant only later on.

pentyne posted:

I think the underlying premise is that absent the insane chaos (lol) of the massively regressive Imperium all those enemies would barely be a blip.

Yeah, almost all the threats the Imperium faces in the current setting are pretty much self-inflicted. Orks wouldn't be much of a problem if the Imperium wasn't trying to eradicate them at every turn out of principle, which in turn just means more Orks being created and coming at them looking for a good fight. Necrons would still be snoozing if Imperials weren't constantly loving around on their tomb worlds. Tyranids are very likely only in the galaxy because the Imperials decided to build a gigantic psychic beacon, since that's the only way to even have a hope of keeping control of their ludicrously outsized empire.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Perestroika posted:

That's kind a half my point. They're good at one particular mission, and at the time of their creation that mission extended pretty much only to human targets. During the Great Crusade, wrestling greater daemons or hive tyrants simply wasn't much of a consideration yet, xenos were something of a sideshow that would ideally be orbital bombarded out of existence anyway. Their main mission was dropping into the headquarters of a resisting human planet and leaving such a horrifying mess that the rest of them will surrender out of fear.

You're wrong about this. The two biggest hurdles the Imperium faced before the Heresy were the utterly horrible Rangan Xenocides and the Ork Empire of Ullanor.

The Rangdan almost killed Imperium stone-dead, and even with the Space Marines and Primarchs the Imperium barely won, and they took absolutely staggering losses. The Xenocides were so bad that all details about them were suppressed. Also possibly because the fate of the two lost legions might have been connected to them and there's been hints that Emperor dusted off some archeotech/xenostech doomsday weapons to give them an edge (he might have unleashed the captured C'tan of Mars, Void Dragon, on them).

The Orks were also such a threat that multiple legions of Space Marines plus all the accompanying forces had a hell of fight on their hands and Emperor had to take the field himself multiple times until they were broken. It is telling that after the Triump of Ullanor Emperor felt he could gently caress off back to Terra to finish the Human Webway Project and leave Horus in charge. Before that, the Orks were so bad that he had to run the war himself.

Perestroika posted:

Orks wouldn't be much of a problem if the Imperium wasn't trying to eradicate them at every turn out of principle, which in turn just means more Orks being created and coming at them looking for a good fight.

Emps was right on the money when he considered Orks a threat that could not wait but had to be taken care of, because after the Heresy when the Imperium didn't/couldn't devote enough time and effort towards Orks, the result was the War of the Beast, which involved Orks boostrapping themselves to a level where their footsoldiers were on par with Space Marines and warlords on par with Primarchs and they had weaponized, teleporting moons blasting planets to bits.

Yes, War of the Beast was very stupid.

quote:

The whole thing about turning space marines into giants who eat brains and spit acid seems to have had two main purposes at the time: feeding the Emperor's gene modification fetish, and becoming drastically more intimidating towards targets who are receptive to intimidation. Which, again, are mostly humans. Being able to go toe to toe with the more exotic monsters in the galaxy is an advantage that seems to have become relevant only later on.

The thing about Space Marines is they're super good at adapting against different foes, in addition to being powerful. If the Great Crusade could have been pulled off with regular humans, they would have done so. If Terra could have been conquered with regular troops instead of Thunder Warrios, Emperor would have done so, instead of using Thunder Warriors and then culling them. All of the gene-modded soldiers Emperor uses (except maybe the Custodes, perhaps) are tools to further his vision, but they do not feature in his end goal: the evolution of humanity into psychic species. Space Marines, and the Primarchs themselves, are tools. Dangerous, powerful tools, but disposable nonetheless.

At least, that apparently was the original-original plan but Emperor apparently still has some (contradictory) human emotions, which surprised the hell out of his co-conspirators Valdor and Malcador. The first time they heard Emperor refer to the Primarch as his "sons" they both basically went "oh what the gently caress".

quote:

Now I might be misremembering, but I think during the Great Crusade they actually met an isolated human system who managed to have their own elite soldiers who were almost the equal of space marines simply on the basis of high-tech equipment and training.

The Interex, who had their own highly successful mini-empire, had elite soldiers who could put up a fight against Marines, but they were not on their level, despite their more sophisticated weapons. The Gardinaal and the Faash had warmachines and/or gene-modded soldiers that could put up a fight against Marines thanks to high technology, but they lost since Marines were ultimately superior to them.

