Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Oh, no, I see how this works. It follows that if you have a Kickdrum, you should also have a few Punchdrums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
This looks like it could be a good stick exercise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe7bWj1p_Xw

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I ordered a practice pad, a set of sticks, and a copy of Stick Control. I hope that's still good advice.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Hellblazer187 posted:

I ordered a practice pad, a set of sticks, and a copy of Stick Control. I hope that's still good advice.

forever and always.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I can use like, the regular grip I see most modern drummers using (I guess this is called matched grip) with those excerises, right? Or is there any particular reason to start our with the traditional grip?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Hellblazer187 posted:

I can use like, the regular grip I see most modern drummers using (I guess this is called matched grip) with those excerises, right? Or is there any particular reason to start our with the traditional grip?

Outside of some very specific situations like traditional jazz or an actual marching band, there isn't usually a mechanical advantage to trad vs matched. It does however look cooler. If you're just starting out self-taught I'd say stick with matched, wait until you take a few lessons or have a drum buddy to really dip into trad grip to make sure you're doing it right.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I play matched. I grew up playing it and I can't generate consistent power with my left hand playing traditional.

I do think it looks cooler, though. Probably because that's how Dave Weckl plays.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

AndrewP posted:

I play matched. I grew up playing it and I can't generate consistent power with my left hand playing traditional.

I do think it looks cooler, though. Probably because that's how Dave Weckl plays.

It's definitely possible to blast the drums with trad grip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrwUeFGNMxY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifybcr2Goag

But it's main focus is on giving you more control with a lighter touch like sitting in with a jazz trio where the drumkit is 2ft away from everyone and needs to not bury all the quieter (weaker :twisted: ) instruments.

Unrelated, be sure to practice your rudiments every day lest ye be smited by Drum God:
https://twitter.com/atheist_bad/status/1604667958768304128

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 20, 2022

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

This falls under "Old Man Yells at Power Toms" territory, but he does have a point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0V4Aqs2D48

And Neil's take on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8lo_FZ5SWM

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I keep not getting this delivery. Bummer.

Edit: I ended up getting my pad and sticks that afternoon, and did like 20 minutes of exercises from stick control, and then another 25 minutes today. After messing around I actually think traditional grip is more comfortable for me? I play guitar (badly) and having my left hand externally rotated/right hand internally rotated is how I do that. Also matches my under/over grip for heavy deadlifts. On the other hand I spend significantly more time at a computer keyboard with both hands internally rotated so I don't know. Whatever, I'll keep playing around with this and see how it feels for a month and if I like it I'll buy an electric kit.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 23, 2022

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think Buddy's point is dumb and it was just A Different Time when incredibly technical drummers playing matched grip just weren't around yet. Also his snare is literally angled away from him so of course it feels like poo poo to play.

Neil's point resonates though. I've been playing around with traditional grip a lot recently and while I'm definitely not as technically good with it (not even close really), it does seem like I can play a little more simply but enjoy it more. And it seems a little less taxing to just sit on a groove for a while. Maybe just because it's new and novel, I dunno. But I do need to practice my technique a lot to get consistent rim shots and power with it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Buddy was a....very opinionated person.

Neil went back to match grip, but would change it up here and there.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

If trad grip is so good why not do it with both hands, huh?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
In college I was taking my one half-hour of required drum set lessons with this old school hippie-type guy who was the university's former professor-turned-emeritus jazz guy, and ahead of time I decided I would use traditional grip (y'know, cause it's cool?)

During like the second or third lesson he said "So, uh, I noticed you're using this traditional grip, and it's...kind of lame."

I turned my left hand over on that day, and it has remained in that position to this very day. The inside of my left wrist hasn't seen the sky in 15 years

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
If you ever meet a marching snare drummer, ask them to show you the disgusting wart-bump on the inside of their left ring finger cuticle

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

timp posted:

If you ever meet a marching snare drummer, ask them to show you the disgusting wart-bump on the inside of their left ring finger cuticle

Yep, I had one of those and it was gross.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I totally forgot that Stewart Copeland plays traditional grip. He's also a very underrated drummer and Rush borrowed a LOT from the Police.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBLyQXIPyxg

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Aren't there records from other contemporaries of the Police where Stewart was brought in just to play hi-hats?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Copeland has such a cool style.

