Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
We stopped caring about wrapping paper years ago, so dont bother.
gently caress, the most we would do is take of the price tag and change the bag it was bought in to a plain one so you couldn't tell where it was bought.

Sorta said story, had some cousins that were babies at the time, and mum bought them presents, wrapped them, and sat there waiting for them to call to collect them.
We didn't know at the time that their father/mother were hating/jealous of us for something else going on in the family, so the toys were not collected.
They sat in our loft for 5 years until the next set of kids were of the right age to use them. Just tore the wrapping paper off it and they looked brand new, and gave it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I enjoy wrapping presents tbh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The pro trick is to use those gift bags and they sort of get passed around between each other for years.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If you don't still rip off all the paper like a little kid then what are you even doing lmao

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Diet Crack posted:

With a bit of luck she'll heat her home by burning it down, preferably while still inside. Like no one, and I mean no one, opens presents in a way where you can re-use the loving wrapping you poncey oval office.

This patronising Tory cow has never known a day's hardship and is displaying as much by telling people to spend more on electric ironing their paper than it would cost to buy new, but that doesn't mean that nobody has. When we were really poor we used to save the Christmas wrapping paper. I'm pretty sure my mum asked the family to wrap my presents in a way that I could easily open them without tearing it, as well.

Now, as we've reached the "let them eat cake" part of the cycle, how long is it going to be before the "popular uprising and massacre of all the rich cunts" part?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Just give stuff in gift bags. Then next year use the gift bags you were given last year

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

The pro trick is to use those gift bags and they sort of get passed around between each other for years.

same

also have a couple of huge stockings knitted yonks ago which can stretch around things

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

bessantj posted:

Am I remembering right that the virus can last on some surfaces for up to 3 days?

No. There was a single study out of Hong Kong Feb 2020 saying they could find virus RNA on surfaces up to 3 days afterwards, but virus RNA =! Infectious virus. Labs could never get a sample that could infect a petri dish from a surface, let alone actual people. Back when people actually did case tracing, there was basically no cases firmly linked to an infected surface rather than breathing in a infectious persons air. Covid has always been a airborne disease, not a surface contact one - all the hand washing and cleanimg surfaces promoted in the early pandemic by the WHO did nothing against covid (it was very useful against the common cold however)

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Noxville posted:

Just give stuff in gift bags. Then next year use the gift bags you were given last year

Yeah we do this - unless the gift is too big for a bag or awkward, that's the only time I ever wrap things. The bags are the best, just stuff poo poo inside, tape the top shut and hey presto

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rarity posted:

If you don't still rip off all the paper like a little kid then what are you even doing lmao

Yeah you gotta tear it open! Like a fox that's found a bin bag full of KFC

None of this diligently unwrapping bollocks

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

No. There was a single study out of Hong Kong Feb 2020 saying they could find virus RNA on surfaces up to 3 days afterwards, but virus RNA =! Infectious virus. Labs could never get a sample that could infect a petri dish from a surface, let alone actual people. Back when people actually did case tracing, there was basically no cases firmly linked to an infected surface rather than breathing in a infectious persons air. Covid has always been a airborne disease, not a surface contact one - all the hand washing and cleanimg surfaces promoted in the early pandemic by the WHO did nothing against covid (it was very useful against the common cold however)

Bleaching your shopping in the bath is fun though, don't let pesky science stop you.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Yeah, they were very into surface contamination at the start of the epidemic, i was wearing disposable gloves & masks constantly for the first 18 months... better safe than sorry.

On the plus side i still wear masks when shopping/banking etc and i haven't had a cold, flu or covid in all that time.... so far. :peanut:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Runcible Cat posted:

You are my Destined Enemy. Aroint ye, fiend!
There was a couple of years where we had some kind of foil/plastic backed paper that was basically impossible to tear as well, some people had to resort to scissors or knives to get into my gifts 🎅🏻

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nothingtoseehere posted:

So priority of wearing a mask and staying out of peoples way to help prevent the spread?

