Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tzarnal posted:

They should be, but the amount of stories of contractors looking up and calling for the locations of utilities, following that information and still hitting lines is depressingly high. Even better when they look stuff up, carefully locate the thing physically and make sure they know exactly where things are. And then hit some undocumented nonsense 10 feet next to it.

There was a utility locate at our industrial park recently

We lost internet when they dug through the lines because they were shallower than they thought. Then we had to shut down due to getting a boil advisory when they dug into our water main.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Rectal Death Adept posted:

There was a utility locate at our industrial park recently

We lost internet when they dug through the lines because they were shallower than they thought. Then we had to shut down due to getting a boil advisory when they dug into our water main.

The thing to remember with utility location services is that they are based off the design drawings, not some "as built" photo or drawing.

So yes, the telecom services should be 600 deep and 800 from the kerb but it was Friday afternoon and they were a bit short of conduit so it's 200 from the kerb and the trench was 400 deep but its now 3:30pm so that will do. Cover it up.

Apparently it's also fine to just rest the marker tape on top of the electrical conduit, rather than half the distance to top/bottom of the trench. Or, Oops! out of tape, no matter.

Capt.Whorebags fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 23, 2022

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Selklubber posted:

have you tried just blocking specific avatars with ublock?

Kith posted:

uBlock Origin allows you to block specific images with the eyedropper tool, and I've used it myself for several of the more difficult to look at avatars and gang tags.

Seriously, I can't thank you enough for teaching me how to do this. It has absolutely made my life massively better. I hope you don't mind getting cross posted to the epilepsy thread, because goddamn the little things tech can do for you. Absolutely night and day difference in quality of life while trawling through these forums.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Reading this out loud in a Dark Souls NPC voice... vee-hee-heeeee...

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Sammus posted:

Mining engineer here. I can confirm that real life Minecraft is indeed hardcore as gently caress. It’s also 100% not OSHA. Because we get our own government agency, MSHA. OSHA isn’t half the agency MSHA is. Here’s a list and write up of everyone in America who has died mining this year.

https://www.msha.gov/data-and-reports/fatality-reports/search

"Hydrogen fluoride discharged from the pipe onto his face" :gonk:

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Capt.Whorebags posted:

The thing to remember with utility location services is that they are based off the design drawings, not some "as built" photo or drawing.

So yes, the telecom services should be 600 deep and 800 from the kerb but it was Friday afternoon and they were a bit short of conduit so it's 200 from the kerb and the trench was 400 deep but its now 3:30pm so that will do. Cover it up.

Apparently it's also fine to just rest the marker tape on top of the electrical conduit, rather than half the distance to top/bottom of the trench. Or, Oops! out of tape, no matter.
This. Exactly this.

I don't quite get why we still can't have proper as built documentation in the year two thousand and twenty-two, but here we are, still not knowing for sure where the drat pipes or cables are until we dig them up.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
because then the guy cutting corners or stealing material has to put it on paper that they did that

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Ascons are a pain in the dick to manage. All the work of actually laying out the infrastructure is done, nobody wants to take the time to be the boring old bastard who actually marks up plans as constructed and files them somewhere they can actually be found again.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

This. Exactly this.

I don't quite get why we still can't have proper as built documentation in the year two thousand and twenty-two, but here we are, still not knowing for sure where the drat pipes or cables are until we dig them up.

Because that costs a few extra hours, and they’re on a fixed cost contract.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

But irl

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/bornakang/status/1605791051192496129?s=46&t=grEd5GAqnV-L0ebVcD5qjQ

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rncmk05CKY1uk10e9.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rna416d9611s1ddrj_720.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rn94bjjMxd1qigfjt.mp4

https://twitter.com/ilostmyshit117/status/1605659878646849536

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I mean, dude shut the snake's tail in the door, he deserves a good bite.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/lxgppq3.mp4

SerthVarnee posted:

Seriously, I can't thank you enough for teaching me how to do this. It has absolutely made my life massively better. I hope you don't mind getting cross posted to the epilepsy thread, because goddamn the little things tech can do for you. Absolutely night and day difference in quality of life while trawling through these forums.

No trouble at all! You're welcome to cross-post my advice anywhere you feel it would help.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
As someone who drills holes in the ground for a living and deals with locates, both public and private on a daily basis I can say a few things.

Strikes happens frequently, but for every strike there are thousands of jobs that happened with no strikes. You only hear about the strikes that really gently caress poo poo up.

Around here you are supposed to stay a meter away from the paint marks, unless the utility owner says otherwise. And by otherwise, I mean further, not any closer.

