Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Bakery video, neat to see what the techniques look like scaled up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKIdHf-Bcpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tezer posted:

Bakery video, neat to see what the techniques look like scaled up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKIdHf-Bcpg

Would God that my bakery job were half so competently run

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My understanding is a biga is for improving flavour - as such, does it matter if it overproofs?

Edit: The one I made last night had got big and gassy and when I smelled it today it smelled sour. I presume that's a good thing.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 22, 2022

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

My understanding is a biga is for improving flavour - as such, does it matter if it overproofs?

Edit: The one I made last night had got big and gassy and when I smelled it today it smelled sour. I presume that's a good thing.

In my experience, yes it absolutely matters if it overproofs, and yes it smelling funky is a good thing.

Regarding the first point, you kind of want your preferment to be visibly releasing a bubble, every few seconds. I used to throw it in the oven with the light on, overnight, and by the time I got to it, in the morning, it would be completely gassed out. The resulting bread was always waxy and dense.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, I put something somewhere on a counter which bumped this which bumped that and there went the Le Creuset I have been using for my loaves. I have others and all but it looks like it's time I looked into cloches. It really looks like the Challenger is the best but I just can't muster myself to blow $300 on it. I see a bunch of ceramic ones that I expect to eventually break* so I'd rather stuck to metal. The best compromise I see is the Lodge combo that has a skillet top and a Dutch Oven base. Or, in the case of the bread, the skillet goes on the bottom. It's just round though and I'd like something that is more rectangular so I have more options.

*I'll eventually have another wood-fired oven going on. I don't need a cloche for that technically, but I like to put stuff at the front of the oven while it's warming up or when I'm doing a bunch of cooking so it's best I have robust metal stuff since ceramic can't take being dragged around inside a wood-fired oven very well.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I have an 8x4" loaf pan and a 9x5" loaf pan I use for a lid. One is stainless steel and the other is aluminum, but it works out well enough.

Maybe see if some of the ceramic or cast iron casserole dishes work? I've used my Pyrex casseroles for bread quite a bit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

[Sorry, didn't read what you said, missed that you'd already ruled out ceramic.]

The Lodge combo works great for me. Have you considered a Roemertopf or equivalent? I found one cheap at a thrift store. Soak the lid in water, put the dough in, bake, and you get a gorgeous crust. Works fine without the water, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Romertopf/

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Believe it or not, the Martha Stewart brand makes a very affordable dutch oven. I got a 5qt one as a wedding gift in 2009 and it was pretty much perfect for 10+ years, with the enamel eventually cracking. Just got a 8qt one for under $100. Would recommend.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have two other dutch ovens I can lean on but they're a little bigger. I already tried one of them and I just get a wider, flatter loaf out of it.

I'm not interested in getting another dutch oven for bread unless I can flip it over. I've been dumping the banneton into the dutch oven and the dough takes a concussion and flattens out. I think it also screws up the skin so I never get to score it particularly well.

So let's enter Rocko's Annoying Left Brain Paralysis World. The top contender really is the Challenger bread pan. It's very well-designed for doing bread. It's also $300. Le Creuset just came out with their own cloche, and it's also $300, and I think just generally not as well designed as the Challenger. It's circular so I'm pretty much still stuck with artisinal loaves.

There's the Lodge cast iron one with the skillet on top and the dutch oven on the bottom. Cheap but only circular. I mean, who wants some goofy rounded rectangular skillet? Hmm, maybe as a griddle. I shouldn't knock that. It doesn't exist though.

So here's a comedy option that just kind of came up for me: The Big Green Egg Oval Dutch Oven. The top is flat and the handles don't get in the way. I don't know how well it seals, or much of anything else about it. All I found online about it so far are a bunch of BBQ duders that haven't touched a dutch oven before making chili in one in a Big Green Egg in a unprepared, single take video (the usual).

But wait . . . why not just flip a dutch oven over? A lot of their lids are not actually flat so you end up with a goofy loaf. The lids also are a real adventure to get out of the oven (with or without the knob attached). Yeah, I tried it...

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Made some bread. Slightly overcooked but it's good

Turned the rest of it into a pan pizza which was also good

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 24, 2022

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

But wait . . . why not just flip a dutch oven over?