Warden fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 23, 2022

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Speaking of the Imperium being a backwater, one of my fav 40k stories is "The Masters, Bidding", where a bunch of chaos lords made after the Heresy basically tell an Iron Warriors throwback "Dude this stuff happened 1000s of years before I was born and I can spend all of eternity gathering occult knowledge, why would I give a gently caress that my gene-grandpa didnt hug my gene-dad enough" and I think perspectives like that sorta get lost cause all the major players of 40K are just basically from the Horus Heresy. That's why I hope that Rogue Trader will focus on the weirder and more niche stuff like humans that never contacted the Imperium or weird aliens that arent in the army books because there's a rich universe to come up with original stories in

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warden posted:

Uh, you're gonna have to dig up citations for that, because to my knowledge, on-paper they encountered one civilization that was aware of and defending against Chaos successfully: the Interex.

The Interex also, unlike the Emperor, figured that fighting Chaos was, long term, a losing game. You'd hold out as long as you could, but eventually you'd be overwhelmed.

The Emperor, by contrast, had a plan that could have worked to win against Chaos. It didn't work, it involved a lot of atrocities, and most of his closest friends had ditched him over the millenia for being a dick about it, but it does provide context for his dumb moves.

I feel like playing up the crappy aspects of the crusade era too much loses what makes it interesting. The Emperor was an rear end in a top hat, there were already hints at how the Imperium was going to fall, but it still needs to be a fall. That makes the story a tragedy with elements of farce, instead of just a bunch of assholes getting killed over nothing.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pentyne posted:

They're not even bothering to genocide the Tau, despite it being a tiny, tiny island of systems compared to the Imperium because it's not worth the cost of a Crusade fleet yet.

Commonly referenced is that during Humanity's ascent, 10k-25k, they saw multiple empires rise and fall that make the modern Imperium look like a peasant village. Literally no alien empire encountered could threaten the collective humanity and Orks were like a fun little distraction for bored military dudes to go fight.

The Tau DID have a crusade fleet launched against them. The Damocles Gulf Crusade. They just managed to survive long enough that the Imperium called a halt to it because the resources were needed elsewhere due to Hive Fleet Behemoth starting to show up. Which was very convenient, but then the Tau have had a lot of very convenient events and stories in the lore (see also: the Tyranid splinter fleet they killed in deep space with no losses because it never woke up).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

chiasaur11 posted:

The Interex also, unlike the Emperor, figured that fighting Chaos was, long term, a losing game. You'd hold out as long as you could, but eventually you'd be overwhelmed.

The Emperor, by contrast, had a plan that could have worked to win against Chaos. It didn't work, it involved a lot of atrocities, and most of his closest friends had ditched him over the millenia for being a dick about it, but it does provide context for his dumb moves.

I feel like playing up the crappy aspects of the crusade era too much loses what makes it interesting. The Emperor was an rear end in a top hat, there were already hints at how the Imperium was going to fall, but it still needs to be a fall. That makes the story a tragedy with elements of farce, instead of just a bunch of assholes getting killed over nothing.

While broadly speaking I agree, as written yeah it's just a bunch of assholes getting killed over nothing.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I think one of the overlying themes of Horus Heresy is "all the horrible stuff Emperor and Imperium did could possibly be justified IF the Emperor's plan had worked and secured the future of species for good, but it didn't, because of the mistakes made by Emperor and his sons, and well, here we are".

Continuing it is how it is pretty much a recurring subtext with Sanguinius "This is the one guy who could maybe possibly salvage the Imperium somewhat if the Emperor bites it, but we already know he is going to die horribly".

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Honestly, if Horus's plan was 'backstab Bad Dad and put a literal angel in his place' instead of "lol Chaos lol (lmao even)' I'd be behind him 100% and so would you, don't deny it :colbert:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Who wouldn’t, honestly?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The most important things to understand about Warhammer 40K is
A) It was made by a bunch of gen x English dudes Who had a justifiably extremely negative opinion of governments. At a fundamental level, Warhammer 40K was never meant to be aspirational in any way.
B) up until the mid '90s where it started becoming one of the more profitable sci fi IPs it was written to be extremely silly and nonsensical satire.

My favorite anecdote illustrating the latter point is that one of the most important characters in the setting is named after the bouncer at one of the bars they all used to go to.

Angry Ron

Angryron
Angron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The alpha was really fun

Eifert Posting posted:

The most important things to understand about Warhammer 40K is
A) It was made by a bunch of gen x English dudes Who had a justifiably extremely negative opinion of governments. At a fundamental level, Warhammer 40K was never meant to be aspirational in any way.
B) up until the mid '90s where it started becoming one of the more profitable sci fi IPs it was written to be extremely silly and nonsensical satire.

My favorite anecdote illustrating the latter point is that one of the most important characters in the setting is named after the bouncer at one of the bars they all used to go to.

Angry Ron

Angryron
Angron

Lion'El Jonson and his secret base at The Rock are even better imo