Sone things are extremely difficult to locate, like anything plastic, or concrete. Ie water and sewer lines. Also gas lines are frequently plastic. Even with tracer wires they break on a regular basis, and you can't locate then properly. Things are getting somewhat better though as technology like gpr advances. Also the regular detection equipment is getting better too.

But like the one goon said, nobody gives a gently caress about doing as built drawings good, or keeping then somewhat accessible. And a lot of times they aren't particularly accurate especially inside buildings. I've hit a few things I n my time. Water lines, a storm sewer, and buried electrical. It sucks and I don't want to, but if you do anything like that for long enough you'll probably hit something. It's not good, just the way things are.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm glad we got no gas infrastructure.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

I want an infinite loop of one of those to just watch and make myself hungry.

wesleywillis posted:

But like the one goon said, nobody gives a gently caress about doing as built drawings good, or keeping then somewhat accessible. And a lot of times they aren't particularly accurate especially inside buildings.

I'm no where near that industry, but my boss has told me to just take photos of "as built" stuff, not bother updating my drawings. Guess who doesn't even know those photos exist, much less can access them? The people building the next machine!

I spend my time documenting changes as much as I am able to.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Reminder that if you can see an avalanche, you are close enough for it to reach you.

https://i.imgur.com/dH51p0J.mp4

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Took a minute to realize that was the main meter, what the gently caress scotland

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
On the topic of gas explosions, I was staying down the street when this house exploded. It sounded like a truck had driven into the house I was staying - whole place shook violently and the power went out. Then I went outside and saw power was out to the whole neighbourhood. Absolutely insane.

Vacant house destroyed, several people injured by large explosion in Nanaimo

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Kith posted:

Reminder that if you can see an avalanche, you are close enough for it to reach you.

Lol that is nowhere close to true

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Show me on this topological map where the avalanche touched you

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Your new laptop has been delivered

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/xRvweOf.mp4

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Blue Footed Booby posted:

gently caress the ocean

it's full of space monsters

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

wesleywillis posted:

Sone things are extremely difficult to locate, like anything plastic, or concrete. Ie water and sewer lines. Also gas lines are frequently plastic. Even with tracer wires they break on a regular basis, and you can't locate then properly. Things are getting somewhat better though as technology like gpr advances. Also the regular detection equipment is getting better too.

That reminds me of when I saw the guy come out with a set of dowsing rods to mark our job site. Thankfully we were only doing shallow dirt work, but I not happy about that bullshit. Do better 811 Texas.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

All this has talk reminds of the scariest/dumbest thing I’ve ever had to do. We had installed several thousand feet of Polyethylene gas line to a new development and we’re getting ready to tie it in to the existing gas main using butt fusion like so: https://youtu.be/vonPsTs9Dz0

Tldr is that you shave the pipe ends so they butt into each other straight and flush and then press both sides against a 500° hot iron to heat the plastic so you can press the pipe together so it fuses.

We had everything ready to go, valved off the existing gas so we can make our connection. Made an approximately 2” wedge cut with a sawzall into the 5psi gas main to allow the remaining gas to bleed off. After a minute or two the pressure and flow rate hasn’t slowed down at all. The job superintendent realized that the line was being backfed from another location and no one had any idea from where and it wasn’t on any drawings.

Bear in mind this work is being performed in a trench in the middle of a street of an occupied neighborhood with houses everywhere. We had no way to quickly find the other line or seal off the cut we had made. My boss made the decision that we were going to make the connection against a live gas line. We sent everyone that didn’t need to be there away and got to work. I finished cutting the existing gas main stub and we clamped both sides of the pipe. The next part was the scariest to me. The pipe shaver is basically a modified drill with cutting blades on both sides. The problem is that this drill has an electric brake that sparks at the brushes when it stops. These sparks are easily hotter than the ignition temp of natural gas. Somehow the gas didn’t light off and the pipe was ready for fusion. I now had to press the pipe blowing 5psi gas against the 500° iron for something like 90 seconds so it reached its melting point. Again, nothing lit off.

Our biggest concern is that the pressure of the gas wouldn’t allow the melted bead to set and the fusion would continue to allow gas to leak by. But we put the weight of two guys into that press and the fusion held.

I’d been breathing a huge amount of gas for the last 15 minutes or so and I climbed out of the trench lightheaded and nauseas, went to the side of the road and threw up a few times from the adrenaline and inhalation.

I no longer work in that industry.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Atticus_1354 posted:

That reminds me of when I saw the guy come out with a set of dowsing rods to mark our job site. Thankfully we were only doing shallow dirt work, but I not happy about that bullshit. Do better 811 Texas.