I've done this, sans lid, on top of a pizza stone and had good results. The downside is the terror of relying on the friction grip of your ove gloves to keep from dropping the 450 degree Dutch oven onto your stone, since the handles usually don't work well upside down. I don't think it would work with cloth mitts that don't have silicone or other material for grip.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Made some bread. Slightly overcooked but it's good

Overcooked my butt, that looks basically perfect.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

you ate my cat posted:

I've done this, sans lid, on top of a pizza stone and had good results. The downside is the terror of relying on the friction grip of your ove gloves to keep from dropping the 450 degree Dutch oven onto your stone, since the handles usually don't work well upside down. I don't think it would work with cloth mitts that don't have silicone or other material for grip.

Yeah I can feel this. If the task was just to get the inverted, hot dutch over on to the hot, flat surface and off again, you could do some stuff with some sliding around. But then there's a wad of food involved and you have to get it over the top of it. Now stuff is being held up and dropped to initially placed it and then lifted up and off afterwards.

The Challenger bread pan has the best ergonomics of everything I've seen since it has these wing handles that can be grabbed high up with both hands. It would be a goofy thing for a dutch oven to have and one of the reasons I was looking to specialize more into a real cloche of some kind.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Overcooked my butt, that looks basically perfect.

Yeah I was worried about it when I pulled it out but it ended up being perfect. Pretty baguette like but i just made a basic salt and yeast dough and put it in fridge overnight.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
From a few days ago, tried a different cut on top which might have helped the rise? Possibly better shaping as well.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If any of you are looking for stocking stuffers, buy your friend/partner/cat Paprika. You pay for it on each platform you use it on: desktop, phone, other phone.

You are wandering around the Web and you trip across a recipe you're interested; say the sour-cream-and-chive rolls upthread. You hit a bookmarklet in your browser and the recipe is parsed into ingredients, instructions, and any random metadata (total cooking time, calories, whatever) included on the page. The resulting data are uploaded into your personal database. All the musings about your childhood dog and his fondness for cow manure? Gone.

Then you take your phone into the kitchen. It synchs to your cloud. You pull out your phone, put it in a stand (what are we, peasants, here), and open Paprika. It has synched to the cloud, and the recipe is at the top of the most-recent list. It's in two tabs: ingredients and instructions. You flip between them with a touch. While Paprika is open, it keeps your phone from timing out; when you have two hands full of scallions about to tip into boiling oil, it is no time to have to unlock the phone.

Man, it simplifies your life. If you want to leave notes on the recipe or just update it, you can. There are also the usual doodads where you can take a recipe and it will autoscale, you can abstract out the ingredients into a shopping list, you can set timers ... I don't use those, but I'm sure they're useful.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Best personal cookbook i ever bought; love using it on iPad

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If any of you are looking for stocking stuffers, buy your friend/partner/cat Paprika. You pay for it on each platform you use it on: desktop, phone, other phone.

You are wandering around the Web and you trip across a recipe you're interested; say the sour-cream-and-chive rolls upthread. You hit a bookmarklet in your browser and the recipe is parsed into ingredients, instructions, and any random metadata (total cooking time, calories, whatever) included on the page. The resulting data are uploaded into your personal database. All the musings about your childhood dog and his fondness for cow manure? Gone.

Then you take your phone into the kitchen. It synchs to your cloud. You pull out your phone, put it in a stand (what are we, peasants, here), and open Paprika. It has synched to the cloud, and the recipe is at the top of the most-recent list. It's in two tabs: ingredients and instructions. You flip between them with a touch. While Paprika is open, it keeps your phone from timing out; when you have two hands full of scallions about to tip into boiling oil, it is no time to have to unlock the phone.

Man, it simplifies your life. If you want to leave notes on the recipe or just update it, you can. There are also the usual doodads where you can take a recipe and it will autoscale, you can abstract out the ingredients into a shopping list, you can set timers ... I don't use those, but I'm sure they're useful.

That sounds brilliant. Post it to GWS gen chat.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Who else is up early baking bread today?

Vienna loaves, originally Mister Facetious's recipe, but I made it into no-knead: upped the hydration to 66% and reduced the yeast to 1%. Left the dough to bulk on the counter for 8hrs overnight, woke up early to bake, and now have two delicious loaves ready to go for Christmas lunch again.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I started the Bon Appetit chive rolls yesterday afternoon, planning to shape that evening and chill in the fridge overnight. Right after supper, I checked and the first dough hadn't risen at all. We just replaced our fridge that had wildly inconsistent temperatures, so I have to assume the yeast envelopes in the fridge dated from the old fridge. I sighed, proofed yeast from a freshly-opened bag of Red Star, kneaded the yeast in, corrected the flour, and put it in a Cambro in the fridge to rise. This morning it's doubled; I'm bringing it up to room temperature and then will shape and bake.