Thanks for that, it's why I ask questions here I always know someone has looked into it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Bleaching your shopping in the bath is fun though, don't let pesky science stop you.

Nice try but we will not allow chlorinated chicken to be normalised.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
All the contact study stuff for covid is useless, every study used starting concentrations way higher than you would find in real life.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
e: Wrong thread

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Apparently Glinner is back on Twitter 🤮

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TACD posted:

Apparently Glinner is back on Twitter 🤮

as I tweeted the other day, we are drowning in the desert of divorce

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea - if you want to minimise your chance infecting others, wear a mask which fits firmly to your face, and minimise how much time you spend in indoor places even masked. If you can, make sure windows are open or in places with constant airflow.

But also, covid is endemic in society, so even if you are cautious then people will probably be infected whatever you do. It's a good thing that we have a functional healthcare system to catch serious cases...

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I've said this before on SA and I'll ask again, please don't post glinner.

glinner didn't get a visit from the police because he was mean to trans women, he was investigated because he ran a targeted real life hate campaign against my friend Amy. He had her beaten up and put in hospital, had bricks thrown through her window and had her followed and photographed. Then he put those pictures up on his twitter. Her "crime" was living a street away from his ex-wife's shop. They couldn't prove he had instigated the attacks, so did him for the doxxing. During the second lockdown she was so scared about what he would do while her boyfriend was away she came to live with me for the duration.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well I knew glinner was a divorced oval office but I hadn't been aware he was that much of one.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Yea - if you want to minimise your chance infecting others, wear a mask which fits firmly to your face, and minimise how much time you spend in indoor places even masked. If you can, make sure windows are open or in places with constant airflow.

But also, covid is endemic in society, so even if you are cautious then people will probably be infected whatever you do. It's a good thing that we have a functional healthcare system to catch serious cases...

Great, thanks. I'm isolating in my back room at the moment so the missus doesn't come into contact with me and I work outdoors but will wear a mask at work. Mind you half the people at work believe either COVID is just a common cold or a conspiracy to control us.

learnincurve posted:

glinner didn't get a visit from the police because he was mean to trans women, he was investigated because he ran a targeted real life hate campaign against my friend Amy. He had her beaten up and put in hospital, had bricks thrown through her window and had her followed and photographed. Then he put those pictures up on his twitter. Her "crime" was living a street away from his ex-wife's shop. They couldn't prove he had instigated the attacks, so did him for the doxxing. During the second lockdown she was so scared about what he would do while her boyfriend was away she came to live with me for the duration.

loving hell, I'm sorry for your friend. Glinner is a loving menace. How did he manage to do that and they not prove he was instigating the attacks? It's always the worst people that get away with it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They think he was either winding a group of young lads up in the pub, or paying them, but he left no evidence other than these pictures that had been texted to him which was the only thing they could nail him on. We think he was paying them because there have been no incidents since he lost twitter/the divorce.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

In my whole time on twitter I've only ever muted stupid cunts, but it feels like now there are so many harassers like libs of tiktok / andrew tate / glinner who'll casually destroy your real life for laughs that there's a growing list of accounts i'm starting to block, to make it slightly more inconvenient if they decide to retweet a dumb take of mine.

I'm a tiny, non-notable account, so hopefully it won't be worth the hassle, but if they decide to target someone, I'm aware they have multiple ways round it, and bigger leftist accounts end up getting completely hosed.

Like in the past I've thought "man there are a lot of stupid cunts on there" and at worst figured I don't want to see them, but more and more now it seems like there are accounts that are dangerous, and you don't want them to see you.

E: like a while ago I replied to a shitpost by philosophytube abi, and it seems like someone has a bot set up to reply to everyone who replies to her with a bunch of horrible allegations. I muted the account, but I mean it's still there, which is hosed up.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 23, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Just Another Lurker posted:

Yeah, they were very into surface contamination at the start of the epidemic, i was wearing disposable gloves & masks constantly for the first 18 months... better safe than sorry.