I assume most traditional grip guys were jazz players early and got comfy with it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I've been to several jazz concerts where the drummer would change grip during or between songs.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

I was taught matched first, then decided to learn trad as well for poops and giggles. Now trad is the just default and my left hand just does it when I pick up the sticks without thinking. That's my stick grip story.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
How is Copeland "underrated"? :psyduck:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How do you hit the edge of the cymbal with a matched grip though? I'm not really a drummer, just a bass player who still hasn't gotten a drum kit, but that seems like a situation where you'd need a traditional grip for it not to be awkward.

I did finally get my five year old this drum for Christmas. I'm going to slightly regret it I'm sure, but hopefully he'll have fun:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

How do you hit the edge of the cymbal with a matched grip though?

Timestamp'd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrwUeFGNMxY&t=280s

BonHair posted:

I did finally get my five year old this drum for Christmas. I'm going to slightly regret it I'm sure, but hopefully he'll have fun:

Do you want Bozzios? Because that's how you get Bozzios.

https://twitter.com/TrentMoorman/status/730141922765864960

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Colonel J posted:

How is Copeland "underrated"? :psyduck:

I probably used the wrong word. He's more of a drummer's Drummer I guess? He's also a successful composer which should cancel out most Dumb Drummer jokes.

Niko McBrain is another rock drummer who I think doesn't get enough credit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij99dud8-0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QEb0iZ9uxc

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 27, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ I agree that "drummer's drummer" is more apt a description for Copeland, although I don't necessarily think 'underrated' is that far off the mark either. IDK for sure because I wasn't alive when the Police were huge, but I get the impression that their punk/new-wave roots and reggae chops put them in a different box than their peers; they weren't looked to as virtuosos even though they almost certainly were. I had no idea about his composition credits though, lmao the Spyro games, that rules.

Takes No Damage posted:

Terry Bozzio's kit

gently caress yeah. Say what you will about self-indulgent prog rock musicians, Terry is the real deal. I forgot this wasn't the Tweets thread for a second and was going to explain his chromatically-tuned toms, but obviously I don't need to do that here.

However, if you haven't heard Black Light Syndrome, get on that poo poo right now. As far as prog supergroups go, you'd expect Bozzio, Tony Levin and Steve Stevens to make some of the wankiest poo poo ever, but it's actually incredibly tasteful and emotive, at least compared to their contemporaries like Liquid Tension Experiment.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 27, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I get what you guys are talking about with guys like Copeland and McBrain, not underrated but maybe their names don't come up as often when talking about notable drummers. But if you really take a look at their bodies of work you see what monsters they are.

Mister Speaker posted:

However, if you haven't heard Black Light Syndrome, get on that poo poo right now. As far as prog supergroups go, you'd expect Bozzio, Tony Levin and Steve Stevens to make some of the wankiest poo poo ever, but it's actually incredibly tasteful and emotive, at least compared to their contemporaries like Liquid Tension Experiment.

Situation Dangerous is one of my favorite instrumental albums and one of the few :airquote: Prog records I can tolerate the whole way through.

See also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUmGk8eq0pQ
If you're in a hurry just listen to track 3, Jack Palance the Ninja :ninja:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

EDIT: Holy poo poo that band is amazing thank you! ^^

This is really cool and now I want a smoke drum. Pretty cool that they rotate out who plays what set to keep it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlujVBzSaps

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 3, 2023

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bonzo posted:

This is really cool and now I want a smoke drum. Pretty cool that they rotate out who plays what set to keep it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlujVBzSaps

Stick a bowl of dry ice inside your kick drum and one of those goofy big port holes in the front skin, job done.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That reminds me, if you want to use the DIY method to turn a regular kick drum front head into a ported head, make sure the coffee can is heated up wicked loving hot and also that it's not bent in any way, in other words that the can has a proper bearing edge on it. Otherwise you will unevenly melt the head and probably rip it when you try to remove the can.