Always an adventure!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

effika posted:

Who else is up early baking bread today?

Not today, but i did just polish off last night's biscuits for lunch.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Just made scones (lemon cardamom) this morning, hadn't made them in so long I forgot a bunch of steps and technique, they came out really gooey and not that good. Sad times.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sour cream rolls, half with chives (salt and pepper), half without (sesame seeds)

e: No, I can't scale for beans.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sour cream rolls, half with chives (salt and pepper), half without (sesame seeds)

Those look incredible.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Those look delicious!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I tried to make French bread in the bread machine, using the 1.5 lb recipe provided by the manufacturer:

It does two mixing cycles and I noticed that after the first cycle, the dough wasn't cohering together into one ball. It seemed like the dough was way too dry.

I added 1/4 cup water and mixed it up by hand and then it baked more or less normally, though the texture wasn't great. Is lack of water probably the main issue with this recipe?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I tried to make French bread in the bread machine, using the 1.5 lb recipe provided by the manufacturer:

It does two mixing cycles and I noticed that after the first cycle, the dough wasn't cohering together into one ball. It seemed like the dough was way too dry.

I added 1/4 cup water and mixed it up by hand and then it baked more or less normally, though the texture wasn't great. Is lack of water probably the main issue with this recipe?

Yes, probably. Have you made other breads successfully in the machine? Generally less water equals denser loaf.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

therattle posted:

Yes, probably. Have you made other breads successfully in the machine? Generally less water equals denser loaf.

I've had better results with this machine than the first one I tried. White bread comes out fine. It's similar to the French recipe but adds 3 tbsp butter, which seems to make the dough mix better. Pretty boring bread though.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Oh, and I found a good breadbox. It says BREAD in case you forget and the lid is heavy enough to defeat my cat. Bread and cookies stay good for over a week without preservatives.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B088DHGBZF?th=1

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

flour has ~ half density as water so that's a bit north of 50% hydration. Definitely on the stiffer side.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hmmm using liters for the flour is fishy, but I could see that being basically a pasta brick if that recipe was taken as weight instead.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hmmm using liters for the flour is fishy, but I could see that being basically a pasta brick if that recipe was taken as weight instead.

I mean I'm pretty sure I didn't put 830 grams of flour in there. It wouldn't even fit in the machine

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I made these too but scaled them to an 8x8 pan

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

10% Khorasan sourdough. Got great Color on the crust but wish I got a touch more rise. My starter was coming off a week in the fridge with 3 feedings ahead of this but probably could’ve used some more.

I’ve been trying to push bulk longer based on this thread’s advice and this was fridged at 8 hrs from the mix in of the starter and cold proofed for 12. There’s a chance it could be a touch overproofed and that’s what’s reducing the rise.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The loaf looks like a medium roasted coffee bean in the best way.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

The loaf looks like a medium roasted coffee bean in the best way.

I’ve found I can get that really shiny crisp crust by soaking the loaf with a spray bottle when I take it out of the Dutch oven after the first bake. I then bake it right on the oven rack for another 20 minutes, spraying it again and rotating the loaf halfway through.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think you're gonna need to give crumb shots if youre looking for constructive feedback, it looks blistery and well made.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I think you're gonna need to give crumb shots if youre looking for constructive feedback, it looks blistery and well made.

Just cut it open, looks better than I expected. Super even crumb

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Regarding cold proof times, I will cold ferment pizza for a week and the outer edge of the crust will still nicely puff up. I think I have fridged some bread doughs for days and been fine afterwards. Generally, I would not immediately conclude you over proofed just from what I read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I use Paprika and its really good for me. Not being American is can be tough to find a recipe app that works with normal units but paprika keeps it really simple and it can scrape most recipe sites. I enter my own recipes as well which it's good for.

Best present I got this year was Maurizio Leo's book The Perfect Loaf. Its life his website basically but the recipes are laid out beautifully and all in grams which is perfect. Made a whole wheat honey pan loaf from it the other day and it turned out really nice.