On the plus side i still wear masks when shopping/banking etc and i haven't had a cold, flu or covid in all that time.... so far. :peanut:

I still wear masks when shopping or on a busy street, but I have had the most humdingorous cold in the last 2 weeks, it's been clear for a couple of days but now today I have a sore throat, blocked nose & headache again (but negative covid) so I think I'm getting another one (genuinely & unrelated to yesterday's 'how do I get out of boxing day shenanigans with the family' topic).

Gift bags chat:
Yes we try and do that, much better.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

learnincurve posted:

Wow - I had no idea about that! Hope she's ok now.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

In my whole time on twitter I've only ever muted stupid cunts, but it feels like now there are so many harassers like libs of tiktok / andrew tate / glinner who'll casually destroy your real life for laughs that there's a growing list of accounts i'm starting to block, to make it slightly more inconvenient if they decide to retweet a dumb take of mine.

I'm a tiny, non-notable account, so hopefully it won't be worth the hassle, but if they decide to target someone, I'm aware they have multiple ways round it, and bigger leftist accounts end up getting completely hosed.

Like in the past I've thought "man there are a lot of stupid cunts on there" and at worst figured I don't want to see them, but more and more now it seems like there are accounts that are dangerous, and you don't want them to see you.

My twitter has been choc full of right wing nutcases since Melon Husk took over - noone I follow but people who I follow follows (news people like Guru Murthy who I guess follow the nutters for work reasons) I've started muting the truly worst ones but sadly I find myself sucked into commenting on their crap. Trying to stop myself! I'm a nobody with 11 followers or some such so they probably think I'm a Russian Troll (why does how many followers you've got mean anything? Just coz you might have 20 million followers doesn't mean you're not an arse. Dave Gorman did one of his shows on buying followers.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 23, 2022

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
still a few days of 2022 left, we should get a new prime minister in just to secure the record

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

As we're doing covid chat, reminder that if you haven't had a fourth booster yet you can go to any walk-in centre, say "i spend a lot of time with/live with someone vulnerable and was told to get a booster" and they will jab you no further questions asked

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

blunt posted:

As we're doing covid chat, reminder that if you haven't had a fourth booster yet you can go to any walk-in centre, say "i spend a lot of time with/live with someone vulnerable and was told to get a booster" and they will jab you no further questions asked

I very much doubt that.

They'll want to ask which arm you want the jab in

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Microplastics posted:

I very much doubt that.

They'll want to ask which arm you want the jab in

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I was walking past one and accidentally said it and they threw a needle out the window at me.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

bessantj posted:

Am I remembering right that the virus can last on some surfaces for up to 3 days?

Yes but transmission via fomites is so rare it's barely worth thinking about

The mask is the single most important thing, far and away, and the better the mask the better

Edit thoroughly beaten, but what everyone's already said is spot on.

Bessantj if you're going to be in public get an unvalved n95/ffp2 that has headstraps (NOT ear loops, they're real bad)

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 23, 2022

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was walking past one and accidentally said it and they threw a needle out the window at me.

Here’s a thing that happened to one of my friends. I was there.

Basically, we were walking down the sidewalk, talking about something meaningless. I think it had to do with spending time with someone vulnerable. Then this bus screeches up, stops next to us, and a bunch of people with “Down with Covid” shirts climbed out and started injecting him with the booster. I was injected a bit too, but I managed to avoid a full dose by going for their faces. After figuring out what’s happening, I started attacking them back, getting them off of him. He was quite immunised but I called 911 and he got a full infection at the hospital. I was fine, with only a small cut on my arm that they patched up.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

blunt posted:

Has there been any info on future boosters yet? Do we even know if they’re going to keep producing / distributing them in future years?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/IndyPolitics/status/1606276491179876353

:allears:

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Anyone got the link posted upthread to the gender talk? Thought it would be in my library but it isn't, trying to do me a learno

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

jenny eclair, jim davidson, the dog from the 1970s that said SAW SAH DJES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
and rik waller