Or better yet, don't do that at all and just buy a head with a port in it.

EDIT: Do you think the Blue Man Group have done any Avatar-themed stuff like suing James Cameron for plaigarism?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh for gently caress's sake.

Earth, Wind & Fire drummer Fred White dies aged 67

2023 off to a great start. :smith:

EDIT: And when I shared this with a friend, they told me the drummer from Modest Mouse died yesterday. gently caress. :(

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 3, 2023

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I've wanted to learn drums forever (my dad has been a drummer since he was a teenager). So I picked up a cheapo Donner DED-100 and signed up for drumeo, and it's actually starting to click, at least more than any other musical attempt I've ever made.

One thing I'm having trouble with on this set is the hi-hat. It seems really difficult to hold it anywhere between wide open and closed, it's very "digital", I guess. I've read that the hi-hat is usually a weak point with edrum sets, even on more expensive ones, but is there anything I can do to improve the performance of the pedal?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I've wanted to learn drums forever (my dad has been a drummer since he was a teenager). So I picked up a cheapo Donner DED-100 and signed up for drumeo, and it's actually starting to click, at least more than any other musical attempt I've ever made.

One thing I'm having trouble with on this set is the hi-hat. It seems really difficult to hold it anywhere between wide open and closed, it's very "digital", I guess. I've read that the hi-hat is usually a weak point with edrum sets, even on more expensive ones, but is there anything I can do to improve the performance of the pedal?

spend 1000$ on the latest and greatest roland e-hi hat, but that’ll only get you 90% of the way there. second best one is like 800$ and sucks. otherwise no

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The best Roland hihat is digital USB connected and only works on TD50s and TD27s right now.

VH11 is the one people usually go for - it’s one you need a hi hat stand for. but it might just be your module. I’d keep tweaking the settings and see if it improves.

If you really want to pursue this as a hobby and can only play edrums, I’d eventually look into a Roland or Yamaha kit. Even used older ones are going to be better than the Donner. The cheapo sets are fun to start with but it sounds like you’re already starting to run into the limitations they have.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 4, 2023

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

AndrewP posted:

The best Roland hihat is digital USB connected and only works on TD50s and TD27s right now.

VH11 is the one people usually go for - it’s one you need a hi hat stand for. but it might just be your module. I’d keep tweaking the settings and see if it improves.

If you really want to pursue this as a hobby and can only play edrums, I’d eventually look into a Roland or Yamaha kit. Even used older ones are going to be better than the Donner. The cheapo sets are fun to start with but it sounds like you’re already starting to run into the limitations they have.

I'm happy with the set now, was mainly just wondering if I could mess with the settings on the module to change anything with the hi-hat. Not a huge deal either way.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I've admitted to myself that playing electronic kits just doesn't do it for me. I know it may sound weird, but the feel of the drums and cymbals was part of the rush for me. Being able to raise your foot just so, and then hit the hi-hat at just the right angle to get a certain sound... I can't do that on a current kit.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I started with edrums because Rock Band was my gateway. I've got a decent Roland setup now, but really want to go acoustic and have no room for two kits. :cry:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I got an edrum set as well and the bass pedal doesn't work lol. I'll eventually upgrade components on it by buying used modules and/or pads next time I'm in the US and can buy things without huge import taxes

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010
I recently bought the TD-50KV2 (because I'm an idiot) and it's pretty drat awesome. The hi-hat really does feel as close as you could get to a real one without actually being a real one. My only complaint about it is that I can't quite get the sounds out of some of the pads that I'd like. There are a lot of sounds on the thing and most of them sound good, but there are so many options on each one that I struggle to get them to sound really great. I will say though, using Moises to rip the drums out of songs and them jamming along with them is extremely fun on an electric kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

^ Congrats on the kit, those hats are indeed sick. I wish they didn't cost a $1k to buy them separately.

https://theedrumworkshop.com/en-us

This guy has some really nice custom kits for purchase if you're looking for some good sounds.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 6, 2023