Saw this in Kentucky too. Turns out it’s way more common than you want to think.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I wanted to plant some trees in my yard so I called 811 to have them come out and mark where the various utilities were.

All they did was get the gas company to put flags where they had installed the gas line three years ago (which I paid to have done so I knew where it was).

Nothing from the electrical utility or the water folks. Just absolute silence. Cool stuff glad I called.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbR5-g2NL0M

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

That how we make green energy right there. Just keep climbing...

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

That fuse looks a little funny.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

knox_harrington posted:

Lol that is nowhere close to true

prove it :hehe:

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Snapshot posted:

Because that costs a few extra hours, and they’re on a fixed cost contract.

I'm not stupid, I know Santa isn't real and contractors won't do anything they're not paid for. What I'm wondering is, why utilities see no value in knowing where their poo poo is.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

This. Exactly this.

In most large jobs there's probably at least 6 months and 2 to 3 sub-contractors between the design drawings and the pipe going in the ground.

1. Telco initiates a project to deliver new fibre path
2. Chucklefuck Inc wins contract to deliver new fibre path
3. Subcontracts to DoubleDickDesign Co for the design components
3. Subcontracts to BuildShit Inc for the build
4. BuildShit subcontracts to WeDoShovels for the civil work (dig, put in pipe)
5. WeDoShovels puts the conduit and pits down, somewhere within the vicinity of the design and then covers back up
6. BuildShit pulls service through, tests end-to-end
7. Chucklefuck Inc confirms test results, some vague photos of pit locations, lodges drawings from step 3, closes project

6 months is optimistic, 2 - 3 years between step 3 and step 7 is not uncommon.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/6J69DRK.mp4

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I wanted to plant some trees in my yard so I called 811 to have them come out and mark where the various utilities were.

All they did was get the gas company to put flags where they had installed the gas line three years ago (which I paid to have done so I knew where it was).

Nothing from the electrical utility or the water folks. Just absolute silence. Cool stuff glad I called.
I don't know about where you are in particular, but where I am, if you specify something like "work will take place on front lawn" or "work on private property only" and the electrical and phone lines are running under the driveway, then they might give you a "clear" for the front lawn. Or ""Clear of 'utility owned' infrastructure. Meaning that anything thats running underneath your front lawn is owned by you and therefore subject to a private locate.
Also, around here, the city only owns up to the water shut off. From the water shut off to your house is "private" so you would require a "Private locate" fro the shut off to the house. Which would cost you money. Sometimes telecom is the same way. And electrical. They might only mark up to the property line.

Atticus_1354 posted:

I've seen various city guys come out to do that with sewer lines before.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Aperture Priority posted:

All this has talk reminds of the scariest/dumbest thing I’ve ever had to do. We had installed several thousand feet of Polyethylene gas line to a new development and we’re getting ready to tie it in to the existing gas main using butt fusion like so: https://youtu.be/vonPsTs9Dz0

Tldr is that you shave the pipe ends so they butt into each other straight and flush and then press both sides against a 500° hot iron to heat the plastic so you can press the pipe together so it fuses.

We had everything ready to go, valved off the existing gas so we can make our connection. Made an approximately 2” wedge cut with a sawzall into the 5psi gas main to allow the remaining gas to bleed off. After a minute or two the pressure and flow rate hasn’t slowed down at all. The job superintendent realized that the line was being backfed from another location and no one had any idea from where and it wasn’t on any drawings.

Bear in mind this work is being performed in a trench in the middle of a street of an occupied neighborhood with houses everywhere. We had no way to quickly find the other line or seal off the cut we had made. My boss made the decision that we were going to make the connection against a live gas line. We sent everyone that didn’t need to be there away and got to work. I finished cutting the existing gas main stub and we clamped both sides of the pipe. The next part was the scariest to me. The pipe shaver is basically a modified drill with cutting blades on both sides. The problem is that this drill has an electric brake that sparks at the brushes when it stops. These sparks are easily hotter than the ignition temp of natural gas. Somehow the gas didn’t light off and the pipe was ready for fusion. I now had to press the pipe blowing 5psi gas against the 500° iron for something like 90 seconds so it reached its melting point. Again, nothing lit off.

Our biggest concern is that the pressure of the gas wouldn’t allow the melted bead to set and the fusion would continue to allow gas to leak by. But we put the weight of two guys into that press and the fusion held.

I’d been breathing a huge amount of gas for the last 15 minutes or so and I climbed out of the trench lightheaded and nauseas, went to the side of the road and threw up a few times from the adrenaline and inhalation.

I no longer work in that industry.

this deserves more than a thread title, can we get some custom CSS up in here to make this post the permanent background